* * * * * 84 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free Epic

#114601 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10522 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:41 PM

I’m not a big Star Trek fan, but I’ve watched all the pre-Discovery stuff and Voyager is a big step down from TNG and DS9.

Ahem...Voyager was probably right up there with TNG for me. I would say there are more episodes of Voyager that I like than TNG, but TNG did have better story arcs. Voyager was like Gilligan's Island (which I enjoyed)...in space. And yes, I like TOS as well. 

As for Enterprise, it had some decent stories, but I thought the casting was flawed which made the characters seem more like caricatures.

#114602 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25645 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:04 PM

All this Star Trek talk...

...So, what are some good Star Trek video games, in PC gaming history?

#114603 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5004 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:49 PM

Star Trek (1971)

#114604 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14865 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:01 AM

Douchebags don’t need a kickstarter.

They are part of the reason that platform has gone to utter shit

I stay away from anything video game related on there, but have supported some incredible board game campaigns. Return to Dark Tower just ended this morning and is based on the 1981 Christmas hit of the same name. Parents had the original game and this new version is gonna be badass. It'll be out sometime next year, possibly for it's 40th anniversary on retail shelves for Christmas once again.

055d2acc808c9b1c594d047c5920d804_origina

#114605 sasquatc4   CAG in Limbo CAGiversary!   1783 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:23 AM

star trek armada 1 and 2

#114606 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8914 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:29 AM

Elite Force is a good FPS.  I never tried the second.

Judgment Rites and A Final Unity are good P&C Adventure games.

I used to love Birth of the Federation.

#114607 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25645 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:29 AM

Game Rant - Co-Founder, VP & Lead Writer Dan Houser of Rockstar Games (behind GTA & RDR series) is leaving the company:
https://gamerant.com...ft-auto-writer/

#114608 the_red_tide  

the_red_tide

Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:30 AM

Wait, didn’t Platinum just sell their soul to Tencent, why do they need our money? Just ask their Chinese masters to print them some yuan.

Most likely to garner interest on whether or not it would be worthwhile to port the game to those platforms. No point in doing so if they can’t turn a profit.

#114609 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25645 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:04 PM

Fallout 76 news:

Info:
- FO76: Wastelanders DLC, which is Free, is coming April 7th to all platforms.
- FO76 is also launching on Steam (finally) on April 7th.
- Atoms cannot be transferred from Bethesda.Net to Steam, as Atoms are independent for each platform.

#114610 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5832 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:12 PM

Fallout 76 news

They've waited too long to get Steam money...

Who in there right mind would buy this and keep it?

#114611 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5650 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:50 PM

I really don’t think the setting had anything to do with the more involved overarching stories, the writers had clearly been trying to go that direction since the second or third season of TNG and the new series just allowed them to take that a step further.

Good luck. I’m not a big Star Trek fan, but I’ve watched all the pre-Discovery stuff and Voyager is a big step down from TNG and DS9. And let me give you some friendly advice: skip Enterprise. It’s barely acknowledged in any later material, adds nothing interesting to the lore, and is easily one of the worst TV shows I’ve forced myself to sit through. And I watch a LOT of really shitty TV.

Nah, I’m just waiting until I’m in SE Asia later this year. When I was there back in 2018, Discovery was on Netflix, and I imagine CBS will keep that relationship going in the region rather than trying to go international.

Probably not much help to anyone else, though.

From what I saw on the "What We Left Behind" documentary, Paramount hated the idea of story arcs, and it wasn't as ubiquitous a phenomenon then as it is now. They were more interested in the show being like the other Star Trek shows, where you could miss an episode or two and jump back in without having "caught up." Part of the reason that's less of a big deal now is that people can stream entire series of shows in the 2020s, but at the time it was a radical move. You can't really drop in and out of the last two seasons of DS9

Also, all of you are crazy. "Far Beyond the Stars" is the best DS9 episode. 

All of the shows had to grow into themselves, TOS being the possible exception because the characters and the chemistry among the actors seemed baked-in on that show. TNG had a terrible first couple of seasons, with far too many terrible effects, too much hammy overacting, and way too many plots recycled from the original series. DS9 started off okay, but it got a lot better (and they definitely should have let Avery Brooks shave his head from the word "go"). Voyager had its moments, but it was always the worst of the series (except for the animated series, which no one remembers). Enterprise is weirdly underrated. Bakula made a pretty decent captain and the supporting cast were quite good too. Also, the new Andorians were great. There were definite moments where it seemed the pre-TOS timeline meant that the technology didn't quite make sense. Discovery suffers from similar issues--it looks like (I'm about halfway through the second series) we're going to get an explanation for why future generations didn't make use of the miraculous, galaxy-spanning "spore drive" before the series ends, but it feels weird that the showrunners can't just work within the confines of how we understand technology to work in whatever century they're choosing to set the fiction within. 

#114612 BMXJouster   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1428 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2020 - 04:21 PM

Final Fantasy XV, Wolfenstein: Youngblood and Death's Gambit coming to Xbox Game Pass on PC:

#114613 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11108 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 05 February 2020 - 04:53 PM

Game Pass continuing to pay dividends.  I sorta want to play Wolfie Junior but not enough to actually give someone money for the experience.

Speaking of, I've been playing Bad Rats Plague Tale and it's... okay?  The first hour or so almost put me off the game, then it picked up a bit and now I'm on Chapter 8 but also haven't played it in a few days and haven't felt any rush to finish it up.  The story is interesting enough but the game play is pretty monotonous.  Creep over here, throw a pot, creep over there, throw a rock, creep over to the other place and break a chain with a sling-launched rock.  I guess I expected something more from the rats given how much the previews and reviews gushed over them and how amazing they were and how each rat was individually rendered and fully realized with its own hopes, fears and dreams.  In reality, it's a noisy blanket that you die when you touch and you can push around with the light.  And, if you push them into a corner, they explode in a shower of sparks as rats are wont to do.  Good characters, good world building, good graphics, boring to play -- someone should have taken this idea to Netflix instead of Focus Games.

All of this is a long way of saying that I was looking forward to this game but delayed on buying it and now Game Pass let me play it for "free" and I'm grateful that I got to play it without dropping twenty or thirty bucks because I'd be pretty bitter about it.

#114614 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4720 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2020 - 04:56 PM

Oh this is the Star Trek thread? Cool.

Star Trek TOS - Great show. Watch Shatner chew up the scenery with over-acting set to 11. Many problems could be solved by Kirk-chop to the neck or a punch to the face, just like real life. Great chemistry between the 3 main leads.  A bit dated now but definitely ahead of it's time.

Best Episode - City on the Edge of Forever

Star Trek TOS Movies - Skip 1, The Motion(less) Picture, watch the trilogy (II-IV), skip V and watch VI.

Best TOS Movie - Accept no substitutes - Wrath of Kahn 4 eva

Star Trek TNG - Great show that got off to a rocky start  was great 'in the middle' and encountered some turbulence during landing approach, but sticks the landing.  Took a good 1.5 -2 seasons to find it's feet, but it had some great shows in that period - "Darmok", "The Measure of a Man", "Q Who", "Best of Both Worlds", "Chain of Command"

Best TNG Episode - The Inner Light

Best Star Trek TV series finale - All Good Things

Star Trek TNG Movies  - Generations was a missed opportunity to have more screen time with the Two Captains and Kirk was 'done dirty'.  Fortunately they had the good sense to stop after the great "First Contact'.  If you believe there are other TNG movies, you are part of the worst timeline and from Hell's heart I stab at thee!!!!

Best TNG Movie - First Contact

Star Trek  DS9 - Accused of copying Babylon 5 with it's story arc(s) (less episodic as traditional Star Trek), I have tried to go back and watch B5 (it's kinda hard to now), I think DS9 has more staying power than B5.  Took a while to congeal into a good if not great show.  Definitely darker than other ST's, but somehow seemed more 'real' or 'relateable'.  

Best DS9 Episode - The Visitor

Star Trek Voyager - May God have mercy on my soul.  Why did I sit through this crap?  Oh that's right, Jeri Ryan in a shimmering catsuit.  Also: Sunk Cost Fallacy.  I mean, damn....I watched 89 eps so far...I have to keep going, right?  They're gonna have a good one soon, AMIRITE????....eh, I counted the episodes (out of their 172 total) that I thought were great on 1 hand and I had fingers left over.   

Best Voyager Episode - Living Witness/Message in a Bottle (Can't go wrong with HoloDoc)

Star Trek Enterprise -  WTF is this Theme Song?!?!?!?  Is This Dawson's Creek????? HARD PASS!!!

Star Trek TNOS (The New Old Series) Movies - These are tough, loved the 1st movie, 2nd was a somewhat copy of Wrath of Khan that I still kinda enjoyed, there were some others...whatever.  The thing with JJ Abrams I've come to believe, is that he has an ability to capture what things look and sound like (casting is great, right visuals and inflections/audio, but he lacks the understanding that it's the relationships between then big 3 (and other crewmembers) that anchor the best of the shows/movies.  It's basically all sound and fury (which are great), signifying nothing (like eating popcorn...enjoyable at the moment, but it doesn't last)....see: Star Wars VII-IX

Star Trek Discovery - Dunno....Voyager kicked me in the nuts and while I was down Enterprise Curb-stomped me.   Ain't no way I'm falling for that again!!!

Star Trek Picard - Well, I'll be watching this...the trailers sucked me in....While I would probably give Captain Kirk the 'Best Captain' by a hair, it's close between Picard and Kirk.  Kirk is more 'mythical'.  Picard is more 'real'.   Depends what flavor I'm looking for.....

Best Overall Star Trek Episode - The Visitor

Best Overall Star Trek Movie - The Wrath of Khan

Best Star Trek Video Game - Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force (see, I can like Voyager!)

Scotty, one to beam up.....

#114615 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11108 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 05 February 2020 - 04:57 PM

Cartoon was best Star Trek.

#114616 An Orange Cat   Pet My Fur CAGiversary!   1397 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

An Orange Cat

Posted 05 February 2020 - 04:58 PM

I saw some deals for DOOM Eternal going around a couple weeks ago, but does anyone know of any currently? I've been watching some "first x minutes" videos, and I think I need it day one.

#114617 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4720 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2020 - 05:04 PM

Cartoon was best Star Trek.

giphy.gif

Let me bring this back to gaming:

Just 'finished' (finished to me is actually completing the story line, not going all Monk on getting every last goo-gaw or completing every side fetch quest there is available) Shadow of the Former Tomb Raider Game(s) on Xboner Game Ass.  More of the same, which isn't necessarily a bad things.  Unfortunately in this case, it's less ice pick murdering and more "Basil (Lara) Exposition".  Man, I don't care what Jonah had for breakfast this morning, let me stab more people.  Is that so wrong???

6/10 - Too much talky, not enough murder-y...

Tried to start 'Rage', XB360 game uplifted to XBONE.....meh so far...hard to go from a FPS like Tomb Raider back to this (Rage) from a controls/fluidity standpoint....don't think I'm going to make it.

Also in play, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. For the uninitiated,  JEDI in the title means, you will never touch a gun/rocket launcher, all you need are your force powers (lackluster) and your lightsaber (really?  I have to stand here and continually reflect blaster bolts and close on these clowns instead of just picking up the blaster at my feet and shooting that mook?).  Plot is better than Star Wars IX, so it has that going for it.....I'll probably finish it out....

Want another FPS but Far Cry and Ass Creed aren't on XBone Game Ass....so....

#114618 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5832 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 05 February 2020 - 06:41 PM

Best Star Trek Stuff

TOS: Balance of Terror; Undiscovered Country

TNG: Relics (but I love 9 fingered engineers), and Q. Some of the early ones are weak but John de Lancie steals every scene that he's in. Tapestry and All Good Things... are the standouts.

DS9: The Siege of AR-558; Humorous: House of Quark.

Far Beyond The Stars was great but people make too big of a deal about a word being used... It's also a standalone episode.

The Thing You Leave Behind could be up there but the waste Dukut.

Oh, Treachery, Faith, and the Great River was really solid too... It was both humorous and had a great look at faith and devotion.

#114619 elessar123  

Posted 05 February 2020 - 06:42 PM

Ahem...Voyager was probably right up there with TNG for me. I would say there are more episodes of Voyager that I like than TNG, but TNG did have better story arcs. Voyager was like Gilligan's Island (which I enjoyed)...in space. And yes, I like TOS as well. 

As for Enterprise, it had some decent stories, but I thought the casting was flawed which made the characters seem more like caricatures.

I liked Voyager, but it also had the worst Star Trek episode to ever be made. Time Lord lizards, anyone?

The most annoying things to me is how widespread that first enemy race was. They traveled for 2 years with superior technology and got magically propelled or whatever and those guys are still around.

#114620 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5832 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 05 February 2020 - 06:46 PM

I liked Voyager, but it also had the worst Star Trek episode to ever be made. Time Lord lizards, anyone?

I've watched, TOS, TAS, and DS9 this year... I give TOS, and TAS a pass on a lot of missteps... To me the worst episode was DS9: Valiant (S6 E22) Just such a stupid concept.

#114621 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5004 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2020 - 07:34 PM

Voyager had its moments, but it was always the worst of the series (except for the animated series, which no one remembers).

I’d definitely disagree. I’d say that Voyager is not only much better than Enterprise, which I still say is hot garbage, but (and I know I’m gonna get blasted for this) better than TOS, as well, which may have been decent and thought-provoking by the standards of 1960s television, but which is irredeemably hokey, poorly acted, and terribly written by any modern standard. I also felt like TAS honestly wasn’t significantly worse than TOS, though obviously its ambitions were much lower.

Don’t get me wrong, I like these shows (other than Enterprise) well enough. Voyager, TOS, and even TAS are generally fun, and with TOS in particular, I fully realize it’s a product of its times and, for the field of television, was trying a lot of brand new things that only later became cliche. That said, it also leaned heavily on existent sci-fi tropes from other forms of media, and while I can appreciate that it had things to say, it was still extremely clumsy in saying them, and bad dialogue is bad dialogue no matter the age, so it’s difficult to excuse the show based entirely on its era.

And I love Shatner’s ham, but god he was such a terrible actor back then.

#114622 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8914 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2020 - 07:44 PM

I don't think Threshold is any worse than TNG: Genesis.

EDIT: Apparently Genesis is a popular episode... I always hated it.

To reword... Threshold just seemed like Voyager's Genesis episode.  Like Voyager's Ex Post Facto and TNG's A Matter of Perspective.  The episodes where Paris is framed for murder and Riker is framed for murder.

#114623 weretable   Its the end of the world and I feel fine CAGiversary!   999 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

weretable

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:03 PM

Picard is great so far, really great.  Enterprise was unwatchable for me, Voyager had its ups and downs but was a pretty good series for the most part.  Hated DS9 at first, it grew it on me and I loved it by the time it ended.  Loved TNG of course.  Saw one episode of Discovery and decided I didn't want to see more.  The new(ish) Star Trek movies work okay as action movies, especially the second one, but are awful as Star Trek movies.  IMHO.

On another TV note, as someone who doesn't really give a shit about established Doctor Who lore since it is goofy as hell anyway, I am greatly enjoying the drama over leaked rumors concerning a character that showed up a couple of episodes ago.  I think only Star Wars fans can rage harder and more pathetically than Doctor Who fans.   The uproar is making me enjoy the show more than I would otherwise considering how bad the writing has been for a lot of thirteen's run.  

Took Dying Light out of the backlog, was enjoying it until I had to climb some towers.  The camera swaying back and forth made that stuff torture for me.  It was every bit as bad as a few VR games I have tried that I had to stop trying to play.  After learning there is no way to turn that off, I quit playing.   Now I found a cheat engine script that sounds like it will let me port directly to objectives so I might go back to Dying Light knowing that if it tells me to climb more towers I can tell it to Fuck off.  

I somehow didn't even notice the Steam Lunar Sale had occurred, that is how good it was.  

#114624 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8914 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:16 PM

Took Dying Light out of the backlog, was enjoying it until I had to climb some towers.  The camera swaying back and forth made that stuff torture for me.  It was every bit as bad as a few VR games I have tried that I had to stop trying to play.  After learning there is no way to turn that off, I quit playing.   Now I found a cheat engine script that sounds like it will let me port directly to objectives so I might go back to Dying Light knowing that if it tells me to climb more towers I can tell it to Fuck off. 

I took Dying Light out of backlog recently too.

I don't think I'm super far from the ending and I only had to climb the radio towers once.

#114625 RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial   Better Than You CAGiversary!   21123 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:19 PM

I mean, Dying Light is Dead Island with parkour so climbing is sort of part of the joy. 

#114626 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8914 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:24 PM

I mean, Dying Light is Dead Island with parkour so climbing is sort of part of the joy. 

Yes, but, for me, climbing the radio towers were a bit of an annoyance.  I didn't have an issue with camera swaying, I died/almost died a couple times because of thinking I can grab onto something when I couldn't or accidentally jumping too far.

#114627 weretable   Its the end of the world and I feel fine CAGiversary!   999 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

weretable

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:26 PM

The parkour/climbing itself is fine, the swaying of the camera side to side when you are high up messes with my head and makes me feel sick.  I've been high up peering straight down IRL and it doesn't do that to me but somehow this game does and it is supposed to be "realistic" the way it does it.  Anywho..

#114628 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8914 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:30 PM

The parkour/climbing itself is fine, the swaying of the camera side to side when you are high up messes with my head and makes me feel sick.  I've been high up peering straight down IRL and it doesn't do that to me but somehow this game does and it is supposed to be "realistic" the way it does it.  Anywho..

The only other mission I can think of where you're really high up is one where you have to climb a bridge.  I might be wrong tho.

#114629 weretable   Its the end of the world and I feel fine CAGiversary!   999 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

weretable

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:31 PM

I'm just happy to hear it doesn't start making you do that constantly like I was afraid it would.  Obviously not terribly far in and there are a lot of damaged high-rises and the like so... lol

#114630 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5650 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:39 PM

I've watched, TOS, TAS, and DS9 this year... I give TOS, and TAS a pass on a lot of missteps... To me the worst episode was DS9: Valiant (S6 E22) Just such a stupid concept.

There are many, many examples of worse episodes than "Valiant" in TNG and VOY. Heck, there are worse episodes of DS9 than that one, IMO. 

I don't think Threshold is any worse than TNG: Genesis.

EDIT: Apparently Genesis is a popular episode... I always hated it.

To reword... Threshold just seemed like Voyager's Genesis episode.  Like Voyager's Ex Post Facto and TNG's A Matter of Perspective.  The episodes where Paris is framed for murder and Riker is framed for murder.

Yes, "Genesis" was horrendous. Like many popular science fiction shows, TNG displayed an appalling lack of understanding of the nature of biological evolution (in much the same way that the Doctor was speaking gobbledygook from a biological standpoint when discussing developing a cure for the alien bacteria in "Praxeus" last week). 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PC, Steam, Origin, Uplay, DRM-Free, Epic