Help buying an N64!

Bleedingwickedly

CAGiversary!
Feedback
73 (100%)
So I'm currently looking to purchase an N64. I've been looking on EBay and every time I come to this listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NINTENDO-64-CONSOLE-2-CONTROLLERS-TIGHT-STICKS-CORDS-2-GAMES-MEM-CARD/161543642299?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D28791%26meid%3D65f2e253356a4cb08aee901a8cfb7334%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D24%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D371236214322

I'm not to sure if this is a reseller or what. Seems they have every color console and controller but everything is chosen at random when shipped. I've also seen a few listings with some games included. Just not sure which to purchase, any advise?

What I'm looking for:
A working N64
1 or 2 Officially Controllers with tight sticks
Memory Card
Expansion Pack(this is only mandatory with some games right?)

Games I plan on buying/playing:
Most first party Nintendo games(Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Zelda)
WWE games
ExciteBike 64
Crusin' World/USA
Rush
Road Rash
Any other N64 games I may have missed while I was younger.

Edit: might just jump on this one. $90 for a system+controller+Zelda all in decent shape seems pretty good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-64-Console-w-Controller-zelda-ocarina-of-time-cords-TESTED-/111576086423?pt=Video_Games&hash=item19fa73f797

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked out both of those listings and after shipping the cost is about the same. I guess it just depends on if you could get Zelda cheaper or a 2nd controller and memory card. Of course, if the 2 random games are decent (who knows?), the first one might be a better deal.

The expansion pack also improves at least one of the Star Wars games.  I played one recently on a console with the regular pack installed and it was almost unplayable due to the decreased screen draw distance.   

The important thing to remember when purchasing a Nintendo 64 is that if you do not have the expansion pack, you must at least have the jumper pack.  Many sellers remove the expansion pack to sell separately not realizing that the machine that they are selling with the empty expansion slot simply will not work.  Look carefully at the product images to make sure that the machine you are bidding on at least has some sort of pack in that front compartment.

Good luck!

Ended up picking up one on eBay for $110.

Jungle green n64 with a jungle green controller & a ice blue controller
Expansion pack
Mem card
6 games
Mario 64
Jetforce Gemini
CrusinUSA
HeyYou Pikachu
Snocross
Extreme G

It also came with the Wooden N64 storage drawer(holds 24 games)

Overall I'm pretty excited about it. I seen the storage listed by itself for $40-$60 but thought that was high. Finding the bundle I did was nice. Not too crazy about a few of those games, but I guess I need to start somewhere. Talked to my dad this past weekend, they still have my NES & Sega but got rid of my other retro systems and games.

Should I pick up a new SnES or just get the Retron 5? My boss has it and highly recommends it. He loves the fact that it has HDMI, saves, and basically has built in GameShark/GameGenie for every game.

Sounds pretty good, if your boss says its great go for it! I was hoping to buy a nintendo game cube, but I am short of money at the moment.

That does suck when that happens. I always try to look at the feedback and see if the seller has sold other consoles and people have been happy with it if I'm buying one. You can still get a bad one, but I personally think it's less likely if you buy from a seller that has sold quite a few and has good feedback doing so. Hopefully the return goes smooth for you.

It powered on but didn't have any audio or video. It also had the red expansion. I tried 4 TVs and all 6 games. Also took the expansion out and reinserted it. Contacted seller and going to ship back. He was extremely rude about it. Not even sure if I want to try ordering another one on eBay.

Well, I will say I've had issues with the cable before that plugs into the TV not working... If you have one around from a Gamecube, it's the same cable.

I have a brand new copy of WWF Wrestlemania 2000 as well as a brand new copy of the second revision of No Mercy for the n64.  I worked at THQ and got multiple copies, but sold them all but two I have in my collection, and two new copies.  I might be willing to sell them for the right price.

In regards to the revision question, the original No Mercy game shipped with a bug that wiped save data randomly.  THQ remedied this by releasing a second revision of the game, which is the one I have as seen in the pictures.  The copy of Wrestlemania 2000 is the first print with the lenticular card on the back.  Both are in pristine condition so the asking price is going to be high for these.  Last two copes i sold (1 of each) each went for $100 a piece, so that will probably be my starting point.

[attachment=12382:IMG_2305.JPG]

[attachment=12383:IMG_2306.JPG]

In regards to the revision question, the original No Mercy game shipped with a bug that wiped save data randomly. THQ remedied this by releasing a second revision of the game, which is the one I have as seen in the pictures. The copy of Wrestlemania 2000 is the first print with the lenticular card on the back. Both are in pristine condition so the asking price is going to be high for these. Last two copes i sold (1 of each) each went for $100 a piece, so that will probably be my starting point.
attachicon.gif
IMG_2305.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_2306.JPG
Those are pretty Kool but I'm not interested at all. Would rather just have the carts. Did you get these free since you worked there?

Just finished putting up my Nintendo Video Game Display, that I got from my local Kmart. Thinking about hooking the N64 up in there. Just need to figure out a way to do it, maybe glass shelves?

It powered on but didn't have any audio or video. It also had the red expansion. I tried 4 TVs and all 6 games. Also took the expansion out and reinserted it. Contacted seller and going to ship back. He was extremely rude about it. Not even sure if I want to try ordering another one on eBay.
I have an N64 that I picked up at a yard sale do the same thing. When I got it home I cleaned it and it tested fine. Now about two months later I pull it out of the box to test before trading it in and it won't work. I get power but no audio or video. I know it's not the A/V cable because I plugged it into a GC and get audio and video.

I didn't have a N64 when I was young, were they always this temperamental?

I have an N64 that I picked up at a yard sale do the same thing. When I got it home I cleaned it and it tested fine. Now about two months later I pull it out of the box to test before trading it in and it won't work. I get power but no audio or video. I know it's not the A/V cable because I plugged it into a GC and get audio and video.

I didn't have a N64 when I was young, were they always this temperamental?
I had a system when it first released for about 6 years and never had a issue. Also haven't had any issues with the other one I purchased.

Since this old thread got bumped. A little update on the system I returned to the seller. The guy received the system and told me I was full of shut and the system worked fine. I told him if that was the case then send it back or issue a refund. Now 7 months later, I still haven't received either. I can't even leave feedback on eBay because he canceled the sale or something. And he changed his phone number. Talk about an asshole.

I had a system when it first released for about 6 years and never had a issue. Also haven't had any issues with the other one I purchased.

Since this old thread got bumped. A little update on the system I returned to the seller. The guy received the system and told me I was full of shut and the system worked fine. I told him if that was the case then send it back or issue a refund. Now 7 months later, I still haven't received either. I can't even leave feedback on eBay because he canceled the sale or something. And he changed his phone number. Talk about an asshole.
Did you end up with another N64?

Apparently the game I was trying to use was too dirty; I cleaned the contacts on the game and it worked fine. Haven't played a cartridge game in ages and forgot to check it. I traded it to a local store along with 3 common games for $19.75 store credit. I think I'll do better putting the others on CL.

Sorry to bump this thread but I'll be picking up a 2nd hand N64 this weekend and could use some advice. Assuming the thing works, which of the ff games would you recommend I get: super mario 64, mario kart 64, starfox 64, or jet force gemini? These are the four games offered by some sellers in my area.

I don't have the money to get all of them. I figure I can get the two mario games later on virtual console, but are their N64 versions "better"? I've never had an N64 so I'm interested in which games will give me the best experience. Which ones hold up?

I really liked Star Fox 64.  I wanted to like Jet Force Gemini but I could never get into it.

I would say Star Fox and Super Mario.  

OP, did everything turn out fine with the first seller?  Return and refund?

You happen to want to sell that N64 storage case?  I know the one you're talking about...and I'm trying to track one down.  (I have one for my PS1.)

I just picked up a standard gray N64 console for $5 at a garage sale.  (Jumper Pak in it.)  I suppose I'll try and trade it for other retro stuff.

OP, did everything turn out fine with the first seller? Return and refund?

You happen to want to sell that N64 storage case? I know the one you're talking about...and I'm trying to track one down. (I have one for my PS1.)

I just picked up a standard gray N64 console for $5 at a garage sale. (Jumper Pak in it.) I suppose I'll try and trade it for other retro stuff.
Sadly I returned everything and never was refunded.

Paypal never sided with you?  What was their reasoning?  It's been a very long time since I've heard of PayPal *not* siding with a buyer.

bread's done
Back