* * * * * 84 votes

Steam+ Deals Mega Thread (All PC Gaming Deals)

PC Steam Origin Uplay DRM-Free Epic

#123841 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9874 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 November 2021 - 06:22 PM

Dan Hay leaves UbiSoft after 10 years (exec. producer & often a lead on Far Cry games since FC3)...possibly b/c of FC Live Service project:

https://www.eurogame...-after-10-years

Oh look, Ubisoft thinks they deserve a series of service games now too.  People struggle with playing your games for even 20 hours.  Because they don't have that magic.  Could it have something to do with the lifeless worlds?  I guess it wasn't good enough with tens of millions of sales for every annual release.  Should have stayed in your lane, bros. 

Still lol'ing at their meager attempt to turn the Division into a service game.  Things will certainly go better with even less soul put into these new projects. 

Looks like I'm done with Ubisoft now.  More Fallout 76 coming.  Pretty sad considering how talented they are.  Not that I played their games that much to begin with.  All those $100 Gold Editions, carved content DLCs, and luckluster support.  Like if you want to do Destiny then you've gotta put the money and resources into doing Destiny.  That's your full time commitment.  If you want to make Facebook games, gacha, or F2P/P2W nonsense then just go do that.  Not everybody gets to be the next Fortnite.

#123842 MysterD   41 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2021)) CAGiversary!   27276 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 November 2021 - 06:51 PM

Oh look, Ubisoft thinks they deserve a series of service games now too.  People struggle with playing your games for even 20 hours bros.  Because they don't have that magic.  Could it have something to do with the lifeless worlds maybe?  I guess it wasn't good enough with tens of millions of sales for every annual release.  Should have stayed in your lane. 

Still lol'ing at their meager attempt to turn the Division into a service game.  Things will certainly go better with even less soul put into these new projects. 

Looks like I'm done with Ubisoft now.  Pretty sad considering how talented they are.  Not that I played their games that much to begin with.  All those $100 Gold Editions, carved content DLCs, and luckluster support.  Like if you want to do Destiny then you've gotta put the money and resources into doing Destiny.  That's your full time commitment.  If you want to make Facebook games, gatcha, or F2P/P2W nonsense then just go do that.  Not everybody gets to be the next Fortnite.

Probably b/c most games don't deserve to be over 10-20 hours. After a while, they get repetitious and lack unique content - and if anyone's the epitome of that, it's UbiSoft. Also now w/ so many game companies & actual games on the market, often copying each other 'til the game-genre gets milked by every company, they probably could make 10-15 hour games and we'd all be happy. Cheaper barrier of entry and probably cheaper to make. The other problem is - some of these game companies still think they can charge $60-100 for these shorter games...and most aren't deserving to do so.

Not every game needs to be 30-200 hour Skyrim epic, chasing the Skyrim dragon.

They'd probably make more $ making shorter games and charging less for them, especially if they want to do yearly iterations.

Also, I don't know why every company thinks they can be the next Fortnite, WoW, or Destiny, GTA Online - not many can do that. There's pretty much not much room for games of that type, as those type of games are insane and major time-sinks and life-sinks.

Don't like the idea of UbiSoft going live service w/ FC and AC also, thinking they can top what Division has done. Meh. As if we don't get enough fatigue w/ their games & formula...and now there's THIS w/ FC.

Oh, and where's that always online BG&E 2? SKull and Bones?

EDIT:

The core Diablo guys leaving Blizzard b/c of always-online D3 plans; Dan Houser & Leslie leaving probably b/c GTA Online got too big and Take-2 wants more of that; and now Day Hay leaves Ubi b/c of the Live Service crap.

Square had all kinds of mess w/ putting a single-player company like Crystal Dynamics on Avengers Live service game and Fallout 76 tanked. When will these publishers learn?  

EDIT 2:

Didn't check this forum for a week and missed a bunch of posts relevant to my interests. 

Pretty crazy seeing that PC Gamer cover since I actually have a specific memory associated with it. I remember going to the Renaissance Fair with my friends and one of them brought that magazine along. I was excited to see what DNF looked like. Crazy that it's been 24 years. My current group of friends was first formed back then because online gaming hadn't quite taken off and we would go to each other's house every weekend and LAN with Quake, Duke 3D or whatever. I posted about that PC Gamer in our group chat and the friend that had the magazine posted a picture of him with the magazine; he still has it.

It's funny for me to see people say Blizzard lost its quality 10+ years ago. I love the Diablo series and I greatly enjoyed Warcraft 1, but by the time WC2 came out the RTS formula was already getting stale. I hated SC1 and never liked WoW. OTOH, Overwatch is the first truly great fps since Quake 3 and Hearthstone is my favorite game of all time. I have a slight preference for D2, but I believe overall D3 is the best of the Diablos although truly the best Diablo game ever is Marvel Heroes. I never liked RTS's in multiplayer, but SC2 is definitely the best single-player RTS Blizz ever made. So, I feel the last 10 years of Blizzard is insanely better than what they put out in the 90s and 00s. 

I'll take Bioshock series, FEAR 1 and Left 4 Dead 2 any day over Overwatch.

#123843 Captain Wrong   ... CAGiversary!   742 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Captain Wrong

Posted 12 November 2021 - 07:38 PM

Ope...

https://www.engadget...-192133431.html

(GTA3 Trillogy Pulled on PC)

#123844 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   11385 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 November 2021 - 08:23 PM

Overwatch decent?  It's just a streamlined casual version of most every other team-based shooter.  TF2 is superior despite being a decade older.  And its stylized graphics still hold up today.

#123845 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   15472 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 November 2021 - 08:27 PM

Ope...

https://www.engadget...-192133431.html

(GTA3 Trillogy Pulled on PC)

eab.jpg

#123846 nny   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   671 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 November 2021 - 09:21 PM

Feel is really important to me in games and Overwatch was the first game to have that really great feel that classic Id games had. Jeff Kaplan was a huge Action Quake fan and he really made sure that OW felt great.

A couple things that happened post Quake 3 include the rise of console fps's, which really hurt the genre, and all the games using the Unreal engine. Unreal engine games feel ok overall, but I don't think shooting has ever felt great in a single one.

Since a couple Valve games were mentioned I will say Source games feel much better than Unreal games, but still no where near the feel of an Id game.

#123847 MysterD   41 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2021)) CAGiversary!   27276 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 November 2021 - 09:36 PM

eab.jpg

Good thing I have my Steam and retail copies of the old GTA Trilogy Classics and that those still work just fine, after modding and downgrading them.

Regardless, this all proves my point of how much a waste these requirements of new launchers, services, and whatnot are for single-player portions of games; and how gamers should avoid buying stuff on Day One of its original release. It's bullcrap that say this GTA Trilogy Remaster basically rendered GTA5/Online and RDR2 as also not working.

Hopefully, Rockstar can straighten this mess out, at some point and all - and get this game back up on PC; and hopefully at some point also on other game stores (like Steam and GOG; okay, I'm really dreaming here on it hitting GOG and all).

EDIT:

Overwatch decent?  It's just a streamlined casual version of most every other team-based shooter.  TF2 is superior despite being a decade older.  And its stylized graphics still hold up today.

Agreed. I'll also take TF2 over Overwatch.

#123848 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9874 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 November 2021 - 09:40 PM

Objectively decent.  Many would say great even.  That wasn't even the spirit of the remark anyways.   The point is that Blizzard has done nothing else noteworthy since the first couple of WoW expansions.  They don't make great games anymore and haven't for a very long time.

Besides, aren't you like a huge Blizzard fanboy that plays Hearthstone and Diablo and stuff? I've seen people reference that on here from time to time.

#123849 MysterD   41 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2021)) CAGiversary!   27276 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 November 2021 - 09:55 PM

Looks like GTA Trilogy Definitive got pulled b/c they also included the "Holy Grail" files in this that include all kinds of cut-content & messages from Rockstar North.

GameSpot - https://www.gamespot...d/1100-6497977/

EDIT:

I wonder what's left for cut-content, even if it ain't utilized in-game.

Old music tracks might still be there.

Is Hot Coffee still there?

What else is cut that's there?

EDIT 2 - 11/13/2021:

Dataminers found Hot Coffee code & files in the GTA Trilogy Remasters:

https://www.videogam...edly-uncovered/

#123850 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   7257 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 November 2021 - 09:57 PM

Amazing.

#123851 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9874 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 November 2021 - 10:10 PM

Looks like GTA Trilogy Definitive got pulled b/c they also included the "Holy Grail" files in this that include all kinds of cut-content & messages from Rockstar North.

GameSpot - https://www.gamespot...d/1100-6497977/

EDIT:

I wonder what's left for cut-content, even if it ain't utilized in-game.

Old music tracks might still be there.

Is Hot Coffee still there?

What else is cut that's there?

From that article - "According to a report, if the GTA re-releases perform well, Rockstar might remaster Red Dead Redemption next. Take-Two's Karl Slatoff recently outlined Take-Two's position on remasters, saying it's all about the money."

Uh oh you gotta buy it now MysterD.

#123852 MysterD   41 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2021)) CAGiversary!   27276 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 November 2021 - 10:26 PM

From that article - "According to a report, if the GTA re-releases perform well, Rockstar might remaster Red Dead Redemption next. Take-Two's Karl Slatoff recently outlined Take-Two's position on remasters, saying it's all about the money."

Uh oh you gotta buy it now MysterD.

Can't buy it at this moment, as PC version's been pulled from the Rockstar Store. ;)

Regardless, given how PC gamers basically brought Rockstar Launcher and Store to its knees yesterday & today, I'd guess RDR1 PC is probably happening.

Heck, for all we know, it could already be worked on behind the scenes. [shrug]

#123853 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9874 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 November 2021 - 10:30 PM

Can't buy it at this moment, as PC version's been pulled from the Rockstar Store. ;)

Regardless, given how PC gamers basically brought Rockstar Launcher and Store to its knees yesterday & today, I'd guess RDR1 PC is probably happening.

Heck, for all we know, it could already be worked on behind the scenes. [shrug]

hurry-up-and-buy-fast.gif

#123854 inm8num2   The result is quite fresh and quality. CAGiversary!   3394 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 November 2021 - 10:39 PM

Didn't check this forum for a week and missed a bunch of posts relevant to my interests. 

Pretty crazy seeing that PC Gamer cover since I actually have a specific memory associated with it. I remember going to the Renaissance Fair with my friends and one of them brought that magazine along. I was excited to see what DNF looked like. Crazy that it's been 24 years. My current group of friends was first formed back then because online gaming hadn't quite taken off and we would go to each other's house every weekend and LAN with Quake, Duke 3D or whatever. I posted about that PC Gamer in our group chat and the friend that had the magazine posted a picture of him with the magazine; he still has it.

Every time I'm reminded of PC Gamer magazine I deeply regret that over 15 years ago I recycled all my issues (mid 1997 to early 2000). At that time I was moving out of state and wanted to clean up some of my old stuff in my parents' house. There was no real need to ditch the mags, though. At least I kept and still have the demo discs. What I would do to flip through all those issues once more!

#123855 weretable   is that you baby, or just a brilliant disguise CAGiversary!   1130 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

weretable

Posted 12 November 2021 - 10:45 PM

It is only the last few years that Blizz has went to complete crap.  Diablo 3 was a scam when it released with the auction house bullshit but they vastly improved the game with the expansion.  I sort of liked HotS.  It was the only moba I could stand.  It still wasn't 100% my cup of tea but I had some fun with it.  Also Legion was actually the most fun WoW expansion since Wrath and they did some fantastic stuff in it.  Unfortunately the expansion that followed it  trashed all of the good stuff and fell back on the tired horde vs alliance crap with a story straight from a seven-year-olds fan fic.  And they proceeded to ignore everybody in the beta who had anything negative to say.   And I guess the last expansion was even worse.  I still have a tiny sliver of hope that Diablo 4 will be good.

I like Ubisoft games.  Fenyx Rising was fun.  I liked the Division before something shiny distracted me and I forgot about it, same with AC Odyssey.  TakeANumberTwo/RS I just don't care about, I kept trying to play the GTA games and lost interest because honestly not much has changed about the formula since Vice City.  I might have eventually played the mod remasters of some of them but they killed those so they could put out much shittier remasters without having to compete with better, free options so now I just don't care to ever bother playing them at all.   Or anything else they make.  

Christmas of 2023 when my Steam Deck finally arrives all three of these corporate beasts can go under, I will be finally be able to play Phasmophobia on the toilet or Rimworld at funerals.  What more does a person need?

#123856 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   6445 Posts   Joined 18.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 November 2021 - 10:54 PM

Overwatch desperately needed a single player campaign mode to get anywhere near the classic Blizzard titles for me personally. It seems like Overwatch 2 may rectify that oversight … but I found it extremely meh without any sort of single or multiplayer story campaign to actually develop what seemed like interesting characters.

With that said, that genre isn’t one of my favorites … so I can understand why it made a ton of money and continues to be popular with people who do love the Team Fortress / team shooter genre.

#123857 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   11385 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 November 2021 - 12:36 AM

Objectively decent.  Many would say great even.  That wasn't even the spirit of the remark anyways.   The point is that Blizzard has done nothing else noteworthy since the first couple of WoW expansions.  They don't make great games anymore and haven't for a very long time.

Besides, aren't you like a huge Blizzard fanboy that plays Hearthstone and Diablo and stuff? I've seen people reference that on here from time to time.

I initially played Hearthstone and bought D3 for like $10 on sale if that counts.

#123858 KingBeefsteak  

KingBeefsteak

Posted 13 November 2021 - 12:48 AM

I initially played Hearthstone and bought D3 for like $10 on sale if that counts.

Meh, multiply Diablo 3 times Hearthstone and you have two unimpressive Blizzard games that aren't anywhere near as good as their 90's games were. Even Overwatch didn't do it for me and was nowhere as good as older games like Team Fortress 2. You paid about what they were worth.

#123859 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   11385 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 November 2021 - 01:27 AM

Meh, multiply Diablo 3 times Hearthstone and you have two unimpressive Blizzard games that aren't anywhere near as good as their 90's games were. Even Overwatch didn't do it for me and was nowhere as good as older games like Team Fortress 2. You paid about what they were worth.

Indeed!  I had so much fun with TF2 that -- back when they still charged for it -- I bought a bunch of copies on sale for $2.50 and gifted them to friends.  I can't think of many (any?) pick-up-and-play co-op/PvP games I would do the same for today.

#123860 Wa1terSobchak   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   5233 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Wa1terSobchak

Posted 13 November 2021 - 02:55 AM

m4hGPfA.jpg

#123861 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   6445 Posts   Joined 18.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 November 2021 - 04:03 AM

Elden Ring is pretty sweet, it’s like Dark Souls and Skyrim had a baby with a bit of Breath of the Wild mixed in. It’s still very much a Dark Souls game, but with more of everything. Seems like there will be tons of secrets to find and places to explore given the open world nature of the game coupled with dark souls tradition of super secret hidden areas, bosses and items.

Psyched for February … may actually stop playing the test because I don’t want to spoil the game when it comes out.

#123862 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   6445 Posts   Joined 18.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 November 2021 - 04:32 PM

My one criticism/ concern that’s been nagging at me a bit is that Elden Rings is a less tailored experience, since it’s open world … so it’s easier to avoid enemies or see repetition in enemy placement than something like Dark Souls or Bloodborne. I’m not sure that will be an actual issue, but it definitely reduces some tension because you can just avoid enemies now. Still psyched that this is, for all intents and purposes, another Dark Souls game.

Oh, one last thing, the sense of dread is definitely more absent … which I feel mixed about. Dark Souls and Bloodborne are both dark, ominous and horrific worlds … this has aspects of that horror but it’s also balanced with more traditional fantasy. Will be interesting to see how that feels over the course of the game.

#123863 Insomniac_34   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1530 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Insomniac_34

Posted 13 November 2021 - 05:17 PM

Open-world is my biggest worry, too, but I have to give them the benefit of the doubt here since Miyazaki doesn't miss.

#123864 BreadNiblets   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1528 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

BreadNiblets

Posted 13 November 2021 - 07:43 PM

I'm not keen on open worlds anymore but I'm still hoping FromSoft will put on a clinic and show the world how to properly design an open world that is dense with meaningful content. I can't wait to play Elden Ring. At the same time I hope it's a one-and-done and Miyazaki goes back to designing proper levels with his next game.

In any case, early 2022 is looking good. Elden Ring and God of War PC are going to keep me on the toilet for a while.

#123865 TheKbob   FakeyBro™, Esq. CAGiversary!   1679 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 November 2021 - 07:52 PM

In any case, early 2022 is looking good. Elden Ring and God of War PC are going to keep me on the toilet for a while.

You could say 2022 is when...

Spoiler

#123866 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8784 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 November 2021 - 08:05 PM

Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance is back for purchase on GOG.com.

https://www.gog.com/...lid_2_substance

#123867 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   5073 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 November 2021 - 08:17 PM

Picked up Metal Gear Solid V: The Definitive for $5.69 from Fanatical: https://www.fanatica...perience-plugin

Never got around to Ground Zeroes or Phantom Pain on PS4, plus they will look a hell of a lot better on my gaming laptop.

#123868 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8784 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 November 2021 - 08:21 PM

Picked up Metal Gear Solid V: The Definitive for $5.69 from Fanatical: https://www.fanatica...perience-plugin

Never got around to Ground Zeroes or Phantom Pain on PS4, plus they will look a hell of a lot better on my gaming laptop.

Both are great games with a lot of depth.  I am just terrible at stealth games.  :dunce:

#123869 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   11385 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 November 2021 - 09:12 PM

Sniper Elite 3 plus all DLC is the Star Deal on Fanatical at $5.  They say there are 'few keys left' but I doubt that's true.  It's been in a couple of Humble Bundles a few  years ago but hasn't been in any Fanatical bundles... yet.  Still, I'm thinking if they ever do put it in a Fanatical Bundle they might not include the DLC.

#123870 MysterD   41 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2021)) CAGiversary!   27276 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 November 2021 - 02:31 AM

GTA Trilogy Definitive Edition - Switch version actually included the Source Code for the game:

https://www.reddit.c...ta_trilogy_the/