* * * * * 84 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free Epic

#110821 Dark_Sage   Superior CAGiversary!   3572 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:26 AM

I mean just linking to a screenshot of the dlc page doesn't really refute any of the arguments that were made in the posts you quoted

I don't know who you are, but I bet you love Epic.

#110822 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8811 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:30 AM

I don't know who you are, but I bet you love Epic.

man this is a totally constructive and substantive post as well, well done

#110823 Dark_Sage   Superior CAGiversary!   3572 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:31 AM

man this is a totally constructive and substantive post as well, well done

Thanks, newfriend. You make great posts as well!

#110824 hal   Game Hoarder CAGiversary!   5744 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:32 AM

Yeah, this is totally DLC done right:

Spoiler

What? Is there some kind of content limit a developer can release for their game?

Lots of DLC =/= Everything wrong with DLC

#110825 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10956 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:04 AM

BL2 DLC was fine with the only notable exception being the Headhunter DLC that were clearly intended to be free holiday mini-patches but someone decided they should be sold for money.  The cosmetic stuff can be completely ignored.

#110826 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4721 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:26 AM

We already get all that for free in this thread tho

Free like your Mom?? No more freebees for you in the thread. That was the Beta period. Mine ended but I think your Mom missed hers! Period, that is!! ZIIIIING!! OK, now that was the last freebee!

Since someone posted a discount code on SLICKDEALS.NET, here is one for CAG to get the low cost of $6.96/min. Use code: "YOURMOTHERSAWHORE"

#110827 BMXJouster   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1429 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:37 AM

Octopath Traveler is coming to Steam.

Octopath Traveler was already released on Steam on the 7th.

#110828 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5010 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:09 PM

Man, the KS comments page for Shenmue 3 is going nuts.

giphy.gif

#110829 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5835 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:45 PM

Man, the KS comments page for Shenmue 3 is going nuts.giphy.gif

I think they have a point and anyone who wants a refund should get their money back plus 50%. They are investors and without that money the game never would have been done.

It's fucking sad how they treated their fans in this.

#110830 RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial   Better Than You CAGiversary!   21129 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:50 PM

That's always been the problem with KS though.  People see themselves as "investors" but Kickstarter and the devs treat them at best like customers, at worst like donors.  It's a crappy system and I don't know why people keep supporting KS projects.  Again and again you have people run away with money and deliver nothing or deliver unfinished products and call it a day.  I don't think it's all nefarious, I think a lot of devs just severely underestimate the amount of time and money it takes to make these games.  That's why they are devs and not business owners or CEOs.

Here's my take on Shenmue 3.  Too bad, so sad.  Seriously.  If you put your money into such a stupid system you deserve to get screwed.  If Shenmue 3 is only a timed exclusive, the devs should do the right thing and give people Steam keys one year later or whatever.  If it's not a timed exclusive there are no Steam keys to give so Epic keys are what are available.   

By this point, there is no KS money to refund to anyone.  That money has been spent for whatever the game is at this point.  They likely realized they ran out of money and the game was nowhere near complete and these deals with Deep Silver and Epic are for them to get more cash and actually finish the game.  Between not delivering anything and delivering a complete game on Epic, I think Epic is the better solution.  Epic isn't going to let whatever money they pumped into the game be used to pay back unhappy early pre-orders.  This is game development, not a ponzi scheme.  

#110831 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11113 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:00 PM

It's a crappy system and I don't know why people keep supporting KS projects.

When you're not dealing with shitty liars and conmen, it actually works quite well.

#110832 Miker525  

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:38 PM

Damn I missed humble bundles hacking book bundle (the one with Ida pro and the hacking the Xbox book). If anyone was able to get it can you pm me?

#110833 bers817  

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:50 PM

Do steam cards every go on sale? I thought Fry's had the $100 cards on sale for like $85 last week but I do not have a Fry's in my state. I'm curious what others have witnessed over the years. 

#110834 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10956 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:02 PM

If Kickstarter has taught us anything it's that publishers often play a valuable role in the game development process.

#110835 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4721 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:50 PM

I think they have a point and anyone who wants a refund should get their money back plus 50%. They are investors and without that money the game never would have been done.

The problem is people who support a Kickstarter are not investors, they are donators. You are paying for the possibility of the creator maybe doing something someday. I do not disagree kicksharter is not clear on this, but given that they have 4 rules, 2 which boil down to "be excellent to each other", I would think people need to turn their skepticism meter up several notches. Or not... Shine on, you crazy diamonds!

#110836 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4721 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:54 PM

When you're not dealing with shitty liars and conmen, it actually works quite well.

Kicksharter after you remove liars, con-men and devs who think it's easy to turn an idea into a delivered product (that at a minimum breaks even):

giphy.gif

#110837 Nephilim_BC  

Nephilim_BC

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:03 PM

Cyberpunk looks interesting. Cant wait to get it on sale then let it sit in my backlog until 2077

#110838 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5010 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:32 PM

I don’t disagree, but as someone who’s been affected when KS projects remove support for entire platforms, I find it a bit amusing when all the outrage pours out over a different storefront.

Not saying they shouldn’t be upset, I’m just wondering where all this anger was on games like Shantae, Bloodstained, and Hyper Light Drifter.

#110839 BobbyTastic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9064 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

BobbyTastic

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:47 PM

I don’t disagree, but as someone who’s been affected when KS projects remove support for entire platforms, I find it a bit amusing when all the outrage pours out over a different storefront.

Not saying they shouldn’t be upset, I’m just wondering where all this anger was on games like Shantae, Bloodstained, and Hyper Light Drifter.

I imagine it's because it's affecting more people and not platforms considered "niche" (Vita) or "dead" (3DS/Wii U).
But I agree that hating on Epic is trendy.

#110840 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11113 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:35 PM

Kicksharter after you remove liars, con-men and devs who think it's easy to turn an idea into a delivered product (that at a minimum breaks even):

I've gotten numerous successful projects through KS.  But you don't get it when you're dealing with conmen who lie and refuse to meet their obligations and people fall all over themselves making excuses for them shrug.gif

#110841 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4721 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:03 AM

I've gotten numerous successful projects through KS. But you don't get it when you're dealing with conmen who lie and refuse to meet their obligations and people fall all over themselves making excuses for them shrug.gif

Depends how you define "success". We just talked about those that don't intend or just never deliver. We haven't even talked about those projects that are months (I'm being generous here) or years late. Is that a success? I guess if you have Stockholm Syndrome.

I've watched the RPG/miniatures segment of kicksharter for a number of years (that makes me an expert!) . It's quite the dumpster fire. Kinda reminds me of those indie devs on Steam that fail to deliver steam keys or revoke steam keys and are shocked that people react negatively to those shenanigans. Whodathunkit???

#110842 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11113 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:10 AM

Depends how you define "success".

Delivering the promised rewards to their backers and (depending on intent) taking it to market.

In any event, "But.. but... Kickstarter!!!" isn't an excuse for these guys to fail to deliver on the promised product (Steam key, as selected in the backer kit) or offer a refund.  Nor is "lol that's what you get for Kickstarter" an excuse for them being shady shits who failed to deliver as promised.  All it does is exonerate shitty devs for failing to meet their obligations by pretending it doesn't matter due to the platform.

#110843 BreadNiblets   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1235 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

BreadNiblets

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:26 AM

Sometimes I wonder how I might have felt about all the outrage surrounding Epic Game Store. But the best thing about having kids is that you lose the capacity to feel anything.

#110844 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4721 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:28 AM

Delivering the promised rewards to their backers and (depending on intent) taking it to market.

Yeah, but on what time scale? It seems quite a few creators operate in geological time frames. I swear they fire up a kicksharter when they first come up with an idea. That's it. Only an idea. No concept (business plan?? We don't need no stinking business plan) of how to drive it to completion or how long that will take.

#110845 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9028 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:28 AM

Too many people/groups/companies use KS as a mechanism to support their lifestyles.  Or to moonlight at their own pace.  They gladly accept 10s of thousands of dollars and then continue working on their primary jobs instead.  "We need cashflow so we can do what we feel like".   Well great, don't we all?

#110846 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8919 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:32 AM

Yeah, but on what time scale? It seems quite a few creators operate in geological time frames. I swear they fire up a kicksharter when they first come up with an idea. That's it. Only an idea. No concept (business plan?? We don't need no stinking business plan) of how to drive it to completion or how long that will take.

Nah, they get an idea and some concept art.

#110847 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7844 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Snowball is free on Indiegala (direct download, no Steam key).

https://freebies.ind...a.com/snowball/

#110848 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11113 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Yeah, but on what time scale? It seems quite a few creators operate in geological time frames.

I haven't had anything seriously delayed (except one $5 EP which I don't particularly care about) and the ones that had delays were open about them.  I consider a serious delay to be beyond 3-4 months.  But, sure, lump the "Two years late" people into the same shitpile as these Devs rather than using them as an excuse for shitty behavior.

Since you mentioned RPGs, I have the Revenge of the Horde book which is quite nice and got me to back their current project, Mithos Manor arrived the other day and I'm happy with it, Battle Maps is running behind due to manufacturing issues but the creator has been open about it and it shouldn't be long, Ordinary Towns was on time (granted it was a PDF which is easier), Ghost Brush is due to be on time next month, Tegel Manor is on track for release, etc.  Like I said, it works fine when you're not dealing with dong lords who take your money and refuse to meet their obligations.

#110849 HBX   Let That Boy Cook CAGiversary!   1155 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:48 AM

More Lootboy Gold: WQ33M-NVNI9-JMRVP

#110850 Dark_Sage   Superior CAGiversary!   3572 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:57 AM

Do steam cards every go on sale? I thought Fry's had the $100 cards on sale for like $85 last week but I do not have a Fry's in my state. I'm curious what others have witnessed over the years. 

You can get them at Fry's sales, Target gift card sales, or you can wait until Raise does a sitewide sale and hope you get in quick enough before the vendors sell out of stock.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PC, Steam, Origin, Uplay, DRM-Free, Epic