* * * - - 80 votes

amiibo Deals and Discussion Thread

amiibo nintendo wii u 3ds smash bros

#37321 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6664 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:26 AM

The first thing I am going to do once I complete my collection is to unfollow this thread.

#37322 EvilSena  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:39 AM

The first thing I am going to do once I complete my collection is to unfollow this thread.

Lol. Which one are you missing? 

#37323 Pokechaos480   Banned Banned   3685 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Pokechaos480

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:43 AM

Just join the wechat group. It has zero of the bullshit this thread has and faster alerts to restocks.

#37324 ray2dee   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1670 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:23 AM

I can't wait... Every group, every thread... Too bad that won't be for a while, now that we got the smash ballot done

#37325 SgtWiggles   Artist formally known as dgwillia CAGiversary!   11445 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:37 AM

I can't wait... Every group, every thread... Too bad that won't be for a while, now that we got the smash ballot done

I want to get off Mr Sakurai's wild ride

#37326 wadafruck  

wadafruck

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:29 AM

Talked to an employee at the Pasadena, CA Best Buy and they should be getting around 40 Little Macs and over 70 Marths. I didn't check but maybe others as well. Should there tomorrow or Wednesday.

Damn... ill check it out after work tomo. i wanted to call the montebello one too.

#37327 ken9   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   406 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:39 AM

Talked to an employee at the Pasadena, CA Best Buy and they should be getting around 40 Little Macs and over 70 Marths. I didn't check but maybe others as well. Should there tomorrow or Wednesday.

Nooooo I'm gonna be in SD until Thurs night ;_; hoping they still have a couple leftover by then...

#37328 ray2dee   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1670 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:48 AM

I want to get off Mr Sakurai's wild ride

I'll stay in the park forever but ya I'm ready to get off this ride, speaking of rides..... Wtf is going on with Disneyland and those prices gees

#37329 Rohman   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   100 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:56 AM

Lots of stores got stock I'd say go in within the next day or two if you're in CA at least 25+ of the non store exclusive ones and a crapload of marth. For the love of my warehouse buy them lol

#37330 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   5549 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:09 AM

I would love to see a 3 pack with Kirby, Meta Knight, and King Dedede.  Also, a 3 pack with Lucina, Robin, and Marth.

Edit:  4 pack Ganondorf, Zero Suit Samus, Classic Mario, and Olimar is available on Gamestop's website if it hasn't been said already.

Is this 4 pack just 4 separate amiibos or is it like the Splatoon 3 pack and the Retro 3 pack?

#37331 Inque  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:25 AM

I would love to see a 3 pack with Kirby, Meta Knight, and King Dedede.  Also, a 3 pack with Lucina, Robin, and Marth.

Edit:  4 pack Ganondorf, Zero Suit Samus, Classic Mario, and Olimar is available on Gamestop's website if it hasn't been said already.

Is this 4 pack just 4 separate amiibos or is it like the Splatoon 3 pack and the Retro 3 pack?

They are single packs just sold as a group.

#37332 domoniccc  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:10 PM

I would love to see a pack off all the Amiibo together in one shot. One long box pls

#37333 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14185 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:23 PM

I hope I'm either able to get to Best Buy for this supposed Marth restock (at some point), or, the extra supply basically makes him the same price online.  (I live 65 miles round trip from the nearest Best Buy...)

#37334 ThatOneGuyWho   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6881 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

ThatOneGuyWho

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:38 PM

The financial model for these collectible toys is all messed up, and I'm sad to keep seeing it happen to almost anything collectible. Scalpers are making too much money that should be going to Nintendo or the respective property owner. (Your ambivalence isn't even shocking :dunce: ).

The money is going to Nintendo regardless of if a reseller, scalper, your mom, you, etc buys it. Nintendo (as well as many other companies) do this same model for high demand items. An item is released in limited supply at first to promote it's fake rarity. Than that item magically comes in stock (is produced more) and more people buy it. Which is exactly what is going on right now with amiibo's. You really think Nintendo is losing money, my ass.

#37335 GizmoGC   I love Cheese CAGiversary!   12413 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:12 PM

Wii Fit Trainer is a poor example, considering how many other Amiibo's are "rare" - plus, what's your explanation for the shelf-warming DK's, Diddy's, Yoshi's, Luigi's, Mario's... (I could go on)? Huh?  :-P They're much more popular than Wii Fit Trainer, aren't they? Don't the popular characters matter more? (You picked out Wii Fit Trainer to mock me, though).

I'm super glad you enjoy stalking stores, finding truck delivery info, talking to 2-3 employees for relevant info, gathering forum intelligence, and getting to a store before openin - then running up to the Amiibo pegs, and checking out before your local scalper fills his cart, in the desperate hope that all of your pre-planning wasn't a total waste of time... the majority of us do NOT enjoy this. (You already knew that, but I guess your implication is that these are easy enough to get for people who deserve them? :rofl: )

The financial model for these collectible toys is all messed up, and I'm sad to keep seeing it happen to almost anything collectible. Scalpers are making too much money that should be going to Nintendo or the respective property owner. (Your ambivalence isn't even shocking :dunce: ).

Those are called "ever green" characters. Nintendo specifically makes more of them because they are well known characters that appeal to consumers who don't even play Amiibo-focused games. Sure, they at times can over estimate demand for a character, but they print more because they have statistics that show they will sell. Villager is not a huge character. Fox' last game wasn't a hit on the 3DS so why print a ton? Little Mac is from what, 2 games? All the other apparent "rare" figures are niche characters. Store exclusives bank Nintendo serious money, so if you don't like that, oh well.

I don't waste much time getting retailer info. I don't talk to employees and I don't travel for toys. I'm an adult - I will pre-order at home or simply wait till I find them. I do go to Targets on 'opening day' just because I am already there getting coffee - but I don't go out of my way to get a $13 toy. I couldn't find Modern Mario at Target and...it popped up on Amazon later that day. I've since seen him multiple times during normal shopping visits. No stalking required.

Nintendo is making exactly what they are asking - $13 MSRP. If someone sells a toy for $25 that is not hurting Nintendo in any way. Idiots will buy stuff at a markup because they are lazy or they think something is "rare". I sell stuff all the time at a markup. Many people here do as well, you guys just don't consider it "scalping".

Again, a $13 toy. If you get so angry about the situation you need to re-think your priorities. Nintendo just re-printed a ton of figures most of which will be peg warmers now that they are not "rare". The bubble has burst, it's over.

#37336 afroman787   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   36 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

afroman787

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:13 PM

Nothing at my best buys

#37337 domoniccc  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:17 PM

Nothing at my best buys

Report them.

#37338 redreflect   I am the Wolf CAGiversary!   1465 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

redreflect

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:20 PM

Nothing at my best buys

Employees are the hoarders. Mystery solved!

#37339 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:08 PM

Called my Best Buy and their trucks come in today and the stuff does not go out on shelves until tomorrow. Looks like I will be waiting until tomorrow.. womp womp womp

#37340 pwnedkiller   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   118 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

pwnedkiller

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:13 PM

Anyone have sku's for Shulk and Little Mac at BB?

Guest_rcerboss_*

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:21 PM

Wii Fit Trainer is a poor example, considering how many other Amiibo's are "rare" - plus, what's your explanation for the shelf-warming DK's, Diddy's, Yoshi's, Luigi's, Mario's... (I could go on)? Huh?  :-P They're much more popular than Wii Fit Trainer, aren't they? Don't the popular characters matter more? (You picked out Wii Fit Trainer to mock me, though).

I'm super glad you enjoy stalking stores, finding truck delivery info, talking to 2-3 employees for relevant info, gathering forum intelligence, and getting to a store before openin - then running up to the Amiibo pegs, and checking out before your local scalper fills his cart, in the desperate hope that all of your pre-planning wasn't a total waste of time... the majority of us do NOT enjoy this. (You already knew that, but I guess your implication is that these are easy enough to get for people who deserve them? :rofl: )

I doubt anyone will argue WFT is more recognizable than Mario or Luigi, but Yoshi and the DK's?  I don't know, but it's entirely possible.  Hasn't Wii Fit had more sales than any recent DK game?  I'd also argue she's certainly more iconic than the generic Fire Emblem swordsmen, Shulk, Fox, Samus, ect.... I'd even argue she's more recognizable than Link as far as the average person is concerned.  It's hard to understate the impact Wii Fit had on not just the industry but modern culture in general.

FWIW Wii Fit Trainer was the only one I bought at launch.  I always intended to get them all eventually if I was satisfied with the quality and gameplay that WFT provided..... but I picked her first because she was my favorite.  Not just out of the amiibo released but every character in the game.

I should have realized then when I had to drive all over town to find her what I was getting into.  sigh.  Nintendo shit is never worth collecting..... just too much work.

I guess the point is WFT is hardly a poor example, she has her fair share of fans out there.  Plenty of people started gaming with Wii Fit, and she's certainly had more/better exposure since her debut than some of the SSB roster.  In short, WFT is a big deal  :)

#37342 Very Unclever   Pine cone liquor, for chuggin' CAGiversary!   160 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Very Unclever

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:34 PM

Friend stopped into our local BB this morning.  Nothing is out.  No spaces out on the floor for them either.

#37343 maximumzero   Seriously, quit it. CAGiversary!   4139 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

maximumzero

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:57 PM

Friend stopped into our local BB this morning.  Nothing is out.  No spaces out on the floor for them either.

Glad I didn't waste my time stopping then.

#37344 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9127 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 04:16 PM

I do go to Targets on 'opening day' just because I am already there getting coffee - but I don't go out of my way to get a $13 toy.

hehehe this made me giggle.

#37345 psunami   0118999881999119725.....3 CAGiversary!   3588 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:15 PM

I was able to pick up a Shulk in Duluth, GA today.  That made me happy since Gamestop screwed up my order twice for it.  

#37346 afroman787   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   36 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

afroman787

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:16 PM

I was able to pick up a Shulk in Duluth, GA today. That made me happy since Gamestop screwed up my order twice for it.

Did they have Marth or dark pit?

#37347 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2003 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:20 PM

That was a worthwhile trip: got Little Mac, Captain Falcon, Fox, and Marth at BB. They had maybe a half dozen of each. The employee also said they had some Greninjas in the back, but they couldn't put them on the shelves until the TRU exclusivity ran out, which he believes is either Friday or next Tuesday. No word on Lucario, Dark Pit, or Shulk, though.

I stopped by TRU just for shits and giggles, and they had the same four I bought, but in much greater quantities, plus an entire column full of Greninjas. There were empty single racks for Shulk and Lucario. 

If anyone knows the date TRU loses the exculsivity for Greninja (and perhaps other exclusives), that would be very useful information.  

#37348 wadafruck  

wadafruck

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:26 PM

That was a worthwhile trip: got Little Mac, Captain Falcon, Fox, and Marth at BB. They had maybe a half dozen of each. The employee also said they had some Greninjas in the back, but they couldn't put them on the shelves until the TRU exclusivity ran out, which he believes is either Friday or next Tuesday. No word on Lucario, Dark Pit, or Shulk, though.

I stopped by TRU just for shits and giggles, and they had the same four I bought, but in much greater quantities, plus an entire column full of Greninjas. There were empty single racks for Shulk and Lucario. 

If anyone knows the date TRU loses the exculsivity for Greninja (and perhaps other exclusives), that would be very useful information.  

Which BB did you go to?

#37349 FunkyDawg   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   527 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:26 PM

Walked into my best buy. At least 60+ Marths in various places in the gaming area. A good amount of Little Macs, Captain Falcons, Lucario, Shulk were there as well. Also had a few splatoon 3 packs! 

#37350 AvengedBacklog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   13144 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

AvengedBacklog

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:27 PM

Anyone see what NH Best Buys look like today? Have not had any luck calling.