How to download games faster by using your PC

domthybomb

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
*Note - This cannot allow you to download faster than your ISP provides unless you were to download the package file at another location.*

Another good reason to do this is would be if you have a bandwidth cap at your home but do have access to unlimited internet some place else. This way you can download 95+% of the game w/o having to use your bandwidth up.

Your PC and PS4 must be on the same local network.

The program I use is PSX Download Helper. Link to the original site here.

The program is in Japanese but you can change it to English.

If you don't want to bother changing it from Japanese to English, I already created a package with English selected here.

What you wanna do is launch PSXDownloadHelper.exe and will end up with this screen.

ACBgjrb.jpg

Make note of the IP the program gives. This IP is the one given to your PC on your local network.

You then want to go on your PS4 to Settings > Network > Set up Internet Connection

You should already have either Wifi or Ethernet selected based on how you are connected.

Click again and you should be prompted with this screen.

l6734Uj.jpg

Choose Custom and then keep hitting X until you come to the Proxy Server Screen. Choose Use and under Address type the IP that was showing in the program's window from earlier as well as the port if it's different. Then in the program hit start. Back on your PS4 hit X to advance through the connection wizard and choose to test internet connection. If all was done well your connection should be successful.

Now go to your Library and choose to download the game. Right after it starts go to Notifications > Downloads and pause it. You should then have a link pop up back in the program.

haOG7gx.jpg

This link is the link to the game package. You can hit copy and then paste into a browser and start downloading it. Or if you have a bandwidth cap, you can choose to copy the link to a text file and then when you're at a place with unlimited bandwidth start the download then.

Once done you want to find the file. Usually in your downloads folder on your PC.

tH1j29W.jpg

You then will either drag the file over or choose browser in the program. I dragged it over to here.

ko1ETxR.jpg

Now you go back to your PS4 to Notifications > Downloads and unpause the file that was being downloaded. If done right you should see the file being downloaded at an insane speed as it's downloading from your PC and not the internet now.

You'll also notice in the program more log files popping up.

6AEt1W3.jpg

CT4YPx9.jpg

IMPORTANT - After you do this go back into network settings and make sure you set proxy server to "Do Not Use" Otherwise you would need to have the program running all the time to play online on your PS4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds fishy and download accelerators are bullsh- especially when most Americans have a crud connection. Look how long it took new Xbox One owners to get the patch for Halo.

Dom, this feels like advertising...
Not really, he did this to help out someone from the $20 Dying Light thread. He even posted like a couple hours ago that he was going to make a tutorial for him. Rather than pm it, he just made a thread instead.

It was for Chewbacca below you I think

Sounds fishy and download accelerators are bullsh- especially when most Americans have a crud connection. Look how long it took new Xbox One owners to get the patch for Halo.
It's not a download accelerator. It allows you to download the game from a PC as for some reason the PS4 downloads really slow. It does download faster in rest mode for some reason. It also can help with people wanting to download games if they have a bandwidth limit as they could download the package file at their work or school.

seems like a lot of work for something that should just work out of the box.  xbox/pc > sony

hasnt everyone already downloaded the 5 games worth playing on the PS4?

How do you change the language on the program.  The download provided doesn't have the language fixed.  At least not when I downloaded.  Thank OP!

Alright got the codes if anyone needs them, they are for NA (PS4) of course.

Single player:

Be a Zombie mode:

Multiplayer:

Update:

This tutorial is not complete it only shows how to download games which are less than 4 gb is size, if you want to download games such as GTAV or TLOU via a download manager to get maximum download speeds tell me and I will post the method

seems like a lot of work for something that should just work out of the box. xbox/pc > sony

hasnt everyone already downloaded the 5 games worth playing on the PS4?
Which 5 did you mean? Wolfenstein, Valiant Hearts, Outlast, Alien Isolation, Guilty Gear?

...or maybe Velocity 2x, Resident Evil HD, Child of Light, Rayman Legends, Last of Us?

...or did you just mean 5 exclusives such as Resogun, Infamous: Second Son, Infamous: First Light, Transistor, and Grim Fandango?

I thought fanboyism went out of style in 2005? All platforms have their pros and cons. For me, Playstation is a much better option than PC or Xbox.

Which 5 did you mean? Wolfenstein, Valiant Hearts, Outlast, Alien Isolation, Guilty Gear?

...or maybe Velocity 2x, Resident Evil HD, Child of Light, Rayman Legends, Last of Us?

...or did you just mean 5 exclusives such as Resogun, Infamous: Second Son, Infamous: First Light, Transistor, and Grim Fandango?

I thought fanboyism went out of style in 2005? All platforms have their pros and cons. For me, Playstation is a much better option than PC or Xbox.
so now we are calling games that are out on more than one platform exclusives? hint transistor and grim fandango are not PS4 exclusives, they are also on PC....

and its pretty funny the majority of games you have listed are not from the PS4 generation! Most are just remade for PS4....

And its kinda fitting this was your 5th post!

edit - I'm also a proud PS3, PS2, PS1 owner, I just havent found a reason to get a PS4 yet. I will get it eventually to add to my collection of systems. I'm not a fanboy just surprised that you would have to do this to get it to work faster, never had that issue with any other system I've owned.

so now we are calling games that are out on more than one platform exclusives? hint transistor and grim fandango are not PS4 exclusives, they are also on PC....

and its pretty funny the majority of games you have listed are not from the PS4 generation! Most are just remade for PS4....

And its kinda fitting this was your 5th post!

edit - I'm also a proud PS3, PS2, PS1 owner, I just havent found a reason to get a PS4 yet. I will get it eventually to add to my collection of systems. I'm not a fanboy just surprised that you would have to do this to get it to work faster, never had that issue with any other system I've owned.
You said "worth playing on the ps4". Maybe you should have specified "console exclusives".

I also have a ps3... and guess what? I re-played both Tomb Raider and Last of Us on PS4 and enjoyed them all over again. I think the lineup has been amazing for a product that has only been out a year. I'm not a snob when it comes to exclusives, remakes, or indies.... to me if a game is fun I don't care if it is out on 5 other platforms or made by a team of 2 or 2,000.

What does this being my 5th post have to do with anything? I'm here 99% of the time for the discounts, not the enlightening discussion. I've also got about 5 posts on slickdeals... pretty sure I signed up there in the '90s. ;-)

Back on topic, I honestly don't understand why people care so much about PSN download speeds. PROTIP: Stop buying games on day 1 and setup your PS4 to download automagically overnight. I've never once waited to get a game or a system update. That said, I'm 35 years old and I think the last time I actually frantically waited for a download of a game to finish, I was getting Quake 1 off of the cdrom.com FTP site on a 28.8k modem, so I digress.

You said "worth playing on the ps4". Maybe you should have specified "console exclusives".

I also have a ps3... and guess what? I re-played both Tomb Raider and Last of Us on PS4 and enjoyed them all over again. I think the lineup has been amazing for a product that has only been out a year. I'm not a snob when it comes to exclusives, remakes, or indies.... to me if a game is fun I don't care if it is out on 5 other platforms or made by a team of 2 or 2,000.

What does this being my 5th post have to do with anything? I'm here 99% of the time for the discounts, not the enlightening discussion. I've also got about 5 posts on slickdeals... pretty sure I signed up there in the '90s. ;-)

Back on topic, I honestly don't understand why people care so much about PSN download speeds. PROTIP: Stop buying games on day 1 and setup your PS4 to download automagically overnight. I've never once waited to get a game or a system update. That said, I'm 35 years old and I think the last time I actually frantically waited for a download of a game to finish, I was getting Quake 1 off of the cdrom.com FTP site on a 28.8k modem, so I digress.
I only brought up exclusives because you did....

I thought it was funny that the your 5th post has so many 5's in it...

I agree with you on the download speeds, as a person a little older than you I remember playing EQ and having to wait on 28k to download patches that took entire days to download, and when someone picked up that phone you were screwed!

You need to lighten up!

Just saying there are plenty of reasons to embrace the PS4... or at a bare minimum get PS+ and start hoarding games now if you know you are going to get one eventually.

Just saying there are plenty of reasons to embrace the PS4... or at a bare minimum get PS+ and start hoarding games now if you know you are going to get one eventually.
PS+ is nice and I have a PS3 with a hard drive full of games that I will probably never get to. Still waiting on 'my' reason to get a PS4. Perhaps there will be something I need to play that is only on it this year and a deal like the xbox one I got for 265 last fall(brand new COD AW edition from best buy).

How about you just run a wired network connection to your PS4 and end the problem all together rather than have to download something and then transfer it to your PS4.  

Wired networks > Wireless.  Go wired if you want guaranteed bandwidth. 

Hi, I have been using this method for many months now without any problem.

Last week, I downloaded the required pkg files for Journey, Borderlands Collection, Farcry 4 and Assassin's Creed 4. But today while trying to transfer the files to my PS4 using this method, I keep getting "Download failed" on my PS4 for Borderlands Collection, Farcry 4 and Assassin's Creed 4 (games are larger than 4 GB so many files are used), but Journey (the game is below 4 GB) was transferred and installed successfully without any problem.

Can anyone please using this method tell me if it's working for them now (like today or during the last days). I am thinking it is size related, but I already used this method before for large games like infamous, last of us, uncharted collection ...

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Hi, I have been using this method for many months now without any problem.

Last week, I downloaded the required pkg files for Journey, Borderlands Collection, Farcry 4 and Assassin's Creed 4. But today while trying to transfer the files to my PS4 using this method, I keep getting "Download failed" on my PS4 for Borderlands Collection, Farcry 4 and Assassin's Creed 4 (games are larger than 4 GB so many files are used), but Journey (the game is below 4 GB) was transferred and installed successfully without any problem.

Can anyone please using this method tell me if it's working for them now (like today or during the last days). I am thinking it is size related, but I already used this method before for large games like infamous, last of us, uncharted collection ...

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
dont use htis method now or you might get banned

Really ? Thanks for letting me know but where did you read that ? Can you give me a link ?
Yeah you can see about tis on Frakistan's post, he says those who downloaded online games and cheated were banned, but anyway, don't try to take risk on it. Better download it to your PS3/4 directly. I myself still didn't open GTA Online fearing. Hope sony releases an official version of it since it is useful to many of us.

This is a ton of work even though it might work if you use a download accelerator in the PC to split the file. But as someone who works for a CDN, the best advise I can give you is to use your ISP DNS servers, they'll get you to the closest CDN server, it will probably have the content and will usually be inside of your own ISP. That should speed up your downloads considerably.

I only brought up exclusives because you did....

I thought it was funny that the your 5th post has so many 5's in it...

I agree with you on the download speeds, as a person a little older than you I remember playing EQ and having to wait on 28k to download patches that took entire days to download, and when someone picked up that phone you were screwed!

You need to lighten up!
Damn, EQ on dialup, I remember those days. I thought I was about the only one in the world actually trying to play it on dialup tho. I know that makes you appreciate the hell out of your time more, since every 10 minutes without major lag or somebody needing to use the phone was its own sort of victory.

Also hilarious that an anti-fanboy post then proceeds to degenerate into fanboyism. If you haven't bought a PS4 yet, save your money. 99% of the good games are multiplat (unless you're a huge JRPG fan), and the One frequently goes for about half the price of the PS4 if you're buying used. For the record, I also have PS2,3, & 4, and I do not own a 360 or One.

More generally, I have seen slow speeds on PS4, but usually the ability to d/l in rest mode offsets that. GTA V was probably the only game I've found super frustrating because of speed though. I agree with an above poster that you'd probably be better off trying to wire your connection, but if you can't, I guess this option beats doing nothing.

bread's done
Back