* * * * * 84 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free Epic

#117481 jrc84  

Posted 11 August 2020 - 01:16 AM

May CAG's "self-appointed, Mod tattling, deals-only-discussion-posting equivalent of a meter maid" strike me down, but...

Has anyone ever had any problems running older games (mine have all been circa 2012 - 2014), specifically a no sound issue?

Spoiler

Yeah, drove me crazy...and to buy a console. Iirc, my issues were usually something to do with the realtek audio driver. I spent more time trying to get games to run on my htpc than playing them.

I think it had to do with the game launcher, the game, and/or the audio driver all being on the same page. I'd start troubleshooting with realtek if you have it. The Ubi launcher seemed to monkey up the works too. Alway had trouble getting those games running, Blood Dragon would launch with sound but nothing as soon as the game loaded.

#117482 fore1337   exquisite diet of hot dogs and coke. CAGiversary!   755 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

fore1337

Posted 11 August 2020 - 02:28 AM

Hey guys,

Been away from forums for a long time, but just wanted to pop in and say hi.

Got into PCVR recently, and omgz, so much fun. Running an Oculus Quest with Virtual Desktop software.  So much fun. 

OK, bye bye for another 13 months or so. love you cag.

#117483 eulogywerd21   Jesus wept CAGiversary!   3734 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

eulogywerd21

Posted 11 August 2020 - 02:35 AM

What kind audio-card are you running? And how many speakers you got going?

It's the Realtek dogshit or whatever is onboard the Gigabyte Z390 gaming X mobo, but I'm using a HyperX Cloud (that is capable of 7.1) which is set to the default 2 Channel dvd quality. I've tried other usb headsets and speakers, all with the same results in these particular titles.

Yeah, drove me crazy...and to buy a console. Iirc, my issues were usually something to do with the realtek audio driver. I spent more time trying to get games to run on my htpc than playing them.

I think it had to do with the game launcher, the game, and/or the audio driver all being on the same page. I'd start troubleshooting with realtek if you have it. The Ubi launcher seemed to monkey up the works too. Alway had trouble getting those games running, Blood Dragon would launch with sound but nothing as soon as the game loaded.

The Realtek drivers I was able to find and download from their convoluted dog shit website (maximum download speed of 30 KB/sec... on my gig internet) didn't do anything. I found other drivers through Gigabyte linked to my mobo

and that exe just gets stuck in an uninstall loop after it asks you to restart the computer. 

If this were happening to anyone else but me, I'd find the absurd difficulty hilarious.

#117484 fore1337   exquisite diet of hot dogs and coke. CAGiversary!   755 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

fore1337

Posted 11 August 2020 - 02:56 AM

Running the Gigabyte Z390 M Motherboard mATX and agree about the Gigabyte drivers sucking hard.  One of the latest win10 updates broke the Fan controller software & it took me forever to get everything working again.  Just checked my Realtek driver & I'm using the Microsoft sound driver. Works ok. I can try a specific game if you want.

It's the Realtek dogshit or whatever is onboard the Gigabyte Z390 gaming X mobo...

edit: just ran fc3 blood dragon, sound working with the onboard realtek sound.

downloading the other ones you mentioned.

#117485 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25885 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:57 AM

It's the Realtek dogshit or whatever is onboard the Gigabyte Z390 gaming X mobo, but I'm using a HyperX Cloud (that is capable of 7.1) which is set to the default 2 Channel dvd quality. I've tried other usb headsets and speakers, all with the same results in these particular titles.

The Realtek drivers I was able to find and download from their convoluted dog shit website (maximum download speed of 30 KB/sec... on my gig internet) didn't do anything. I found other drivers through Gigabyte linked to my mobo

and that exe just gets stuck in an uninstall loop after it asks you to restart the computer. 

If this were happening to anyone else but me, I'd find the absurd difficulty hilarious.

I don't know if this is the answer to your audio problem with speakers (never tried speakers on these), but this worked for an older headset of mine.

Is the Hyper X an older headset? Are you speakers say older ones?

I have Realtek on both my W7 desktop and on numerous W10 laptops.

My PX22 Turtle Beach USB-based headphones - which also have a regular audio jack to them too, BTW - they just do not work on my W10 laptops, as is. They work on W7 as is, but not W10 (both systems which use Realtek).

I found out online for the PX22's, after doing lots of Googling and whatnot - that I needed a DAC as a work-around, to get those working on W10.

DAC = Digital-to-Analog Converter.

I use a USB-based Syba DAC myself for my PX22's - https://www.newegg.c...N82E16812186035

Bought a few of these from NewEgg when they were $5 before.

You plug in the USB-based DAC into a USB-port. Your connection of the audio jack for your headphones go into the DAC there, so it converts the audio itself. It basically...has its own sound card in there and does the conversion itself, from digital-to-analog.

Not sure if that'll solve your problems entirely - but if you got something like this lingering somewhere around, give it a shot.

#117486 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5585 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 11 August 2020 - 04:29 AM

There's a difference between carrying bags for hand tools to do manly things and carrying a phablet bag to one of the COVID-friendly Starbucks to write your novel in public, though. If you actually need to carry more than your keys, your wallet, and your knife/sword/defensive weapon of choice, then you're more than justified and shouldn't care what others think. But when viewed as compulsory to fit despite not being necessary, the act of carrying a man-purse comes off as pretentious.

You could also look less pretentious by carrying a backpack instead of a man-purse, but that's also easy to steal. And your choice of backpack could have various consequences: choosing a hiking backpack is fine, but packing it as if you're homeless will get you nasty looks, especially given that some of us PC Master Race neckbeards are even less hygienic than usual during the pandemic; choosing a Hello Kitty, Batman, or Naruto gourd backpack will just result in you getting beaten up and optionally mugged, so my advice there is to open carry a firearm instead of your favorite weeb katana. Non-neckbeard types will want to watch out when wearing a child's backpack as well, since this is most widely-known as the "I'm a drug dealer" look.

And of course, carrying your shit around in a briefcase will probably get you shot. Y'all played GTA V so you know how that goes...

There's also other options like a messenger bag. Or duffle bag. Backpack wise I don't think they'd be easier to steal.  Especially if you have heavy stuff in it.  Lots of younger people carry those draw string bag backpack like things these days i've noticed. 

#117487 RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial   Better Than You CAGiversary!   21223 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial

Posted 11 August 2020 - 05:00 AM

I think you're on the right track with DirectX. Try this:

https://appsupport.d...-compatibility-

They are all older games so it's possible you might need an older version if direct x to get the sound going it try running them in compatibility mode.

#117488 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25885 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2020 - 05:06 AM

If we're talking about running older DirectX games on W7 and W10 - another thing you could do is install DGVoodoo (or any other DX wrapper for older DirectX games); drop the right files in the game-folder; and then configure DGVoodoo for that.

#117489 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5133 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:35 AM

There's also other options like a messenger bag. Or duffle bag. Backpack wise I don't think they'd be easier to steal.  Especially if you have heavy stuff in it.  Lots of younger people carry those draw string bag backpack like things these days i've noticed.

Sorry, all I'm reading here is "big purse or big purse or big purse."

And you know what? I'd never actually carry one, but I'm totally jealous of women for being able to get away with carrying a small bag. Like I don't need a lot of stuff, but just occasionally I want to carry more than can fit in my pockets, and my options are carry the item(s) directly, put them in a briefcase or messenger bag large (and heavy) enough not to look like a man purse and get my arm or shoulder tired, or stuff them in a backpack and get my back all sweaty. A crossbody shoulder strap small bag would be so practical, but you can't get away from the purse connection.

#117490 Lithium Flower   Just about to bloom CAG in Training   44 Posts   Joined 2.3 Years Ago  

Lithium Flower

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:32 AM

Pictured: Me, coming to my senses before I confirm purchase of cosmetic armor in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

prQFYU1.png

#117491 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25885 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:43 AM

Vampire: Bloodlines 2 delayed until 2021:

https://www.vg247.co...es-2-2021-delay

#117492 jrc84  

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:11 AM

Sorry, all I'm reading here is "big purse or big purse or big purse."

And you know what? I'd never actually carry one, but I'm totally jealous of women for being able to get away with carrying a small bag. Like I don't need a lot of stuff, but just occasionally I want to carry more than can fit in my pockets, and my options are carry the item(s) directly, put them in a briefcase or messenger bag large (and heavy) enough not to look like a man purse and get my arm or shoulder tired, or stuff them in a backpack and get my back all sweaty. A crossbody shoulder strap small bag would be so practical, but you can't get away from the purse connection.

Fanny Pack Bro...You're Welcome!

#117493 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5585 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 11 August 2020 - 01:41 PM

Seeing big purse for any of those sounds like you have a complex. Especially a duffle bag which is as far from a purse as one could get.

#117494 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5133 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:20 PM

Seeing big purse for any of those sounds like you have a complex. Especially a duffle bag which is as far from a purse as one could get.

I must have forgotten my YCS, I'm terribly sorry for the confusion.

#117495 Tibor   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   279 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:59 PM

I didn't even realize it was coming out this year. I wouldn't be surprised even if there wasn't the whole end of the world thing going on.

#117496 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5133 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:13 PM

They can delay it as long as they want, but I won't buy a VtMB game that isn't rushed out the door completely unfinished and buggy as all hell.

#117497 elessar123  

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:50 PM

Sorry, random off topic.

Got a booster pack today for Bad Rats.

That is all. We now resume our regularly scheduled talk about pizza.

#117498 RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial   Better Than You CAGiversary!   21223 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

RealCheapLikeAFoxOfficial

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:59 PM

Sorry, random off topic.

Got a booster pack today for Bad Rats.

That is all. We now resume our regularly scheduled talk about pizza.

Bad Rats - The Show is where the money's at. 

#117499 UberZerstorer   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   102 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

UberZerstorer

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:55 PM

How bad are these rats exactly?

#117500 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25885 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:06 PM

I didn't even realize it was coming out this year. 

Bloodlines 2 was supposed to be out Q1 2020, but got delayed to later 2020.

Now 2020 is not happening now, as it got pushed back even further into 2021 now.

I'm fine w/ it, if this gets the game polished and in a clear window that hopefully no other major title comes out in so gamers actually buy it; and so we actually hopefully at some point might get Bloodlines 3 sooner rather than later.

I really don't wanna wait another 10-15 years, for a Bloodlines 3.

Bloodlines 2 say not coming out in those jam-packed time-frames surrounding Cyberpunk 2077 (Nov. 19th) and AC: Valhalla (Nov. 17th) is probably a good thing. I wouldn't want to compete w/ those juggernauts.

Activision really made a mistake 15 years ago or so, launching Bloodlines 1 on the same day as Half-Life 2. It never had a chance, coming out that day - and unfortunately, neither did Troika (RIP).

EDIT:

They can delay it as long as they want, but I won't buy a VtMB game that isn't rushed out the door completely unfinished and buggy as all hell.

Yeah, I'd also rather it come out polished and hopefully in a clean release window when nothing else is coming out - so that it makes some good sales; and so we get a Bloodlines 3.

Bloodlines 1 was buggy...and that certainly didn't help matters. Wesp did a great job w/ unofficially patching stuff up and still doing so, these day and age. 

#117501 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25885 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:12 PM

Halo: Infinite also delayed until 2021:

https://www.polygon....-343-industries

#117502 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10118 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:10 PM

I've been playing a lot of Undermine. It's pretty fun, but I also fear it's kind of flawed as well. First of all the movement with an xbox 360 controller is pretty good. The attacks are fine, as is throwing the pick axe. There is one very floaty move, which is also your dodge move, which is a jump move. I'm not a huge fan and have a hard time being very precise with the jump. Also I freakin' hate mining. You have to hit the wall/rocks/statue with gold twice and then get all the gold while some green guys who don't hurt you try to take the gold. It gets super repetitive mining, so I guess it's an accurate simulation of that. I also feel some of the later upgrades are so expensive. I'm like on the third boss out of 6 i guess or something like that. It will take me a while, and I'm not sure i'm up to it. This feels a bit more repetitive than say Enter the Gungeon, though you do have upgrades and blessings/curses you can get along with potions. It's all functional. I just feel while I like the game, I may be tapping out and just playing runs now and then. Likely a strong 6.5/10, but I know it's flawed and fatally flawed in some ways with the very floaty jump/dodge move. 

#117503 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7941 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:13 AM

Although I bought Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition last Saturday on GOG.com, I just noticed this little gem of information when I looked at the listing.

When you buy this game, The Elder Scrolls: Arena and The Elder Scrolls Chapter II: Daggerfall will be added to your GOG.com account for free!

#117504 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   11057 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:39 AM

I think they've been given out free before on GOG.  They've also been free to download from Bethesda's website (and later Bethesda's client) for several years.

#117505 shrinerr   Are you software people ready to fucking party? CAGiversary!   1393 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:21 AM

RoR 2 is hard as hell, but also fun. reminds me of the first one, but ya know, more 3d ish.

#117506 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25885 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:24 PM

Forza Horizon 3 - Delisting Sale:

Forza Horizon 3 Sale on Microsoft Store/Xbox for PC:

• Standard (FH3 base-game only) = $9.89
  • Expansion Pass (Blizzard Mountain DLC & Hot Wheels DLC) = $10.49
  • "Ultimate Edition" (FH3 base, Early Access, VIP Pass, Car Pass, Motorsports All Stars Pack) = $20.99.

Side notes:

• The so-called "Ultimate Edition" DOESN'T include Expansion Pass.
  • To get all game "content" right now (i.e. all maps & races) - you'd need to buy both Standard & Expansion Pass; or buy both Ultimate & Expansion Pass.
  • "Ultimate Edition" has more cars, bonuses, currency, and other stuff...if you need more of that stuff.
  • Car Pass is $30 and not on sale alone, but this is bundled w/ the Ultimate Edition.
  • Car Pass has 42 new cars in it, if that matters to anyone.
  • Car Pass does NOT have all of the car packs. Only these ones.
  • More Complete versions of FH3 got made "unavailable":

• Ultimate Add-On Pack (with Only All of the DLC's) [req. ownership of FH3 base at least] was made "unavailable" for purchase.

• FH3: Platinum Plus Expansions Bundle (FH3 & 2 Expansions & All Car Packs) was also made "unavailable" for purchase.

#117507 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   761 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:37 PM

GTAV was boring but people still fawn all over it even today.

From what I can tell people only ever talk about its multiplayer, or doing wacky sandbox things that have nothing to do with the plot. Unlike with Vice City, San Andreas etc where people still reference the plot/characters/voice acting/soundtrack etc to this day, I've never seen anyone say anything positive about GTA V's plot or characters past the initial fawning reviews. 

#117508 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10118 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:52 PM

Vice City still has my favorite atmosphere of any GTA game. It's controversial, but I probably find GTA IV the next strongest mainly cause it feels like an underbelly type city. Honestly I enjoyed the game other than the freakin' terrible driving even good old Nico lol. GTA V is aight, but I never really connected with the setting. I only played a few hours though and just didn't feel excited. I never came back.

#117509 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10118 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2020 - 01:19 AM

Just commenting Undermine doesn't really value my time for upgrades. Was excited since I found a new familiar my last game and then it costs 10000 gold to unlock it. Nope! I'm done with this. Way too repetitive and areas started feeling overly familiar. I got some fun out of it, and it's worth it for a bit bundled, but yeah the grind is way too real for this. 

#117510 hal   Game Hoarder CAGiversary!   5759 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:07 AM

Just commenting Undermine doesn't really value my time for upgrades. Was excited since I found a new familiar my last game and then it costs 10000 gold to unlock it. Nope! I'm done with this. Way too repetitive and areas started feeling overly familiar. I got some fun out of it, and it's worth it for a bit bundled, but yeah the grind is way too real for this. 

It's on my wishlist. Not too excited about it now. =;