* * * * - 85 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free Epic

#120181 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1197 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2020 - 03:14 PM

I have fiber so it isn't a time issue or a cap issue but yeah, I'm sick of games that update to add a little bit and it is nearly the size of the install.  I get it with something like an MMO expansion that tacks on what basically amounts to an entire stand-alone game at the end of the already existing content, but why the hell do these updates that add a small dlc or just some holiday themed stuff end up being tens of gigabytes?  I hate it and rarely is it explained.  

Likely inefficient use of assets, the download may even include extra copies of the same textures because of lazy programming.

An aside with more detail than necessary:

Spoiler

Assets aside, these days even binary sizes are getting enormous, and that's down to games increasingly using higher-level programming techniques which are very space inefficient (and speed inefficient, I might add), generating code for hundreds of thousands of different classes. Also these binaries have to be completely recompiled and redownloaded by the user if anything touches them.

Basically the correct answer is: because nothing is stopping them from being large. With no physical media anymore to constrain game programmers, there is nothing restraining the natural tendency towards bloat with any real force.

#120182 MysterD   The Toaster CAGiversary!   28266 Posts   Joined 19.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:30 PM

Epic Game Store:

Free Games Page - https://www.epicgame...n-US/free-games

Free Game Today:

• Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - New 'N' Tasty Edition

#120183 BaeStuped   Better Than You CAGiversary!   21406 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:31 PM

In USD maybe 600 is what Id spent, tho I travel alot so maybe a notebook would be better.. if we can travel again anytime soon. Basically Id like something that is a little better than a normal xbox one or ps4. It doesnt need to be alot better.

If you're looking for a laptop, something like this would probably be the best you could do in the price range.  I think the 2060 would run Cyberpunk better than the 1650:

https://www.walmart....ws-10/425492039

#120184 nny   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   672 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:33 PM

Legit looking leak for the Epic freebies. Sadly I own most of these. I might have to play through Solitairica again though since it's one of my all time favorite phone games: 

#120185 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5725 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:45 PM

If you're looking for a game to try, have you played Control? Just finished it after putting in 50 hours. Great game.  Feels like being in a supernatural sci fi horror mystery show.

I mean, that would run it probably but not super well.   What's your budget for a PC?

Hm. It didn't seem like something I'd like. What's the best way to play it? M+k or controller? I might look into it. 

There's videos of 1650s running it.  Not "well" -- you'll need to lower the settings, resolution or both.

This is a pretty awful time to price out a new system since component scarcity is hurting the market and driving up the price of even lower end video cards. With a $600 budget, I'd sell $50 worth of plasma and buy this.  That's hoping the $600 doesn't need to cover the monitor.

I'm pretty sure my i5-based laptop has a 1650 or 1660 in it. I'm running Cyberpunk with no issues (LOTS of glitches of course, but no crashes) on medium settings. 

Legit looking leak for the Epic freebies. Sadly I own most of these. I might have to play through Solitairica again though since it's one of my all time favorite phone games: 

That's not a list that's really on par with Epic's last big set of giveaways. Not even close, really. I'd feel bad about bitching about free games, but what the hell--it's what we do here, isn't it? A few of the sale items might be worthwhile, so yay for $10 coupon. 

#120186 BaeStuped   Better Than You CAGiversary!   21406 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:54 PM

Hm. It didn't seem like something I'd like. What's the best way to play it? M+k or controller? I might look into it. 

I'm pretty sure my i5-based laptop has a 1650 or 1660 in it. I'm running Cyberpunk with no issues (LOTS of glitches of course, but no crashes) on medium settings. 

That's not a list that's really on par with Epic's last big set of giveaways. Not even close, really. I'd feel bad about bitching about free games, but what the hell--it's what we do here, isn't it? A few of the sale items might be worthwhile, so yay for $10 coupon. 

I played it with KB/M because it's a shooter so I do better on those that way, but it probably works well with controller too.  It's a lot of fun and the side missions are some of the best in the game.  Some of the boss fights can be a little frustrating, but I got through them all and I'm far from a professional gamer.

#120187 MysterD   The Toaster CAGiversary!   28266 Posts   Joined 19.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2020 - 05:14 PM

KB/mouse all the way for Remedy's shooters (Max Payne 1+2; Control; Alan Wake; Quantum Break).

This game is definitely that type of game.

#120188 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1197 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2020 - 07:25 PM

Looks legit. The list is much more believable list than that other laughable one I saw get picked up by a ton of gaming "news" websites.

I expected this year's giveaways to not be nearly as exciting as last year, but still decent. This list is exactly in-line with my expectations. Lots of games that have already been bundled, mostly bargain-bin, but only three repeats is not bad.

Last year people used a data miner to pull the giveaway hint images from the Epic Game Store API . Oddworld was easy to guess from the buzzsaw wrapping paper, and the next hint in the Epic launcher is definitely for The Long Dark (the hint wrapping paper design features an axe).

I would guess someone has been able to pull all the wrapping paper hints from the API ahead of time and made this list from guessing using the hints. Actually, last year the table of hint pictures also included publisher information, so it was pretty trivial to guess all the games by combining publisher + hint and making an informed guess.

#120189 weretable   is that you baby, or just a brilliant disguise CAGiversary!   1143 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

weretable

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:16 PM

That Ubi sale where you buy one of the newest games plus another game and get another 21% off your cart makes Legion and maybe Valhalla sorta tempting although I really should play the games I have backlogged instead of jumping straight to the new ones.  I'll recommend Fenyx Rising again though.  Over 60 hours in and not done (I am doing all of the side stuff though) and still enjoying it.  I like it better than Breath of the Wild at any rate, the game people keep saying it is a copy of.

I think I'll use my $10 coupon from trying that Hyperscape game on the remake or rerelease or whatever it is of Scott Pilgrim, it should come out on Connect before the coupon expires.  I never did get around to picking up when it was available before.

So far the only game Epic has ever given away that would have tempted me was that Total War game and I forgot all about it until like a week after it was over.

#120190 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   11431 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2020 - 09:20 PM

Weaker set of games for Epic giveaways if those are legit.

On another note StoryBundle is running a Greatest Hits massive game book bundle for getting everything for $40. This is mainly for people who haven't been buying their bundles but there is a ridiculous amount of good books in this one.

#120191 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   4158 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 December 2020 - 10:29 PM

There is currently both a lightning (15 min) discount and clippable coupon on this 1tb tlc adata 2.5" sata ssd.  $68.49
https://www.amazon.c...sc=1&pldnSite=1

#120192 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1197 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2020 - 02:59 PM

Weaker set of games for Epic giveaways if those are legit.

On another note StoryBundle is running a Greatest Hits massive game book bundle for getting everything for $40. This is mainly for people who haven't been buying their bundles but there is a ridiculous amount of good books in this one.

The slider seems to indicate it's only $30 for all the bonus content?

#120193 MysterD   The Toaster CAGiversary!   28266 Posts   Joined 19.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2020 - 04:32 PM

Epic Game Store:

Free Game Today:

• The Long Dark

#120194 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1197 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2020 - 04:34 PM

Epic Game Store:

Free Game Today:

• The Long Dark

Leak looks pretty much confirmed. Not because they got The Long Dark correct (that was obvious from yesterday's teaser), but because the teaser for tomorrow does indeed look like Defense Grid.

#120195 BMXJouster   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1582 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2020 - 05:35 PM

ESRB rates No More Heroes and No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle for PC:

https://www.gematsu....struggle-for-pc

#120196 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   10250 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2020 - 05:45 PM

Time for a massive undertaking.

Super-Flower-850-W-PSU.jpg

It needed to be done; can't have this 'tier D' liability of an 'iGPU-only' PSU trying to power these components for any longer.  It could fry your parts at any time.

I dislike doing cable management so much.  But it's worth.  My case is great but the PSU shroud (more like a container) does nothing but hinder your ability to run cables.   Now my main PC core is super serial strong.  (Except....I don't have the GPU, lol.   Kinda the most important part. )

#120197 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   10250 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2020 - 05:49 PM

I bought this awesome gold-rated EVGA PSU on Ebay for only $49 new two years ago, brand new from the EVGA storefront.  Thought that I had scored one hell of a deal. 

Who knew that there were gold rated power supplies from reputable manufacturers that graded out so poorly?  Well, as it turns out, you get what you pay for.   Guess that it'll be some other poor sap's problem on Craigslist for 40 bucks now. 

#120198 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   6471 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2020 - 05:56 PM

How am I going to recharge my offbrand lightsaber without jerking off my wiimote?

#120199 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11693 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 19 December 2020 - 06:00 PM

I bought one of those Super Flower PSUs and it's still in the box because I'm far too lazy to actually install it.  I figure I'll do it after Christmas when my kid gets his components and I'm doing build stuff.  I'm thinking about getting a new case with better air flow anyway.

I bought one of these for a cheap build and it weighs less than a can of soda in my estimation.  I have an EVGA 500W PSU as well and it's easily twice as heavy.  Sort of hysterically frightening.

GMG has 3D Mark for $3.85 right now which is a good get if you're doing video card upgrades.  I already feel like I got my four bucks out of it (and being able to skip the "this was fun to watch...once" demos is worth it all by itself)

#120200 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   10250 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2020 - 06:18 PM

I bought one of those Super Flower PSUs and it's still in the box because I'm far too lazy to actually install it. 

Tell me about it.  I'm staring at this thing wondering if I have the courage, ambition, and coffee to get it done today. 

Spoiler

The back (motherboard) side of my case.   It's like, "good luck!".  It was pretty nuts just trying to re-install the Corsair Commander Pro and the Lighting Node Pro.   That, the PSU cords, and the molex + SATA connectors running down from the SATA SSDs all have to be flush with the wall for the tempered glass door to shut.   So everything has to stay perfectly flat.

#120201 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9174 Posts   Joined 19.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2020 - 06:43 PM

If you missed any of the free UbiSoft PC games and items from the past 5 days, here's your chance to claim them all in one fell swoop.  It also adds the game Anno 1701 to your library for free as well.

https://register.ubi...astchance/en-US

#120202 MysterD   The Toaster CAGiversary!   28266 Posts   Joined 19.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2020 - 07:33 PM

Oh, heck yes!!!

I wonder if at some point, Lollipop Chainsaw will be coming here...

#120203 DonaldBlank   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   945 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

DonaldBlank

Posted 19 December 2020 - 08:15 PM

Oh, heck yes!!!

I wonder if at some point, Lollipop Chainsaw will be coming here...

I think that and Shadow of the Damned will be up to their published (WB and EA) unless Suda pulls a Platinum and buy their rights or something

#120204 inm8num2   The result is quite fresh and quality. CAGiversary!   3424 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2020 - 09:53 PM

I dislike doing cable management so much.  But it's worth.  My case is great but the PSU shroud (more like a container) does nothing but hinder your ability to run cables.   Now my main PC core is super serial strong.  (Except....I don't have the GPU, lol.   Kinda the most important part. )

The best thing about fully modular PSUs is that you can disconnect everything at the PSU without disrupting your cable management if you want to remove the PSU to clean out dust or even oil the fan bearing. One of the more common causes of PSU failure is fan failure, so if the type of bearing allows for lubrication just a drop of machine oil every 6-12 months (depending on use) is a great form of preventive maintenance to extend the PSU's life.

I have a semi-modular PSU so removing it still requires me to disconnect the GPU and CPU power cables from the board/components, along with the 24-pin ATX cable. Removing that thing is my least favorite task in a PC case since it feels like I'm going to break something. It usually takes quite a while of repeated attempts to attain the right angle/grip to gently loosen the connection.

Anyway, enjoy the new PSU.

#120205 crownclown67  

crownclown67

Posted 20 December 2020 - 07:42 AM

Nice discount -70 on Ryse https://store.steamp...se_Son_of_Rome/

#120206 shrinerr   Are you software people ready to fucking party? CAGiversary!   1485 Posts   Joined 18.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 December 2020 - 07:44 AM

so i finished the cyberjunk 2077 yesterday. is it a buggy mess? sure. is it the greatest game ever? nope. did i get caught up in the hype like all the other morans? yup. is it still a fun and enjoyable game? definitely. is it worth sixty bucks. probably not. if you haven't bought yet, i can recommend getting at like half off when most of the bugs are fixed.

#120207 crownclown67  

crownclown67

Posted 20 December 2020 - 07:48 AM

ok found one more game with discount: Gears 5  (~7.86 Euro (depends on region))
https://store.steamp...097840/Gears_5/

#120208 MysterD   The Toaster CAGiversary!   28266 Posts   Joined 19.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 December 2020 - 01:34 PM

ok found one more game with discount: Gears 5  (~7.86 Euro (depends on region))
https://store.steamp...097840/Gears_5/

Gears 5 is worth the $10 USD or so, for those who don't sub to PC Game Pass or are looking to "own" it on PC.

Played it on PC Game Pass.

#120209 Blade   This is the way Silenced   15480 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 December 2020 - 02:00 PM

so i finished the cyberjunk 2077 yesterday. is it a buggy mess? sure. is it the greatest game ever? nope. did i get caught up in the hype like all the other morans? yup. is it still a fun and enjoyable game? definitely. is it worth sixty bucks. probably not. if you haven't bought yet, i can recommend getting at like half off when most of the bugs are fixed.

Glad to hear you're not screeching for your money back after being a moran and succumbing to hype and Keanu Reeves' face.

#120210 MysterD   The Toaster CAGiversary!   28266 Posts   Joined 19.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 December 2020 - 02:02 PM

So, here's the big question here: how do you like these compared to the Deus Ex games?

B/c if it's really up the Deus Ex alley (excluding Invisible War and The Fall), I'll probably really like it or even love it.