Canada VideoGame prices rising to $74.99

banksst

CAGiversary!
Last edited by a moderator:
America welcomes our brothers/sisters to the north with open arms for cheaper video game prices!!!

I do wonder in a place like Toronto will people make the drive to the US to buy new games?

Ya, that's the end of Brick and Mortars for me. I will buy digital and wait for PSN flash sales.

Only thing I will buy there will be on sale PSN Cards.

The last time I payed $69.99 for a non-Collector's Edition game was in 2010, and in the end I got my money's worth. But yeah, $65, $70, $75, $80, it doesn't matter because these price hikes don't ever fly for any of the CAGers I know. If we're not getting 30% off from summer pre-order deals, we'll usually just wait for the inevitable $30-$50 price drop during the holidays.

hilarious

yet i don't seem to recall a price drop when our dollar was doing well.

don't buy many new releases anyway. i find most are overpriced when they were $59, never mind the $69 and now $75

* $79 for battlefield hardline delux   ..lmao, was fun, but i honestly thought it was going to be budget priced; $40 ish

lol wow

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't bother me one bit as I haven't paid full price for a game in ages. I always wait until the price drops by at least 50%. Now at $75, I have a longer wait for that $30 price range.

I was actually holding out for Toukiden, then folded at the last minute and got Dragon Age:Inquisition for $40 the last day of the PSN Critics Sale.

VERY VERY glad I did that now.

That sucks. I rarely buy new at full price anyways, but I haven't seen prices like these since the SNES days.

At least the used and digital markets make it so much easier to find cheaper games now than the 16-bit era.

*low whistle*

Daaaannnggg, that's crazy! Thankfully, the glut of broken, garbage games over the past couple of years has cured me of my pre-order habit. My backlog is so big now, anyway, that I can easily wait until games hit firesale prices.

Quick aside: this is going to date me horrilby, but I'm pretty sure the last time I paid anywhere near that much for a game was back in 1990, when I spent all of my summer earnings on Final Fantasy for the NES. Cost me $80 + tax. Adjusted for inflation, that's more than $140 in today's dollars. HIGHWAY ROBBERY.

*low whistle*

Daaaannnggg, that's crazy! Thankfully, the glut of broken, garbage games over the past couple of years has cured me of my pre-order habit. My backlog is so big now, anyway, that I can easily wait until games hit firesale prices.

Quick aside: this is going to date me horrilby, but I'm pretty sure the last time I paid anywhere near that much for a game was back in 1990, when I spent all of my summer earnings on Final Fantasy for the NES. Cost me $80 + tax. Adjusted for inflation, that's more than $140 in today's dollars. HIGHWAY ROBBERY.
For me it was Mortal Kombat II for the Genesis. =)

hilarious

yet i don't seem to recall a price drop when our dollar was doing well.

don't buy many new releases anyway. i find most are overpriced when they were $59, never mind the $69 and now $75
Actually, for quite sometime games were 69.99 here when our dollar sucked a decade ago or so, and then they dropped to 59.99 when it improved. It is crazy for them to jump up to 74.99 so soon after the last price hike however.

Honestly though, it's so simple to return games you end up not wanting that you order during the E3 sale I guess it's not going to affect me that much. Will be interesting to see how much of a "deal" we end up getting on that sale this year, however. Between that and trade in deals, I don't honestly know the last time I've just bought a full priced game at launch straight up.

Gross.

Guess I'll just have to wait for the price to drop as usual, the last game I preordered was Elder Scrolls: Skyrim so I'm not overly concerned but still, that's ridiculous :)

Even though prices are trending towards $75, at least E3 is a couple months away, which usually sees sales when pre-ordering (like last year, and the years before). Even at $75, with 30% off the price drops to $52.50. Not amazing, but better than what we pay at full-price.

That being said, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to but games brand new/at release. They usually come out with huge day one patches, bugs that take weeks to fix, and nine times out of ten, there is usually a $10-20 off sale within the first two months. So really, what is my incentive to but day one/pre-order...?

I'm getting N64 era flashbacks.  I remember seeing sticker prices as high as $99.99 on cartridges back then and the "Player's Choice" million seller budget titles were $49.99.  

With any luck the market doesn't respond well to this next price jump and retailers are forced to retreat back to $69.99 or lower by the time this year's big holiday titles are coming out.  The only games I see myself considering at $75 are Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight, and even then I'll be making damn sure I search for any possible deal before hand.  

The titles the OP linked to appear to be a sort of "official" import.  Very Japanese names of a couple games I've never even heard of.  Any other title I look into such as Witcher 3 for example, still show the $69.99 price.

So the $75 may just be for certain titles that are more of a niche market.  Think anime on DVDs - ridiculously overpriced (and usually not worth the price for how few episodes are on each disc).

That is insane, 60$ was already way too much for me. Paying around 86$ with taxes... no thanks.

I would generally buy 1 full priced new release each year for few games which caught my interest a lot, but with my huge backlog now, I won't buy new anymore.

Yeah the rate at which I buy new games is going to slow down. But this price increase is not shocking given that $60 USD is $76 CDN at the moment. 

Yes, I remember these prices from the 90s, paid 79.99 for Mortal Kombat II on Sega Genesis, I believe that Super Street Fighter 2 was the same price when I grabbed it as well. That was brutal, but at least video games could be rented at that time. I will wait for prices to drop now as well, catch up on my back log...wait for Metal Gear V; I will pay full price for the new Wii U Zelda when it drops, only because it will be epic...

Bumping this thread up. In case people haven't noticed EA is trying to make $79.99 the new price point for games in Canada.  Star Wars Battlefront is $79.99 for the regular and $89.99 for the deluxe edition at EB and Amazon.

https://www.ebgames.ca/PS4/Games/719730/star-wars-battlefront-with-bonus

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00WAJNDM6?ref=spks_0_0_2078909482&ie=UTF8&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=desktop-auto-sparkle&pf_rd_r=0GXQ6JM40TSY7WCCK9VE&pf_rd_p=2078909482&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=star%20wars%20battlefront&qid=1429651415

LOL, screw that. I don't purchase games on day one anymore... unless it's a Nintendo title. They're usually more fair-priced.

i see much profit loss, and many more gamers looking to buy used with the higher prices.

dumb move.

i don't think i'll  be buying many games at $79 new.

It's not only EA, Black Ops 3 (Activision being the publisher, of course) will also be $79.99 in Canada.

Ya, that's the end of Brick and Mortars for me. I will buy digital and wait for PSN flash sales.

Only thing I will buy there will be on sale PSN Cards.
Out of curiosity, has anyone seen any PSN card sales lately? (I mean the pre-paid cards, not the PS Plus cards).

Target had them on a few times for buy one get one 20% off, so I stocked up with about $300 at that time, but running out soon.

I don't recall any other retailers ever discounting them?

bread's done
Back