Retron 5 Problems with Genesis Games

Marbles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Ok, I've had the Retron 5 since release.

Last night I decided to sit down and play through the entire Contra Hard Corps.

When I started up the system I was at save state midway through the 2nd stage.

However, when I started from the beginning.. the game crashes everytime I get midway through the 2nd stage (Save the lab route)
The game freezes, and crashes to the OS.

This freeze and crashing to the OS has now spread to 2 other games.. Turtles Hyperstone Heist and Castlevania Bloodlines

The funny thing is, they ALL worked before the newest 2.2 patch

The Retron5 is an Android emulation device, and the company making it got in trouble for using code without permission. 

Anyway, you probably should go to the actual forums to get a solution, or try to downgrade the firmware.

best option is just to run the games on your PC for free!

For real, you should check to make sure its supported. No genesis contra games are on this list I found of supported games. Castlevania Bloodlines is but Turtles Hyperstone Heist is not.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tn3xCad0cVguOzw81367Tfg/htmlview
The the problem is, they all worked fine.. I was able to beat them all the way through the day before I posted this.

Now they are crashing regularly and I wonder if there is a special chip in them causing problems.

I have the original cartridge, and not always fond of emulation.

The Retron5 is an Android emulation device, and the company making it got in trouble for using code without permission.

Anyway, you probably should go to the actual forums to get a solution, or try to downgrade the firmware.
I contacted them when the error happened, but no reply via email and was told I'd get a call back.

Capacitors are easy to replace, and that's what I did with my units with quality parts. Sound problems are related to capacitors, but for most people sound is fine.

Besides, you have some rare games, and yet you play them on an emulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Capacitors are easy to replace, and that's what I did with my units with quality parts. Sound problems are related to capacitors, but for most people sound is fine.

Besides, you have some rare games, and yet you play them on an emulator.
I only have HDTV though, which would probably run RCA Cables fine..

Just worried.. I just wanted a good system with a good sound.. also rather broke at the moment

I also have some rare NES and SNES

Which is why I decided to use the Retron 5 since the less SNES Console didn't work when I got it back from my parents after college.

I did what Hyperkin told me, those games are still crashing at the more graphic intense parts.
I am curious if it is the game, or the console.. since I DID beat them Wednesday night before 2.2

We found a V2 Genesis in the house (With the CRT TV)

This Genesis works amazing, and we were able to play through BOTH games without a problem.. unlike with Retron.

Also the game seems to be running faster with more animation.
Explain that.

We found a V2 Genesis in the house (With the CRT TV)
This Genesis works amazing, and we were able to play through BOTH games without a problem.. unlike with Retron.

Also the game seems to be running faster with more animation.
Explain that.
Prolly due to the retron using emulation. Emulation still has issues and nothing beats the real deal.

So I just hooked up my Retron up for the first time 3 days ago. I'm having trouble updating it. Every time I start the update it runs for awhile then says it fails. Also it seems it has a hard time reading the SD card. I have to insert the SD card multiple times before it will even ask if I want to update.

Figured I'd just post in here, since you guys seem to have some knowledge of the retron, instead of making a new topic.

So I just hooked up my Retron up for the first time 3 days ago. I'm having trouble updating it. Every time I start the update it runs for awhile then says it fails. Also it seems it has a hard time reading the SD card. I have to insert the SD card multiple times before it will even ask if I want to update.

Figured I'd just post in here, since you guys seem to have some knowledge of the retron, instead of making a new topic.
Sounds like a bad SD Card. What I did with mine was put the sd card into my retron 5. Choose the write update option to generate a file. You then upload this file to the retron's website and it will download the update you need. put that on the root of your card turn off the retron 5 and turn it back on with the card already inserted. it will tell you it has found a update. The update should only take like a minute

Sounds like a bad SD Card. What I did with mine was put the sd card into my retron 5. Choose the write update option to generate a file. You then upload this file to the retron's website and it will download the update you need. put that on the root of your card turn off the retron 5 and turn it back on with the card already inserted. it will tell you it has found a update. The update should only take like a minute
Yea I was using a generic SDcard. I spent 2 nights trying to get this working lol. After I tried a different card it took 5 minutes. I was pissed, but happy my Retron wasn't fucked up. It has been working great since.

Yea I was using a generic SDcard. I spent 2 nights trying to get this working lol. After I tried a different card it took 5 minutes. I was pissed, but happy my Retron wasn't fucked up. It has been working great since.
If you have the latest update you can apply romhacks/translations to your carts. I love being able to play my japanese copy of Chrono Trigger in english. It only cost me $6

If you have the latest update you can apply romhacks/translations to your carts. I love being able to play my japanese copy of Chrono Trigger in english. It only cost me $6
One of my friends would be interested with the Translations, where can you find these? Is there a website with a bunch or is it pretty random?

One of my friends would be interested with the Translations, where can you find these? Is there a website with a bunch or is it pretty random?
I google'd all of mine. Sadly the only one I've been able to get working is for Fire Emblem Gaiden on NES. None of the patches for my Fire Emblem games on Super Famicom work on the Retron. Same with two other SF games I have.

As for the OP's issue, I've never had any issues with the Genesis on my Retron and I'm on the latest patch. I had a launch Retron until the pins in the NES slot got bent and they exchanged it. My newer one has worked fine ever since.

I google'd all of mine. Sadly the only one I've been able to get working is for Fire Emblem Gaiden on NES. None of the patches for my Fire Emblem games on Super Famicom work on the Retron. Same with two other SF games I have.

As for the OP's issue, I've never had any issues with the Genesis on my Retron and I'm on the latest patch. I had a launch Retron until the pins in the NES slot got bent and they exchanged it. My newer one has worked fine ever since.
Friend found a site called RomHacking and it had alot of the translations he was looking for.

Ok, I've had the Retron 5 since release.

Last night I decided to sit down and play through the entire Contra Hard Corps.

When I started up the system I was at save state midway through the 2nd stage.

However, when I started from the beginning.. the game crashes everytime I get midway through the 2nd stage (Save the lab route)
The game freezes, and crashes to the OS.

This freeze and crashing to the OS has now spread to 2 other games.. Turtles Hyperstone Heist and Castlevania Bloodlines

The funny thing is, they ALL worked before the newest 2.2 patch
The Retcon 5 is using software emulation rather than hardware emulation to handle the Sega Genesis games. I'm willing to bet that they had to alter some of the emulation software when it was discovered that they had stolen some/most of the code.

The Retcon 5 is using software emulation rather than hardware emulation to handle the Sega Genesis games. I'm willing to bet that they had to alter some of the emulation software when it was discovered that they had stolen some/most of the code.
Off topic, your avatar really makes me wish they would've included Stanley as a playable character is SSB. I voted for him to be added as DLC in that poll they put out a couple weeks ago, but I'm guessing I'm in the minority. :wall:

On topic......

So um..... I was playing my Retron 5 over the weekend.

I did a marathon of every Turtles game I owned over 3 sittings.

I learned the NES Portion of my Retron 5 no longer works, and I've tried everything I can think of to fix it.
I tried different cartridges, reinstalling the OS, updating the OS to the beta drivers.. nothing.. it just doesn't detect NES games.

That really sucks, but that's one of the reasons why I won't spend a great deal of money on anything from Hyperkin. Their stuff isn't the greatest quality and tends to break down. For NES games, I would look into getting an AV Famicom with a Famicom to NES adapter. I freaking love my AV Famicom, but just be careful about what power supply you use. The American NES power bricks kill AV Famicoms. 

That really sucks, but that's one of the reasons why I won't spend a great deal of money on anything from Hyperkin. Their stuff isn't the greatest quality and tends to break down. For NES games, I would look into getting an AV Famicom with a Famicom to NES adapter. I freaking love my AV Famicom, but just be careful about what power supply you use. The American NES power bricks kill AV Famicoms.
I just need to make sure everything is streamable is all

You can use a video capture device with original hardware if you use some Y-Adapters, but I don't know if it would be appropriate for live streaming. There will be a few seconds delay from the action on your TV and the broadcast. 

bread's done
Back