- - - - -

2015 Tax Time

taxes IRS april 2015

Poll: Please fill out the form.

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

How do you do your taxes?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20824 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:05 AM

Personally, I pay someone else to help me with my taxes during this time of the year, which isn't exactly cheap, but to me it's worth the time I would have to spend doing it on my own.

How does everyone else take care of their taxes?

#2 Ironman8   King CAGiversary!   1208 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:57 AM

My wife is a tax professional so she does our taxes. Pretty sweet deal. Not looking forward to tax time this year as we had to sell a rental and the wife worked more this year than she has in 10 years. The rental was great for a tax write off every year but we had a hard time with crappy renters.

#3 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30605 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:18 PM

I just file taxes myself.  I have a super simple life (9-5 job, no secondary income, standard deduction because my mortgage interest rate is so low).

#4 Wrencrest   Fuck Pharmacrest. What an asshole. CAGiversary!   18984 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:21 PM

Unless you are wealthy there really is no reason to pay someone to do your taxes.  Turbotax and those online type deals are the way to go. They make it super simple.

#5 GatorBeerGeek   President of the PSN OT Michelle Jenneke fan club CAGiversary!   8612 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

GatorBeerGeek

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:39 PM

I could do my own if I had to.  My wife's aunt happens to be a CPA and does ours for us for free though.

#6 bestkeeper14   Currently Playing Madden 16 CAGiversary!   4149 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

bestkeeper14

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:20 PM

Yupp, i file myself... unless it is super complex the online programs can walk you through step by step...

#7 Invicta 61   Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers CAGiversary!   2121 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:51 AM

I use the taxact website.  Standard deduction so it's not complicated.

I would suggest doing your return as early as possible, people stealing tax returns has become big business the past few years.

#8 theemadgamer   SILENCE! I keel you! CAGiversary!   1086 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

theemadgamer

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:16 AM

We have a tax guy, he advises us throughout the year when questions arise that could affect our taxes, and then crunches the numbers each February.  In fact he's coming over next week to gather files and discuss strategy since we had a couple of unusual events last year, including a sister's death and an estate to disposition.  I'm glad Herb is there and happy to pay him.

Oh, and they can't steal your return if you use direct deposit, do they even still issue checks?

#9 Invicta 61   Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers CAGiversary!   2121 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:16 AM

Oh, and they can't steal your return if you use direct deposit, do they even still issue checks?

Yep.

But they're not stealing the check, they're stealing the person's identity and then filing their tax return.

http://time.com/mone...ber-tax-return/

#10 Darby27   Licensed to Dill CAGiversary!   13573 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:19 AM

I do my own.  The Federales have a free file online option and Ohio has a free e-file website, so it costs me nothing. (I get back all the taxes I loaned the government anyways)

#11 tonyv4   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2315 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:32 AM

Its my first year filing taxes and I plan on using turbo tax.i feel like I've read enough to do them plus they should be simple since I'm taking the standard deduction and only other thing I need to account for is my student loan interest. Just wish I already had my w-2

#12 CheapSpeed   Alien CAGiversary!   645 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:06 PM

I always just use TurboTax. It's awesome. My girl and I had a kid this year though. Guys..I had a kid. Guess what that means? #NewTaxBracket

fowop.jpg

That's my world though. :)

#13 Dead of Knight  

Dead of Knight

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:36 PM

I'm a CPA, I do my own.

Most people can do their own.  If you're scared, use TurboTax or similar software.  Only people with very complicated taxes need a professional.  For the most part, CPAs have similar software to TurboTax that they use to do people's taxes- they just charge a hell of a markup.  We're a ripoff unless you have very complicated taxes. :)

#14 Kingrodedog   Wants to watch the world burn... CAGiversary!   381 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Kingrodedog

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:45 PM

I usually do my own with an uneasy feeling of "was that right?". If I have SERIOUS doubts after filing, I can have H & R Block look over them after the fact. This year, I got married and was going to do them myself but the numbers didn't seem right... Again...  So, we took them in and they got the exact same numbers as I did! I was relieved and I will be doing them myself next year. I just get worried every year because it has been a year since I've done them and I always think that I'm going to screw them up.

Oh yeah, screw this health insurance thing too!! I didn't get insurance until the beginning of 2015 and I was "fined" $500 and that came out of my taxes... That sucked. The wife gave me a look like "Seriously?!" Whateves, I would have paid more to my insurer in two months than the fine was. I friggin hate this must have insurance BS.

#15 Kali   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   150 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:55 PM

I'm a single parent. I actually ended up making less this year than last year (SUCKS) but as for the money I loaned the government. YAY! Gimme my monies back. mamma needs new games.  :pray:

Oh, I do them myself. I have been doing them myself in the last few years with an online tax program. It gets easier each year. And this year my state efile is FREE!!!! 

#16 Ch33pSh33p   Cheap is <3 CAGiversary!   397 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Ch33pSh33p

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:43 AM

Some of the DIY services offer a review by "professionals" for a small fee as well if you have a little more complicated issue and are concerned. Should still be cheaper than paying for it elsewhere.

#17 The Top Crusader  

The Top Crusader

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:49 PM

I've always done them myself, but I worked a lot as an independent contractor this year and have some royalties coming in from a book so I've got some 1099's and stuff so I'm kind of confused.  I could probably write a lot of stuff off as expenses but I was dumb and didn't really keep receipts and stuff.  I think I'm gonna see what I can do myself this weekend then if I think I have it really screwed up take it somewhere.

#18 Darby27   Licensed to Dill CAGiversary!   13573 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:00 AM

So I filed Fed and State through TurboTax last Sunday... they sent me an email today entitled "Your biggest refund is waiting" - come do your taxes!

#19 DragonClaw   Splendiferous CAGiversary!   140 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:30 AM

The tax preparer industry is a racket. We live in an age with powerful, user friendly tax programs like Turbo Tax that walk the user step by step through their tax return. There is no reason to pay a tax accountant  $200/hr and give large bundles of sensitive information when you can achieve the same results yourself in under a hour. One of the biggest myths told to the public is the fact that they can't do taxes themselves. What is so complicated? Most tax returns are as simple as entering the income off your W2 and 1099s, claiming your dependents(if applicable) and taking a standard deduction. If you have a home, you will probably itemize by entering home mortgage interest, real estate taxes and state/local taxes paid last year. Its virtually the same process every year.

#20 ShirtSizeXXXLXT   Fluffernutter 4LIFE CAGiversary!   194 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

ShirtSizeXXXLXT

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:56 AM

I used to do my own with Turbo Tax for probably the past 10 years.  It is free to file the Federal taxes, but I have to pay to file the State taxes.  It costs the same amount to have this local tax guy do them for us, and he is much more organized than I am anyway. 

Being just married within the past year and a half, and now having a house for a full year, no kids yet, should I still have my deductions at Single with 0 dependants?  Or should my wife and I change this up?

#21 Darby27   Licensed to Dill CAGiversary!   13573 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:51 PM

"Your tax refund is scheduled to be sent to your bank by February 10, 2015."

Booyah!

#22 Dead of Knight  

Dead of Knight

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:01 PM

The tax preparer industry is a racket. We live in an age with powerful, user friendly tax programs like Turbo Tax that walk the user step by step through their tax return. There is no reason to pay a tax accountant  $200/hr and give large bundles of sensitive information when you can achieve the same results yourself in under a hour. One of the biggest myths told to the public is the fact that they can't do taxes themselves. What is so complicated? Most tax returns are as simple as entering the income off your W2 and 1099s, claiming your dependents(if applicable) and taking a standard deduction. If you have a home, you will probably itemize by entering home mortgage interest, real estate taxes and state/local taxes paid last year. Its virtually the same process every year.

This, hell, probably 90% of taxpayers don't even need to use TurboTax.  The IRS has pretty clear instructions for the 1040.

#23 Chadt74   CAGoholic CAGiversary!   302 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:17 PM

So may people do not understand taxes or the preparation.  Like everyone is saying most people only feel out a 1040EZ or 1040.  I try and explain to people that if you pay someone $300 to do your taxes normally and next year do them yourself for say $40 you can be off by $260 and still break even (yes there is some time and effort).  But for most people like DragonClaw said you are basically entering the numbers from your W-2 and/or a few 1099s and boom done.  Wish more people understood this especially when I hear excuses like missing deductions that they would never get such as work related expenses etc that have an AGI limit and you would never have used.

#24 ThatOneGuyWho   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6290 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

ThatOneGuyWho

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:45 PM

I do my taxes myself. Was considering paying someone to do it for me but since I do my own finances for myself and my business, I decided to do it myself.

Sucks since I end up getting more tax information that I didn't expect after I filed my taxes. Can't amend it since it hasn't processed. Might see if I can add it to my taxes for next year since it'll only give me $20 or so.

#25 TooMuchCoolness   Deep Ass Gamer CAGiversary!   1147 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

TooMuchCoolness

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:57 PM

Do I have to file for income tax if I only made $3,727.21 from Amazon Mechanical Turk last year? I live in Illinois.

#26 Darby27   Licensed to Dill CAGiversary!   13573 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:40 AM

Do I have to file for income tax if I only made $3,727.21 from Amazon Mechanical Turk last year? I live in Illinois.

What is Amazon Mechanical Turk?

The online limit is $20,000 AND 200 transactions.

#27 TooMuchCoolness   Deep Ass Gamer CAGiversary!   1147 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

TooMuchCoolness

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:38 PM

What is Amazon Mechanical Turk?

The online limit is $20,000 AND 200 transactions.

Amazon Mechanical Turk is a marketplace for work that requires human intelligence. The Mechanical Turk service gives businesses access to a diverse, on-demand, scalable workforce and gives Workers a selection of thousands of tasks to complete whenever it's convenient.

Amazon Mechanical Turk is based on the idea that there are still many things that human beings can do much more effectively than computers, such as identifying objects in a photo or video, performing data de-duplication, transcribing audio recordings, or researching data details. Traditionally, tasks like this have been accomplished by hiring a large temporary workforce (which is time consuming, expensive, and difficult to scale) or have gone undone.

#28 Chadt74   CAGoholic CAGiversary!   302 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:30 PM

"Do I have to file for income tax if I only made $3,727.21 from Amazon Mechanical Turk last year? I live in Illinois."

See who has to file Table 1-1 to 1-3  it depends on a few things (not sure about your state tax) but based on your age most likely not.  Also check and see if you had taxes withheld, if  you did have taxes withheld you should file to recover your taxes.  

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf

#29 msriflegirl   All your base... CAGiversary!   454 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

msriflegirl

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:01 AM

This was the first year that I haven't done my own taxes since I started earning enough to have to file.  The wife and I purchased a house and I got a promotion last year that moved us into a new tax bracket.  When I did them myself, the numbers didnt seem right so we went to a professional.  Good thing I did, cause her result was better than mine.  I do taxes for a few family members (mostly very straightforward...one income, no home ownership, standard deductions, etc.) and stick to either H&R Block or Tax Act.  Both are super easy to use.

#30 thoseAREmySHOES   High Octane User CAGiversary!   21 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

thoseAREmySHOES

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:35 AM

I do them myself. myfreetaxes.com, despite having a shady sounding site, works perfectly. It's basically the H&R block basic program subsidized by Wal Mart. It's completely free if you make less than $60k.