* * * * - 40 votes

XBL Deals - 2015

XBL Xbox One Xbox 360 Xbox Live Deals with Gold Games with Gold XBLA Games on Demand

#20701 B-Man   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   177 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:38 AM

Do you know if Windows Phone 8.1 devices are fully backwards compatible with Windows Phone 8 and Windows Phone 7 apps?

Also, would you say that the 512 MB RAM in the Nokia 520 affects the number of apps you can use? I read a little on how certain apps and games require at least 1 GB RAM to be able to download the app/game on the device. Did you ever encounter this problem? If so, I might just take your advice and get the Nokia 640 during Black Friday or whenever it goes on sale, so I don't have to worry about RAM compatibility.

I'd only use a no-contract Windows Phone for gaming & achievements.

I'm almost 100% sure that 8.1 is fully backwards compatible with 8 and 7 apps.  I suppose it might be possible that some WP7 apps don't work properly, but I doubt it and even if there are some they would be extremely rare.  Maybe some apps that are directly related to the features of the operating system, but I really don't think any games or anything like that are incompatible.

Yes, it is true that some games require at least 1GB of RAM and can't even be downloaded on the Lumia 520.  I'm not sure what percentage of games are 512MB-incompatible, but they certainly do exist.  Many of them are Xbox-enabled too, meaning that you would need a device with 1GB RAM to maximize your achievement-getting capability.

Even for games that are compatible with the Lumia 520, some of the more graphically intensive ones don't run all that well.  I would assume that you would generally have a much better gaming experience with the Lumia 640, due to not only having double the memory, but also a better processor.  This is not even to mention the far superior screen on the 640, which is an inch larger, has a higher resolution and pixel density, and has ClearBlack technology.

#20702 EldritchOnRye   Flim Flam Argle Bargle CAGiversary!   36695 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

EldritchOnRye

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:46 AM

I'm almost 100% sure that 8.1 is fully backwards compatible with 8 and 7 apps.  I suppose it might be possible that some WP7 apps don't work properly, but I doubt it and even if there are some they would be extremely rare.  Maybe some apps that are directly related to the features of the operating system, but I really don't think any games or anything like that are incompatible.

Officially this should be the case as that's what the developer documents they put out before the launch of WP8.1 said.  WP8.1 offered new ways to write programs for it that weren't compatible with the older versions but it still had full access to how programs were written for 7/8.  Though as mentioned there are likely exceptions for one reason or another.

I liked the 6-8 months I spent with the 635 for the most part.  If the hardware had been a little more modern mid-end and the camera was better (or there were any phones available with modern hardware and a high end camera) I probably would have stuck with it.

#20703 Sielanas  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:48 AM

If you're looking to get the Windows 10 Mobile update don't buy phones with 4GB internal memory or 512MB RAM. The first will probably not allow you to officially update your phone (even if MS said every phone will update they removed those phones from the supported devices list) and the second won't make you download some of the apps and will lock you out of Android app portings in the future

I have a 535 and if it wasn't for the broken touch-screen it would be the perfect smartphone for me. 1GB RAM, 8GB internal memory, SD card support, 5'' screen.

Very helpful, since that's what I would want - full Win 10 all around. I'm plenty happy with my OnePlus One, this would be for dicking around just because it's different.

#20704 B-Man   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   177 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:04 AM

If you're looking to get the Windows 10 Mobile update don't buy phones with 4GB internal memory or 512MB RAM. The first will probably not allow you to officially update your phone (even if MS said every phone will update they removed those phones from the supported devices list) and the second won't make you download some of the apps and will lock you out of Android app portings in the future

I have a 535 and if it wasn't for the broken touch-screen it would be the perfect smartphone for me. 1GB RAM, 8GB internal memory, SD card support, 5'' screen.

Are you sure that's true about 512MB phones lacking the Android-porting ability?  I thought that Candy Crush was ported to Windows Phone using an early version of that app porting tool and it runs perfectly fine on devices with 512MB RAM.

Like I said, I plan on getting a Lumia 640 anyway, but I'm just curious about this.

#20705 im_dany   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1132 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:09 AM

Are you sure that's true about 512MB phones lacking the Android-porting ability?  I thought that Candy Crush was ported to Windows Phone using an early version of that app porting tool and it runs perfectly fine on devices with 512MB RAM.

Like I said, I plan on getting a Lumia 640 anyway, but I'm just curious about this.

You can "force" the phone to download Astoria's SDK on every phone but afaik the only un-officially supported devices have 1 GB RAM (and the list doesn't even include all 1GB devices)

#20706 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7901 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:24 AM

I didn't like Fallout 3.

*ducks*

Fallout 3 is the only game that I liked so much that I didn't want to finish because I didn't want it to end.

#20707 blinknot4   Not My President CAGiversary!   5886 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:17 PM

I'll combine that last two topics, phones and Fallout.

New official Fallout keyboard/emoji app is now available for iPhone and Android. I installed it, then deleted it. But maybe some will like it.

iTunes: https://itunes.apple...1017881114?mt=8

Google Play: https://play.google....oft.falloutchat

#20708 AvengedBacklog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   13144 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

AvengedBacklog

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:20 PM

I am going to trade in my Xbox One this week to upgrade to the Forza console. Can you back up save data in the cloud? Don't really care about redownloading games, just want to make sure I don't lose any save data in the transfer.

#20709 cecilkilmer  

cecilkilmer

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:24 PM

I am going to trade in my Xbox One this week to upgrade to the Forza console. Can you back up save data in the cloud? Don't really care about redownloading games, just want to make sure I don't lose any save data in the transfer.

All your save data is backed up to the cloud automatically if your console is online when you play.

#20710 Inriri   Kung Fu Skeleton CAGiversary!   522 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:31 PM

Almost finished with Pneuma. Pretty easy and fast 1k GS for those that care about that.

#20711 AvengedBacklog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   13144 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

AvengedBacklog

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:38 PM

All your save data is backed up to the cloud automatically if your console is online when you play.

Oh perfect, then I should be all set! Thanks!

#20712 CodeTrader   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4365 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:03 PM

I never tried Fallout 3. I thought maybe I needed to play Fallout 1 and 2 first, but I guess those are not even on Xbox.

What about New Vegas? Is it suggested to play that before/after Fallout 3 or 4?

#20713 CaptainJoel   In Brightest Day CAGiversary!   15445 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

CaptainJoel

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:12 PM

I never tried Fallout 3. I thought maybe I needed to play Fallout 1 and 2 first, but I guess those are not even on Xbox.

What about New Vegas? Is it suggested to play that before/after Fallout 3 or 4?

New Vegas you can play whenever.  You'll get a little more out of it if you play 3 first, but after you play New Vegas you'll probably not want to play 3 because 3 is a worst game story-wise. 

And you'll probably not want to play them back to back. They're just too big for that to really be much fun.

#20714 blinknot4   Not My President CAGiversary!   5886 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:20 PM

Forza 6 x Fallout 4

1956 Ford F100 coming to Forza 6 for FREE today. Just like the Locke Mustang, this will be in your in-game message center. Trailer here.

W8fEAQ5.jpg?1

That's not all. In 2016 sometime, this will also be FREE in Forza 6.

t9ahYLb.png?1

#20715 Dustinator   Why hello....... CAGiversary!   1483 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Dustinator

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:22 PM

I've never played Fallout 3. And I have it on disc and digital. The thought of this huge, open world game consuming dozens of hours has been my main deterrent from playing. Same mindset with Skyrim, Borderlands, Dark Souls, GTA V, Dragon Age, Lost Odyssey, Saints Row IV, etc......The backlog is huge my fellow CAGs

#20716 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11419 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:28 PM

I didn't like Fallout 3.

*ducks*

I didn't like it either. The doomy atmosphere and the endless yellow/brown sludge of the graphics made it feel really oppressive-- which I realize is partly something they were going for, but for me it didn't make it fun to play. Also I hated the UI and a lot of the gameplay mechanics like weapons degrading and needing to be repaired were just super annoying to me. It's a little weird because I loved Skyrim (and to a slightly lesser extent Oblivion) and I realize that the games are all very mechanically similar. So I actually think that the streamlined/updated UI and less oppressive atmosphere of Fallout 4 might just do the trick for me. I'm looking forward to it.

#20717 pittsnoggle   Lord CAGiversary!   4355 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

pittsnoggle

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:30 PM

Does fallout 4 have weapon degradation? This is the feature I hate the most in previous bethsda games, so glad it was gone in skyrim

#20718 Dustinator   Why hello....... CAGiversary!   1483 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Dustinator

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:51 PM

Those that were complaining about CAGs being rightfully upset with receiving a partial GWG freebie remind me of the people who go around saying "WHO CARES?!?!" as they raise their hands and roll their eyes. There's obviously people who DO care as they voiced their dissatisfaction and induced change since the VIP Pass became free. Those individuals probably don't comprehend the larger picture as others have pointed out, that it can become the norm going forward and gimp other freebies. Who knows, it could actually be a game they one day care about that hasn't been spliced into pieces and have those "complainers/whiners" to thank.

Unsung heroes remain unsung I guess. I for one, would like to commend those who had a voice and shared their displeasure with the crap business model Codemasters/Microsoft snuck in. I truly believe us speaking up and something as simple as expressing your opinion on the internet led to this change.

#20719 Inriri   Kung Fu Skeleton CAGiversary!   522 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:52 PM

I've never played Fallout 3. And I have it on disc and digital. The thought of this huge, open world game consuming dozens of hours has been my main deterrent from playing. Same mindset with Skyrim, Borderlands, Dark Souls, GTA V, Dragon Age, Lost Odyssey, Saints Row IV, etc......The backlog is huge my fellow CAGs

Dark Souls isn't really big. It's just connected so well that it tricks you into thinking it's a much longer journey.

#20720 KnightOfTruth   Suikoden Collector CAGiversary!   1609 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

KnightOfTruth

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:53 PM

Anyone here ever use Banana Play Store to purchase XBL cards (or the such) before? They seem to have some good reviews, but was just curious if any CAGs have ever used it?  12 months of XBL for $33 seems like a steal to me though! Here's the link that I was using?

http://www.bananapla...ear-membership?

My renewal is up soon, so just trying to avoid paying the outrageous $60 if I can.

Edit: Removed whatever referral link was there from where I found it (Google)

#20721 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7901 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:39 PM

Those that were complaining about CAGs being rightfully upset with receiving a partial GWG freebie remind me of the people who go around saying "WHO CARES?!?!" as they raise their hands and roll their eyes. There's obviously people who DO care as they voiced their dissatisfaction and induced change since the VIP Pass became free. Those individuals probably don't comprehend the larger picture as others have pointed out, that it can become the norm going forward and gimp other freebies. Who knows, it could actually be a game they one day care about that hasn't been spliced into pieces and have those "complainers/whiners" to thank.

Unsung heroes remain unsung I guess. I for one, would like to commend those who had a voice and shared their displeasure with the crap business model Codemasters/Microsoft snuck in. I truly believe us speaking up and something as simple as expressing your opinion on the internet lead to this change.

I've only been on Xbox Live since around this time last year but I still haven't played a game online against anyone yet. Hence, I didn't get pissed about Dirt 3. Just chucked it into the backlog as I have with most of the other GWG offerings.

#20722 pun123   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3365 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:46 PM

I believe that's the needed item for online play causing the prior ruckus.  Did prior online purchases of Dirt 3 include the VIP Pass as part of the main game download?  I actually bought Dirt 3 online for about $5 awhile back (never played it), but the VIP Pass was not showing as purchased.  Either way, it's another treasure for the pyramid I'll be buried in...

Saw that the VIP was free also, so grabbed it last night, can't wait for BC games

#20723 bob101910   Cammy's Cat CAGiversary!   4291 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:17 PM

I've only been on Xbox Live since around this time last year but I still haven't played a game online against anyone yet. Hence, I didn't get pissed about Dirt 3.

If people didn't complain, eventually we'd get a game with singleplayer removed.

Fallout and Battlefront next week. Still need to play Halo 5, but always rented out. The first episode of Ash vs. Evil Dead is free to watch with the Starz app on Xbox One. Not bad for a pilot. Some really good practical and cg effects. Then there is plenty of worse than Syfy (Is this really how they've been spelling it?) Channel cg that makes the rest look bad. I'm hoping that was just a pilot thing and it gets better later. Watch the "making of" at the end. Only 2 minutes and shows how some of the effects that I thought were cg, were actually practical and looked really good. Story is bad and acting is purposefully cheesy (or at least I hope it is purposeful).

#20724 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   11169 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:24 PM

If people didn't complain, eventually we'd get a game with singleplayer removed.

Fallout and Battlefront next week. Still need to play Halo 5, but always rented out. The first episode of Ash vs. Evil Dead is free to watch with the Starz app on Xbox One. Not bad for a pilot. Some really good practical and cg effects. Then there is plenty of worse than Syfy (Is this really how they've been spelling it?) Channel cg that makes the rest look bad. I'm hoping that was just a pilot thing and it gets better later. Watch the "making of" at the end. Only 2 minutes and shows how some of the effects that I thought were cg, were actually practical and looked really good. Story is bad and acting is purposefully cheesy (or at least I hope it is purposeful).

If the story were good and the acting weren't cheesy, I wouldn't be interested.

#20725 cancerman1120   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10835 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

cancerman1120

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:28 PM

So I guess Halo is still king for MS.  I am sure there is some very specific PR speak in there but $400 million on games and hardware for the week is still good.  Still trading my copy in today.

http://news.xbox.com...nch-in-history/

#20726 FissFiss   Meow CAGiversary!   8638 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:47 PM

So I guess Halo is still king for MS.  I am sure there is some very specific PR speak in there but $400 million on games and hardware for the week is still good.  Still trading my copy in today.

http://news.xbox.com...nch-in-history/

Do it!

I felt remorse for about 20min...now I feel nothing...since BLOPS3 in 2 DAYS!

#20727 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11419 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:52 PM

Does fallout 4 have weapon degradation? This is the feature I hate the most in previous bethsda games, so glad it was gone in skyrim

From what I've read, it does not (yay!).

#20728 elmo-m  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:06 PM

Do it!

I felt remorse for about 20min...now I feel nothing...since BLOPS3 in 2 DAYS!

Yea all my other games will be forgot about for a while. Mine shipped early so will have it tomorrow :)

#20729 blinknot4   Not My President CAGiversary!   5886 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:08 PM

... BLOPS3 in 2 DAYS!

I have the digital deluxe preloaded and am ready for Thursday at midnight.
I hope I run into you out there. Preferably on opposing teams.

#20730 FissFiss   Meow CAGiversary!   8638 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:09 PM

Yea all my other games will be forgot about for a while. Mine shipped early so will have it tomorrow :)

I hate you...and hope your console dies....

jk that's mean :/