Guide to buying from Japan using Tenso.com

angel98

CAGiversary!
Introduction

A couple nights ago Amiibo wave 4 came up on amazon.jp and I scrambled to figure out how to use a forwarding service (Tenso.com) to get them. Some things can be ordered directly from Japan to the US, but some things cannot. Unfortunately, Amiibo figures can not be directly purchased from amazon.jp.

Overall, it wasn't that difficult to get everything set up, but once I did and confirmed everything was right I felt a lot better about the process. Below is my best attempt at a step by step guide (with pictures) to help anyone that is new to the process.

I live in the US and was pre-ordering Amiibo figures from amazon.jp so this guide will be from that point of view.

Register for an account on Tenso

Your first task is go to the english version of Tenso. There you will see the screen below. Click to register a new account.

yyihjdM.png

Signing up is fairly straight forward. Enter your personal information and billing information.

8k9R4DD.png

After signing up you will receive an email with some important information. Seen in the image below is all of the address information you will need to give to amazon.jp. Most of the address will be the same for everyone signing up (postal code, region, street address, phone), but what is different is your unique Tenso ID. This takes the form of TSXXXXXX. The ID also shows up in address line two as TSXXXXXX転送コム. The japanese part means "transfer com".

Also important within the email is the link to prove your identification. My understanding is Japanese law requires proof of address before shipping goods overseas. It is pretty simple, just scan an ID and upload a photo. This only needs to be done and verified before your item ships from Tenso's warehouse (more about that later).

3Ffgkll.png

Purchasing from Amazon.jp

The best way to navigate amazon.jp is using Google Chrome since it has a translation feature. Once the page is translated, use the drop down menu to sign up for amazon.jp. Unlike amazon.co.uk/fr/de/etc, our US accounts are not linked with the Japanese amazon so you'll have to create a new account.

AzA867n.png

Sign up is fairly straight forward with google translate so just fill in all the required fields and create a password.

dd3akyP.png

Once your account is created, while logged in use the drop down menu and select "Account Services". See the image below to find "I want to change the contents of my address book".

06qIDtl.png

This next step is probably the most difficult part of the whole process (still really easy). Click the button "to enter the domestic address" and you will be taken to the screen you see below. You will need to enter in the information from your email. Revert the page back to Japanese and enter:
1. your name in the first space
2. the postal code (120-0023) in the second space
3. The region in the drop down menu (says "Tokyo") make sure to match the characters from the email
4. The address from your email up to "42-4". In the email the lump the two address lines into one line, be sure to split them up.
5. The second address from your email. This is the TSXXXXXX転送コム part.
6. Leave blank
7. The phone number (03-5739-3341)

All these steps are also illustrated here.

bbsok5M.png

Okay, rest assured that if you followed these steps correctly amazon will not send your package off to Okinawa. Now, after you finish with your address billing information will come up. Use google translate again to translate the page. Click on the "Enter the information for the new payment method:" radio button and it will bring up the image shown below. You can enter in your credit card info here. As long as Tenso has your credit card info, then you can use Tenso's address as the billing address for the card.  After some new information in the thread I contacted Tenso and they confirmed that you need to use your actual address as your billing address (DUH!).  So, click "Enter the outside of Japan address".  This will forward you to a page where you can enter in your credit card info and US address.

UtViCci.png

Okay, now you are all done. Just buy Amiibos like you would on the US page. Add them to cart, then proceed to checkout and ship to the address we entered in earlier. Once Tenso receives your items they will update your shopping page on Tenso.com within a day (or so). Then, assuming that your address was verified, they will ship the items to you. All that's left is the security of pre-ordering wave 4,

ILR3I44.png

FAQ

Q: How much does each amiibo cost?
A: Well, this is a complicated question so the short answer is, it depends. It depends on the exchange rate along with the number of Amiibo and the shipping weight. The best resources I found are listed below:

1. Exchange rate calculator. Each Amiibo sold by amazon is ¥1,296 or $10.91 when this was written.
2. Tenso Fee Guide/Tenso Shipping Fee Estimator. Tenso charges based on the weight so if I order all of wave 4 that is 6 Amiibo figures. Assuming each figure weighs ~90g, the weight of the figures+box would be around 650g. Using the cheapest shipping method this is ¥1,750 or $14.74. So, if you pre-order all of wave 4 your approximate total charge would be $10.91*6+$14.74=$80.20 ($13.37 per amiibo). That is cheaper than MSRP+tax and only $2 more than MSRP when buying all 6. That's actually pretty good. Of course it all depends on how many you order and what the actual weight of the package is.

Q: What is the shipping speed?
A: You can choose various shipping speeds and information is provided in the Shipping Fee Estimator. The cheapest option is approximately 14 days.

Q: Is it reliable?
A: Unfortunately, this is my first time using Tenso so I can't speak from personal experience, but if you search Tenso on /r/amiibo it appears that it is a trusted service.

Approximate Cost per Amiibo

Assuming the amazon price of ¥1,296 (even though they do get cheaper) and an approximate weight for each Amiibo at 90g, and a box+packing material weight at 350g (I weighed a pretty large box with some bubble wrap and rounded up), below are some estimates for cost per Amiibo.  I've decided to over estimate everything to be safe so these should be fairly high values.

​
VjzhFmm.png

Last edited by a moderator:
How much does shipping end up being? I'm guessing Tenso must charge you to use their service on top of what it costs to reroute your package.

How much does shipping end up being? I'm guessing Tenso must charge you to use their service on top of what it costs to reroute your package.
The shipping charge and fee depends on the weight of the package they are sending for you. I provide some links and an estimate in the FAQ section.

Wow, I'm amazed at how cheap this is. I thought the services + shipping would be must more, this seems incredibly reasonable though.

Wow, I'm amazed at how cheap this is. I thought the services + shipping would be must more, this seems incredibly reasonable though.
I added a table to the OP to show what the different rates would be depending on how many you ordered. This all assumes that it's in the same box and I overestimated the box weight quite a bit. Obviously, things change if amazon decides to send multiple boxes.

I added a table to the OP to show what the different rates would be depending on how many you ordered. This all assumes that it's in the same box and I overestimated the box weight quite a bit. Obviously, things change if amazon decides to send multiple boxes.
That was my main concern. Lets say I order all of wave 4 and they send them in different shipments, the shipping cost will really go way up.

Hey I was able to add my actual address as a billing address for my credit card. Should I use my actual address as a billing address or should I use the Tenso address?

Hey I was able to add my actual address as a billing address for my credit card. Should I use my actual address as a billing address or should I use the Tenso address?
So I went off of a reddit post from someone who has used Tenso before (or at least claimed to) and wrote up a short guide. He says "use the Tenso address as the billing/shipping address".

I actually tried to use a US address for my billing address, but couldn't get it to work. How did you do it? Maybe the safer bet would be to use the address associated with the credit card. Well, either way, I've sent off an email to Tenso to confirm so I'll post the answer when I get it.

After I made an account at amazon i was able to go back later and add my US address. It wont let me ship anything to there but it let me use that as my billing address.

After I made an account at amazon i was able to go back later and add my US address. It wont let me ship anything to there but it let me use that as my billing address.
I made some changes to the guide. I think maybe the way to go is the US address, but I'll let Tenso confirm that for me. I just went in and was able to change the billing address on my credit card with no problems to my order so it's an easy fix.

Neat thread, thanks for posting this! I have some friends stationed at a military base in Japan. Wonder if I could set up an Amazon account, add my billing information in the U.S. and send it to their house to ship to me later? I already asked and they don't use Amazon Japan or that could have made things easier.

You just use the Tenso address for shipping. Use your actual address for billing - otherwise your card will get declined.

The best way to navigate amazon.jp is using Google Chrome since it has a translation feature.
Er, you do know that Amazon.co.jp itself has an "in English" button at the top of the homepage, right? Every item listing there also has the option to view that page in non-machine-translated English, and all your registration/account info will be in English as well. You can even search for "amiibo" on Amazon JP without having to change your system language since it's already romanized in Japanese. Unfortunately, item titles and descriptions remain in Japanese; is that why you recommended Chrome?

The main drawback I've heard about Tenso is that they only ship EMS (express mail), but they're supposed to be a good proxy otherwise. I usually use dv8CAG for Amazon.co.jp stuff that can't be shipped internationally; From Japan is a decent proxy as well.

Alternately, you can order amiibo directly from a shop in Japan that ships overseas, like AmiAmi. Seems like the harder-to-find ones tend to sell out quickly there, though; it's been a very popular store with figure collectors for years, so that's the first place many people go to for Japanese amiibo.

Er, you do know that Amazon.co.jp itself has an "in English" button at the top of the homepage, right? Every item listing there also has the option to view that page in non-machine-translated English, and all your registration/account info will be in English as well. You can even search for "amiibo" on Amazon JP without having to change your system language since it's already romanized in Japanese. Unfortunately, item titles and descriptions remain in Japanese; is that why you recommended Chrome?

The main drawback I've heard about Tenso is that they only ship EMS (express mail), but they're supposed to be a good proxy otherwise. I usually use dv8CAG for Amazon.co.jp stuff that can't be shipped internationally; From Japan is a decent proxy as well.

Alternately, you can order amiibo directly from a shop in Japan that ships overseas, like AmiAmi. Seems like the harder-to-find ones tend to sell out quickly there, though; it's been a very popular store with figure collectors for years, so that's the first place many people go to for Japanese amiibo.
Tenso does SAL and Ground as well as EMS. The price differences aren't big enough to justify the long wait between them and EMS, though.

So pretty decent guide overall. Finally set this up but due to some typos and changes I've gotten a bit confused. So you add in the Tenso address, cool got that. Then I was taken to the next page in Japanese, with no option to translate for some reason so I went back to the home page and hit "In English" (must be a feature of the site, clearly idk where chrome's translate button is, usually it just prompts you).

Then I went back to my address book and saw the International Address option. Added in my card and local address. So this leaves me with two questions:

-If my billing info is attached to my local address, which is separate from the Tenso one, do I then just choose to ship to Tenso BUT charge to my local billing info in this separate address? I guess that makes sense, weird that there's this separate local address in your Address book now that you can never use...

-Where does Tenso know where to ship to? I still have to send them my validation but do you set this up on their site? This is where the guide feels incomplete. Do they just take the address on your ID? That feels limited, it may be out of date or not where you want the package to go.

I realize you enter your local billing address on Amazon.jp but that's clearly not the shipping address even if it may be the same.

So pretty decent guide overall. Finally set this up but due to some typos and changes I've gotten a bit confused. So you add in the Tenso address, cool got that. Then I was taken to the next page in Japanese, with no option to translate for some reason so I went back to the home page and hit "In English" (must be a feature of the site, clearly idk where chrome's translate button is, usually it just prompts you).
So, someone mentioned here that you can actually view amazon.jp in english and I've been doing that since they mentioned it. At the top there is a link at the top labeled "in english". I will update the guide with that information.

-If my billing info is attached to my local address, which is separate from the Tenso one, do I then just choose to ship to Tenso BUT charge to my local billing info in this separate address? I guess that makes sense, weird that there's this separate local address in your Address book now that you can never use...
This is correct. I was also confused about this because someone who made a guide on reddit specifically told people to put Tenso's address as the billing address. They made the guide the night wave 4 pre-orders went up so I was scrambling to get an order in. But yes, the shipping address is your Tenso address and the billing address is the address attached to your credit card.

I heard that you can order some things on amazon.jp that can be shipped to the US. I haven't tried it myself, but for sure amiibos can't be shipped to the US.

-Where does Tenso know where to ship to? I still have to send them my validation but do you set this up on their site? This is where the guide feels incomplete. Do they just take the address on your ID? That feels limited, it may be out of date or not where you want the package to go.

When you sign up for a Tenso account you enter your billing address and there is a little box at the bottom with a radio button to use that address as your shipping address. The only wrinkle is that the shipping address must match the address on your ID for the first package you send. Then I think that you can change it, but I wont need to do that so I'm not sure about it.

I'll need to make some updates to the guide including the fact that you can actually consolidate packages for a small fee. This would be very advantageous if amazon doesn't ship out your orders in the same box or if certain figures go up at certain times and you need to make multiple orders.

Greeting from 2018, I've used Transbang for forwarding service, they got pretty price and processing order fast, Tenso is the head of forwarding service but Transbang worth trying. 

bread's done
Back