New 3DS XL Memory Cards

Chrono Gear

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (96%)
I'm sure this has been asked ad nauseam but I have to check in with you guys on the New 3DS XL memory card situation since mine is due in the mail today:

It has a micro SD card slot not regular?

What's the largest capacity it can support? I believe the original 3DS can support up to 128GB with a fat32 format (which I can do easily)

What's the best deal on the largest capacity supported card out there right now? I can snag a 32GB from Fry's Electronics for $18 on my way home if that's a good deal but I feel like I can get it for less or more capacity for the same price.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure this has been asked ad nauseam but I have to check in with you guys on the New 3DS XL memory card situation since mine is due in the mail today:

It has a micro SD card slot not regular?

What's the largest capacity it can support? I believe the original 3DS can support up to 128GB with a fat32 format (which I can do easily)

What's the best deal on the largest capacity supported card out there right now? I can snag a 32GB from Fry's Electronics for $18 on my way home if that's a good deal but I feel like I can get it for less or more capacity for the same price.

Thanks!
--Yes, micro SD

--Not sure of max capacity, but as long as you're willing to manually format to Fat32, it can exceed 32GB. I have a 64GB in mine and have heard of others with 128GB.

--Sales prices on memory move from retailer to retailer each week, $12-15 for 32GB for known brands seems to be the norm recently.

According to Nintendo, the New 3DS can utilize a 2 GB micro SD card and up to a 32 gig micro SDHC card.

Link to tests ran on certain sizes and brands -

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13995/~/microsd-cards-that-have-been-tested-to-work-with-the-new-nintendo-3ds-xl

Of course other brands can work as well. Kingston is a good brand that won't break the bank, as is Kingston or PNY. Depending on the brand, a 32 gig for $18 is a good deal. I almost picked up a couple of 16 gig Samsung micro SD cards for mine and my wife's phone from our local Wal-Mart and they were above 15 a piece.

I saw a 64 gig Sandisk micro from Wal-Mart for 44, but until an update etc from what I've read 32 is the biggest it can handle but it has to be micro SDHC.

Also the class matters, or some will say. Lower class cards tend to not transfer data as well, while higher classes (6 to 10) are said to be more reliable for picture and video taking. As long as it's a class 6, or even a class 4, you should be fine.

I hope this was of some help my fellow CAG.

bread's done
Back