CAG Maintenance/Upgrade - Now Live!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
John is going to take the site down at approximately 5AM on 1/29.  The whole thing should take around 3 hours.

When the site comes back, there will be a new front page (which still needs work) and a host of other improvements.  There will be new features and improvements added more frequently once this update hits.  We the know the last update was disastrously bad and will do our best to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Some stuff that will be available with this update (or soon after):

Site-wide

• New ajax search system with content filters and integrated collection/list support
  • Automatic style switching between mobile and responsive style
  • Typekit fonts, color changes, general CSS improvements
  • CAGcast “new!” notification in nav when a new episode is posted
  • new/better region detection code

Forums

• New post avatar area with collection/list stats, trader stats.
  • Displays the last game a user added to their “Now Playing” list in their post.
  • Changed platform tag to remove distracting colours
  • De-greened and de-purpled text in text editor
  • Hovering over a user’s user title displays additional info. (Post count, years since joined.)
  • CSS improvements to the text editor to match it to the dark style.

Front page

• Responsive mobile support
  • Members belonging to specific usergroups can supply a headline/description/image for a deal, which appears at the top of the front page in the feature area.
  • Images uploaded in the feature section are used in the recent/popular deals areas on the front page.
  • List mode for displaying features without all the images
  • Hide collection stats panel for site guests
  • “CAG now streaming on Twitch” panel

Collections, Wish Lists, and Custom Lists

• Layout improvements
    A lot of changes making it more obvious when you’re viewing another user’s list/collection, default table view, better indication when you’re editing settings for a specific entry, new navigation for switching between lists, etc.
  • Improved list filtering with keyword searching, sort ordering, additional fields.

Wiki Posts

• Wiki post content now appears as a second post instead of taking over the thread’s first post. Currently, only OP can make wikis, but that will be changed shortly.
Product Pages

• Will now list threads where the product has been tagged in posts.
  • coming soon: new user review/award system

Contests

Code Giveaways

Reviews

• Tagged threads now appear in the product sidebar
  • coming soon: importing old Shipwreck reviews
  • coming soon: new reviews home page, integrates the new user review system with stats
Price Tracker

• coming soon: working price tracker with responsive mobile support

Here are some screencaps at 1440p which will probably look shitty:

[attachment=11497:newcag3.png]

[attachment=11498:newcag2.png]

[attachment=11499:newcag1.png]

Last edited by a moderator:
How 'bout some new mod additions as well? Upgrading/fixing things is all well and good but it's all for naught if you wind up losing a good chunk of your longtime loyalists due to poor site policing. Some threads get way too out of hand and troll accounts, as well as multiple users that abuse site rules, run rampant.

Heck, I'd even be up for the job.

How 'bout some new mod additions as well? Upgrading/fixing things is all well and good but it's all for naught if you wind up losing a good chunk of your longtime loyalists due to poor site policing. Some threads get way too out of hand and troll accounts, as well as multiple users that abuse site rules, run rampant.

Heck, I'd even be up for the job.
please upload your resume. Jk. I think for this you contact cheapy by message

Looking forward to the collection/wishlist system not being borked anymore.  Thanks John and Cheapy for your hard work!

please upload your resume. Jk. I think for this you contact cheapy by message
Ha! Yeah, I tried that about a year ago... I don't even know if he ever read the message.

It's not even that I want some special source of "internet power" or anything. I've been a member of CAG for over 6 years and it genuinely saddens me to see what it has become with so much stuff running out of control in the forums. Even if I could make the smallest amount of difference or help clean things up I'd be willing to give my best go of it.

Update live, will be keeping an eye on this thread for issues.
What happened to the "What's New" link on the top of the page that allowed you to bring up recent posts across all forums? IMO that is the only efficient way to navigate the site.

Edit: Never mind; there isn't a permanent "sticky" for it at the top of the site like before but it's under the "Forums" -----> "Quick Links" drop down menu.

What happened to the "What's New" link on the top of the page that allowed you to bring up recent posts across all forums? IMO that is the only efficient way to navigate the site.
Forums menu, top right (quick links)

Forums menu, top right (quick links)
014e589af009a1b458ee234119a6c5478e52365976f85ba3590552e44f04fc81.jpg

On the mobile version (currently using iPhone 5S), is it possible to access your collection/wishlist? All I can see is the forums and the icon in the top right with the four squares does not give me the option to go to collection or wishlist.

Heading directly to the User CP on mobile still takes obnoxiously long. I get a white screen for 10-15 seconds before the page finally comes up (on an iPhone 6 - Safari).

EDIT: Looks like the dreaded double post will still continue. When you hit "post", you see the icon at the top of the screen for a few seconds, but sometimes your message doesn't pop-in. So you think it didn't actually post and you hit "post" again...only to eventually realize if you refresh the page, all your messages did go through. (That's the reason double/triple posts have been prevalent the last couple months.)

EDIT2: When I go to the Kalimba Code Giveaway page, and request a code, I see:

Oops! Something went wrong!

You've already redeemed a code from this giveaway.

I honestly don't think I've redeemed this code.

EDIT3: The "Contests" page has a bunch of old/dead contests. Maybe remove those?
Also, who were the winners of them? Did nobody win the contests that were posted? (Especially the South Park one...people bumped that for days trying to find out the winners.)

Heading directly to the User CP on mobile still takes obnoxiously long.  I get a white screen for 10-15 seconds before the page finally comes up (on an iPhone 6 - Safari).

Also

Selecting my profile (pic) in the top right just makes me sign out.....

And, it still remains that the "delete" option is still "Hide" so 75% of users still won't know how to get rid of their post...

Are you guys trying to make us who already have bad sight damage our eyes even more by trying to read this ant size text? Horrible. At least give us a font option to increase it back to regular size please.

Are you guys trying to make us who already have bad sight damage our eyes even more by trying to read this ant size text? Horrible. At least give us a font option to increase it back to regular size please.
Are you on mobile?

On the mobile version (currently using iPhone 5S), is it possible to access your collection/wishlist? All I can see is the forums and the icon in the top right with the four squares does not give me the option to go to collection or wishlist.
Press the CAG logo and you should be able to get to all the collection/wishlist stuff from there.

Added new setting: "Disable Front Page Twitter Panel".

Enjoy.
Thanks for that! A small suggestion for the "currently playing", is there a way to have it when you click on the game that someone is currently playing it brings up a list of everyone who has that as their currently playing game?

Made some changes in an attempt to improve the double posting problem. Feedback welcome if you notice any difference. (And especially if you don't.)

There was really no point to make such a drastic change to the layout unless this was supposed to be CAG 4.0.

For the sake of making this more accessible for mobile, you've basically made it worse for people who aren't using it on mobile device, which is a vast majority of people who are actually on the site most of the time.

Also, the reveal the new post button doesn't seem to be working as I just tried it several times while I typed this message.  I kept clicking it, it would disappear, seem like it would load something, and then it would pop up again to let me know there was that same new post that I can't seem to get to.

There was really no point to make such a drastic change to the layout unless this was supposed to be CAG 4.0.

For the sake of making this more accessible for mobile, you've basically made it worse for people who aren't using it on mobile device, which is a vast majority of people who are actually on the site most of the time.

Also, the reveal the new post button doesn't seem to be working as I just tried it several times while I typed this message. I kept clicking it, it would disappear, seem like it would load something, and then it would pop up again to let me know there was that same new post that I can't seem to get to.
Which non-forum areas of the site were you using a lot before which are now worse because of the responsive changes?

Thanks for that! A small suggestion for the "currently playing", is there a way to have it when you click on the game that someone is currently playing it brings up a list of everyone who has that as their currently playing game?
There is, we might do that - but once the more critical stuff is out of the way.

Wonderful job on the site, John. The mobile version is so much improved. I'll let you know if I see any lingering issues.

I noticed with the new CAG update, I have to turn up the brightness on my macbook. Did the forums get darker than before?

Which non-forum areas of the site were you using a lot before which are now worse because of the responsive changes?
I didn't use any of the non-forum areas of the site to be honest, which is why I noted I had no problem if you wanted to re-vamp those features, but was there no way to upgrade or adjust those features without making the forums look like I'm on a mobile device when I'm on my desktop?

Everything is just too damn small, and I'm on a 24" monitor, so that should really tell you that there is something wrong with this change. I'm not sure if you take into consideration of those who have poor eye sight, but I am one of those people, and it shouldn't have to be a struggle for me to see what people are posting on the forum.

I use the forum far more than I use any of the added features on the site, since I've tried them and they just weren't great for me. That also doesn't mean I don't care about upgrading the features, but why do you have to mess everything else up that are in the forum areas? Was there no way to do these upgrades on these features without tinkering around with the layout of the forums?

I am just asking because it doesn't make sense why you need to do such a large jump from one layout to the next without properly forewarning of such a change, and masquerading it under some upgrades to help mobile users have easier access to the forum, but really making a drastic change to the overall layout to the forums.

In any case, I just don't use the non-forum areas as much as others, so I don't see any improvement at all, and as I've noted numerous times above, it's probably great for those who do use the features, but you need to take into consideration for a large number of the population that do not use those features, and not spring something like this on them. Obviously you can't please everybody, but why seek to displease those who are still here, and have been here for years through the good and the bad, for the sake of trying to get new blood here that may or may not contribute as much because you want them to use the great new features that have nothing to do with post on the forums which helped to make CAG what it is today? Just doesn't make much sense to me, but that's just my opinion, so interpret it however you please.

Do me a favor Squarehard and screen cap the site and post it here.  The changes were relatively minor, and in fact, the font got slightly bigger, not smaller.

Thanks.

bread's done
Back