* * * - - 2 votes

Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked Permanent Price Drop - $30

best buy gamers club unlocked gcu

#61 WNYX585AM   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3508 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:17 PM

Not necessarily.  So far, I've only used my GCU for my maximum 3 copies of MH4U that also came with the $10 gift card.  I only need to spend $30 more dollars on video games to recoup my $30 investment.  I still buy wherever the best price is for games I want, whether it's Best Buy, Target, Walmart, eBay, Amazon, Half.com, Dell.com, etc.

Rarely has the Best Buy price, even with the 20% GCU discount, been low enough to make me bite.

Your exception seems to validate that the program could be very successful for them financially.  People like me only shop there because of GCU.  People like you paid for GCU and may not even get your money's worth out of it.  Seems like win/win for Best Buy.

Obviously, it's not nearly that simple, but interesting, nonetheless.

#62 no658ea3   Come at me Bro, I'm Hubert CAGiversary!   6170 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:20 PM

I'm good tell 2022 so I don't need this.

#63 Rick4Life  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:21 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Where all the haters who gave me flack for calling them out on buying 4+ years?!

#64 elessar123  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:22 PM

What if they drop the discount to 10% but let GCU members preorder first?

dun dun dun

Edit:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Where all the haters who gave me flack for calling them out on buying 4+ years?!

I bought 4 years for $60 total. Why would I be hating? On the second subscription, the game guide coupon alone recouped me half the cost already.

#65 Bleedingwickedly   CAG CAGiversary!   2754 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Bleedingwickedly

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:24 PM

I've only have had Unlocked for a little over a year and have bought over 50 games. Especially if the game is in the Preorder for $10 Back Bonus. Over have of those games I wouldn't have even purchased at launch but did because with GCU and other Promos the game wouldn't be that cheap for at least a few months.

GCU is a blessing and a curse. And BB gets all of my gaming ca$h. Even with my closest store being 45 minutes away, I'd still rather order online.

#66 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12574 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:30 PM

Just curious: Has anyone bought used games from BBY before? Over here where I am not only is the selection bad but the prices are higher than GS. 

I bought My Japanese Coach a couple years ago from bb.com. It came in a replacement case. They've had decent sales on used games, some were even flips to gs.

#67 UcanSUKtheFAC   Banned Banned   1304 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

UcanSUKtheFAC

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:32 PM

I can't help but think this must represent how successful it's been. 

Economics 101 tells us that GCU has only been successful in retaining customers who already have it; they have failed, however, at raising awareness and getting people on board. This is why the price is so low; not enough people are biting.

#68 sovereignNX-73811   rolling (over) back in style CAGiversary!   5692 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

sovereignNX-73811

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:35 PM

Once, during their B2G1 used game promo. Bought Drakengard 3, Deception IV, and Demon Gaze for like <$60 total.

Other than that... not really, cause their selection almost always suck.

I only bought it when they had B2G1F (or was it B1G1F) promo. But yeah, they compete well with GS on the prices of those pre-owned games.

And considering that you're the only two that replied I must assume no one else could find even one used game at BBY worth buying?

And if you're lucky, new Vita games can be cheaper than the used ones, lol. 

#69 chingychink   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   277 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

chingychink

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:36 PM

Game. Changer.

#70 OmniscientlyMe   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   76 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

OmniscientlyMe

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:39 PM

I think some of the people in this thread underestimate the margins on new games, let alone used ones. Plus there's always going to be that portion of subscribers that never save more than they paid for the subscription.

#71 Unholy_Headbanger   CAG Best Buy Employee CAGiversary!   1767 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Unholy_Headbanger

It's a no brainer for them. People with GCU will exclusively shop at Best Buy for their games, they are probably selling 10x as many copies and earning boat loads of money from the hardware and software companies for selling so many games and pre orders.

#72 kraftwerks   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1235 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

kraftwerks

It's less about making money and more about bottoming out your competition. It's not a secret that retailers don't make a lot off of game sales, it's always been a volume thing. If Best Buy can drive enough volume away from other stores, other stores may drop out of gaming (as many have already). Also, since it's a membership and not a sale, BB doesn't have to worry about losing customers to price matching.  If I hate BB, but I can get X cheaper there than anywhere else, I (and most of America) will get over my personal feelings and go to BB. 

In the end, the dollar will always win. It's just BB trying to kill competition. 

#73 Boss   [Removed by Admin] CAGiversary!   2018 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:41 PM

Now lets see what the next GCU sale will be priced at.  :D/

#74 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49878 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:44 PM

I know that since I've had GCU, a lot more of my gaming money, both pre-orders and non-preorders, has been going to BB.  The 20% discount, coupled with the $10 RZ certs, had me preordering a number of games at BB when I'm not planning on preordering.

Coupled with Elite Plus My RZ membership and double RZ points on gaming purchases, it's certainly worth using.

#75 krishna_malladi   You seem familiar, did I annoy you before? CAGiversary!   4104 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

krishna_malladi

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:44 PM

haha, thats the point, innit. There wont be a GCU sale (meaning, sale on GCU) ever. It is going to be $30 for the rest of its life time, however long that is.

#76 sovereignNX-73811   rolling (over) back in style CAGiversary!   5692 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

sovereignNX-73811

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:45 PM

$0.99 with the purchase of a PS4/XBone/Wii U. I called it first.

#77 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:55 PM

$0.99 with the purchase of a PS4/XBone/Wii U. I called it first.

Still will never beat the free with any prepaid cell phone deal a while back.

#78 PeeDeeJay   Who stole my hat? CAGiversary!   760 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

PeeDeeJay

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:57 PM

Economics 101 tells us that GCU has only been successful in retaining customers who already have it; they have failed, however, at raising awareness and getting people on board. This is why the price is so low; not enough people are biting.

Or there's a huge influx of people who buy it when it does go on sale as opposed to it's "retail" price. Either way, I could care less, I've saved way more money on the games I buy compared to what I paid for a membership.

#79 MPoWeRM3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1884 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:12 PM

Some of you sound like you want Best Buy to go bankrupt. I for one don't want to see it since it's pretty much the last full electronics chain that's nationwide.

#80 sovereignNX-73811   rolling (over) back in style CAGiversary!   5692 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

sovereignNX-73811

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:15 PM

Still will never beat the free with any prepaid cell phone deal a while back.

Gotta admit, that was great. What isn't so great about that is I have a prepaid phone and SIM card kit that's collecting dust at home. I suppose I'll just leave it around since I only paid $15 for the two.

#81 UcanSUKtheFAC   Banned Banned   1304 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

UcanSUKtheFAC

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:34 PM

It's less about making money and more about bottoming out your competition. 

You're missing another huge component - getting foot traffic

#82 UcanSUKtheFAC   Banned Banned   1304 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

UcanSUKtheFAC

Some of you sound like you want Best Buy to go bankrupt. I for one don't want to see it since it's pretty much the last full electronics chain that's nationwide.

I haven't seen a single post here implying that...

#83 SpraykwoN   the Chef CAGiversary!   3086 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  It opens up the consumer base.  You gotta think of it like this, Best Buy gets games at a cheaper cost than what us consumers pay.  While they take a 20% hit on each game, they sell a $30 membership.  In the large scope of things, they most likely will end up at the same point as they are now. People weren't buying the $120 membership, and were waiting for the $30 one anyways, so it makes sense.  More memberships sold + more games sold because of the membership = more revenue as a whole.  Smart move on their part.

#84 shosaisyu   Waster of Monies CAGiversary!   163 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

shosaisyu

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:41 PM

GCU is shitty. Best buy limits their stock so hard it's impossible to use it on anything decent. They routinely ship preorders a week to three after release , even when you have preordered the game months in advance.

I expect GCU now being cheap is just going to make best buy make sure they don't get any CE so their profit margins stay high. lol.

#85 Blumpkin   Lunar Lander CAGiversary!   3098 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:42 PM

So... chances the benefits tank?

#86 Jaymoney8518   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   145 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Jaymoney8518

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:43 PM

I paid $60 for it last summer and made insane amounts of money back. I would've happily paid $200 for it had I known how much I'd profit from it.

#87 Blumpkin   Lunar Lander CAGiversary!   3098 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:43 PM

GCU is shitty. Best buy limits their stock so hard it's impossible to use it on anything decent. They routinely ship preorders a week to three after release , even when you have preordered the game months in advance.

All these things are untrue.

#88 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22715 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:50 PM

I rarely shopped BBY because of how terrible my local stores are. It wasn't until GCU that I started going back regularly. Local stores are still garbage and I do most of my BBY shopping online. 

So... chances the benefits tank?

I think that's what everyone's thinking. At best, I'd wager we're gonna see the discount limit from 3 games down to 1. At worse, the discount amount drops to 10%. 

I mean, really, since Amazon now collects tax in roughly half the states, the playing field for games in pretty much level in terms of prices on new games since there's no "tax free" advantage for a lot of people. Target, Walmart, TRU, and Gamestop are non-factors when it comes to new games. 

#89 chuckinkc   Childish CAGbino CAGiversary!   1336 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:51 PM

I expect GCU now being cheap is just going to make best buy make sure they don't get any CE so their profit margins stay high. lol.

My BB always has like 1-2 copies of every non-major game, but if you order online-to-store, it's usually not a problem.

#90 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:56 PM

Your exception seems to validate that the program could be very successful for them financially.  People like me only shop there because of GCU.  People like you paid for GCU and may not even get your money's worth out of it.  Seems like win/win for Best Buy.

Obviously, it's not nearly that simple, but interesting, nonetheless.

True but I will spend the remaining $30, as I now have those gift cards.  This year on BF, they had some of the better gaming deals for pretty much anything gaming that's not a 3DS (Target was the best for all of those $15 games, with Walmart following with their $150 3DS XL with NSMB 2 digital).  If I combine GCU with their other deals for BF either in 2015 or 2016, I will recoup all of this money and then some.  They will not be making much, if any, money off me.  But that's always my goal =)

I'm guessing that they will still make money off of this.  Many people still make impulse buys (for things like the ridiculously priced snacks by the registers).  Also, many people won't go to multiple stores to get what they need (or it isn't worth it if their stores are far apart), so they'll just buy everything they need in one store.  Getting people into the store is the biggest hurdle, so this accomplishes that.

There will also be many people who willsign up for this and either don't use it or mostly use it for MSRP stuff (thinking they're getting a game for the "amazing' price of $48, only to realize it needs several GBs of updates in addition to needing several $15 DLC purchases to continue using the game, e.g. Destiny).

I think there are enough dumb/lazy people or those unlucky enough to have multiple stores close by them people out there for BB to make money off of this, even at $30.