I played an hour of the DioField Chronicles demo.
I finally tried it yesterday (on PS5 though).
1. The controls also feels like it was designed for a PC in mind, but then people playing on PC say they wish it was designed with PC in mind. So maybe they tried to compromise and missed both targets.
- The movement queue is a little limited. You only get like 3 waypoints per character.
- Some of the QoL is odd. I keep leaving the shop purchase screen because if you hit back, it doesn't go back to the weapon categories; it goes back a page.
- Unsure how it is on PC, but on PS5, prompts appear before you can actually input something. So at least a few times, I'll see a prompt <Yes> <No> or whatever, hit confirm, and nothing happens. Because you have to wait like half a second before the input registers.
2. The 2D art is fine, but the 3D is lacking in details. It's passable, but it leaves a lot to be desired.
3. At the beginning, it felt very much like a MOBA, where you just send a unit and it auto attacks. But it quickly got past that where you'd want to use skills, and you're issuing a lot of movements and commands.
4. I played on hard, and while most missions have been easy, I've been stuck on at level 11 side mission. I've failed 3x so far and I don't really know how to beat it. Unless I'm supposed to grind, because my characters die in a couple of hits when a strong unit shows up.
While I was initially unimpressed, I did enjoy it more than I expected to. Should it be $40 instead? I don't know, because I don't know how much is in the main game. But the demo itself was quite lengthy.