Laptop keyboard will not work unless another keyboard is attached via usb. please help!

slowdive21

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
This is driving me crazy.

I am working on my parents Hp Laptop with Vista 64 bit.

Boots up, but the keyboard keys do not work (none of them register)

If I reboot with another keyboard connected via usb, both keyboards will work.

---

I've deleted the drivers and they automatically reinstalled.

When I check "keyboard" in control panel it says everything is working properly.

---

At first I thought it was a connection problem, but it seems like it is probably something really obvious that I am missing.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried turning it off and removing the batter for a minute than putting it back in and starting it up?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/vista-home-premium-hp-pavilion-laptop-keyboard-not-working.119984/
I'm running it without a battery straight into the wall. I'm thinking that fix works temporarily because the keyboard is under that battery, but I am not sure.

I just did another restart and now the laptop keybord isnt working, even with the usb one attached.

I'm willing to bet it is the keyboard connection inside the laptop...I'm just not sure if I want to take it apart or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running it without a battery straight into the wall. I'm thinking that fix works temporarily because the keyboard is under that battery, but I am not sure.

I just did another restart and now the laptop keybord isnt working, even with the usb one attached.

I'm willing to bet it is the keyboard connection inside the laptop...I'm just not sure if I want to take it apart or not.
probably not worth it for a machine running one of the worst operating systems ever made!

I'd check to see whether it's a hardware issue or potentially some kind of software/driver issue.

To do this, try booting into another operating system.  You can download a live CD/DVD for another operating system such as Ubuntu, burn it to a disc, and pop it into your laptop's drive.  Restart the laptop, and it should boot into the other operating system.

If the keyboard works in the other operating system, then at least you know it's not a hardware issue.  In that case, there are a few things you could try, the easiest of which would probably be to just get rid of Vista in favor of some other OS like Windows 7.

If the keyboard doesn't work in the other operating system, then it could be a deeper hardware problem and might be worth just buying a new laptop.

^ That's the best to diagnostic this.

I've taken every friend and family I know off of VISTA when I see it. Nine times out of ten it gets rid of any of the issues they were having.

Most laptops/desktops can upgrade to 7 but Windows XP (Arrggh Edition) and Linux Mint or Lubuntu run like water.

bread's done
Back