CAGcast #395: Ship x Bat

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Ship is AWOL but Cheapy and Wombat talk Joystiq closing, Darkest Dungeon, Apotheon, PS4 Wifi issues, Activision, Early Access, and so much more!
Download (1 hour 9 minutes) - iTunes - Stitcher - RSS
https://audioboom.com/boos/2868386-cagcast-395-ship-x-bat

Get $5 off your order (with free shipping) at http://www.harrys.com with coupon code cagcast

Grab the free CAGcast app for iOS and Android! 

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Outro

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
19 minutes in so far and purely negative. Shitting on every topic. Why even have this show anymore? Cheapy has made his buck and he's just coasting as long as possible to pad that Scroogs McDuck room as much as he can. Kill off the podcast, it's time is up. Either that or pay some people who actually play and care about games to do it for you. Weak titty all around.

Cheapy, if it the Barcade in Brooklyn? That place is great. Nearby I can also recommend the Alligator Lounge, where you get a free brick oven bar pizza with every drink ordered.

Obama here. I uh....just wanted to let you folks know what an honor it is to Michelle, Sasha, Malia and I that you would read my uh...topic...on the CAGcast. It was a great service to this country.

In all seriousness, what Wombat said on amiibo was correct, BUT the rabbit hole goes even deeper.

It's not just that certain ones are rarer than others, Nintendo isn't even shipping certain amiibo uniformly. Some Toys 'R Uses may have gotten 4 Lucario, some may have NONE. Now with the advent of retailer exclusive amiibo [Lucario exclusive to Toys R Us, Rosalina to Target, Meta Knight to Best Buy, etc.], and with multiple exclusives being launched on the same weekend, there's practically no way to get them all without paying scalpers. And OH BOY are people scalping, sometimes for as much as 10x retail price. And because many "rares" are being discontinued after the first shipment, you either import or buy into a craigslist scheme. I preordered a Shulk (Xenoblade guy), and my preorder from December just got cancelled because apparently Gamestop overbooked preorders.

Why is all of this happening? Because of how awful Nintendo is handling the United States market. Even Canada has been getting rare amiibo before and in larger quantities than the U.S.

This is what an amiibo retailer looks like in:

Switzerland: http://i.imgur.com/YyR6ZNP.jpg

Germany: http://i.imgur.com/rea9z7g.jpg

It's insulting. The New 3DS launch is being botched in the U.S., the Skull Kid Limited Edition MM3D game presale was botched, and amiibo shortage is being ignored by Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't know how to handle North America, pure and simple.

tl;dr here are the problems with amiibo:

- The U.S. is getting SUBSTANTIALLY less amiibo in general than every other country

- The U.S. is getting SUBSTANTIALLY less rare amiibo than every other country

- The U.S. is the ONLY country with store exclusive amiibo, whereas everywhere else any amiibo can be bought at any store

- Stores aren't implementing "one per customer" policies

- People are scalping for 10x MSRP on Amazon/Craigslist

- Due to "limited supply," many U.S. stores are cancelling preorders, forcing people to scramble on launch day to find some

- Nintendo is doing nothing to stop scalpers

- Except for Marth, Nintendo hasn't even ADDRESSED the shortage in the U.S.

Doesn't understand networking, blames PS4 for his interference issues... classic
I understand every other device in the house works fine except the PS4. I understand Verizon support was surprised PS4 didn't support 5Ghz. I understand that many other people bought a powerline kit because the PS4 is the only device in their house that shits the bed on wifi.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-content-search/results/ref=cm_cr_dp_srch?query=PS4&search-alias=community-reviews&idx.asin=B00AWRUICG

19 minutes in so far and purely negative. Shitting on every topic. Why even have this show anymore? Cheapy has made his buck and he's just coasting as long as possible to pad that Scroogs McDuck room as much as he can. Kill off the podcast, it's time is up. Either that or pay some people who actually play and care about games to do it for you. Weak titty all around.
I have somehow missed the part where you are tied up in a basement and forced to listen to this show.

I have not listed yet, but as far as PS4 wifi issues. Yeah here in the UK I can not use my PS4 on wifi. Has to be over ethernet.

And @majornelson just tweeted no podcast again this week.

Where's the Windows Phone app????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Cheapy, give your PS4 a static IP address in your router settings and then the PS4 settings and it'll fix your wifi issues. PM me a gift card to thank me.

Not a bad show but as always, it feels like something is missing without one of the cast members. 

When Cheapy was gone, it felt the same way but inviting a guest on the one show did make things a little better. A shame diarrhea is unexpected (lol). And on that note, will the CAGCast ever have guests again - even when everyone is there?

Not a bad show but as always, it feels like something is missing without one of the cast members.

When Cheapy was gone, it felt the same way but inviting a guest on the one show did make things a little better. A shame diarrhea is unexpected (lol). And on that note, will the CAGCast ever have guests again - even when everyone is there?
That would be cool. Can I be on the show? I'll even take the day off. :D/

It is really strange that Nintendo continues the Amiibo scarcity months after launch. I mean, what do they think this is? Comic Books in the 1990s? Do they really want EVERYBODY to buy these toys, or just the kids? Who actually reads comic books these day? Children? Ha, I doubt the CagCast team would even allow their kids to read most of the new content that's out there these days.

CheapyD, you might as well buy one of those outlet Ethernet things if the plugs are connected in your house. There's nothing you can do about crappy Wifi anyway.

That would be cool. Can I be on the show? I'll even take the day off. :D/
Having CAG's call in would be cool but then I think it would too much like the IGN podcasts or whatever. What I meant was, have guys in the industry or game journalism guys come on the show as they talk about them a lot.

Having CAG's call in would be cool but then I think it would too much like the IGN podcasts or whatever. What I meant was, have guys in the industry or game journalism guys come on the show as they talk about them a lot.
Or barring that a livecast were we can use a chat room. I would not want to see thier faces though if they did that. Radio personas look dorky doing thier show in video format. Susposally Howard Stern turned off a good portion of his video viewers when people could see his facial expressions at the mean spirited things he was saying to people on his radio show.

Wombat, I get bloody noses all the damn time, too. Although not so much in recent years since I'm practically a shut-in now. Unlike you, though, I actually hated when I would get one during school. Going to the nurse's office for a bloody nose just always seemed so unnecessary. If I could feel one coming on I'd try to go to the bathroom before it started and just wait it out over a sink. Most of the time, though, I'd just inhale very quickly repeatedly to stop anything from dripping out of my nose without leaving.

Man, it really makes me feel like a loser trying to describe this. It wasn't that bad at the time, I swear.

I generally have zero issues with my PS4 downloading.  I don't really know what the problem is...I rarely need something downloading RIGHT AWAY (also I admit some people might).  I buy stuff via the web and just send it to my download que.  Most stuff is ready in a few hours (or sooner). I don't have time to sit there and watch it download. It's always online and always connects.

But 2.4 interference is a big deal (as is time of day).   Comcast just upgraded my internet speed and sent a new modem. I was running some tests...5ghz doubles my speed over 2.4

Here's the LED lights I mentioned in this episode:

http://www.amazon.com/Backlighting-Complete-Remote-Change-Installation/dp/B00FBQ4K2M/

The 41-60" was perfect for my 65" TV.

51Y9rBr8G0L.jpg

It is really strange that Nintendo continues the Amiibo scarcity months after launch. I mean, what do they think this is? Comic Books in the 1990s? Do they really want EVERYBODY to buy these toys, or just the kids? Who actually reads comic books these day? Children? Ha, I doubt the CagCast team would even allow their kids to read most of the new content that's out there these days.
Whenever I'm browsing video game sections or stores I never see kids looking through the Amiibo. It's always 20-30 year olds, both men and women. The kids are always at the Skylanders and Disney Infinity displays.

Hopefully the lights will give your PS4 better wifi. :lol:

Whenever I'm browsing video game sections or stores I never see kids looking through the Amiibo. It's always 20-30 year olds, both men and women. The kids are always at the Skylanders and Disney Infinity displays.
I don't browse around stores during normal hours but the day after Christmas while waiting in Gamestop, I think I saw one kid stare at them and nobody else in the 30+ person line even looked at them. In every other store I see them at they are full of the common ones. My wal mart is always hit hard because they always have like 1 kirby, 1 peach, and maybe a diddy kong. Someone must love amiibos in my town.

Here's the LED lights I mentioned in this episode:
http://www.amazon.com/Backlighting-Complete-Remote-Change-Installation/dp/B00FBQ4K2M/

The 41-60" was perfect for my 65" TV.
LEDs behind a TV? Seems like it would distract from your viewing pleasure. Also looks like your TV will be the next contestant in The Fast & The Furious.

Anyway, I'm a new listener and started with the best of 2014 lists. I was a bit surprised by Forza Horizon 2 being at the top of the lists, maybe because I wasn't impressed by Forza 5. Probably because racing around a track is as fun as watching Nascar. But with your recommendations, I picked up the digital deluxe edition of FH2 and am addicted. 2 days in (9 hours play time) and I'm level 40+. I'm obsessed at getting all of those xp boards, 1 left to go. Hate and love you guys.

Wombat, I hope you get your alone day soon.  The benefits of those things can not be exaggerated.

Also, how about a youtube video for slow cooking recipes?  I'm a cheap ass with my time and find myself spending way too much of it after work making dinner.  Help me help myself!

LEDs behind a TV? Seems like it would distract from your viewing pleasure. Also looks like your TV will be the next contestant in The Fast & The Furious.
No, it does the opposite. Ambient lighting reduces the eye strain of looking at the TV in a semi-dark or dark room. I went the cheapo route and just used about a foot of leftover strip LEDs I had laying around, bought an extra power adapter for $10, and plugged it into my receiver's switched outlet. It's awesome. Even if I'd had to buy a full strip, it would've only added like $8 to the cost.

Also, to add to the PS4 wifi hate, it's terrible in my house too. Everything else gets acceptable speed and range, but the PS4 can't even connect half the time. I just wired it and it works 100% now. It's not just a NYC/saturation problem, it's a "we bought the cheapest, crappiest wifi adapter we could find that doesn't even support 5Ghz" Sony problem. I was actually shocked when I upgraded to 5Ghz in my house and found out the PS4 doesn't support it.

In regards to PS4 wifi -

2.4GHz wifi only has 3 non-overlapping channels. Meaning for every 2.4GHz wifi signal you see in your building, there is a 1 in 3 chance that they are on the same channel as you. The more crowded a channel, the more contention and therefore poor performance. Additionally 2.4GHz is very touchy with interference. If there is a microwave running near your router you connection will go to shit. Baby Monitors, cordless phones, etc will all play a factor

5GHz wifi has 23 non-overlapping channels. So there is a 1 in 23 chance your wireless network is on the same channel as someone else's. It also avoids most of the interference issues apparent with 2.4GHz. 

Unfortunately the PS4 doesn't support 5GHz wifi. It probably doesn't have anything to do with the PS4 (except that they left out a 5Ghz radio...why?!), instead it is most likely an inherent 2.4GHz wifi problem. If it is an issue with the PS4's adapter, they should be able to patch things up with a driver update. I'd bet the next PS4 hardware rev features a 5GHz card.

Also, thanks for the LED link, going to pick those up!

1. Change the channel your 2.4ghz is running on.
2. Assign PS4 a static IP address.

Glad I didn't buy a PS4. Xbox One rules on the 5GHz band.

Jurassic Park the movie made "a few changes" to the plot of the book? Outside of the beginning, most of the rest of the book is different outside of the core elements of the story and that's why I enjoy both the book and movie a great deal. I came to the book about 20 years later, so I didn't have the pretense of what the original story was and was able to enjoy the unique aspects of what its story had.

I haven't had any troubles with my Wi-Fi on my PS4 so far. It's as fast as my other consoles.

When did Cheapy get Driveclub? I recall that he was taking a moral stance to not pay for the game because of the bad launch, so I'm confused as to how he acquired it.

1. Change the channel your 2.4ghz is running on.
2. Assign PS4 a static IP address.

Glad I didn't buy a PS4. Xbox One rules on the 5GHz band.
You said that earlier in this same thread.

When did Cheapy get Driveclub? I recall that he was taking a moral stance to not pay for the game because of the bad launch, so I'm confused as to how he acquired it.
If I remember correctly he said he got it from gamefly.

54 bucks to put some LEDs behind your monitor, really?? It's not outrageous but come on, there's gotta be a cheaper way to do that lol. Especially after Cheapy's unenthused reaction to it, sounds like some people are just dropping money because they have too much to know what to do with. "Man, my fancy new apartment in New York is so miserable." First world problems yo.

And to the person that mentioned it, yeah these last 6 mo. or so seems like the show follows a downhill pattern. Yeah these games came out, Nintendo still sucks, I liked this game, and Wombat invents reasons for Cheapy's questions. Still enjoy listening to it for some reason xD

I hadn't heard of those powerline adapters before, and was also disappointed in my PS4's speed.  Grabbed the ones linked to, and saw the speed go up 20x.  People complaining about Cheapy being negative should bear in mind that he did describe a problem and a solution, not just bitching.  

That said, I was amused to hear he would be on DLC last week, thinking before I even listened that it would be an amusing contrast to have him talking to the perpetually upbeat Jeff Cannata.

It's disappointing to hear about the ps4 WiFi issues. My ps3 has the same issues on WiFi. Its great when wired but so slow on WiFi.

It's disappointing to hear about the ps4 WiFi issues. My ps3 has the same issues on WiFi. Its great when wired but so slow on WiFi.
To add to earlier comments about earlier comments on the 2.4 ghz spectrum, metal and water are also good at disrupting signal. I took a class on doing site surveys and they had a good story about putting AP's in an empty warehouse and then when they filled it full of canned dog food nobody could get a signal. Watch for metal in walls as a signal blocker, or in the case of newer apartments they may be using metal wall studs. Also i have seen people who have really nice metal cabinets for structured cabling jam their wireless router inside of it.

An additional thing to think about it the orientation of the antennas on your router. The venerable Linksys WRT54g used to have external rubber duck antennas that you could orient, but most devices now have internal antennas. Depending on how the router sits or if you wall mounted it, it may be limiting signal. The higher end the router, the more likely it has additional and/or divergent antennas.

Another quality cagcast, surprised you didn't mention Monty Oum's passing though since that was pretty big news. Or maybe you did and I have poor listening comprehension. 

I've always done wired connections for my gaming consoles and I think it's the only way to go. I even bought an adapter for my Wii and Wii U.

I've always done wired connections for my gaming consoles and I think it's the only way to go. I even bought an adapter for my Wii and Wii U.
For the Wii/Wii U that is the way to go. I had so many issues with the Wii U on my WiFi, especially with that day 1 update. Bad memories.

bread's done
Back