* * * - - 47 votes

New Nintendo 3DS Bundles up for Preorder at Gamestop, Best Buy, Target! (releases 2/13)

#5191 WinterAvenger   The Egocentric Cheapo Banned   1787 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

WinterAvenger

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:38 PM

WTF, they started to grade these things now like they do with sports cards???

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4d267b6c0c

Scam site to get rich collector's to pay premium.

#5192 gnoh  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:40 PM

Yeah look up the terms, its ridiculous. They charge a % of what they value it to be worth in order to grade it. 

#5193 gnugget5   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   322 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

gnugget5

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:49 PM

DUde, can you  assign Ferrari Racer as the OP on this thread? You aren't updating it. Please reassign.

The first post has been changed to a Wiki (and has been for a day or so) and people have clearly been updating it as they see fit. 

#5194 elessar123  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:49 PM

Not -really- a scam site, but any gains from getting it certified is lost to the cost to certify.

#5195 Rick4Life  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:50 PM

The first post has been changed to a Wiki (and has been for a day or so) and people have clearly been updating it as they see fit. 

You need to reset the poll. It's bad data.

#5196 WinterAvenger   The Egocentric Cheapo Banned   1787 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

WinterAvenger

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:05 PM

You need to reset the poll. It's bad data.

This times x100. I am super curious.

#5197 bgrngod   CE/SE/LE/UE/PE/ME whore CAGiversary!   626 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:06 PM

I always laugh when I see some of the crazy stuff people have paid money to get graded. Like brand new copies of games that sold millions of copies. Grading like that only really makes sense to me when it's something that has already become a collectors item, such as much older games (old comics are a great example for when grading makes sense). But brand new games, or games that are only a few years old? The hell??

#5198 scottman   The ORIGINAL smiley blank face. CAGiversary!   3574 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

scottman

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:25 PM

MH Le is pretty commonly produced it seems. Mine still have it aswell. If only the text wasn't on it I'd get it.

Not so much common as just less in demand, also since you pay $30 for the preinstall + shipping for most.   I would really love to see actual numbers on these.

#5199 squishface   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1975 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

squishface

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:28 PM

It appears that the poll is gone?
At least on my page on my tablet

#5200 maximumzero   Seriously, quit it. CAGiversary!   4126 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

maximumzero

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:31 PM

If you have an idea what you'd like to see on either/both, PM me.  I'm interested.

I dunno, I keep waffling on it. I have more Wii Remotes than I could possibly need, so the Gold remote would be better as cash in my pocket, and the Ganon figure never left the packaging and is just up on the shelf collecting dust. Hmm.

#5201 soxxx   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   864 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:32 PM

If Fry's is gonna cancel, I hope they do it now. I'd be really pissed for it to be cancelled in Feb. But to be safe, I'm still waiting out some other editions. 

I hope they do it ASAP.

But honestly about the hold, bestbuy puts holds on your account to and takes them off, when I had my Wii u and PS4 preordered and every now and then they would check my account.

#5202 Mikurden  

Mikurden

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:37 PM

I got a Best Buy survey email yesterday for my (cancelled) MM N3DSXL pre-order.  My (long) comments:

I don't appreciate you taking far more pre-orders than you actually had available for purchase.  There is no reason why your system shouldn't be tied to your inventory in order to mark something as out-of-stock as orders are placed and available quantities are depleted.  Apparently this doesn't concern you at all since such problems go back at least 3 years:

http://usatoday30.us...ders/52521568/1
'Best Buy is often a target of complaints about late and unfulfilled orders and is "the only major store who routinely has these kinds of issues"'

To add insult to injury, you then took 9 days to cancel the order and notify would-be customers of your incompetence, just long enough so that there were no longer any opportunities to pre-order this limited edition item somewhere else.  I understand that your first wave of order cancellations reduced anyone who had tried to circumvent your "one per person" restriction on this item to just one item.  Since there were many would-be scalpers who ordered large quantities of these, the fact that you had to do a second wave of cancellations for people who only ordered one tells me that you must have oversold this item by a lot.  Further, my understanding is that orders were selected for cancellation in this second wave based on when they completed internal processing on your system.  I'm not sure how fair this really is (as opposed to going by the time the order was placed), since some forms of payment take longer to be fully processed by your system than others (despite the receipt of an order confirmation), but in any case, this second wave of cancellations should have solely applied to those who were hit in the first wave, fully cancelling the last remaining order of those who had tried to order extra.  Only at that point (if further cancellations were still necessary due to your gross incompetence) should there have been a third wave of cancellations for those who had only ever tried to order one, in accordance with your stated policy for this item.

Needless to say, your terrible handling of every aspect of this tells me that I should have listened to those who warned against trusting Best Buy with a pre-order, or even a regular order, apparently.  I now have the misfortune of joining the many people, going back many years, who have direct experience with this and now know that Best Buy should never be your first choice, but should only be used as a last resort if the desired item is sold out at all other retailers (those who actually know how to run a website and respect their customers).  Only then is it worth buying a ticket in the Best Buy lottery, since at that point it's better than nothing.  I'd therefore suggest that you change your name to "Better than Nothing" Buy, but I guess that doesn't have the same ring to it, however true it might be.

#5203 scottman   The ORIGINAL smiley blank face. CAGiversary!   3574 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

scottman

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:38 PM

They have been grading games for at least 5+ years I think.  Collectors will buy anything that makes it seem "better".

For N64 boxes and other fragile packaged games, I can almost ALMOST understand grading it since there are dents and sharp corners and things, but when you grade a dvd case ps2 game or sealed 3ds case with shrinkwrap on it, I just don't understand the need and doubt their process would always give it the same grade.

#5204 soxxx   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   864 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:41 PM

I got a Best Buy survey email yesterday for my (cancelled) MM N3DSXL pre-order.  My (long) comments:

I don't appreciate you taking far more pre-orders than you actually had available for purchase.  There is no reason why your system shouldn't be tied to your inventory in order to mark something as out-of-stock as orders are placed and available quantities are depleted.  Apparently this doesn't concern you at all since such problems go back at least 3 years:

http://usatoday30.us...ders/52521568/1
'Best Buy is often a target of complaints about late and unfulfilled orders and is "the only major store who routinely has these kinds of issues"'

To add insult to injury, you then took 9 days to cancel the order and notify would-be customers of your incompetence, just long enough so that there were no longer any opportunities to pre-order this limited edition item somewhere else.  I understand that your first wave of order cancellations reduced anyone who had tried to circumvent your "one per person" restriction on this item to just one item.  Since there were many would-be scalpers who ordered large quantities of these, the fact that you had to do a second wave of cancellations for people who only ordered one tells me that you must have oversold this item by a lot.  Further, my understanding is that orders were selected for cancellation in this second wave based on when they completed internal processing on your system.  I'm not sure how fair this really is (as opposed to going by the time the order was placed), since some forms of payment take longer to be fully processed by your system than others (despite the receipt of an order confirmation), but in any case, this second wave of cancellations should have solely applied to those who were hit in the first wave, fully cancelling the last remaining order of those who had tried to order extra.  Only at that point (if further cancellations were still necessary due to your gross incompetence) should there have been a third wave of cancellations for those who had only ever tried to order one, in accordance with your stated policy for this item.

Needless to say, your terrible handling of every aspect of this tells me that I should have listened to those who warned against trusting Best Buy with a pre-order, or even a regular order, apparently.  I now have the misfortune of joining the many people, going back many years, who have direct experience with this and now know that Best Buy should never be your first choice, but should only be used as a last resort if the desired item is sold out at all other retailers (those who actually know how to run a website and respect their customers).  Only then is it worth buying a ticket in the Best Buy lottery, since at that point it's better than nothing.  I'd therefore suggest that you change your name to "Better than Nothing" Buy, but I guess that doesn't have the same ring to it, however true it might be.

If you ever have an issue like this, tell them that you are posting your story to your 800 friends on facebook, 10,000 twitter followers, multiple websites, etc.

It scares the living hell out of them. I work at a grocery store and we had this discussion, customer service is always a priority and with social media, word of mouth can work both wonders for a company, but also nightmares.

#5205 scottman   The ORIGINAL smiley blank face. CAGiversary!   3574 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

scottman

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:44 PM

Complaining is fine, but saying Bestbuy is the only company where this kind of thing happens is not true.  We still don't even know if it was their fault or Nintendo changed their allotment.

#5206 Mikurden  

Mikurden

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:49 PM

Complaining is fine, but saying Bestbuy is the only company where this kind of thing happens is not true.  We still don't even know if it was their fault or Nintendo changed their allotment.

Yeah, I wasn't speaking from personal knowledge on that point, which is why I included a link to an article from 3 years ago that said as much.  As for the current situation, we so far haven't seen other retailers doing mass cancellations...

#5207 Mikurden  

Mikurden

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:55 PM

If you ever have an issue like this, tell them that you are posting your story to your 800 friends on facebook, 10,000 twitter followers, multiple websites, etc.

It scares the living hell out of them. I work at a grocery store and we had this discussion, customer service is always a priority and with social media, word of mouth can work both wonders for a company, but also nightmares.

Yeah, I thought about mentioning something like that but figured that since I bothered to write so much and they're no doubt aware of the power of social media, maybe they'd be concerned without me even specifically "threatening" it.  Maybe I should have anyway, but I wonder if I'll hear anything back or if these surveys just pile up and largley go unread.

#5208 6er   Hoping "The Wall" has Gold doors CAGiversary!   2794 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:58 PM

Look at this one. Insane
http://m.ebay.com/it...98668646?nav=VI

#5209 jonodori   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   40 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

jonodori

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:58 PM

Does anyone know if you pre-ordered at Best Buy, do they take the money right away? I've gone through my statements and I don't see the charge. I looked at my order on the website but it's still there! 

#5210 SteveGo   What's my name? CAGiversary!   1217 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:06 AM

Any chance everyone can try and stay on topic? I don't care about these graded memorabilia auctions or your hate mail to Best Buy.

I'm more concerned if or when other sites, such as Walmart or TRU, might list the MM New 3DS XL for pre-order.

Much appreciated.

#5211 Bubbamel   Who ate my Reese's pieces? CAGiversary!   186 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:06 AM

Does anyone know if you pre-ordered at Best Buy, do they take the money right away? I've gone through my statements and I don't see the charge. I looked at my order on the website but it's still there! 

They will "pre-authorize" a hold on your credit card for the amount.  After a few days, that amount will drop.  Best Buy will, on occasion, put that hold back on again to make sure you have the funds.  At least that is what they have done for me a few times I have pre-ordered items. 

#5212 usagi   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1183 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:07 AM

Nope, if you do want them take your money right away, pay with gift cards if you want avoid payment issues.

#5213 Vulgarism   A living, breathing piece of defecating meat. CAGiversary!   4083 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:08 AM

Look at this one. Insane

And I doubt anybody will buy it. You can put a piece of cat shit in a vial and toss it on eBay for $700, but it doesn't make a difference at all if nobody's paying that price for it.

#5214 RenoVatio  

RenoVatio

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:12 AM

Look at this one. Insane

to think that's just a controller for a phased out console worth more than that console's successor. Does anyone really buy at that price?!

#5215 CAiNiAC   ~Baby got Backlog~ CAGiversary!   5064 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:19 AM

Cain: LE console are usually available at launch in store since they are set aside from preorder. If not when will bestbuy get more?

BBY:

Hello Cain,

You can view our selection by clicking here and here.  As soon as we have more information available, the website will be updated and you can reach out to your local store. 

Cain eh?    :-k

#5216 WinterAvenger   The Egocentric Cheapo Banned   1787 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

WinterAvenger

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:21 AM

Cain eh?    :-k

Stage name.

#5217 soxxx   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   864 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:48 AM

And to play devils advocate here, when you preorder something, you agree to the terms that they can cancel it. You agreed to those terms, that was your own decision, you accepted those conditions, so if a company cancels your order, you can't complain to much because you were the one who agreed to such terms.

Now obviously I am not trying to suggest that the companies should just be allowed to get away with everything they want, but obviously the best way to hurt them is to damage their bottom dollar. Unfortunately, I don't think the people who had there orders cancelled would be enough to even slightly move bestbuys profits if they decided to not purchase from bestbuy again.

But perhaps the easiest way to resolve this preorder drama is to just do what we did growing up, no preorders, campout. I camped out 14+ hours for my Wii in front of bestbuy. It turned out to be one of the more memorable nights from my teenage years. Bestbuy never took preorders for consoles/handhelds back then, and neither did target, neither did walmart, etc. It prevents scalping and gives people a fair chance at getting the system rather than a preorder page opening up at 3 in the morning on a weekday. At least with this method you can take off from work, and prepare accordingly. Under the current system you basically have to sit next to a computer everyday and refresh every 5 minutes. Thats ridiculous.....

#5218 DetectiveConanA113  

DetectiveConanA113

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:56 AM

But perhaps the easiest way to resolve this preorder drama is to just do what we did growing up, no preorders, campout. I camped out 14+ hours for my Wii in front of bestbuy. It turned out to be one of the more memorable nights from my teenage years. Bestbuy never took preorders for consoles/handhelds back then, and neither did target, neither did walmart, etc. It prevents scalping and gives people a fair chance at getting the system rather than a preorder page opening up at 3 in the morning on a weekday. At least with this method you can take off from work, and prepare accordingly. Under the current system you basically have to sit next to a computer everyday and refresh every 5 minutes. Thats ridiculous.....

Kinda wish it was still like this too.
I know our society is all about the convenience over fairness now, but I really miss those days.

#5219 singer07   CAG Veteran Banned   410 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:58 AM

And to play devils advocate here, when you preorder something, you agree to the terms that they can cancel it. You agreed to those terms, that was your own decision, you accepted those conditions, so if a company cancels your order, you can't complain to much because you were the one who agreed to such terms.

Now obviously I am not trying to suggest that the companies should just be allowed to get away with everything they want, but obviously the best way to hurt them is to damage their bottom dollar. Unfortunately, I don't think the people who had there orders cancelled would be enough to even slightly move bestbuys profits if they decided to not purchase from bestbuy again.

What's also rediculous is writing a short novel to strangers on the internet

#5220 gnoh  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:59 AM

It doesn't prevent scalping , just ads an extra layer of disadvantages to people. Parents can't afford to wait in line overnight for stuff their kids want and you have people cut in line all the time. At least if an online system is done well (announced beforehand etc) everyone who wants one has a fairer shot at it than the traditional wait in line strategy.