GF wants a xbox, and I need your advice!

phrozenthedruid

CAGiversary!
So my gf is thinking about getting an xbox, for the sole purpose of the dancing games/fitness with the kinect. Myself, being a huge gamer, is telling her to just go with the xbox1, since its the newest, it has a blu ray player, and I can use it when I'm at her place since I also have one.

Someone told her to just go with a 360 if thats all she wants it for, so now she is thinking about just getting a 360, but thats ridiculous to me. 

What can I tell her to convince her to go with the one, and if she does, whats the best way to go about getting one for a decent price without dropping $500 for a brand new one in stores that come with kinect? 

Sounds like the only reason you want her to get an Xbox One is so you can use it. That's ridiculous and all she needs is a Xbox 360. That's a huge investment just to play dancing and fitness games.

Sounds like the only reason you want her to get an Xbox One is so you can use it. That's ridiculous and all she needs is a Xbox 360. That's a huge investment just to play dancing and fitness games.
I would definitely use it, but I was thinking why not since it has a blu ray player as well (she doesn't have anything to play movies), and I'm hoping I can make her into a gamer haha. The 360 will be out of date in a few years anyways.

360 is the better choice.
She can buy a bluray player for 100 if she really needs one later. If she decides to play games 360 has a better/bigger/cheaper library than 1 at the moment.
it's for her not you.

maybe she'd like a wii.

360 is the better choice.
She can buy a bluray player for 100 if she really needs one later. If she decides to play games 360 has a better/bigger/cheaper library than 1 at the moment.
it's for her not you.

maybe she'd like a wii.
So what you're saying is I should just let her use my 360 that I have sitting in my closet that I almost completely forgot about? haha

Fuhhh that's tough, I have abandonment issues.

I would definitely use it, but I was thinking why not since it has a blu ray player as well (she doesn't have anything to play movies), and I'm hoping I can make her into a gamer haha. The 360 will be out of date in a few years anyways.
This guy, here.

Your reasons for wanting her to get a One are selfish. If she wants a 360 for Kinect/fitness/dancing games, you should encourage her to get what SHE wants. It sounds like you're trying to tell her how to spend her money on something you intend to use. If YOU choose to buy/give her a console, that's different.

If you want her to start gaming, there's no reason it can't be done on a 360.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never understood why guys want to turn their gf/wife onto gaming. If they're already a gamer that's fine, but why can't it be your hobby and leave it at that.

Don't let her invest in a XboxOne. What if she doesn't stick with? It reminds me of the Wii Fit boom where everyone ran out and got one then stopped using it after 2 weeks. My wife still has one and she wont let me sell it. The thing hasn't been used in years.

Just let her borrow your 360 for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never understood why guys want to turn their gf/wife onto gaming. If they're already a gamer that's fine, but why can't it be your hobby and leave it at that.
Pretty much this.

When I buy a new console, I get like the Mario Party or Mario Kart game, since my wife will play those.

When she wants to play, I make the time for her, but I don't ever count on her setting foot inside the man cave, especially for gaming.

So my gf is thinking about getting an xbox, for the sole purpose of the dancing games/fitness with the kinect. Myself, being a huge gamer, is telling her to just go with the xbox1, since its the newest, it has a blu ray player, and I can use it when I'm at her place since I also have one.

Someone told her to just go with a 360 if thats all she wants it for, so now she is thinking about just getting a 360, but thats ridiculous to me.

What can I tell her to convince her to go with the one, and if she does, whats the best way to go about getting one for a decent price without dropping $500 for a brand new one in stores that come with kinect?

Well xbone is being sold without the kinect now because no one wants it and no games support it barely. 360 has 20x the amount of fitness and dancing games on it that cost 1/5 the price.

YOU being a big gamer, key word being you. Sounds like you want the xbone for yourself, not for her.

If you want a blu ray player you can buy a brand new one, a 360 and half a dozen games for less than the xbone alone costs.

Youre wanting advice on how to convince her? Again, youre obviously just wanting her to get one so you can play it. Doesnt sound like you give a shit about what she wants, or what she actually needs.

If all she wants is fitness and dancing then graphics dont matter, nor do the best and newest games.

I say go for the Xbox One! The Kinect works a lot better and the system is new and will continue to get new games released for it. The 360 is cheaper and certainly has fitness and dancing games, but most of them don't work very well due to the limitations of the original Kinect. If you are trying to turn your girlfriend into a gamer the Xbox 360 will likely bore her quickly when she realizes that she is playing a console that is barely getting any note worthy releases. The Xbox 360 is also not that much cheaper than the Xbox One right now. I think you'd both be happier with the Xbone. 

Don't let her invest in a XboxOne. What if she doesn't stick with? It reminds me of the Wii Fit boom where everyone ran out and got one then stopped using it after 2 weeks. My wife still has one and she wont let me sell it. The thing hasn't been used in years.

Just let her borrow your 360 for a few weeks and see how it goes.
Yes, Yes, Yes. Seriously, Rodimus is right on the money. Let her borrow your 360 since your aren't using it right now anyway and let her get a feel for the dancing/fitness games and see if it's something she even *likes*. She can pick up a few of these type games used on the cheap and not be in for a huge investment. I know several non-gamer friends that bought the Wii for this purpose as well and none of them stuck with it once the novelty wore off. And after awhile if it's something she loves, then she can buy her own 360 and know that it was money well spent.

Girlfriend's got an Xbox, Phrozen never sleeps at night!

(Yes, it's corny! Come on, whaddaya gonna do, take away the ONE star in my profile?)

Er, anyway. I say get the 360 if you've got the cash to spare. The One has a relatively small library and probably isn't going to be helpful in a fitness routine. 360s are what, $100 used? Maybe less if you know where to look.

Why make her get a more expensive One when you're probably gonna break up in a year? Just let her get a 360 or give her yours, mango.

Everyone's already said it, but stop being selfish.  Let her get what she wants.  For half the price of a XB1 she could get a good used 360 and more dance fitness games that any one person needs.  Making her spend $500 on a system and then $60 on each game will just push her away from feeling it is worth it.  She could get a gym membership for less than that.  Maybe you should tell her that.  

Also, she's just your GF so unless you put a ring on it and get married, I tend to feel you really shouldn't have input in how she's spending her money.  

Damn, y'all crushed OPs wishes. He was hoping you guys would do him a favor, but you all ruined it for him, and he doesn't even respond anymore haha. Quick, somebody get more salt!

Like others said, if you have a 360 you can loan her, why not give her that, buy a few dancing and exercise games used, and she how much she actually uses them.  If she really plays them frequently and seems like it's worth her time, that's when you should consider which system would be ideal.

But to spend hundreds of dollars on something she might not even use in a month is just not a great plan.

Yeah well this thread should be locked right because yeah he already got his answer.
The answer is that the OP isn't getting any since he's trying to buy a XB1 for his girlfriend when he's the one who wants it.

See the "buy Wilma Filntstone a bowling ball for a present" scenario.

Well, Dance Central is only 3$ on cdkeys website. I've confirmed the site is legit too. And then there's Xbox Fitness which is free.

I would use those in your evil scheme to get an Xbox One for yourself. lol jk.

Cheers!

bread's done
Back