* * * * * 84 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free Epic

#114451 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8934 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:22 PM

Spoiler

#114452 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 31 January 2020 - 12:14 AM

Are these good specs? I believe this laptop is 7 years old:
Msi GT60 20D

Intel i7 2.4 ghzCPU ---- 4700M
20 gb RAM (max..at 32gb.)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M (4gb)
128gb PCIE SSD
1 TB 7200 rpm HDD
Blue Ray DVD/+RW
Wireless and Bluetooth capable
15.6 Matte Display
Stereo Speaker that's crisp, clear & loud
In built HD camera
HDMI port
USB 3.0 & 2.0 ports
SD card reader..
Working battery that holds a very good
Charge.
Original wall charger.

How much should that laptop cost used? I'm looking now on OfferUp and Craigslist and I'm pretty clueless on what does and doesn't constitute a good gaming laptop. All these video cards are so confusing to me. Can someone here give me like a bare minimum card the laptop needs to include?
The laptop has to have 16 gigs of RAM correct?
How am I supposed to figure out if a certain video card is better than another video card or like I asked earlier, is there a general consensus of a bare minimum card that needs to be included in the laptop in order to run games in 1080p?

#114453 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25712 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 01:26 AM

For that generation 7 years ago, that would've been a high-end gaming laptop. Not sure how that would really land now.

You could Google those specs and look on Youtube...to see how modern games run.

We're way past those generations of laptop CPU's (Intel here) and GPU's (Nvidia).

CPU's:

So, that number is i7 4700M. You're in the 4000 series, part of 4th generation of Intel's i3, i5, i7, and i9 club of CPU's. i3 is budget, i5 is mid-range, i7 is enthusiast, and i9 is the best of that generation. We won't get into core numbers, thread numbers, Hyperthreading tech, and all of that stuff - b/c each gen, some of that stuff changes w/ each generation.

Right now, Intel is now on the 10000 series.

"K" lettering means it's unlocked for overclocking. "F" means there's no integrated video card, so you'll need to supply one yourself.

So, say....a i7 9700 is a high end CPU w/ no overclocking allowed. 

i7 9700K is a high end CPU with overcocking allowed.

i7 9700KF would mean it's a high-end CPU with overclocking allowed and no Intel-integrated GPU...so you need to supply your own video card in the GPU slot.

NVidia cards:

The problem w/ all laptop-based video cards from Nvidia not in the 1000 series or above...is they are normally a generation or so behind their desktop brethren, performance-wise - i.e. a 4GB 780m performs like a desktop 680 card basically.

Since the breakthrough of the 1000 series of mobile NVidia cards, all mobile laptop cards perform only up to 10% or so slower (i.e. a few frames, if that) when compared to their same desktop equivalent number - i.e. 6GB GTX 1060 laptop version performs...almost the same as a 6GB GTX 1060 desktop card.

So, in NVidia...it looks like this for a 780m:

Front number (which is 7) = represents the generation number of the card. So, begins with 7...it's in the 700 series. This is the 7th generation of Nvidia cards basically.

Back two numbers (which is 80 here) = represents the model of the card. Ending in 50 would be budget, 60 is mid-range, 70 is enthusiast, 80 is the best of that generation basically.

"m" lettering = mobile version.

So 780m is a high-end card in that generation.

Nvidia really messed w/ the naming & numbering scheme...after the 1000 series.

So, they also have the 1600 series (no RTX) and 2000 series (with RTX)...b/c of the RTX thing (Ray-Tracing). RTX cards have Ray-Tracing technology included & the Tensor AI cores (for amazing-looking shadows and lighting - and this stuff is VERY taxing on systems)...and GTX's don't.

You can enable RTX on GTX cards that are GTX 1060 and up (i.e. these cards only: GTX 1060, GTX 1070, GTX 1080, GTX 1660, RTX 2060, RTX 2070, RTX 2080) - but don't expect RTX stuff to run so well on GTX-based cards.

Right now, highest numbered card = 2080. There are variants with the extra Ti and Super tag out there, which both perform better than a stock version of a 2080 (with no tag).

RAM:

I'd recommend for most games - yeah, have 16GB of RAM. Even at 1080p resolution. There are games at higher settings, eating up around 10GB of RAM or so. So yeah, better to be safe...than sorry.

SSD:

Solid State Drives are great. In that one, there's only 128GB...so, use it wisely. Windows 10 eats up around 16-32GB these days, so...the rest could be for storing the very few newer games you play a lot; and especially games that could have longer load times (to boot them up and load them faster).

HDD:
1TB HDD at 7200rpm should be fine for running & booting games, but won't be as fast as SSD for load times.

#114454 Tardcore   CAG Platinum+ Member CAGiversary!   742 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 01:26 AM

GeForce GTX 780 is pretty old by today's standards, I believe it came out in 2013 give or take.

#114455 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 31 January 2020 - 01:45 AM

For that generation 7 years ago, that would've been a high-end gaming laptop. Not sure how that would really land now.

You could Google those specs and look on Youtube...to see how modern games run.

We're way past those generations of laptop CPU's (Intel here) and GPU's (Nvidia).

CPU's:
So, that number is i7 4700M. You're in the 4000 series, part of 4th generation of Intel's i3, i5, i7, and i9 club of CPU's. i3 is budget, i5 is mid-range, i7 is enthusiast, and i9 is the best of that generation. We won't get into core numbers, thread numbers, Hyperthreading tech, and all of that stuff - b/c each gen, some of that stuff changes w/ each generation.

Right now, Intel is now on the 10000 series.

"K" lettering means it's unlocked for overclocking. "F" means there's no integrated video card, so you'll need to supply one yourself.

So, say....a i7 9700 is a high end CPU w/ no overclocking allowed.
i7 9700K is a high end CPU with overcocking allowed.
i7 9700KF would mean it's a high-end CPU with overclocking allowed and no Intel-integrated GPU...so you need to supply your own video card in the GPU slot.

NVidia cards:
The problem w/ all laptop-based video cards from Nvidia not in the 1000 series or above...is they are normally a generation or so behind their desktop brethren, performance-wise - i.e. a 4GB 780m performs like a desktop 680 card basically.

Since the breakthrough of the 1000 series of mobile NVidia cards, all mobile laptop cards perform only up to 10% or so slower (i.e. a few frames, if that) when compared to their same desktop equivalent number - i.e. 6GB GTX 1060 laptop version performs...almost the same as a 6GB GTX 1060 desktop card.

So, in NVidia...it looks like this for a 780m:
Front number (which is 7) = represents the generation number of the card. So, begins with 7...it's in the 700 series. This is the 7th generation of Nvidia cards basically.
Back two numbers (which is 80 here) = represents the model of the card. Ending in 50 would be budget, 60 is mid-range, 70 is enthusiast, 80 is the best of that generation basically.
"m" lettering = mobile version.

So 780m is a high-end card in that generation.

Nvidia really messed w/ the naming & numbering scheme...after the 1000 series.
So, they also have the 1600 series (no RTX) and 2000 series (with RTX)...b/c of the RTX thing (Ray-Tracing). RTX cards have Ray-Tracing technology included & the Tensor AI cores (for amazing-looking shadows and lighting - and this stuff is VERY taxing on systems)...and GTX's don't.

You can enable RTX on GTX cards that are GTX 1060 and up (i.e. these cards only: GTX 1060, GTX 1070, GTX 1080, GTX 1660, RTX 2060, RTX 2070, RTX 2080) - but don't expect RTX stuff to run so well on GTX-based cards.

Right now, highest numbered card = 2080. There are variants with the extra Ti and Super tag out there, which both perform better than a stock version of a 2080 (with no tag).

RAM:
I'd recommend for most games - yeah, have 16GB of RAM. Even at 1080p resolution. There are games at higher settings, eating up around 10GB of RAM or so. So yeah, better to be safe...than sorry.

SSD:
Solid State Drives are great. In that one, there's only 128GB...so, use it wisely. Windows 10 eats up around 16-32GB these days, so...the rest could be for storing the very few newer games you play a lot; and especially games that could have longer load times (to boot them up and load them faster).

HDD:
1TB HDD at 7200rpm should be fine for running & booting games, but won't be as fast as SSD for load times.

So I didn't understand a lot of that. That's why I avoided PC gaming.
Basically you're telling me not to buy that laptop and okay but what is the bare minimum video card I should be looking for? I know about getting at least 16 gigs of RAM but between the 970 and the 1060 and the 1050 and the GX and all that stuff I am completely lost. I see gaming laptops going anywhere from $300 to $1,000 used on OfferUp and Craigslist so I pretty much just need to get some kind of bearings as to what is a good deal and what to avoid.

#114456 Tibor   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   260 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 01:55 AM

I'd like to think most of us were smart enough to avoid what was an obvious scam/cashgrab by Blizzard.

I'd practically forgotten about it and had no idea it was near release date until two days ago. What a shit show all around.

#114457 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25712 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 02:01 AM

Basically you're telling me not to buy that laptop and okay but what is the bare minimum video card I should be looking for? I know about getting at least 16 gigs of RAM but between the 970 and the 1060 and the 1050 and the GX and all that stuff I am completely lost. I see gaming laptops going anywhere from $300 to $1,000 used on OfferUp and Craigslist so I pretty much just need to get some kind of bearings as to what is a good deal and what to avoid.

What games are you really looking to play?

If you're doing modern AAA gaming and plan to play brand new stuff, I'd say no. Namely...b/c of the video card.

You'd probably want for a video card a laptop with any of the following cards: 1050, 1060, 1070, 1080, 1650, 1660, 2060, 2070, or 2080. For video RAM, I'd say go for 4GB worth of VRAM for the GPU at least.

Some of these newer titles, like World War Z, can eat 3.5GB of VRAM like it's nothing.

I have a i7 4720HQ, 16 GB RAM DDR3, 4GB GTX 960M, Windows 10 64-bit laptop...and I run most stuff at 900p or 1080p with 30-35fps at Medium there. Some games include Fallout 4, GW: Wildlands and Vampyr.

I do much better on tougher games on my EVGA SC15 gaming laptop with i7 7700HQ, 16 GB RAM DDR4, 6GB GTX 1060, W10 laptop. Can easily hit 1080p with 60fps at High or better over there. Even games like AC: Odyssey can hit 1080p60fps at High.

EDIT:

If you plan to do mostly any Indie stuff that ain't so demanding - eh, you'd have to mention how much you can buy that 7 year laptop for.

#114458 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10977 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 04:13 AM

Don't buy a gaming laptop.  Certainly don't buy a used one.  What to look for completely depends on your budget and what type of games you want to play.  If you list a bunch of console games then my answer is probably going to be: just stick with a console.

#114459 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25712 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 04:26 AM

Don't buy a gaming laptop.  Certainly don't buy a used one.  What to look for completely depends on your budget and what type of games you want to play.  If you list a bunch of console games then my answer is probably going to be: just stick with a console.

If one's planning to play higher-end games from the AAA department: given how capable many gaming laptops are since the NVidia GTX 1000 series, I'd say you can do fine w/ a gaming laptop.

You won't obviously have much trouble with Indies (well, except maybe say A Plague's Tale: Innocence, as that feels more like AAA game...even though a Indie team made that) and you'll get a better experience on most AAA stuff here.

If you do this right by spending a good amount of $ (IMHO, spend around $800-1000, you'll do real well - I've seen laptops with GTX 1660's for this kind of $) and finding the right equipment - you can buy a gaming laptop...and that thing will smoke console-performance.

Who the heck wants a console-like 30fps experience, when you can do 60fps or better with a proper gaming PC (whether you buy a desktop or laptop)?

And I'm sure taking your laptop everywhere...is going to be easier than trying to take your gaming console everywhere.

#114460 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4732 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 04:46 AM

Just got back from Star Wars, Rise of Skywalker. Hold me, Mooby...

Here is my review:

Spoiler

#114461 BreadNiblets   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1235 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

BreadNiblets

Posted 31 January 2020 - 04:50 AM

Spoiler

That's how I feel about every mainline Star Wars movie that isn't called The Empire Strikes Back. Incidentally, it's also how I feel about gaming laptops.

#114462 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25712 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:07 AM

I don't get why people aren't fond of modern gaming laptops.

Especially when you can get laptops jam-packed w/ power like this for $900, which is an easy 1080p60+fps laptop - https://www.walmart....660Ti/685182150

Grab a USB 3.0 based hub (with more ports), just connect some stuff to it - hard drive docks with hard drives in it (SSD or HDD); external hard drives; keyboard; mouse; Xbox gamepad; Display-port based monitor or HDMI-monitor; whatever.

I'm not fond of laptop KB/trackpads myself - so when home, I just connect my normal-sized KB/mouse to it.

When home, I connect my gaming laptop (SC15) to my gaming monitor (ViewSonic XG2560 at 1080p 240hz).

#114463 sasquatc4   CAG in Limbo CAGiversary!   1786 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:42 AM

Especially when you can get laptops jam-packed w/ power like this for $900, which is an easy 1080p60+fps laptop - https://www.walmart....660Ti/685182150

Because the majority of people just dont need a laptop. For 900$ you can get a pre built desktop with a processor thats 20-30% better then the one in that laptop, and same goes for the gpu

The only time Ive seen people actually *need* a laptop have been in work environments, people who spend the majority of their time traveling such as military and salespeople, or people who feel a need to be able to write their screenplays in a starbucks. Hell I didnt need one at all for school. Nothing useful has ever come from being able to game on the go, except possibly annoying people around you.

Its just a cost/perf thing, if you are actually buying this thing to game on as its primary role aside from surfing and email (or even anything processing intensive), or are going to be using it at home the majority of the time anyway, then why not just get the better bang for the buck that will also last longer spec wise.  If you want something to be able to surf and email with on the go, then just get a tablet in a price range you consider fine, Ive used an ipad for years for travel/couch and never felt a need for anything more, can even remotely login to my desktop if I feel a need to do something there

#114464 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5028 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:46 AM

Are these good specs? I believe this laptop is 7 years old:
Msi GT60 20D

Intel i7 2.4 ghzCPU ---- 4700M
20 gb RAM (max..at 32gb.)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M (4gb)
128gb PCIE SSD
1 TB 7200 rpm HDD
Blue Ray DVD/+RW
Wireless and Bluetooth capable
15.6 Matte Display
Stereo Speaker that's crisp, clear & loud
In built HD camera
HDMI port
USB 3.0 & 2.0 ports
SD card reader..
Working battery that holds a very good
Charge.
Original wall charger.

How much should that laptop cost used? I'm looking now on OfferUp and Craigslist and I'm pretty clueless on what does and doesn't constitute a good gaming laptop. All these video cards are so confusing to me. Can someone here give me like a bare minimum card the laptop needs to include?
The laptop has to have 16 gigs of RAM correct?
How am I supposed to figure out if a certain video card is better than another video card or like I asked earlier, is there a general consensus of a bare minimum card that needs to be included in the laptop in order to run games in 1080p?

I don’t know enough to be able to give you a fair price for that—certainly I wouldn’t pay more than $400 or $500 though, if all you want to do is game with it. It’s actually really good for a 7 year old laptop, but honestly I’d only recommend it for gaming if you’re willing to get a newer GPU for it, and I’d recommend considering increasing the size of the SSD, or even replacing the HDD with a 1TB SATA SSD—you should be able to find a pretty good one under $100 these days if you keep an eye out. You can absolutely get a pretty strong gaming laptop—certainly not top of the line, but serviceable—brand new for around $1k, so if the price of all of that together would get into that territory, it’s not worth it.

#114465 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25712 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:09 AM

Because the majority of people just dont need a laptop. For 900$ you can get a pre built desktop with a processor thats 20-30% better then the one in that laptop, and same goes for the gpu

The only time Ive seen people actually *need* a laptop have been in work environments, people who spend the majority of their time traveling such as military and salespeople, or people who feel a need to be able to write their screenplays in a starbucks. Hell I didnt need one at all for school. Nothing useful has ever come from being able to game on the go, except possibly annoying people around you.

Its just a cost/perf thing, if you are actually buying this thing to game on as its primary role aside from surfing and email (or even anything processing intensive), or are going to be using it at home the majority of the time anyway, then why not just get the better bang for the buck that will also last longer spec wise.  If you want something to be able to surf and email with on the go, then just get a tablet in a price range you consider fine, Ive used an ipad for years for travel/couch and never felt a need for anything more, can even remotely login to my desktop if I feel a need to do something there

I think the thing I like about laptops is - well, there's no case, so it don't take up tons of space in your house/apartment/room/whatever. And if you want to take it places, you can.

"True" on the performance increase for a desktop.

I've actually seen pre-built desktops like this (HP Omen Obelisk) for around $1200 with a i7 9700 and 8GB RTX 2070 Super at Best Buy - https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6370810

Thing is: HP Omen sounds like that smaller-case gets hot (especially from what I've read online, in the 80-90 degrees factor) and might be better off tossed in another case. Meaning, I'd have to buy another case. Not really a big fan of propriety and/or HP stuff - but not bad at all for the $, if you're willing to find ways to deal w/ the heat issues (i.e. add fans, add liquid cooling, toss it all in another case, etc etc).

Myself, I been really looking at this PowerSpec desktop for $1400 with i7 9700KF, 32 GB RAM (max allowed is 128GB), 8GB RTX 2070 Super - https://www.microcen...ming-desktop-pc

I'm almost just about ready to put my aging custom W7 x64 PC with i7 950, GTX 970, 16GB of RAM desktop to the side. I'm not even really using this PC, most of the time nowadays. I'm often nowadays using my Acer gaming laptop for surfing and sometimes older gaming stuff (i.e. not-so-challenging stuff); and my SC15 laptop with the GTX 1060 for any sort of current gaming since this is outperforming my aging W7 desktop.

And yeah, I know...all the new AMD, Intel, and NVidia stuff's right around the corner.

And yeah, I bought a $200 Android tablet (which was on sale for $100) from Best Buy at Black Friday (2019) - and been using that a lot for when traveling & going places just to surf & stuff. Also still got my aging NuVision Windows 10 tablet with me most of the time, too.

#114466 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5849 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:41 AM

Basically you're telling me not to buy that

I don't know what to tell you... First, that laptop is older than a PS4, second is a laptop, and is on the platform that has constantly moving specs on what's good and what's not so good. Of course that laptop sucks and you shouldn't buy it at any price and not just because of the specs but because you have no idea how to fix it if/when something goes wrong.

Also you need to ask yourself "Why do I want a laptop?" If it's not a "because I travel and it's my only real option" you shouldn't get a laptop. Laptops cost more, have less power, and if your gaming your going to be tied to one location for power soon enough anyways. Also laptops can have smaller keyboards, shitty built in mice, and, can suck to do any sort of hardware repair/upgrade on them. They are really still a business platform.

Also if my post seems to be a bit blunt realizes you should thank people who help you and not give the crappy answer I quoted. If you want to hame on PC you either need a lot of money or a desire to understand how PCs work.

#114467 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 31 January 2020 - 07:17 AM

I want a laptop because I live in a 400sqft studio apartment. It will also take over my old laptop so I will use it as a computer and a gaming machine. I'm buying a used one because there's no way I'm paying $1,000 or more. I basically want the best bang for the buck. Probably something under $500. Brand new that won't get me any kind of gaming laptop but used even if it's like two years old will be able to get me a pretty decent one.

The games I want to be able to play in 1080P 60fps are all The Orange Box games, Assassin's Creed 4, all of the free epic games over the last year etc. I have an Xbox One X so I'm covered for games like Red Dead Redemption 2.

I found this on offer up for $500
ASUS - ROG GU501GM 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 1TB Hybrid Drive + 128GB SSD - Brushed Black

Good laptop for the price?

#114468 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   14914 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 07:25 AM

I find that gaming laptops are harder to amputate and replace parts for. Also, quite a few of the laptops I've had either ended up with a broken bezel or hinge. Those are things you don't get with a desktop. Laptops can also suffer from cooling issues, which can be fixed much easier in a desktop. And the power-cost ratio is inefficient.

Personally, I have a gaming laptop due to mobility and space constraints. The increased graphics processing also helps in graphic design and video editing. But it's not cost efficient if you're worried about money. The best you could hope for is to wait for another good laptop to go on clearance at Walmart. Just keep in mind that the "Overpowered" brand has a lot of bang for the buck, but has terrible airflow and will overheat and shut off a lot.

#114469 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25712 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 11:45 AM

I want a laptop because I live in a 400sqft studio apartment. It will also take over my old laptop so I will use it as a computer and a gaming machine. I'm buying a used one because there's no way I'm paying $1,000 or more. I basically want the best bang for the buck. Probably something under $500. Brand new that won't get me any kind of gaming laptop but used even if it's like two years old will be able to get me a pretty decent one.

The games I want to be able to play in 1080P 60fps are all The Orange Box games, Assassin's Creed 4, all of the free epic games over the last year etc. I have an Xbox One X so I'm covered for games like Red Dead Redemption 2.

ASUS - ROG GU501GM 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 1TB Hybrid Drive + 128GB SSD - Brushed Black

For $500, that's fine. Brand new, those are often around $700+.

About the intel i7 - which one? There's 10 generations worth of i7's now. I'm guessing, it's probably a 7000 series card, as 1060's were often found with those loaded in there. Hopefully, it has a 7700 regular or 7700 HQ. CPU's are important, so make sure you mention...which one is in there.

Also, how many GB of VRAM on the GTX 1060? There are 3GB and 6GB versions on that card. The more GB of VRAM that you have, the more details & higher settings that you can push in a game.

Even if you say only had 3GB VRAM on the 1060 - Orange Box, AC4, and most of the free Epic games won't challenge the 1060. 1080p60fps should be fine w/ that PC.

Batman: Arkham Knight was free in Epic Store once - and if you got that, it's the most challenging game to run from the Epic Free Club at Higher settings. Still, shouldn't be an issue to get 30fps1080p for Arkham Knight - as that game ran like crap and eats VRAM like it's nothing.

Even RDR2 should run okay at 1080p with 40-60fps at Low with i7 7700, 16 GB RAM, and GTX 1060:

#114470 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25712 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 12:04 PM

Personally, I have a gaming laptop due to mobility and space constraints. The increased graphics processing also helps in graphic design and video editing. But it's not cost efficient if you're worried about money. The best you could hope for is to wait for another good laptop to go on clearance at Walmart. Just keep in mind that the "Overpowered" brand has a lot of bang for the buck, but has terrible airflow and will overheat and shut off a lot.

WalMart now often has the EVOO brand, which has been replacing Overpowered of late. It's basically has this generation of stuff inside - i.e. i7 9000 series, GTX 1650's and above, 8GB of RAM or more, etc etc.

Such as this - https://www.walmart....660Ti/685182150

And this - https://www.walmart....ull&athena=true

#114471 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5849 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 31 January 2020 - 12:44 PM

10 generations worth of i7's now.

My guess says an 8th generation. An i7-8750H to be exact.

Model number matches this:
https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6207900

Does seem to be a 6GB card

#114472 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   14914 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 02:38 PM

That laptop is on Amazon for $1200 new and $900 used. That's a great gaming laptop for the price, but definitely vet the seller and check it over before buying it. Even a slight crack on the screen can be a deal-breaker.

#114473 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11115 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 31 January 2020 - 03:10 PM

I don't really get the space argument for a laptop.  Unless your only alternative is some wardrobe-sized mega case, it seems that most people could get a mid-sized case, set it under their desk or along the wall and never notice it.  A case like this (random example) takes up 1.3sq feet of floor space and, again, you can probably find 1.3sq feet of space you weren't actually using anyway.  Even in a 400sq ft apartment, that leaves you a solid 398.7sq feet for futons and beer cans.

Edit: Before anyone brings up the monitor, etc it seems like half the time people talk about how, at home, they plug their laptop into their gaming monitor (versus using the 15" display) and use a mouse and all that so I see it as a wash.  All that stuff is sitting somewhere anyway.

#114474 BellardB   Get your head in the game! CAGiversary!   595 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 03:40 PM

I am speaking from experience here:  never buy a used gaming laptop period.  If you can afford it, get a new one with an Nvidia 1660 GPU.  It will cost twice as much as the one you're looking at on Craig's List but you'll be 10X happier with your purchase in the long run.  Ignore people asking you what types of games you play...doesn't matter.  Future proofing is key with a laptop because you won't be able to upgrade key components down the road.  Just because you don't plan on playing AAA titles on it today doesn't mean that still holds true 6 months or a year from now.

#114475 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11115 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 31 January 2020 - 03:56 PM

And, for the love of God and his saints, don't buy a seven year old laptop where the seller assures you that the battery works just fine.

#114476 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9046 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 04:21 PM

Grab a USB 3.0 based hub (with more ports), just connect some stuff to it - hard drive docks with hard drives in it (SSD or HDD); external hard drives; keyboard; mouse; Xbox gamepad; Display-port based monitor or HDMI-monitor; whatever.

I'm not fond of laptop KB/trackpads myself - so when home, I just connect my normal-sized KB/mouse to it.

When home, I connect my gaming laptop (SC15) to my gaming monitor (ViewSonic XG2560 at 1080p 240hz).

modern-gaming-laptops.jpg

#114477 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9046 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 04:25 PM

Gaming laptops run hot, the graphics stutter bc of it, and have keyboards for little wittle people.  If something breaks or goes wrong you're also in for a world of pain. 

#114478 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25712 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:35 PM

My guess says an 8th generation. An i7-8750H to be exact.

Model number matches this:
https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6207900

Does seem to be a 6GB card

That's a steal for $500 - provided only if the PC hasn't been used to death; PC doesn't have issues (i.e. cracked screen, nasty dents, etc); and the thermals aren't murderous.

Of course, one could always connect a monitor via HDMI or DP (depends on ports it has), if the built-in screen died; and the person plans to keep the PC stationary in one spot (i.e. not take it traveling).

#114479 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5028 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:49 PM

You can generally ignore the objections of these fogies. They’re mostly not wrong, but they’re overblowing things more than a little, we tend to have a PC as primary gaming device perspective here. If all you’re looking for is a supplement to a primarily console-based experience and you’re not looking to switch, future-proofing is a secondary concern—not an afterthought, but I’m guessing you’ll probably be satisfied as long as you’re getting something that can play the generally non-AAA games that won’t come to console over the next few years?

If high graphical performance isn’t top of your list of priorities, a halfway decent gaming laptop should do that.

My only question is whether you really need one. If space is really your only concern, they absolutely make relatively small desktops, something you could easily fit on a shelf, that would be more capable on a similar budget—though a good quality display, mouse, and keyboard could tilt that balance a bit.

If you’re hoping for a gaming experience that isn’t chained to a wall, well you’re not going to get one with a gaming laptop. Even the most powerful current laptop batteries tend to drain in 2-3 hours tops of gaming when brand new, and some gaming laptops actually have a massive performance hit when they aren’t plugged in—we’re not talking a few frames at the highest settings, we’re talking overall performance being reduced to less than half.

The main reason you should get a gaming laptop, imo, is if you spend a long time away from home and want to take your gaming with you, and/or if you need a computer you can bring outside the house regularly for other reasons, something a tiny budget ultrabook or tablet just isn’t going to work for.

#114480 Fatality   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2325 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2020 - 10:33 PM

Zh0c4tv.jpg

just in time for the Super Bowl

Go 49ers