* * * - - 2 votes

Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked Permanent Price Drop - $30

best buy gamers club unlocked gcu

#271 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   16282 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:26 PM

I feel it could change in the future, but I think whoever has it before they change it will be fine and grandfathered in,I don't think they could change it for current members anytime soon due to "bait and switch" laws

I saw the bat signal.

#272 Nax5   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   643 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:41 PM

Membership already paid off after my first purchase. Obvious discount from GCU on Final Fantasy pre-order, and I used all the welcome coupons I could since they expired on the 20th. Additional 5 off the game and got the hardcover guide for half off (which was already discounted by $10 for some reason). Pretty awesome savings =).

#273 Rirse   The Death of Grammar CAGiversary!   684 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:54 AM

I got a question, I picked up a pre-order card for Bloodborne for next week so I can get the pre-order bonus while I pay for it the day of release since I am getting a Reward Coupon that day. But will the GCU will be discounted when I pay for it, including the $5 I put down? I ask since the pre-order stated I still owed $59 after the $5, meaning the GCU wasn't used.

#274 s2k   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1205 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:59 AM

I got a question, I picked up a pre-order card for Bloodborne for next week so I can get the pre-order bonus while I pay for it the day of release since I am getting a Reward Coupon that day. But will the GCU will be discounted when I pay for it, including the $5 I put down? I ask since the pre-order stated I still owed $59 after the $5, meaning the GCU wasn't used.

you'll get the discount at the time of pick up. you can pay for it in full for 59.99+tax, and at the time of pick up you'll get your 20% back in whatever form of payment you used.

#275 Rirse   The Death of Grammar CAGiversary!   684 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:42 AM

you'll get the discount at the time of pick up. you can pay for it in full for 59.99+tax, and at the time of pick up you'll get your 20% back in whatever form of payment you used.

Okay thank you for telling me this. I was just a little worried that I might screw myself out of the GCU discount.

#276 RistoGriffith   CAG Ultra Noob CAGiversary!   119 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

RistoGriffith

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:06 AM

I haven't read anything past the first few pages where someone said they don't understand how best buy makes any money off this now.. It's pretty simple. The discount is 20% off.. All they have to do is sell 20% more games to break even. To overly simplify it, the 30$ is all profit. Then the person who paid 30$ just needs to spend 20% more at best buy than they normally would on games - if you NEVER buy any games at Best Buy, but you buy one from there now, they've already made more of a profit than they would have made if you continued buying all your games at gamestop or amazon.

#277 Bleedingwickedly   CAG CAGiversary!   2754 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Bleedingwickedly

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:44 AM

Okay thank you for telling me this. I was just a little worried that I might screw myself out of the GCU discount.

Also when you go pick up your game, make sure they take the $5 you already put down off the price. It seems to be a normal issue with instore preorders at BB. Personally I just preorder from the site, and occasionally do store pick up.

#278 guessed   Newbie CAGiversary!   8500 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:00 PM

I haven't read anything past the first few pages where someone said they don't understand how best buy makes any money off this now.. It's pretty simple. The discount is 20% off.. All they have to do is sell 20% more games to break even. To overly simplify it, the 30$ is all profit. Then the person who paid 30$ just needs to spend 20% more at best buy than they normally would on games - if you NEVER buy any games at Best Buy, but you buy one from there now, they've already made more of a profit than they would have made if you continued buying all your games at gamestop or amazon.

I'm sorry, but that is also sorts of wrong, and shows a lack of understanding of both math and business. For example, you are treating revenue as profit, ignoring profit margins, and the 20% in the 2 sections I've bolded do not mean the same thing as each other, but you seem to think they do. I will concede your point that if someone who never buys any games from BB pays $30 for GCU and then buys only 1 game then BB comes out ahead (and the consumer in that example clearly loses), but that is a pretty weak example. If their profit margin usually nets them more than $12 on a $60 game, then it will take them a lot longer to break even on a GCU member buying just games.

#279 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2782 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:11 PM

I'm sorry, but that is also sorts of wrong, and shows a lack of understanding of both math and business. For example, you are treating revenue as profit, ignoring profit margins, and the 20% in the 2 sections I've bolded do not mean the same thing as each other, but you seem to think they do. I will concede your point that if someone who never buys any games from BB pays $30 for GCU and then buys only 1 game then BB comes out ahead (and the consumer in that example clearly loses), but that is a pretty weak example. If their profit margin usually nets them more than $12 on a $60 game, then it will take them a lot longer to break even on a GCU member buying just games.

Right, profit margins on games are notoriously thin to begin with (hence the used market being gamestop's Thang) and so with GCU they're not making much at all on most sales. Hell, with the $10 cert promos they're almost certainly losing money.

But he is right that, in cases like my own, where I never bought games there before but exclusively do now, they do come out ahead, even if it's in small increments.

#280 TheOpusFuller   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   771 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

TheOpusFuller

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:17 PM

The above is true. I'm a "Buyer" for a large company and media has probably the WORST profit margins. The WORST! You have to take into account landed costs and margins. Landed costs isn't just the cost of the goods being sold but also freight, etc. So even if they are making $12 per game that may or may not even factor in additional costs. Shipping, etc. 

The reason why BB offers a GCU is because they want one simple thing, a customer to purchase from them and continue to purchase from them. Once they have you as a customer they can try to upsell you on other things, or when you get that $5 cert, you feel inclined to make a purchase in order to use it, a purchase a regular customer may not have made initially. There are so many tactics it's not even funny but that's the nature of retail.

Unlike clothing where the more units you buy, the company gets a price break, I don' think media has pricing tiers. If Best Buy purchases 100 games or 1000 games, their cost is still the same. but apparel, if you buy 144 units, cost may be $6. If you buy 360 cost may be $5 and if you buy 1000 units cost may be $4.50 increasing margins.

#281 Saix_XIII   Video Game Addict CAGiversary!   6688 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:11 PM

I saw this guys post around when he made it and it was too late for me to even begin to respond, I was hoping by the time I got on CAG after I woke up someone else would have addressed it. Thanks!

#282 fujishig   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   947 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

fujishig

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:06 PM

Anyone's GCU not showing up anymore?  I just bought some games on bestbuy.com yesterday, but when I added a few to my cart today, no discount, and it doesn't show up in my account...

#283 elessar123  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:27 PM

Just checked mine. Mine's still there.

#284 fujishig   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   947 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

fujishig

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:04 PM

Hmm... it's back now.  probably just a site glitch.

#285 domoniccc  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:07 PM

Hmm... it's back now. probably just a site glitch.

Where's

T
H.....

Jk

#286 SrDiesel49  

SrDiesel49

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:55 PM

ya bestbuy is changing the site yet again. seems like they change it way too much. 

#287 krishna_malladi   You seem familiar, did I annoy you before? CAGiversary!   4095 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

krishna_malladi

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:58 PM

Please do not complain about Best Buy or their web site, we've had some of the best glitches from those guys. Show some respect.

#288 abbabaab   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1952 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:16 PM

Please do not complain about Best Buy or their web site, we've had some of the best glitches from those guys. Show some respect.

What if they're changing the web site to prevent further glitches?

#289 krishna_malladi   You seem familiar, did I annoy you before? CAGiversary!   4095 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

krishna_malladi

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:22 PM

What if they're changing the web site to prevent further glitches?

Those Fuck ing bastards!!!  lol

#290 Kenshindono   I'm on a Boat! CAGiversary!   4714 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Kenshindono

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:07 PM

ya bestbuy is changing the site yet again. seems like they change it way too much. 

I hate the new layout. UNlike amazon it doesn't tell you if you bought an item before. I used to be able to just go to past orders and skim them to see if id bought anything with a ctrl+f search. But the new layout makes you click on every single order individually to see whats in it.... i buy a LOT of shit. It makes it a nightmare to double check what i've bought or not before and if im at my 3 game limit

#291 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:26 PM

They need to fix the android app first.  On two different phones, the app crashes constantly for me.

#292 SrDiesel49  

SrDiesel49

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:38 PM

They need to fix the android app first.  On two different phones, the app crashes constantly for me.

android is completely f*cked since recent OS updates its horrible. i feel like they RROD my phone lol.

#293 elessar123  

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:35 PM

The Best Buy Android app has been like that for years. It has nothing to do with recent Android updates.

#294 SrDiesel49  

SrDiesel49

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:33 PM

The Best Buy Android app has been like that for years. It has nothing to do with recent Android updates.

actually it does the OS update has a whole laundry lists of issues and the best buy app was never this flakey in the previous OS. The problems started with lollipop in nov 2014 and have continued ever since. 

#295 elessar123  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:49 PM

actually it does the OS update has a whole laundry lists of issues and the best buy app was never this flakey in the previous OS. The problems started with lollipop in nov 2014 and have continued ever since. 

It really, really doesn't. I'm on KitKat, not on Lollipop.

#296 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49877 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:16 PM

It really, really doesn't. I'm on KitKat, not on Lollipop.

I'm also on KitKat and the BB app is as flakey as a biscuit fresh out of the oven.