* * * - - 2 votes

Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked Permanent Price Drop - $30

best buy gamers club unlocked gcu

#91 ScottsUSERID   G.I. Jew CAGiversary!   3690 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

ScottsUSERID

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:01 PM

I think this is the beginning of the end for Best Buy.  Just like I read Target is cutting thousands of jobs....something just is off to me.  Years ago when Game Crazy went under they cut their MVP membership to 5 dollars for a last desperation cash grab before announcing the end.  I think their card was always 20 dollars.  Now Best buy is cutting it's gamers card 75% permanently too.  Does this mean best buy is on the ropes?  Or maybe their gaming department is...

Either way when I go into best buy now they never have any of the games on sale they have advertised.  Their game section is almost virtually a ghost town.  50% of the store is cell phones.

#92 elessar123  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:02 PM

GCU is shitty. Best buy limits their stock so hard it's impossible to use it on anything decent. They routinely ship preorders a week to three after release , even when you have preordered the game months in advance.

I expect GCU now being cheap is just going to make best buy make sure they don't get any CE so their profit margins stay high. lol.

lol, out of the 40ish games I've gotten since GCU started, only one pre-order shipped late, and that was Hyperdevotion Neptunia Noire that was like 2 weeks late.

Niche games do dry up shortly after release most of the time, but that's understandable.

#93 shosaisyu   Waster of Monies CAGiversary!   165 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

shosaisyu

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:04 PM

I had DBZ xenoverse preordered since december, it didn't ship until monday ( two days ago )

I had DOA5 last round preordered for 5 months. When it was released, it was changed to "backordered". STill haven't got my game.

#94 elessar123  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:06 PM

I had DBZ xenoverse preordered since december, it didn't ship until monday ( two days ago )

I had DOA5 last round preordered for 5 months. When it was released, it was changed to "backordered". STill haven't got my game.

Wow, a whole week late.

Plus, there's a thing called a port strike.

#95 ck0  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:08 PM

From a competitor standpoint, this puts the heat on the other retailers like Amazon and Gamestop (Target to a lesser extent).

$30 for 2 years.  One $60 game and you already save $12.  Buy 3 games in those 2 years and you already made your money back and then some.  Amazon and Gamestop are going to now have to re-examine how to compete if the shift of business becomes too great.

For me, BB is the best out of the 3 because GS never has discounts (PUR program is a joke), and Amazon doesn't have physical stores so midnight launches are out of the question.  BB you can pick up your game right when the store opens instead of waiting for the mail delivery.  It's the little things, but it factors in nonetheless.  For the most part, saving $12 off the price of the game beats any retailer-specific pre-order bonuses as well.

This could mean good things for us, like more games being eligible for $10 pre-order certs, more stock in certain CEs, better retailer bonuses, or Amazon or GS making their own discounts to retain buyers.  I don't see a reason why people shop at Gamestop anymore, they don't offer anything above what these other retailers can.

#96 CAG of Duty  

CAG of Duty

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:32 PM

I think this is the beginning of the end for Best Buy.  Just like I read Target is cutting thousands of jobs....something just is off to me.  Years ago when Game Crazy went under they cut their MVP membership to 5 dollars for a last desperation cash grab before announcing the end.  I think their card was always 20 dollars.  Now Best buy is cutting it's gamers card 75% permanently too.  Does this mean best buy is on the ropes?  Or maybe their gaming department is...

Either way when I go into best buy now they never have any of the games on sale they have advertised.  Their game section is almost virtually a ghost town.  50% of the store is cell phones.

There is some validity to this. When Bestbuy was close to going bankrupt years ago the department that saved them was mobile. Hence why such a large chunk is dedicated to mobile now. My friend is a manager at a bestbuy and he informed me that mobile gives them the largest profit and videogames are actually a giant hassle to maintain. Constantly changing inventory, holding too much of certain copies that dont sell, issues with the manufacturer (Nintendo is notoriously difficult to work with) The profit they gain from it actually isnt a lot and they usually get issues from gamers (us cagers :) ) attempting to abuse/take advantage of the system. They have considered putting majority of videogames solely online and not dealing with it in stores because they take up shelf space. Just a spiel from that BB manager, may not be the situation at all of them.

I mean kmart/sears is close to bankruptcy and they are trying to prolong the inevitable, by getting rid of the stuff not worth it, ie gaming.

Hopefully this price reduction was just a price reduction to generate more dedicated customers, because you cant beat gcu + double rewards. Target offers that 5% plus cartwheel from time to time and GS offers garbage. Hopefully this does increase competition and other major retailers start implementing more sales and incentives for gamers.

#97 MetalSlugger   :P CAGiversary!   2741 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

MetalSlugger

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:35 PM

Someone needs to make a GCU wiki with all the program details and FAQs now, since *everyone* is going to be a GCU member after this. :) I dont mean it as a bad thing (that everyone is going to be a member).

https://www.cheapass...ub-unlocked-faq

No idea why it got bumped over to a subforum that no one reads instead of being stickied here, but there you go.

Spoiler

#98 krishna_malladi   You seem familiar, did I annoy you before? CAGiversary!   4129 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

krishna_malladi

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:39 PM

https://www.cheapass...ub-unlocked-faq

No idea why it got bumped over to a subforum that no one reads instead of being stickied here, but there you go.

Spoiler

Thanks! I figured there'd be one already - I am kinda/sorta new here (little over an year...) but lots of old timers have been GCU members for much longer. Hence, I left my suggestion as a suggestion. :)

#99 The Laughing Mann  

The Laughing Mann

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:40 PM

I can vouch for my nearest BB having TWO gaming sections. They keep one up front that has a lot of their major sale stuff and new releases. The other one right in the center's mostly used, some less than popular titles...and accessories...lots of accessories.

I am good until November 2017 myself. So we will see what happens in 2017.

#100 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14491 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:47 PM

Wow, a whole week late.

Plus, there's a thing called a port strike.

Games aren't affected by the port strike as they're light enough to be air delivered & most disks are pressed in Mexico.

BB just doesn't carry anything that isn't a AAA release anymore. I still have only seen Diablo 3 UEE once in a BB store since launch.

#101 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:47 PM

Gotta admit, that was great. What isn't so great about that is I have a prepaid phone and SIM card kit that's collecting dust at home. I suppose I'll just leave it around since I only paid $15 for the two.

That's why I got a phone that could be used as a backup, which has come in handy twice already.  Once when I had to send in my S5 for service and a month ago when my fiance's iPhone's battery took a dump and it took a week to get a replacement.

#102 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14491 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:48 PM

That's why I got a phone that could be used as a backup, which has come in handy twice already. Once when I had to send in my S5 for service and a month ago when my fiance's iPhone's battery took a dump and it took a week to get a replacement.

I sold mine on EBay & got a negative from the buyer b/c I reported him as a non-paying buyer.

#103 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4213 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:52 PM

Games aren't affected by the port strike as they're light enough to be air delivered & most disks are pressed in Mexico.

BB just doesn't carry anything that isn't a AAA release anymore. I still have only seen Diablo 3 UEE once in a BB store since launch.

That's super weird that your store isn't carrying Diablo 3 UEE. That's definitely a AAA release, my store almost always has copies for every platform.

#104 abbabaab   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1965 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:00 PM

I sold mine on EBay & got a negative from the buyer b/c I reported him as a non-paying buyer.

If the report was for real and the user really was a NPB, you can have that feedback removed, you know.

#105 vmanu2  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:04 PM

Are the used games prices the same in-store as they are online? There're all marked $49.99 at the store

#106 SirConnery   I'm selling all my Game Boy games! CAGiversary!   946 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:14 PM

Best Buy is officially Circuit City 2.0.

I'm in Milwaukee, WI. The local suburb here - Fox Point store #654 is refusing me GCU membership. I paid $30 for it back in December for 2 years. I've been getting 20% off all new games on the website and select stores (all except #654). On Sunday the customer service employee as well as the manager outright refused my membership, telling me I didn't have it and even if I did it was for day one new releases only. I showed him the website and he acted like I was scamming them. He insisted that any deals I make with corporate via the website don't involve his store. I asked for the manager's name and ghe refused to give it to me. Wasn't wearing a nametag either.

I complained on the corporate forums, and their response is they don't know why it doesn't work there. They seem to think that because it works on their website and a few stores, that's good enough. When I posted on their Facebook page, a rep said that the 20% off is a new discount as of March 8th, and has not been this way all along. Total craziness.

#107 dieselsoccer  

dieselsoccer

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:49 PM

Best Buy just reported better than expected profit for the last quarter.  IIRC the profit was even higher than the previous year.  Target is cutting jobs, but a lot of them are supposed to be at their corporate offices.

#108 imme2007   CAG Ultra Noob CAGiversary!   1403 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:54 PM

Hopefully they don't make changes to the program to reflect the new reduced cost. I'm pretty sure this place would explode with hatred if they changed it to not work with sale prices or something silly.

That is what I am afraid of, they reduced the price and by their logic they can reduce the benefits to match the price

I mean it will pay for itself in 3 games, who wouldn't do that? It's best buy losing money

#109 tckilla76   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   115 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:07 PM

Are they able to change the benefits for people who already purchased it though? If so, wouldn't they at least have to give us the option of a total refund?

#110 paulwekiva   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   723 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:27 PM

If I were Best Buy and wanted to switch to 10% off, I would "grandfather" the current club members and allow them to keep getting 20% until their membership needs to be renewed.  The "new and improved" model would be at a standard $30 and have an advertised price of 10% off.

It doesn't make too much sense to switch the retail price to $30 and THEN change it to 10%...unless they want to enrage everybody.  I have a little bit higher expectations for Best Buy.

#111 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14491 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:30 PM

If the report was for real and the user really was a NPB, you can have that feedback removed, you know.

He paid after I submitted the no pay, got pissy about it saying if I was that poor I shouldn't sell on EBay, then submitted a negative saying I lied about the listing & sent him an open item missing parts. I tried to find the spot for the appeal but didn't find the right one since it had been years since I sold anything on EBay (usually use Amazon but individuals can't sell phones there.)

#112 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14491 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:31 PM

That's super weird that your store isn't carrying Diablo 3 UEE. That's definitely a AAA release, my store almost always has copies for every platform.

It's not just one store, it's all the ones in STL.

Edit: just searched again an no locations in stock within 50 miles of my zip code. That covers about 8 locations I believe.

#113 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4213 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:35 PM

It's not just one store, it's all the ones in STL.

That's crazy, do your stores have small game sections? My local BBY doesn't have a huge selection of games, but it's decent. They carry just about every major release and a lot of the smaller titles too. Really the only section severely lacking is the Vita section, but what store actually carries Vita games aside from Gamestop anymore.

#114 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14491 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:41 PM

That's crazy, do your stores have small game sections? My local BBY doesn't have a huge selection of games, but it's decent. They carry just about every major release and a lot of the smaller titles too. Really the only section severely lacking is the Vita section, but what store actually carries Vita games aside from Gamestop anymore.

1/2 the selection of GS on new gen, 1/3 on old gen. 1/8 of the selection on used games.

Also I just checked again & no stores within 50 miles of STL have it.

#115 SuperMario64   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   861 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

SuperMario64

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:05 AM

And to think this was $120 at one point. I wonder what all of the suckers who subbed until 2050 gonna do when BB inevitably ends this in a few years...

#116 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   29326 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:15 AM

this mostly kills gamefly for anyone now. I mean   48 bucks for 60 buck games.... Im pretty sure you could resell the games when your done for  40 to 45 to those who dont have this program.   3 buck lost for playing a game for a month.

I was on the board to stay with gamefly or not, but now i dont see any reason to.

I got  34 buck game  played it for  50 days was able to sell it for  30  (after all ebay crap)   that is 4 bucks (it would cost me almost 16 min to rent it on gamefly)

#117 guessed   Newbie CAGiversary!   8501 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:22 AM

Are the used games prices the same in-store as they are online? There're all marked $49.99 at the store

Just like any other store, never trust the price tag, especially on volatiley priced merchandice like used games. Most of the time, the used games will ring up for the same as the online prices.

#118 kraftwerks   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1254 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

kraftwerks

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:26 AM

You're missing another huge component - getting foot traffic

That goes hand in hand with killing your competition...You do so by driving consumers to shop with you exclusively.  Didn't think I had to spell that part out. But I guess I should have.

#119 guessed   Newbie CAGiversary!   8501 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:27 AM

1/2 the selection of GS on new gen, 1/3 on old gen. 1/8 of the selection on used games.

Also I just checked again & no stores within 50 miles of STL have it.

That just means those stores have fewer than 3 copies each, not necessarily that they don't have any.

Yes, the in-store selection of used games pales in comparison to GS, but most of the time I think the new game selection is about the same, except you never get gutted games at BB, and if you want to pick up a new release on release day, you aren't told that you can't because you didn't preorder it.

#120 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17260 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:28 AM

If they can expand the program by making it towards Movies 20% off that would be awesome...but this is best buy...where I have to pay them nearly $4000 to remain top tier class even though I am treated like a second class citizen in the store.  Yeah I can see them zapping that 20% and dropping it down to 15 or 10...  and even killing that 10 dollar pre-order bonus...because "We've spoken, and they have listen..."