1TB or Higher HDD for PS3

SOLDIER

CAGiversary!
Feedback
91 (100%)
I want to get a good deal on a compatible hard drive for my PS3, which currently has a 500GB hard drive but has ended up too packed for all the PS+ games added.

The thing is, I haven't been able to get a straight answer on what the max size hard drive a PS3 can use: some say up to 1TB, some say 1.5 or even 2TB. No matter how much I Google or ask I haven't been able to get a straight answer.

So to play it safe, I would like a deal on a 1TB hard drive at least.

Check out Best Buy, Amazon, eBay, Newegg, Staples, and Office Depot/Office Max as they're good about having sales on 1TB HDDs. I picked up a Toshiba 1TB HDD for my PS3 a few weeks ago on sale for $50 at Best Buy. Needed it to replace the 160GB HDD that was installed because I had quickly run out of space from downloading games that were on sale.

The HDD I bought is $75 regular price so waiting for a sale would be ideal. I don't know of any good sales right now so I'll keep an eye out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Newegg has an email list you can subscribe too and you'll receive promo codes and updates on sales. As said above Newegg is a great place for hard drives.

I'm pretty sure as long as it's no bigger then a 2.5" (SATA) internal then it could be 1, 1.5 or even 2 TB's as long as it is not over a 2.5" as that's the biggest the HDD caddy will hold.

As far as brands go, mentioned above Toshiba is great along with Western Digital and Seagate.

Here's a Western Digital that has good customer reviews -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B005DVJJWQ/s=sd/ref=mw_dp_cr

Tiger Direct is also another site to check for good deals on hard drives and other PC related deals.

The PS3 will take any 2.5" hard drive that is 9.5mm or thinner. The largest capacity drive you can install in a PS3 that fits those specs is a 2TB Samsung (Seagate) Spinpoint 5400RPM hard drive. I have that drive in my PS4 and when it goes back on sale for $99.99 or cheaper, I'll be getting one to replace the 1TB drive currently in my PS3.

Newegg link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178627
from what i recall hearing its 1.5 tb max for the PS3 - as in there are controller problems

from what i recall hearing its 1.5 tb max for the PS3 - as in there are controller problems
Info is a bit spotty on that point, though some of the Google searches I found that aren't from back in the day when people were using SATA extension cables to use 3.5" drives, it does look like the PS3 doesn't know what to do with a 2TB drive and fails the format. 1.5TB seems to work from the little info I found for confirmations of that point, though 2TB does seem to be a fail for everyone that's tried.

Don't get the best buy western digital they are outdated models that freeze your ps4 get a WD red from Amazon

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back