Looking to go to Video Game/Comic/TV/Movie/Electronics Conventions. Anyone have advice?

GBAstar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
62 (100%)
Hello,

I'm looking to travel more and both my girlfriend and I enjoy video games, movies, music, etc. I live in the "North" Northeast and anything New York or north I would drive to; outside of that I'd have to fly.

SDCC comes to mind, and keep in mind I've never been, but from what I've read it seems that these types of conventions have become so commercialized that you almost have to be an insider to get tickets and it becomes difficult to see and do everything because of how many people show up.

I'm just looking for advice on what events there are, when they are, and what people recommend in general. 

We both have very flexible schedules and disposable income to burn. Location is probably the most important thing as it'd be nice to go to areas that also have an active nightlife and things to do/see as these would probably be 3-5 day trips.

Look forward to hearing what people have to say!

I have only been to SDCC once, so many people that I didn't enjoy it. If I wanted to go see something there was already a hoard of people lined up so I couldn't get in etc. I understand why there's so many people it was just a little frustrating. It's like disneyland on 4th of July x 100 to give you an idea of how many people are there
(Or at least how it felt to me)

SDCC is the grand daddy of these types of conventions. I've been to it the last three years in a row (taking this year off). I do admit it is super super crowded, but I still really have a good time walking around outside of the convention center and seeing all the things outside. The Godzilla, Asssasin's Creed Ninja Warrior style course, the Simpsons Anniversary set up, etc. were all last year and really fun outside of the convention center.

I also always usually spend another weekend in San Diego after to relax (usually up by the beach at La Jolla), so I think just flying in and doing SDCC and flying home and going back to work could really leave you burnt out.

For up in the Northeast you could try PAX (which is this weekend and also huge), Anime Boston in a month or so, Boston Comic-Con, NYCC, and a bunch of others.

I'm going to PAX this weekend and I honestly don't like it as much as SDCC or most of the smaller conventions. It is super crowded like SDCC, but it doesn't have any of the outside activities and everything else right there like in SD.\

For any of the bigger cons you need to be ready to get tickets. SDCC sells out instantly. PAX weekend passes sell out in an hour and Saturdays are going in like 3 hours. NYCC also sells out, but I do not know how fast (I've never been, but may go next year).

My biggest advice for any Con is to have water. The amount of heat (and not to mention funk) generated by that many bodies in a crammed together will make it feel like a hot humid summer day.

MAGFest is a great convention that is popular, but not overcrowded like PAX & the Comic Con's in SD & NY. Takes place is January in DC & you should be able to take the train there from NY.

Hello,

I'm looking to travel more and both my girlfriend and I enjoy video games, movies, music, etc. I live in the "North" Northeast and anything New York or north I would drive to; outside of that I'd have to fly.

SDCC comes to mind, and keep in mind I've never been, but from what I've read it seems that these types of conventions have become so commercialized that you almost have to be an insider to get tickets and it becomes difficult to see and do everything because of how many people show up.

I'm just looking for advice on what events there are, when they are, and what people recommend in general.

We both have very flexible schedules and disposable income to burn. Location is probably the most important thing as it'd be nice to go to areas that also have an active nightlife and things to do/see as these would probably be 3-5 day trips.

Look forward to hearing what people have to say!
By "North" Northeast, I'm assuming you mean New England? I just came back from PAX East a few weeks ago and it was a good experience. I think in october there is a comicon in NYC and I hear that is also enjoyable. Being in NYC gives you plenty of access to night life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for the comments and it is certainly food for though. Yeah, by Northeast I mean NORTHERN New England. I'm not as big of a comic book guy as I was in my youth (I have a pretty sick collection but I just couldn't keep up with the explosion and lost interest) and never really got into anime.

Love video games, movies, and that sort of thing though and just want to start traveling more so it is always nice to be able to try and combine everything into one experience.

the other two PAX conventions are sold out/over, if video games are your thing, you may have to wait until next year.  There's E3 also, but it's $800/attendee.

Last edited by a moderator:
the other two PAX conventions are sold out/over, if video games are your thing, you may have to wait until next year. There's E3 also, but it's $800/attendee.
I know the major events like PAX and SDCC and probably NYCC will sell out instantly. It doesn't help that there is a second hand market for tickets.

I just need to figure out a way to A) learn when tickets go on sale B) make sure I remind myself to buy tickets

It just gets intimidating when you haven't been before and you need to come up with a plan just to get tickets because they sell out so quickly.

Then just like a highly desirable product release you get swarms of "comic book guy" that are only there to get things to scalp and the atmosphere gets overly aggressive and that's something I'd like to avoid if at all possible.

Again look into MAGFest in DC for next January. It doesn't sell out that I'm aware of and while there's vendors selling games (mainly retro) it's not selling anything exclusive like PAX or Comic Con.

I know the major events like PAX and SDCC and probably NYCC will sell out instantly. It doesn't help that there is a second hand market for tickets.
SDCC is suprisingly enough not sold out due to scalpers. I'm sure there are some out there, but it is much harder to scalp there then say PAX. For SDCC you have to show a picture ID to pick up your one badge and have to do it in person. Not like PAX when you get your s all in the mail for you and your group.

bread's done
Back