Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - Out Now! (3ds)

Bezerker

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (97%)
I got my demo codes today and was surprised that there wasn't already a thread on here for the new Monster Hunter game that is coming out February 13th on 3ds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YVcyqKkgm4

While not the biggest MH fan, I put well over 100 hrs into the Wii U one and am looking forward to the 3ds version.  I played both missions in the demo and it does seem to be more fun with Monster Hunter.  My only complaint with the current 3ds is that the camera movement is annoying (you either have to use the D pad or a virtual D pad on the touchscreen).  Luckily i'll be getting my Monster Hunter New 3ds XL on 2/13 so I wont have to worry about it too much once the full game comes out.

*EDIT*

Here is a Google Spreadsheet I created so we can all put up our friend codes and hopefully get some online play.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u3CLM4Xpl9duaIc8Hq4WVTqERmCKTMXuP8QuZ9L2pBA/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody else get a code email yet?  I usually get Nintendo emails, so I hope they're just sending them out in pre-planned batches.

This will be my first MH game since the first PSP one. Didn't really care for the PSP one. Partially because the movement and partially because I guess I was getting my ass handed to me and I didn't know wtf is going on.

Excited to re try the series in a new light/setting. I am sure I will love this, plus it will be great on the New 3DS.

I have 2 codes left, please PM me if you want one. First come first served. I will edit this post once my two extra codes have been claimed.

Update: Only one code left...

Update again: all my codes are now claimed.

Also, yes the demo supports the Circle Pad Pro, so the full game must also.

Here are my codes:

1. A071H8YC2YB704MH
2. A070FFS211KFWTGQ
3. A06WV2UM2W6NJ82R

Please post if you've used them

Does anyone still have codes they don't need? Seems like I have terrible luck when it comes to random email giveaways from Nintendo.

I just got my email from Nintendo, but it only came with two codes (sorry, one's for me and the other is already accounted for).  I thought we were supposed to get four.  Anyone else only get two?

Never got the email from Nintendo for codes, but I'm curious. I've never played a game from this series, so would playing this demo make me lost?

I own a couple of the PSP MH games but barely put any time into them.  I did download the demo for this today and managed to beat the Beginner part.  I appreciated Capcom making this demo feel much more approachable than the one for MH3 (that demo was by all accounts way too hard for newbies).

Based on my experience (what little there is) and this demo (particularly the Beginner section) I'd say you might be okay to begin with.  Just be prepared to die or run out of time early on once you get the hang of things.  I think it's ultimately worth sticking with it.  I was getting flashbacks of Phantasy Star Online in that you had to really know how to wield weapons properly for maximum effect.  Spamming a single attack or combo isn't always effective, and knowing how to cut a combo short and dodge seemed to work well when I used the sword this evening.  The monsters seemed to have good "tells" when they were most vulnerable to attack or injured, as well as when they were going to do a special attack.  It was fun to have the Felynes (your little cat warriors - I love it) be little helpers for you so you didn't feel entirely alone.

There's much more to it, but basically give yourself time to acclimate to weapons, start on Beginner (found only in the demo I believe), and be prepared to chase a monster down through the map as you wear it down.  I felt such elation when I finally took a big monster down for the first time. :)  I can now understand why people love this game.  Glad I reserved a MH4 New 3DS XL edition last week.

Is there any tutorial for MH like on youtube or something?

Tried the demo, beat the beginner. Went to intermediate and got my ass handed to me. I do really like that the demo has you fighting monsters that other games would call a boss. I also can't wait for the MH new 3DS now because using the circle pad pro on the original 3DS is annoying as all hell for me. Just trying to reach the abxy buttons is a pain in the ass.

I don't post much mainly  just lurk but I have 1 extra code for the demo. If you want it quote this post and i'll pm when I have a chance.

I never play with people online. Will MH4 be playable solo? Those little cat companions help me? I've never played a MH game beyond the demo, so it could be a stupid question.

Is anyone interested in jumping in on playing co-op multiplayer through the entire game? We could set up a schedule or something and blow through this and kick some arse. I've never played a Monster Hunter game aside from the demo for 3.

Does Monster Hunter support voice chat?

I never play with people online. Will MH4 be playable solo? Those little cat companions help me? I've never played a MH game beyond the demo, so it could be a stupid question.
If it's like the previous one it should be. In MH3G there was a local mode and an ad-hoc/online area. The ad-hoc one was playable alone but was made for multiplayer mode so it was much more difficult than the local mode game. And if the cats are anything like Cha-Cha and Kayamba were in MH3G I wouldn't be counting on them to help you out much at all. They serve as an initial distraction and they'll die quick.

Is anyone interested in jumping in on playing co-op multiplayer through the entire game? We could set up a schedule or something and blow through this and kick some arse. I've never played a Monster Hunter game aside from the demo for 3.

Does Monster Hunter support voice chat?
From what I've hear it doesn't use the 3DS voice chat. And Monster Hunter isn't a game you can just plow through. The demo gave you complete equipment setups. In the actual game you always start with next to nothing. You'll have to be constantly grinding quests for material to make your armor and weapons as you work your way and unlock higher difficulty quests.

A couple reviews mentioned using Skype to chat, so I'm guessing there is no voice chat support. I'm excited and the demo convinced me I needed a new 3ds xl to fully experience the game. A couple guys I work with are picking it up, so hopefully they'll be able to show me the ropes - this is my first MH game.

I've read that even at 100  hours you're still not that deep into the game - is that true?

Right now MH4 is sitting at a 87 out of 42 reviews on Metacritic.

I am excited to get my MH4 3DS in and check this game out. Besides I am a sucker for fights with huge animals.

A couple reviews mentioned using Skype to chat, so I'm guessing there is no voice chat support. I'm excited and the demo convinced me I needed a new 3ds xl to fully experience the game. A couple guys I work with are picking it up, so hopefully they'll be able to show me the ropes - this is my first MH game.

I've read that even at 100 hours you're still not that deep into the game - is that true?
I wouldn't say 100 hours in you aren't that deep into the game, but you definitely will have a lot left to see and do. Monster Hunter games are huge and have no shortage of things to do. I am a huge fan of the series, especially the multiplayer. From what I understand MH4U includes a great tutorial for new players and it does a great job of easing you into the games mechanics. This is also the first time MH has included online on the 3DS which just gives you even more reasons to not hunt alone.

I'm really excited to pick this up and play it on my N3DS, the c-stick is going to be very nice to have with this game.

I am glad they have the extended tutorial.

Is it possible to go out in the field and collect resources without being on a quest? I am still trying to figure out how one can collect resources while taking on a huge monster under a time limit, lol.

There should be some quests that end when you deliver a paw pass ticket for each map.  You'll unlock them once your hunter rank is high enough for them.  However a popular method, if you don't have those uneventful quests unlocked but had the hunt map that you wanted,  was to simply do suicide runs.  Depending on the map, take whatever mining/gathering gear you need, little armor, no cool/hot drinks (unless you think you need more time to look around) and once your finished farming a map just die.  Much quicker to do these runs with multiple people, as once everyone signals they're good everyone dies once.  Farming solo takes a lot more time because it requires you to die three times and since you respawn back at base camp you have to run out into the map and wait to die again. 

I'm still waiting on my N3DS from Best Buy. Should be here in any day, but I just started a game up on MH4U on my 3DSXL if anyone wants to play. I'll be on and off throughout the day since I am working at have Valentine's Day plans later this evening. My Nintendo ID is WhiskeyRadio. 

Are there any brief explanations out there on each weapon type? I am starting my game when I get home from work and I would like to know some strengths/weaknesses of each weapon if possible so I can choose the weapon that's right for me.

Are there any brief explanations out there on each weapon type? I am starting my game when I get home from work and I would like to know some strengths/weaknesses of each weapon if possible so I can choose the weapon that's right for me.
Check this wiki out.

I recommend trying different weapons early on. You'll find yourself using several different weapons throughout the game. Right now I personally really like the new Charge Blade. I also really enjoy the Long Sword and Gun Lance as well.

bread's done
Back