Best Buy Huge Studio Ghibli Blu-Ray/DVD Combo + DVD Sale!

thelaughingmann

CAGiversary!
Peeked at the ad this morning, here's the lot:

$20 Blu/DVD Combos:

Porco Russo

Pom Poko

Tales from Earthsea

Whisper of the Heart

The Wind Rises

Princess Mononoke

Kiki's Delivery Service

Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind (Not Advertised; Found via Blu-Ray.com)

Arrietty (Same)

Ponyo (Same)

My Neighbor Totoro (Found via Bestbuy.com search)

Howl's Moving Castle (Same)

**Castle in the Sky is available on Blu/DVD, but is still priced at $27.99**

**Spirited Away isn't available on Blu/DVD here yet? Really, Disney?**

$17 DVDs:

Spirited Away

Howl's Moving Castle

Castle in the Sky

My Neighbor Totoro

**VARIOUS OTHERS ARE RANGING FROM $15-18 BUT NOT LISTING CAUSE SEARCH WOULD TAKE TOO LONG**

Consider that these are being handled by Disney for localization here. And to see the Blu/DVD combos for these classic flicks hit $20 or less hasn't happened a whole lot as of yet.

My recommendations: Nausicaa, Mononoke, and Totoro. Howl's is a personal favorite, but the three I list are the true gems of the sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be partaking in this sale. I may also try to get a price adjustment on Porco Rosso I bought not even 2 weeks ago. I don't normally do that kind of thing, but it just burns my ass that it just came out then *boom* sale.

They should have done this the week 3 Ghibli films came out instead of weeks later...

Still thankful that it's happening, my local store had most of these.

Update:

Totoro is also available on Blu for $20, same for Howl's Moving Castle. OP is updated.

I recommend Nausicaa, Mononoke, and Totoro.

I'm still waiting on these movies to be available for sign up with Disney Movie Club.  Whenever I call in and try to order them I'm told they're not available yet.

I've never done a price adjustment either, but having just purchased the three latest Ghibli films and Saints Row IV PS4 last week (which both are a lower price this week), I'd like to do it. How does one go about doing a price adjustment? Do the items have to still be sealed, or do I just bring my receipt? 

EDIT : Nevermind. I just remembered I purchased the Ghiblis at Wal-Mart, not Best Buy. I did buy Satints Row at Best Buy, though. 

This is where being a member of the disney movie club is a better deal you can get them buy one at reg price next 50% off, if you were to buy all of them, it avgs about 14.50 per movie.

This is where being a member of the disney movie club is a better deal you can get them buy one at reg price next 50% off, if you were to buy all of them, it avgs about 14.50 per movie.
O:) That is why this sale exists. For those of us who don't want to deal with the DMC.

to each their own, but its paid for itself and then some since I have been a member. between the deals, rewards for points and such. not to mention the great deal when you start up.

I see Amazon price matched the Blu-ray/DVD combo for My Neighbor Totoro, it's going for $19.99.  Oh and Princess Mononoke as well.

Still need Whisper of the Heart and Castle in the Sky. I think might just have the DVD still of Ponyo. Have the rest. If Castle drops, I'm in. Anyone know how long this sale lasts?

Shit might have to grab some of these. I have Spirited Away and Mononoke on DVD and Wolf Children on Blu. 

Any recommendations? I'm thinking about Nausicaa, Howls Moving Castle, and The Wind Rises.

Opinions on Castle in the Sky? Any other recommendations? Also, is the Blu Ray quality of Mononoke worth it if I already have the DVD?

Thanks!

finally able to get Princess Mononoke at the price I want!

@FishPhoenix:

Get:

Kiki's Delivery Service

Howl's Moving Castle, I'm bias on this because it's my favorite.  If I didn't already have the DVD and strap on cash, I'd get it again.

I personally didn't like Castle in the Sky.  I kept falling asleep.  Took me 3 tries to get through the movie.

Wind Rises is a fictionalize documentary about how a famous Japanese engineer designed a famous plane

This person from SD gives a pretty good summary of some of the movies

Shit might have to grab some of these. I have Spirited Away and Mononoke on DVD and Wolf Children on Blu.

Any recommendations? I'm thinking about Nausicaa, Howls Moving Castle, and The Wind Rises.

Opinions on Castle in the Sky? Any other recommendations? Also, is the Blu Ray quality of Mononoke worth it if I already have the DVD?

Thanks!
Nausicaa, Mononoke, Totoro, and Howl's are all must-buys for me.

Heads up also on Ghibli I found Princess Kaguya for 18.99 @ Walmart supposed to come out tuesday but if you want it a bit early :). Also It is probably because of this they are having the sale albeit Kaguya is released by GKids.

to each their own, but its paid for itself and then some since I have been a member. between the deals, rewards for points and such. not to mention the great deal when you start up.
Except as I stated, you can't get those titles right now with a new enrollment. I have everything but newer stuff.

Are any of these available in the Disney Movie Club as an initial pick?
Only the oldest titles. The stuff that came out at the end of last year or this year are unavailable. In fact it's gotten worse. You were able to get Kiki's DVD as an enrollment title and now even that's members only and it's been out for years! I'm thinking we'll be waiting till the end of the year before we can get these movies.

Heads up also on Ghibli I found Princess Kaguya for 18.99 @ Walmart supposed to come out tuesday but if you want it a bit early :). Also It is probably because of this they are having the sale albeit Kaguya is released by GKids.
was this the blu ray or dvd?

I see Amazon price matched the Blu-ray/DVD combo for My Neighbor Totoro, it's going for $19.99. Oh and Princess Mononoke as well.
They matched a few more than that too. Here's the full list of Blu/DVD combo matches:

Tales From Earthsea: http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Earthsea-Blu-ray-Bunta-Sugawara/dp/B00PYAE2M8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424042415&sr=8-2&keywords=Tales+from+Earthsea

Whisper of the Heart: http://www.amazon.com/Whisper-Heart-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/B007JNTPSO/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424042439&sr=8-1&keywords=Whisper+of+the+Heart

The Wind Rises: http://www.amazon.com/Wind-Rises-2-Disc-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/B00MHT49KO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424042456&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Wind+Rises

Princess Mononoke: http://www.amazon.com/Princess-Mononoke-Blu-ray-Claire-Danes/dp/B00MMPB3VG/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424042476&sr=8-1&keywords=Princess+Mononoke

Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind: http://www.amazon.com/Nausica%C3%A4-Valley-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/B004CRR9G0/ref=sr_1_1_twi_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424042500&sr=8-1&keywords=Nausicaa+of+the+Valley+of+Wind

The Secret World of Arrietty: http://www.amazon.com/Secret-World-Arrietty-Two-Disc-Blu-ray/dp/B005LAIGXM/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424042511&sr=8-1&keywords=Arrietty

My Neighbor Totoro: http://www.amazon.com/Neighbor-Totoro-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/B00BEYYEJ4/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424042867&sr=8-1&keywords=My+Neighbor+Totoro

How are the first three movies listed in the OP? Those are the most recent ones, right? I have all the others but don't know anything about those.

How are the first three movies listed in the OP? Those are the most recent ones, right? I have all the others but don't know anything about those.
Pretty much anything from Studio Ghibli ranks from good to fricking awesome. It's one of the few companies that makes animation worth investing into for your family.

My kids will be weaned on Hayao Miyazaki flicks.

I already own most of these on DVD. Can anyone speak as to whether it's worth the upgrade to Blu? These all hold a dear place in my heart, but $20 bones each is still a good chunk o' change if it's just a minimal upgrade.

I already own most of these on DVD. Can anyone speak as to whether it's worth the upgrade to Blu? These all hold a dear place in my heart, but $20 bones each is still a good chunk o' change if it's just a minimal upgrade.
This. Quality-wise, you'll notice it on a real big TV. I nabbed a 'complete' movie collection circa 2013 that didn't have The Wind Rises or Princess Kaguya in it...it cost me less than $30 on eBay. And yes, all the movies are 'legit' (bootlegs, but they are the movies), great DVD quality, and have both language tracks and sub's for English and Japanese. But depending how the Studio fares in the years to come, I'd see little effort in procuring anything save DVDs for the two latest flicks.

I've been holding out buying any more of these but for 20$ I can't say no. Got Kiki, Pom Poko and Porco.

I have and love the steelbooks from Zavvi for Ponyo, Howls, Totoro and Nausicca. I emailed them asking if any more Ghibli steels were coming but no ideas of course. Also, they are region B but I have that covered.

Thanks for posting this cause I would have missed it otherwise.

Kiki is a great coming of age story about a young witch, and the dub has Phil Hartman in an amazingly hilarious dub as a super snarky cat. Wind Rises is a very unusual, but beautiful film about Japan's Howard Hughes. Princess Mononoke is the film that people have been clamoring the most for a blu-ray release. It's considered by many to be his masterpiece, and a great story

After a lot of debating I went with Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa, and The Wind Rises. All are for in store pickup except Nausicaa.

I really, really, really want to get the Princess Mononoke Blu ray, but with the messed up English subtitle track, I just know I'll be disappointed in the end.  

Kiki is a great coming of age story about a young witch, and the dub has Phil Hartman in an amazingly hilarious dub as a super snarky cat. Wind Rises is a very unusual, but beautiful film about Japan's Howard Hughes. Princess Mononoke is the film that people have been clamoring the most for a blu-ray release. It's considered by many to be his masterpiece, and a great story
I picked up those 3 from the Disney Movie Club recently and have enjoyed them. I guess I shouldn't have been so lazy and just typed out the ones I was asking about:

Porco Russo

Pom Poko

Tales from Earthsea

How do they compare to the rest? I never hear them mentioned so I didn't know if they were any less regarded.

Would have been great if Pom Poko, Porco Rosso, and Earthsea were these prices on release day. Got to do a price adjustment now. 

I really, really, really want to get the Princess Mononoke Blu ray, but with the messed up English subtitle track, I just know I'll be disappointed in the end.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of dubtitles either, but I really wanted Mononoke and wasn't gonna drop $70 on the Japanese release.

I picked up those 3 from the Disney Movie Club recently and have enjoyed them. I guess I shouldn't have been so lazy and just typed out the ones I was asking about:

Porco Russo

Pom Poko

Tales from Earthsea

How do they compare to the rest? I never hear them mentioned so I didn't know if they were any less regarded.
Pom Pokko is a hilarious and bizzare story about Tanooki balls. Porco Rosso, I haven't seen it in a while, but I do remember it's a really nice story. Tales from Earthsea is a great movie, but it's not a Hayao Miyazaki film (instead being done by his son), and the story is slow-moving, but it's still a good movie.

Looks like about half of these went back to normal price. Picked up Princess Mononoke (backordered) but missed out on Nausicaa. Already have Totoro on DVD, probably should have waited for the combo pack.

Looks like about half of these went back to normal price. Picked up Princess Mononoke (backordered) but missed out on Nausicaa. Already have Totoro on DVD, probably should have waited for the combo pack.
Some of them are still the same price, but on backorder, so you'll have to click on the actual list of sellers to see that it's still available for that price, but just not currently in stock.

Had Amazon provide me price adjustments on the ones that I bought from them (Wind Also Rises, KiKi's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke) and sent Best Buy an email for the ones I ordered from them (Porco Rosso, Pom Pokko, Tales From Earthsea).

What's wrong with the Mononoke Blu?
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/princess-mononoke-bd

This in a nutshell. For the TL;DR crowd, Disney took the DVD release of the movie from back when, and had to delay its release in order to add in the Japanese audio and subtitles based on respectful Japanese translation of the script. The DVD did wonderfully in maintaining this respectful balance. With the Blu-Ray, Disney refrained from including the 'perfectly good subtitles' with this release.

The audio in English is not the issue. It's the subtitles. For those who watch the Japanese audio and want the English subs to understand what characters are saying and doing, the Blu-Ray has suffered badly for it. The original DVD, however...it keeps this respect in mind.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/princess-mononoke-bd

This in a nutshell. For the TL;DR crowd, Disney took the DVD release of the movie from back when, and had to delay its release in order to add in the Japanese audio and subtitles based on respectful Japanese translation of the script. The DVD did wonderfully in maintaining this respectful balance. With the Blu-Ray, Disney refrained from including the 'perfectly good subtitles' with this release.

The audio in English is not the issue. It's the subtitles. For those who watch the Japanese audio and want the English subs to understand what characters are saying and doing, the Blu-Ray has suffered badly for it. The original DVD, however...it keeps this respect in mind.
Thanks. Nothing that would bother me and the kids.

We got Earthsea as our first Ghibli on Blu for Valentine's Day and thought it looked great. So now we've decided to upgrade all our other Ghibli movies. I'm going with Mononoke as my fav and the kids are going with Howl's and Totoro.

I went ahead and ordered Pom Pokko, and Porco Rosso.  I was going to wait and just buy them in store tomorrow, but I'm worried they might reset the prices before I get there.

I went ahead and purchased all of the bluray releases I have been holding off for sometime and don't care to deal with disney movie club so now was as good of time as any. 

I went ahead and purchased all of the bluray releases I have been holding off for sometime and don't care to deal with disney movie club so now was as good of time as any.
Thats what I was going to do, but then I got 6 Ghibli movies, big hero 6, and clone wars lost missions all on blu for 80 bucks with the club today. The commitment is already done and I'll likely cancel immediately

Does anyone have the link to Porco Rosso for BB? Whenever I do a search, the only thing that pops is the soundtrack import.
Yeah I had trouble finding it for awhile. You had to do a search for Earthsea or Pom Poko, then click on Porco in the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought". Here you go. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/porco-rosso-blu-ray-disc-2-disc/9496199.p?id=1358637&skuId=9496199

Also, for those like me who purchased Pom Poko, Porco Rosso, and Tales from Earthsea on release day. You can just do a price adjustment refund at customer service. Showed them my receipt last night and they refunded me the difference no problem. The return/price difference policy is within 15 days I think.

bread's done
Back