* * * - - 2 votes

Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked Permanent Price Drop - $30

best buy gamers club unlocked gcu

#1 litepink   it was love at first sight CAGiversary!   2959 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:39 PM

fo_mybbyGamersclub0323.gif
$30 Gamers Club Unlocked

• Save 20% on new video games, receive 10% bonus trade-in credit on games, plus other benefits. Terms and conditions apply. In-store activation required.

Was $99.99, now $30 for two years. Begins March 8th:
https://corporate.be...-club-unlocked/

Membership benefits:
http://www.bestbuy.c...cat338600050004

20% off new games, 10% off pre-owned, 10% extra trade-in credit, B2G1 Free Coupon and 50% off strategy guide coupon in Welcome Packet/email. Discount not applicable for consoles or accessories, but works on interactive gaming figures like amiibo, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders.

FAQ

#2 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3628 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:44 PM

I can't help but think this must represent how successful it's been. It's crazy to think the that they will thin their margins that much based on how savvy a CAGer might use it but if it increases purchases enough it might work.

It still can't compete with waiting for clearance but I've definitely saved more than the $30 I spent considering I've played new games that would take a few months to drop below the GCU price.

#3 synnarc   Lord of the VRAM CAGiversary!   1573 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:47 PM

Hopefully they don't make changes to the program to reflect the new reduced cost. I'm pretty sure this place would explode with hatred if they changed it to not work with sale prices or something silly.

#4 AvengedBacklog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   13144 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

AvengedBacklog

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:50 PM

I really wonder if they will keep the 20% off new games...it just doesn't seem profitable for them at this point.

#5 Gamer SDP   not much of a gamer CAGiversary!   4969 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:51 PM

wow. I really think Best Buy is offering too good of a price point. $60 seems better for them and still fair for consumers. not sure how this will play out in the "long run". I expect double the amount of stupid users on the bb forums.

#6 Rob19ny  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:54 PM

$30? WTF! Late last year, I bought it for...$30. Nice. Don't change anything.

#7 genesis49  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:57 PM

This seems like one of those too good to be true deals
Wonder how far from bankruptcy they are. Wouldn't want to be spending money on a club that will be gone next year

#8 ritchardf  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:58 PM

now i feel ripped off paying $30 for it

#9 bostonfrontier  

bostonfrontier

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:01 PM

Glad I didn't get more than 2 years worth.... Who knows what will change in the program

#10 Kain   Dragoon CAGiversary!   1210 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:09 PM

Gamers Club Unlocked has been the biggest joke to me on this site for the longest time now.  My BestBuy has been drastically downsizing its movie and games section for over a year and a half now.  They used to have a full aisle for each platform, and over a dozen full aisles of movies.  Now they've got about 1/3rd of an aisle dedicated to a particular system and the movies department has maybe four or five aisles.  It's impossible to find any movies there that aren't brand new releases, and even then, it has to be a blockbuster.

I talked to a guy there a couple years ago when I was looking for a Blu that they didn't have in stock and he said that BestBuy was about to start phasing out media because "everyone is buying their movies and games digitally now."  I didn't believe BestBuy would be that stupid, but apparently it seems like that's true.  "Turn on the Fun" is now "Turn on the...washing machine?"

I suspect anyone buying a GCU account now won't be able to use it in-store within six months, atleast at mine, unless they're buying a day-one $60 game.

Rant over.

#11 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4428 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:11 PM

This makes me feel like they will drop the discount to 10% off. I've definitely gotten my $30 worth already though, so I am not mad and I am also glad that I didn't add more time to GCU now. Really crossing my fingers that they keep the 20% off because 10% is only good for taking care of the sales tax. 

#12 ghost1914  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:20 PM

If they change it all those people who subbed until 2100 are gonna be mad lol

#13 MR_E   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1953 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:26 PM

People I know that work at Best Buy have told me that pretty much nobody bought it at $120.  I guess almost everyone that's signed up has done it during the free to $30 promos, anyway.  So it's probably a "screw it, whatever" move if anything.

#14 hauz20   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1166 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:36 PM

Gamers Club Unlocked has been the biggest joke to me on this site for the longest time now. My BestBuy has been drastically downsizing its movie and games section for over a year and a half now. They used to have a full aisle for each platform, and over a dozen full aisles of movies. Now they've got about 1/3rd of an aisle dedicated to a particular system and the movies department has maybe four or five aisles. It's impossible to find any movies there that aren't brand new releases, and even then, it has to be a blockbuster.

I talked to a guy there a couple years ago when I was looking for a Blu that they didn't have in stock and he said that BestBuy was about to start phasing out media because "everyone is buying their movies and games digitally now." I didn't believe BestBuy would be that stupid, but apparently it seems like that's true. "Turn on the Fun" is now "Turn on the...washing machine?"

I suspect anyone buying a GCU account now won't be able to use it in-store within six months, atleast at mine, unless they're buying a day-one $60 game.

Rant over.

Much of what you write is true, but ... GCU can be used on the website too ...

#15 legendarydogs   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1251 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

legendarydogs

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:37 PM

Glad I got in on the $7 2 year deal.

#16 Karkian   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   168 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:38 PM

And you can avoid shipping by having them ship it to your local store. Some people just like to rant.

#17 sovereignNX-73811   rolling (over) back in style CAGiversary!   5692 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

sovereignNX-73811

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:40 PM

I did 6 years for about $42 during the phone glitch and when it went down to $30 some time in September last year. I've managed to make the thing pay for itself with the trading, points, and the 20% discount so I've no regrets as I've already made it pay for itself. 

But still this is a sign that makes me question if BBY will even hold out two more years, let alone six.

#18 cannon  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:54 PM

Wouldn't they be losing money after you do a few of those pre-order bonus points plus get 20% off?

#19 Kain   Dragoon CAGiversary!   1210 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:55 PM

And you can avoid shipping by having them ship it to your local store. Some people just like to rant.

I do like to rant sometimes, that is true.  But to be honest, the "Ship to store" option rarely shows up when I want to buy something, maybe 2% of the time.  In most cases, it's "not available in-store".  Admittedly, though, in most cases, what I've wanted to buy are Blu-Rays.  Last time I wanted to order a game from Bestbuy was when I was trying to get in on that B2G1 they had before Christmas.  Wanted Bioshock Infinite Complete (PS3), Kingdom Hearts 2.5 (PS3) and Akiba's Trip (PS4).  Guess which one wasn't listed on the website and which two weren't available in-store...

#20 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4428 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:58 PM

People I know that work at Best Buy have told me that pretty much nobody bought it at $120.  I guess almost everyone that's signed up has done it during the free to $30 promos, anyway.  So it's probably a "screw it, whatever" move if anything.

Yeah I couldn't imagine anyone payin $120 for it. After all the discounts they have had on it anyone who doesn't have it already would have likely waited until another sale at $30 or less to get it anyway. Smart move on Best Buy's part to sell the program and really bring more people into the store, I usually end up getting a game and a Blu-Ray when I go in, so it's working as far as getting me into the store goes. 

#21 FlyingMonkey9   Genetically Modified CAG CAGiversary!   4138 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

FlyingMonkey9

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:00 PM

Best 30 dollars you could spend if youre a gamer IMO.

#22 Firmbizbws  

Firmbizbws

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:00 PM

Can you use it online and if so, how do you buy games with it? Like do you have to put in a code at checkout?

#23 Brash_Attack   Emperor Banana CAGiversary!   2220 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Brash_Attack

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:02 PM

Can you use it online and if so, how do you buy games with it? Like do you have to put in a code at checkout?

Yeah, it works online too. The program just links to your account so whenever you sign in, you automatically get 20% off all new games. 

#24 CAG of Duty  

CAG of Duty

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:04 PM

Its tied with your rewards account. So when you sign up it connects with it, when you shop online and log into your account the gcu benefits are automatically applied, you can see it when you add a game to your cart.

#25 Firmbizbws  

Firmbizbws

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:05 PM

Its tied with your rewards account. So when you sign up it connects with it, when you shop online and log into your account the gcu benefits are automatically applied, you can see it when you add a game to your cart.

Oh ok awesome, thanks for the responses guys

#26 tearsintherain  

tearsintherain

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:07 PM

my guess is at some point this year or next best buy is going to stop dealing in used games or massively discount the prices they pay, which will break the Best Buy "cycle" for most of us and hence make GCU a lot less useful for people.  This is just the first step - get a ton of people paying an extra $30 and buying more games, then stop paying high prices for used games.

#27 Dunder   You can't handle my undivided attention. CAGiversary!   1056 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:08 PM

Best Buy drops the price on a great program they benefits gamers and out come the conspiracy theorists. I guess that's the Internet for ya.

With the overstuffed 2015 release calendar, the $30 investment will easily pay for itself before the year is over.
Great investment to make, regardless of what changes may or may not happen.

#28 Karkian   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   168 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:09 PM

I do like to rant sometimes, that is true.  But to be honest, the "Ship to store" option rarely shows up when I want to buy something, maybe 2% of the time.  In most cases, it's "not available in-store".  Admittedly, though, in most cases, what I've wanted to buy are Blu-Rays.  Last time I wanted to order a game from Bestbuy was when I was trying to get in on that B2G1 they had before Christmas.  Wanted Bioshock Infinite Complete (PS3), Kingdom Hearts 2.5 (PS3) and Akiba's Trip (PS4).  Guess which one wasn't listed on the website and which two weren't available in-store...

I can't comment on Blu-rays since I rarely buy movies anymore, but I can see people having a problem finding Japanese games at best buy. I don't even think my best buy carried any copies of Tales of Xillia 2 at all. For most western games though I haven't had a problem with shipping to store or finding a copy at my store.

#29 Kain   Dragoon CAGiversary!   1210 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:38 PM

I can't comment on Blu-rays since I rarely buy movies anymore, but I can see people having a problem finding Japanese games at best buy. I don't even think my best buy carried any copies of Tales of Xillia 2 at all. For most western games though I haven't had a problem with shipping to store or finding a copy at my store.

I tend to buy Blus a lot more than games now that most games have DLC and Season Passes and I've wised up and learned to wait for Complete Editions.  Believe it or not, though, Bestbuy had both the PS3 and Vita of Akiba listed but not the PS4 edition.  :(

#30 chess227   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   99 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

chess227

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:39 PM

I think this is brilliant by Best Buy.  I haven't purchased a single game or amiibo anywhere since I signed up back when they first offered it and I got the awesome @gamer magazine coupons.  Every time I see a deal somewhere like amazon, I look at best buy and realize I can get it cheaper with my GCU discount.  They have stolen every bit of my gaming business away from amazing.  I'm pretty sure getting repeat customers is the reason they are giving this away for so cheap.  I don't see them making any changes to the program either.  It's really a smart move on their part all around.

What I do could possibly see them doing, however, is games that used to go on sale for 14.99 would probably be 19.99 now or games that were 7.99 would be 9.99.... Either way, if they are the cheapest place offering the game with my discount... I'm going there.  

Great program.  If you don't have it... Get it.