* * * * * 84 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free Epic

#120751 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5821 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 08:05 AM

Deus Ex has never had a great sequel. The modern series is ... ok ... it’s better than Invisible War or whatever that was on the Xbox, but the level of choice and freedom in the original Deus Ex is unparalleled, even compared to more modern games. Fingers crossed that some new IP we’ve never heard of comes along and really blows things out of the water in 2021.

#120752 MysterD   40 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2020)) CAGiversary!   26308 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 12:56 PM

I loved Deus Ex HR and really liked even MD, but....yeah, Deus Ex 1 is on a Godly level still. DE1 is one of the games ever made. When Deus Ex 1 came out, for me, there wasn't any other game out there that I played like that. It was a fantastic mix of RPG/FPS.

Thing is...HR is basically more Deus Ex; and MD is more of that. MY biggest problem w/ MD was....well, it wasn't finished with its story arc and a bunch of threads never got wrapped-up. B/c of that all, to me, it's a great game that really needs a stand-alone expansion, sequel, or something...just to wrap stuff up.

Deus Ex: Invisible War (AKA Deus Ex 2) was another one that never lived-up to the hype, given how amazing previous game was. Things like the unified ammo for me; and consolization of the game really did not help matters, IMHO. Still like the game, even despite it never living up to the hype of the original Deus Ex masterpiece.

Kind of reminds me of DAO. I loved DAO and think it's one of the best and last true old-school style CRPG's of that kind from AAA studio - but, DA2 really so did not live up to the hype. I liked DA2, but...it lacked the customization & tac-cam. Recycled areas really hurt the game more than anything, IMHO.

I think we could compare Cyberpunk 2077 also to Fable. A lot of Fable 1's features....just weren't in the game. The evolving trees. The game was supposed to be a true seamless open world, but inside they had no choice but to do a areas/modules/maps set-up - more on that here. Other heroes that you might have to compete with. Yeah, for a lot of people that dropped $60 on that, I bet they were disappointed. But, I think many also felt the same about the repetitive Black & White games, too - another game hyped to the moon, but didn't live up to the hype; and also had cut contents.

#120753 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11341 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted Today, 01:47 PM

Today's Lessons were (a) Learn a healthy dose of skepticism when dealing with people whose job is it to turn your money into their money and (b) If a product isn't explicitly a sequel in a franchise, don't go expecting it to be the sequel in that franchise. 

I wonder what the reaction split was between people who bought it largely blind thinking "Oh, hey, that looks kinda fun and cool" and people who preordered it and then hung up Keanu Reeves "100 Awesome CP2077 Features" advent calendars over their bed to count down the days until launch.

For my off-beat analogy of the day, Cyberpunk 2077 reminds me of those little black and white magnetic Scottie dogs.  If you first approached them in an advertisement in the back of Boys Life or Archie Comics, you were promised "Amazing lifelike play as dogs scamper and chase one another, acting like real dogs on your desktop!".  Then you'd get a box with two little magnets with a plastic dog toy on top and the gimmick being that one magnet repelled the other.  OMG so much disappointment.

On the other hand, if you came across them in a gumball machine at the grocery store, while waiting by the doors for mom to finally find her checkbook and pay, they looked pretty cool.  Mostly because all the hype text wasn't there and they were surrounded by cheap brass-plated rings and stickers and plastic necklaces. You'd see those and think "Hey, that's something I could amuse myself with for a while". 

That's CP2077 for me.  For me, it's one of the gems in my gaming collection, fun for what it is and better than 95% of the other stuff.  For others, I'm sure it was an object lesson in why you don't daydream too hard when reading comic book ads promising x-ray vision and hovercrafts and "real" pirate gold.

#120754 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   15112 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 02:56 PM

^ That's the part that gets to me. I can understand children falling for those ads, but not adults. I might be a hard-ass, but I'd draw the line at 14 for that sort of marketing credulity/gullibility.

But I mean, Trump was almost re-elected, so maybe I'm the true idealist here.

#120755 MysterD   40 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2020)) CAGiversary!   26308 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 03:02 PM

Cyberpunk 2077 stuff.

Newest Patch 1.10 adds a new game-breaking bug & a workaround is listed in here to get around it for the "Down the Street" mission.

Sources:

The "Down the Street" mission bug & work-around.
Spoiler

#120756 BaeStuped   Better Than You CAGiversary!   21371 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 04:31 PM

Anyone have recommendation for wireless keyboard and mouse trying to keep it under $100?

How are you using it? Any couch gaming? Or strictly desktop?

Logitech is probably your best either way as they have many different combos to choose from. Those keyboard is mechanical and wireless and currently $80:

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B07796MBJ7/

If you pair that with like a $40 lightspeed g305 you've got a nice wireless gaming combo for $120.

#120757 NotNewHere  

NotNewHere

Posted Today, 04:39 PM

Anyone have recommendation for wireless keyboard and mouse trying to keep it under $100?

Logitech G305 w/pad via Walmart. If can locate on clearence,it's $19.88

Keyboard wise,all depends.

#120758 Smkane112  

Posted Today, 05:03 PM

How are you using it? Any couch gaming? Or strictly desktop?

Logitech is probably your best either way as they have many different combos to choose from. Those keyboard is mechanical and wireless and currently $80:

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B07796MBJ7/

If you pair that with like a $40 lightspeed g305 you've got a nice wireless gaming combo for $120.

I use from a couch.  Always have used logitech in the past (usually their $20 to $30 combos) only thing is I've alway had problem connection with their keyboards either lags or drops connection completely even when the receiver is 2ft away.  Not sure if this is a problem with their more expensive ones or not.

Gaming I mainly use a controller but sometimes I do use the keyboard

#120759 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5821 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 05:04 PM

^ That's the part that gets to me. I can understand children falling for those ads, but not adults. I might be a hard-ass, but I'd draw the line at 14 for that sort of marketing credulity/gullibility.

But I mean, Trump was almost re-elected, so maybe I'm the true idealist here.

There’s a big difference between an ad and a game preview/ walk through though, and I don’t mean an E3 preview but one that’s closer to actual launch. Just seems like CP2077 didn’t live up to the initial promise or vision, but it could improve. Fable is a good comparison and that seemed to be nicely improved by the time the Lost Chapters were added on.

Maybe CD Projekt Red should hire Peter Molyneux ... 😜

#120760 BreadNiblets   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1381 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

BreadNiblets

Posted Today, 05:23 PM

Feeling mildly devastated (if there is such a thing as mild devastation) to see this news:

https://www.gamesrad...reative-reboot/

Was hoping there might be a chance to see a RE4 remake this year that was faithful to the original. Now it looks like we'll be getting a significantly altered version in 2023 at the soonest. It should still be great but feeling a little less confident that it will be worth buying at a high price.

#120761 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5821 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 05:39 PM

Feeling mildly devastated (if there is such a thing as mild devastation) to see this news:

Was hoping there might be a chance to see a RE4 remake this year that was faithful to the original. Now it looks like we'll be getting a significantly altered version in 2023 at the soonest. It should still be great but feeling a little less confident that it will be worth buying at a high price.

Isn’t that actually good news though? RE3 remake was panned for being rushed and cutting content from the original. They’re bringing RE4 back in house to avoid that and take more time to get it right. We might have to wait longer but the end product should be closer to a $60 value ... just my two cents.

#120762 BreadNiblets   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1381 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

BreadNiblets

Posted Today, 05:44 PM

Isn’t that actually good news though? RE3 remake was panned for being rushed and cutting content from the original. They’re bringing RE4 back in house to avoid that and take more time to get it right. We might have to wait longer but the end product should be closer to a $60 value ... just my two cents.

They were never going to cut content, so I don't think it's good news. The article mentions the original dev wanted to avoid making changes partially due to the negative feedback to RE3. They were the ones who wanted it to be faithful to the original, but Capcom decided they wanted to make changes so they switched developers. Again, it will probably still be good but RE4 really isn't the type game that needs sweeping changes. AFAIC they can only make it worse.

#120763 Smkane112  

Posted Today, 05:47 PM

meh dont care for RE4 I want a remake of Code Veronica 

#120764 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11341 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted Today, 05:49 PM

There’s a big difference between an ad and a game preview

There is literally no difference between these things.

#120765 BreadNiblets   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1381 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

BreadNiblets

Posted Today, 05:52 PM

meh dont care for RE4 I want a remake of Code Veronica 

Hopefully that's in the pipeline, though I would embrace some pretty major overhauls to that game's design and environments.