* * * * - 14 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread 2.0

#8191 daveydarko   I'll Miku-Miku You (For Reals) CAGiversary!   1572 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:06 AM

Not many other differences. I just prefer playing it on console to handheld. (Atleast when I'm actually progressing, when I'm mindlessly grinding I prefer playing in my spare time on the go)

Cool, thank you. I was the thinking the controller would be better for actual combat and stuff, but I do love the Vita and I had bought the game before I had a PS4. I'll probably decide I want it after it sells out, that way the decision is already made for me. :)

#8192 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40067 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:13 AM

Thread is perfect as is. Maybe even more than perfect. Don't mess with success.

Thanks

#8193 RollingSkull   Banned Banned   6307 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

RollingSkull

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:29 AM

Apart from all the people with awful opinions, this thread kicks the crap out of the Steam thread for finding deals, which is just memeposting 90% of the time.

That said this thread is so borderline I can't honestly make a compelling argument against moving it, but, still, the internet has long since abandoned principle-based arguments so keep it.

EDIT: I never got Gravity Rush out of my backlog so this is a perfect opportunity to rid myself of it, especially since my Vita case only holds four games. Which, technically, is more than you need when you own a Vita by a factor of five or so, but, still, space was getting tight.

#8194 YBX87   CAGiversary! Banned   14405 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:45 AM

This is 1942 all over again... Interment camps for everybody!

if weare  forced to create a separate thread in another forum just for ot talk about japanese niche games, this thread wouldn't be bumped at all, since the OP is busy and all

or OP is going to have change the title of the thread to Japanese niche games deal discussion thread.

#8195 Soul-Shaker  

Soul-Shaker

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:51 AM

Cool, thank you. I was the thinking the controller would be better for actual combat and stuff, but I do love the Vita and I had bought the game before I had a PS4. I'll probably decide I want it after it sells out, that way the decision is already made for me. :)

I played my vita version mostly on Vita TV because I prefer controller. The biggest difference I would have to say on PS4 is 1080p as some of the newer Oni and newer/upgraded abilities feel like it was designed with 1080p in mind. I mean because a lot more abilities launch above the screen pan limit and barely give you time to evade once they reappear on screen right above your head.

If you still got a lot more to do and intend to still play a lot more, it might be worth it. I was holding off PS4 because PC version was announced but it wasn't optimized for pc controls and all I got left in PS version is grinding trophies.

#8196 Pokechaos480   Banned Banned   3685 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Pokechaos480

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:01 AM

some snitch probably report to the mods

Snitches get stitches.

#8197 thorbahn3   Everyone talks too much! Super Moderators   4201 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:05 AM

if weare  forced to create a separate thread in another forum just for ot talk about japanese niche games, this thread wouldn't be bumped at all, since the OP is busy and all

or OP is going to have change the title of the thread to Japanese niche games deal discussion thread.

Ok new topic it is.

#8198 AugustAPC   Not For Sale CAGiversary!   3561 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:11 AM

Is it really fair to say that Bloodborne is nothing new when touting the wonders of Donkey Kong? I'd say rehashing the same formulas for 20 years is something Nintendo has been doing better than anyone else. It's that kind of mentality that has made them virtually irrelevant with gaming audiences today that don't just get Nintendo stuff to play the new Pokemon. 

The effort that Nintendo has been putting forth as of late isn't for its games, but in moving more and more amiibos. I don't blame them, that's where the money and interest is as of late. The games that they do put out are very good (Splatoon? I think that's the only game of theirs I've even played this year), but it's incredibly frustrating to deal with a company that refuses to catch up to industry standards. By that I don't mean putting Call of Duty on their console, but in having some god damn common sense in releasing a console/online network. 32gb model max, terribly clunky online store/digital management, and expecting people to pour money into something they're going to move on from in under a year to announce something we already know they're making. 

I don't want Nintendo to go out of business, but their hubris has been their undoing with the WiiU, and sincerely hope it was a wake up call for whatever the hell they're planning next. 

There was nearly a fifteen year gap between Donkey Kong Country 3 and Returns. From Software released four "souls" games within a six year span. I'm not saying Bloodbourne is a bad game by any means. It's actually very good, but it does little to standout amongst its brethren. The point is that Nintendo has plenty of titles of equivalent quality that offer different themes and environments than that found in both the Xbox's and Playstation's general library. This applies both in terms of gameplay and aesthetics.

You say that Nintendo is most guilty of rehashing, but you couldn't possibly be wronger. Sure, they rely on some franchises to bring in revenue, but there's plenty of companies who do that just as much, if not far more than Nintendo (ie: Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty). Regardless, Nintendo is the primary innovator in gaming. Their consoles, with the exception of the GameCube, have all done new things to differentiate themselves from the competition. Many of which pioneered several industry standards today. Hell, Microsoft and Sony attempted to ape Nintendo's success with the Wii with their own garbage knockoffs. The Xbox One and PS4 are essentially just more powerful renditions of their predecessors, whereas the Wii U actually implements new tools for game development, which unfortunately were not capitalized on due to the poor performance of the console. In fact, by that ideal alone, Nintendo's milked franchises see more diversity in gameplay than their counterparts.

Anyway, I'm done belaboring this point. The Wii U is a great system with great games that injects this industry with some fucking desperately needed color in an industry that is, otherwise, flooded with tedium.

#8199 daveydarko   I'll Miku-Miku You (For Reals) CAGiversary!   1572 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:17 AM

I played my vita version mostly on Vita TV because I prefer controller. The biggest difference I would have to say on PS4 is 1080p as some of the newer Oni and newer/upgraded abilities feel like it was designed with 1080p in mind. I mean because a lot more abilities launch above the screen pan limit and barely give you time to evade once they reappear on screen right above your head.

If you still got a lot more to do and intend to still play a lot more, it might be worth it. I was holding off PS4 because PC version was announced but it wasn't optimized for pc controls and all I got left in PS version is grinding trophies.

Thanks, that's really helpful because that sounds annoying as hell, and yeah I haven't even started the real new part of Kiwami lol, so there's a lot I have to do, I always thought Age of Demons looked so blah, so I never bought it, but I really like it now that I've played Kiwami, I guess I just never gave it a chance really before or they really improved it. I'm not really in a rush to go out and buy the PS4 one right now though is the problem, but I doubt it goes any lower than $20. There's a lot of stuff coming up, which is good, but I wish I could just double-dip without thinking twice about it. I heard before the PS4 copy is kind of rare, but I don't know if that's true at all. The PC version looked awesome in the trailers, like really good, sucks to know it didn't turn out well. Anyways, thanks again. At least the sale lasts for a couple of days, games usually come and go, so I probably need to make sure I've got everything else sorted out first. I'll probably grab it if I can, though.

#8200 YBX87   CAGiversary! Banned   14405 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:18 AM

damn, the mods blasted this thread to oblivion fast

here is the new thread

Japanese Niche Games Deals & Disscussion Thread 3.0

RIP OP

#8201 Commodore Wheeler   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1231 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Commodore Wheeler

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:22 AM

Thread is perfect as is. Maybe even more than perfect. Don't mess with success.

Thanks

Yeah this is arguably the best Japanese gaming thread I've ever seen on the internet. It's alerted me to countless deals, and most of the discussion has actually been really helpful to me in terms of helping me to decide what to buy.

Personally, I wouldn't change anything about this thread.

#8202 Cloyd   Forever awaiting the English release of Moe Crystal. CAGiversary!   1039 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:55 AM

Yeah this is arguably the best Japanese gaming thread I've ever seen on the internet. It's alerted me to countless deals, and most of the discussion has actually been really helpful to me in terms of helping me to decide what to buy.

Yeah, I was wondering if someone would make a deals thread and leave this one up for chatting.

#8203 Zimfier   Y-You too... CAGiversary!   131 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:10 AM

This, the discussions here have lead me to finalize my thoughts on various deals throughout time.  Its kind of a necessity, really, considering how there's a lack of quantity information on niche games.

#8204 daveydarko   I'll Miku-Miku You (For Reals) CAGiversary!   1572 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:10 AM

Yeah, I was wondering if someone would make a deals thread and leave this one up for chatting.

Yeah, the new thread is already a mess. Lol. I can't say I've helped any already posting about Miku, :) I don't get what's the big deal except this thread didn't have Discussion in the title or whatever it was really. We'll still talk about games, hopefully we'll get some good deals. I'd love to actually have enough niche games on sale to have a real deals thread. That would be awesome! What the hell is the point if you can't talk about it or anything, though? It's stupid.

#8205 sovereignNX-73811   rolling (over) back in style CAGiversary!   5692 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

sovereignNX-73811

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:26 AM

And not to be offensive Thorban, but you're going to be deleting a lot of

tumblr_mknsfzSHg31r3l7xxo1_r1_250.gif

#8206 elessar123  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 03:16 AM

WTF happened?

#8207 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40067 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:23 AM

More like WTF didn't happen

#8208 Kenshindono   I'm on a Boat! CAGiversary!   4714 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Kenshindono

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:19 AM

How the flaming Fuck is this thread cut but the shitty ass steam thread which is 90% spam and pony pics and bullshit still going???

#8209 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4546 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:19 AM

so whats going on?

#8210 Cloyd   Forever awaiting the English release of Moe Crystal. CAGiversary!   1039 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:23 PM

How the flaming Fuck is this thread cut but the shitty ass steam thread which is 90% spam and pony pics and bullshit still going???

I think it was mostly due to the fact that the guy in charge of this thread told us he was taking time off and isn't here to edit the front page. So someone swooped in and created a 3.0. 

#8211 daveydarko   I'll Miku-Miku You (For Reals) CAGiversary!   1572 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:38 PM

I think it was mostly due to the fact that the guy in charge of this thread told us he was taking time off and isn't here to edit the front page. So someone swooped in and created a 3.0. 

^ He's posting in the other thread, now. Lol. So yeah, there's that. I have no idea what's going on, to be honest. The other thread is so much worse until things settle down, but still we don't have the release dates or any information on games, there. It's weird. I remember when the PSN thread went through this forever ago, I guess that was a bit different, though. Anyways, whatever. 

#8212 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2778 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:39 PM

I might have to do that. I can just skip all the cutscenes and pretend they pulled a MGSV and decided to not have a story.

Have you actually played MGSV? Because the talk about there being very little story is a huge load of bullshit.

#8213 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40067 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:54 PM

Have you actually played MGSV? Because the talk about there being very little story is a huge load of bullshit.

That's true. Very little is a bit of an overstatement.

#8214 PrinnyJ   Stay@HomeDad Gamer CAGiversary!   1014 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:20 PM

Persona 5 just got delayed to 2016.

#8215 umbry   PokePro CAGiversary!   1661 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:25 PM

Just FYI I updated the 3DS threads in the cheap deals section and the 3DS section in nintendo.

Can just copy and paste into the OP when they get a chance if they want.

#8216 lakers714  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:36 PM

Hmmm not really compared to past titles this one is severely lacking unless you consider listening to tapes the same thing

#8217 elessar123  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:17 PM

lol now we have TWO active Japanese Niche threads?

#8218 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2778 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:03 PM

Hmmm not really compared to past titles this one is severely lacking unless you consider listening to tapes the same thing

I think you forget how much of the older games was just codec conversations, or narration over sepia-toned photographs/stock footage.

I would say V probably has about the same amount of cutscenes, if you put them together over what is a much longer game, as 1 or 3, perhaps 2. The main thing is that the story, at least in Chapter 1, is much more concise, and less meandering and circuitous. I think that's a good thing.

What maybe isn't good is that Kojima apparently thinks he HAS to have some batshit twist now, and even though it is something I predicted upon the first trailer (when it was just The Phantom Pain), it's also something I was hoping would not actually be the case. It cheapens the narrative of Metal Gear, and proves that Kojima had no idea how to actually make a heel turn for Big Boss.