Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

Gden

CAGiversary!
Feedback
73 (100%)
So, I thought I should make a topic about this game.  Anyone else super stoked about this game coming out?  I loved Kirby Canvas Curse for the DS, and I know this game is going to be awesome!  I'm glad that Best buy finally got off their butts and changed the price to $39.99.

I loved Canvas Curse too. There's a sealed copy of Epic Yarn sitting on my shelf that I'm not sure if I want to touch yet, but this new game has my eye.

Isn't this game supposed to have amiibo support? 'Cause, like, Meta Knight is gonna be all like hard to find and stuff, and Dedede preorders are scarce. Eugh I just worry about the amount of content that might be lost from the narrow amiibo market, you know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Amiibos only unlock powers, Kirby allows you to star dash constantly, Dedede doubles your health, and Meta dork doubles your attack strength.  Though, honestly, I'm more excited about Wooly World.  Also, as others have said, I hope these games are a show of hopes for lower-priced 1st party titles.  Don't get me wrong, though, the 1st party nintendo titles I've paid $60 for I haven't regretted (mario kart, smash, wonderful 101, mario world, yes, technically, I paid $48 for mario kart (the 4 times I bought it), and smash)

That's it?! Eugh. Thanks for saving me the money and stress.

I'm excited about Wooly World too--maybe it'll breathe some new air into the franchise. Kirby, on the other hand, I can't help but wonder what Nintendo's expecting out of it if they've already set that price.

You shouldn't be basing how good a game is on its price.  Toad was $40, and it's a great game.  I think price has more to do with how much content it has.  Toad was worth $40, but for the amount of content, it definitely wouldn't have been worth $60, or even $50.

Regardless of the lame amiibo support, I still want meta knight and king dedede amiibo, and its looking like it may pretty hard since i missed their pre orders.

I am hoping that they will have extra amiibo to go around since this is the first game released this year to support figures.

You shouldn't be basing how good a game is on its price. Toad was $40, and it's a great game. I think price has more to do with how much content it has. Toad was worth $40, but for the amount of content, it definitely wouldn't have been worth $60, or even $50.
I got about 20 hours worth of fun out of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker I would have gladly paid $60 for it. One of my favorite games of 2014.

Well one good side effect of the Wii U generation is that when the game is priced at $40, you can safely go ahead and buy it near close to launch and not feel burned later on with price drops.  The fact remains is that stock on newer Wii U titles (those released in 2014 and beyond that are not Smash and MK 8) is moderate to low, that most retailers have no excess stock to clear out, and thus the price is held strong (even moreso than evergreen Mario titles on previous Nintendo consoles).

I mean look at Wii Sports Club, small print run, price never dipped below $30, and now its hard to find new copies anywhere.  Games like Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad and NES Remix Pack may also be in the same boat come late 2015.

So in short, the $40 starting price for games like this great for CAGers who usually have to practice self control, so splurge with impunity!

I am hating Nintendo this year.

$40 is another reason.

Now I have less of an excuse to not pick up some stuff.

...yes I pre-ordered Kirby, it looks super fun.

Actually Nintendo may have me holding off on a PS4 for a couple more years, I didn't realize how fun the WiiU was, but I guess it was like my Wii in 2007.

Ugh.

I've put off:

Captain Toad

NES Remix Wii U/3DS

Yoshi Amiibo (I hate Amiibo but I love that damn dino)

and preordering this.

My cart in BB is $150 for all of this.  Yikes.  Where is the Buy 2 get 1 and stuff now!?  Ugh.  Time to see what gift cards I have left.

edit: Well on the bright side, I wasn't signed in.  GCU brought it to $120 and I had $40 in Giftcards from the MS Store extravaganza.  So $80 for everything!

I really liked Canvas Curse on the DS. I plan to pick this up at Best Buy with GCU assuming they aren't sold out by Saturday since I'll be too busy with work tomorrow to pick it up before close. I'm looking forward to playing this and checking out the awesome claymation style graphics too.

Amazing!  Best Buy had release date delivery for me.  AND I'm in Hawaii.  Normally I'm waiting up to two weeks after launch unless I pay for expedited.  So pumped for this game.

Three worlds into Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and it's pretty disappointing so far. I'm sure most of you who are interested in the game know this from reviews so far but the fact that the game is designed where you are just staring at the controller screen and not at the tv is lame. So as good as the game looks in screenshots and videos just realize you are never going to see that because you are going to be looking at the low res version on the gamepad. The base controlling of Kirby is also not very fun especially once you start getting to the more challenging levels. It's annoying when you have a lot of chaos on the screen and you're fighting just trying to get Kirby to head in the right direction. 

On the positive end the clay artstyle is still nice to look at and I really enjoyed the one level so far where you turned into a tank. But this is a huge drop down from the awesomeness of Captain Toad and Kirby's Epic Yarn blows this game away.

Three worlds into Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and it's pretty disappointing so far. I'm sure most of you who are interested in the game know this from reviews so far but the fact that the game is designed where you are just staring at the controller screen and not at the tv is lame. So as good as the game looks in screenshots and videos just realize you are never going to see that because you are going to be looking at the low res version on the gamepad. The base controlling of Kirby is also not very fun especially once you start getting to the more challenging levels. It's annoying when you have a lot of chaos on the screen and you're fighting just trying to get Kirby to head in the right direction.

On the positive end the clay artstyle is still nice to look at and I really enjoyed the one level so far where you turned into a tank. But this is a huge drop down from the awesomeness of Captain Toad and Kirby's Epic Yarn blows this game away.
What's up with your text being highlighted in white?

Anyway aside from that, I picked up Rainbow Curse yesterday and have only played a few levels thus far, but I am enjoying the game quite a bit. It's just like Canvas Curse and yeah I wish I was looking at my TV screen more often, but I expected to be looking at the gamepad to play this game, so I am not surprised by this at all. Certainly not the best Kirby game or the best game on the Wii U, but it's a solid game and a bit of a challenge for a Kirby title.

On a side note, I still need to pick up a copy of Captain Toad and I wish they would release Epic Yarn on the eShop. I never got a chance to play Epic Yarn because it came out after I had long gotten rid of my Wii, but it always looked very good.

I didn't read any reviews going into this game because they tend to skew your experience of it. I mean it's a Nintendo Kirby game; how bad could it be?

I did the preorder from Toys R' Us because they offered a free Kirby Amiibo with it and I didn't have one so, sure! Played a couple of levels and they were pretty good. Seemed like the game had a bit of a learning curve but it was getting a bit easier. Then I had a chance to play with someone else which made the ramping difficulty a bit more tolerable. You can't find the Meta Knight or Dedede Amiibos because paranoid collectors in the other thread are warming their butts with them, and upon scanning the Kirby one it doesn't even explain what happened, he was just holding a star.  ....ok...cool? (Apparently it lets you star dash at any time. For one level or forever????)

After having played 3-4 hours of it it's hard to not say I'm a bit disappointing. The controls are frustrating; the hold to use your powerup is confusing and not explained, and this same mechanic also gets in the way much of the time while you're just trying to move forward. Accidentally rest your palm on the screen while you're trying to draw your road and the game assumes that, yes, you definitely meant to veer off and turn your road into the scribble of a two year-old in the corner -.-

Yeah you're not looking at the tv which is also annoying but other players would be so, meh. The hardest part seemed to be keeping Kirby's momentum. To even get the road under him you have to draw a slope in front of him out of the ground, which just isn't intuitive. Why does he bounce OFF of the round end of the road and not just roll onto it? Simple things that could have made it much more fun.

I've gotta give it more time to see if there are more techniques to be found that make it easier but it seems like the on-screen chaos will increase which will make keeping track of Kirby's location all the more frantic. I bet this might be more fun with 4 players, but you would also think the same of New Mario Bros. so who knows.

Overall, not all that bad.

Yarn > Dreamland by a mile.
Not to derail the thread but I enjoyed Dreamland moreso than Yarn. Yarn was awesome for the first half of it, but after that realized I wasn't going to see anything much different, and getting 100% with the neighbor mini games became an absolute chore. The art style was great, but unfortunately the music seemed neutered to me in contrast, could of been much more upbeat and catchy to complement the theme.

What kept KRtDL interesting for me were what always interests me on Kirby games, which were the copy abilities and how well fleshed out they were. Groundbreaking it was not, but I just had more fun playing the game when all was said and done.

Highly disappointed in 2 things... First - I opened the game, without the intention of playing it just yet.. Second - no club nintendo points (which is why I opened it..) 

I am exactly 1 game away from platinum (have hit every year) and now, I have to resort to buying an older N game, just to platinum, which is a disappointment, since I've purchased all the N games that rated high, and I wanted without question. 

Just so everyone ELSE knows (which I didn't) there was/is a cutoff of games released after maybe 01/22/15 I think, that will no longer contain CN points. 

Normally, I leave my games sealed until I get to them, in case I wanted to sell or something. Not anyone else's but mine "fault", but I think if this was displayed on the front page of CN, I wouldn't of doled out the $32 for this game right away. 

I had a blast from start to finish.

amiibo support is fun but fair. Reviews said they "broke" the game but I disagree. You can only use one of each per day. Super Mario Bros. 3 had P-wings and those were fun; same concept here.

The game offers a healthy challenge if going for 100% but made easier if played in multiplayer. The story was kind of short but I enjoyed going back and finding secrets.

With the exception of litepink's post, I can't believe what I'm reading here.  This game was utterly fantastic from beginning to end, and just as compelling as Canvas Curse ten years ago.  Epic Yarn offered zero challenge at all, while this game ramps it up by the fourth world.  The boss fights were all really well done, and the soundtrack - my god, the soundtrack is so good.  The vehicle levels changed up the strategy and the early enemy encounters trained you well for the latter parts of the stages.  I especially enjoyed the battleship levels where you map out your route ahead of time.  This game is a steal at $40, and even better if you can get it at Best Buy for $32 with GCU.

Not sure what Nintendo was thinking when they designed this entire game to force players to use the low-rez 6" gamepad to play the game, spoiling the ability to play it on the actual TV screen. The colors and environments look fantastic, but you're forced to use the touch pad and can't even enjoy it on the big screen, or use any buttons or analog sticks? Unbelievably bad decisions on Nintendo's part, they basically ruined the game.

Not sure what Nintendo was thinking when they designed this entire game to force players to use the low-rez 6" gamepad to play the game, spoiling the ability to play it on the actual TV screen. The colors and environments look fantastic, but you're forced to use the touch pad and can't even enjoy it on the big screen, or use any buttons or analog sticks? Unbelievably bad decisions on Nintendo's part, they basically ruined the game.
Seemed better suited for the 3DS in that respect. I will still buy it soon.

Ruined the game? I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. It's ever so slightly disappointing that you are stricken to looking at the gamepad for single player, but the gameplay, music, and controls are fantastic enough that it overcomes this slight shortcoming. It's still has a wonderful visual appeal and all the charm flows through your gamepad just as well. As for the controls it is completely fluid using the stylus. I wouldn't have minded being able to hit one of the L buttons to activate a power-up but otherwise the controls are fantastic.

I loved this game so much that I played through it 100% on three save files:

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:25352]

Ruined the game? I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. It's ever so slightly disappointing that you are stricken to looking at the gamepad for single player, but the gameplay, music, and controls are fantastic enough that it overcomes this slight shortcoming. It's still has a wonderful visual appeal and all the charm flows through your gamepad just as well. As for the controls it is completely fluid using the stylus. I wouldn't have minded being able to hit one of the L buttons to activate a power-up but otherwise the controls are fantastic.

I loved this game so much that I played through it 100% on three save files:
Really? Really?! Dam, fricken' dedication there. All the collectibles? No way I'd have the patience lol, good that you liked it so much.

bread's done
Back