Should Cannabis be Legalized?

Lunacye

CAGiversary!
Either on a state or federal level, do you think it should be legal?

The debate is escalating across the nation as more states legalize medicinal forms of marijuana, limited access to CBD, as well as the recreational use of cannabis for all adults over 21. This year, as well as many years to come, will see cannabis legalization as a popular stance for politicians to project during campaigns (like gay marriage, abortion, tax reforms, etc).

It's undeniable presence begs the question, does a human being have the right to use cannabis?

I suspect you'll find little resistance to this topic here. Be it those who like to toke, those who look at the freedom aspect, those who look at the free market aspect, and those who look at the current incarnation aspect, I don't feel there's many here who are concerned about the morality/religious argument.

For the popular opinion around here: yes, and it should be taxed like cigarettes and alcohol.

Now, to get unpopular: The marijuana, cigarettes, and alcohol taxes should all be 0%.

Humans have the right to put whatever they choose in their bodies, not just things that are deemed acceptable by the majority of people living in a given area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Legalize it ALL.

I mean heroin, cocaine, PCP, Meth, pot, all of it. Make it so you can go to your local store of choice, and buy all you want.

It would provide more revenue and all of the users could get a good, clean hit, and not have to worry about getting robbed in the process.

http://www.publicintegrity.org/2015/06/18/17469/political-profiteers-push-ohios-pot-vote

Weed as a monopoly. In Ohio, they're trying to push this as a ballot measure, but it would only benefit the lobbyists that wanted the measure in the first place, not so much everybody else and the businesses that could be opened from the legalization. Money in politics. How American.
The most amusing part is that the measure our statehouse is trying to pass to block this is called "Joint Resolution 4"

THC Oil cures cancer in the blood, they need to legalize it and begin implementing other forms of cures with it as well.

I used to have bad asthma, but haven't had an issue breathing in the 10+ years since I began smoking. I have a card and I honestly can't remember the last day I didn't have at least 1 bowl. Some years now.

Anyway, I eat like an irresponsible 12 year old and should have type whatever is the most severe diabetes by now but every time I go to the Doc he tells me I'm healthy as a horse. I don't even know what's inside a gym.

God's medicine brothers and sisters :)

THC Oil cures cancer in the blood, they need to legalize it and begin implementing other forms of cures with it as well.

I used to have bad asthma, but haven't had an issue breathing in the 10+ years since I began smoking. I have a card and I honestly can't remember the last day I didn't have at least 1 bowl. Some years now.

Anyway, I eat like an irresponsible 12 year old and should have type whatever is the most severe diabetes by now but every time I go to the Doc he tells me I'm healthy as a horse. I don't even know what's inside a gym.

God's medicine brothers and sisters :)
While I am all about legalization of all drugs, I have a hard time believing that smoking can cure asthma. I need to research that a bit more.

It's proven that smoking Marijuana induces a productive cough that helps loosen congestion in the lungs. Every day my first bowl is followed by a lot of coughing and a lot of mucus coughed up into a tissue. After that I breathe easy for the remainder of the day despite really bad allergies in an area that is full of pollen.

Basically if it wasn't for that first bowl I'd need albuterol. I know this because on days when I've had to travel and can't bring it with me on a plane, I suck down an inhailer like it's giving me Crack money.

Now, to get unpopular: The marijuana, cigarettes, and alcohol taxes should all be 0%.
So, what, pray tell, are we to fund our government (and government services) with?

What tax(es?) do you find acceptable? Property, income, capital gains, sales?

Funny you mention taxing salable goods at 0%. Most of you libertarians (who are just closet conservative plutocrat bootlickers in disguise, paying homage to social liberalism, and never voting for those items or doing anything to further their causes) typically GUSH at the idea of an enormous sales tax. What's that regressive Neal Boortz horseshit idea? the "FairTax"? Funny that the centerpiece of modern lunatic Randians in disguise is now a tax even those folks would argue against.

So, what, pray tell, are we to fund our government (and government services) with?

Funny you mention taxing salable goods at 0%. Most of you libertarians (who are just closet conservative plutocrat bootlickers in disguise, paying homage to social liberalism, and never voting for those items or doing anything to further their causes) typically GUSH at the idea of an enormous sales tax. What's that regressive Neal Boortz horseshit idea? the "FairTax"? Funny that the centerpiece of modern lunatic Randians in disguise is now a tax even those folks would argue against.
You can't fund the same size government that exists today with a dramatically lessened tax base without significant consequence. Technically, it could be done. However, the amount of borrowing and printing that would be required to finance such an operation would result in a banana republic in short order.

I don't support any of the taxes you mentioned.

If those who profess to be libertarian are moving away from government interference in voluntary exchange, that's a wonderful occurrence. It also means they're moving towards a more consistently libertarian position.

Did I stutter?

You can tell me what taxes you're against until you're blue in the face. Why don't you try to tell me a tax you actually support?

Did I stutter?

You can tell me what taxes you're against until you're blue in the face. Why don't you try to tell me a tax you actually support?
I don't support taxes, so the only thing I'd be able to do in such a discussion is tell you which ones I oppose.

Fair enough. I mean, your response is evidence of how utterly useless Libertarianism is to *build* or *maintain* civilization.

That said, I respect that you're willing to directly say what you think instead of hiding behind some bluster. (see also: why people who say "all lives matter" instead of "black lives matter" really mean "shut up and take it, black people".)

Frankly I find the fact I have to pay sales tax on groceries utterly bullshit.  Eating isn't a choice, it's what you need to live ffs.

On the weed note, we need it legalized just so Hemp gets legalized as a side note.  Hemp will be the great tool to help build the new Green economy.  Most bugs hate Hemp so you don't need to spray pesticides as much(too bad, so sorry Monsanto, fuck off).  I mean Hemp is like the perfect human crop.  How many animals will actually eat Hemp besides humans?

If you're paying sales tax on groceries, your state is doing it wrong or has done so in a way that would impact the poors (cause you gotta nickle and dime them). If by groceries, you mean cooked food, obviously that's a sales tax.

What really makes me sad is that grass has been legal for millions of years. It is only in recent times that is was made illegal. Pharmacists dispensed it up until 1930s. It needs to be relegalized asap

For the popular opinion around here: yes, and it should be taxed like cigarettes and alcohol.

Humans have the right to put whatever they choose in their bodies, not just things that are deemed acceptable by the majority of people living in a given area.
Coughinsurancepoolexclusioncough

The only problem I have with legalization is exposure.  I personally don't care to get contact highs or be around it, period.  So long as it was banned from public use, much in the way cigarettes are then I am ok with it.  I would very much want laws that govern it in the way tobacco is for being sold to minors and food labeling for consumer awareness (may contain cannabis, et al).  Just as long as my right to not be exposed to it is protected, then I really have no issue legalizing/regulating it.

I used to have a theory of a generation of potsmokers. Like if waay more people and young adults smoked weed and it was accepted as legal. Where we'd be. I think a decline in production would be seen and I used to be a huge legalization advocate. But then from my personal experience I developed extreme depression and lethargy at a young age. Never learned to be happy sober. I don't know. I guess most people aren't retarded like me to value weed over life itself. It could be the addictive personality in me.

There's a meme somewhere but it always amuses me that the kids I went to high school with, who struggled mightily with their school work and are now full blown stoners, can't have an intelligent conversation about anything yet when the issue of medical marijuana or marijuana in general comes up (i.e. growing and breeding) they magically become full blown scientists. 

But if alcohol is legal I don't see the harm in legalizing marijuana, as long as it's regulated (ex: no driving when you're high). I'm sure it's the conservative in me, but I'm not very fond of the idea of people who are collecting welfare benefits being able to smoke in their free time, but then again I'm not really fond of them getting government benefits and engaging in any negative habit forming behaviors (cigarettes, smoking, gambling, etc.)

Also find it comical that we have the typical "don't bail the government out" or "don't bail businesses out" but yet we let humans do all kinds of shitty things to their own bodies and when they can't afford medical treatment........... what do we do?

Saw this damn old thread and it made me smile. Well, they legalized the weed. How is it now? I don't see any signs of Apocalypse, lol. Moreover, it helped me to solve some of my problems. I have bad spinal pains after surgery and the doctor told me to use medical marijuana. Usually I buy this stuff from Brooklyn, NY Medical Marijuana Delivery Service. This stuff doesn't make me high. It just relieves the pain. Also, after a good joint I can take a nice, deep nap.

bread's done
Back