Faith with the Gamecube slipping

treybegood

CAGiversary!
Hello Everyone,
I bought a Gamecube a few years ago, and while there are several titles I have enjoyed very much for the GC, I am quite disappointed with the upcoming selection of games for the system. I mean...digimon...give me a *^%$! break. While I am looking forward to a few games, such as Metroid Prime 2 and windwaker 2, I was considering buying a PS2 or XBox, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on which of the two systems might be a better choice. Also, will the PS3, Xbox 2, or Gamecube 2 be able to play discs from their previous systems? Any advice would be much appreciated. Take care cheapass gamers! :fridge:

[quote name='treybegood']Hello Everyone,
I bought a Gamecube a few years ago, and while there are several titles I have enjoyed very much for the GC, I am quite disappointed with the upcoming selection of games for the system. I mean...digimon...give me a *^%$! break. While I am looking forward to a few games, such as Metroid Prime 2 and windwaker 2, I was considering buying a PS2 or XBox, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on which of the two systems might be a better choice. Also, will the PS3, Xbox 2, or Gamecube 2 be able to play discs from their previous systems? Any advice would be much appreciated. Take care cheapass gamers! :fridge:[/quote]

well what are some of your all time fav games?

personally I am more disappionted with my Xbox. The fact that every game is either out on PC or derived from a PC game bums me out.

Only reason I plan on keeping it is online fighting games

well, I've always owned Nintendo systems before this. I love the Zeldas and other games where you kick ass with a sword. For instance, Ninja Gaiden looks really appealing to me, but I don't have an XBox, so no luck. So to answer your question, action/adventure games particularly appeal to me. But then again, I'm up to try most types of games. I also enjoy RPGs, sports games, strategy, shooters, etc.

[quote name='treybegood']well, I've always owned Nintendo systems before this. I love the Zeldas and other games where you kick ass with a sword. For instance, Ninja Gaiden looks really appealing to me, but I don't have an XBox, so no luck. So to answer your question, action/adventure games particularly appeal to me. But then again, I'm up to try most types of games. I also enjoy RPGs, sports games, strategy, shooters, etc.[/quote]

well i would say ps2 then (but thats kinda bias since i feel the same way casey does about the box)

action adventure for the cheap ass (20$ or under most places)
onimusha 1+2
devil may cry 1 and 2
rygar (duh)
shinobi
primal
castlevania : LoI
max payne 1+2
tenchu 3
ico
mgs2:s
ZoE 1+2
LOTR: TTT

rpg's i could list for days, not to mention all the amazing ps1 rpgs u can play

sports are pretty much universial. i do like sega nhl 2k4 tho

strategy games...CULDCEPT!! arc the lad, disega, tons of tactical rpgs.

and shooters are like sports, pretty much ever (i know EVERYONE says shooters are for xbox, well name 5 top quality shooters that are not on another system...

Have you tried Prince of Persia yet? That's the only title I can think of that honestly comes close to Zelda for a swordfighting adventure title.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']personally I am more disappionted with my Xbox. The fact that every game is either out on PC or derived from a PC game bums me out.

Only reason I plan on keeping it is online fighting games[/quote]

ditto. only reason i got it was sega. only reason im keeping it is i dont get rid of things. ive always loved my gamecube. nintendo knows how to make a quality game. even if they lose all 3rd party support, id still get their system before microsofts. nintendo games are what matters.

My tendency was to buy all Nintendo products, but the Gamecube simply does not have what Sony and Microsoft have to offer. I'd have to say its a toss-up between the PS2 and the XBOX.

The PS2 has Grand Theft Auto (at least months before XBOX), and a massive amount of RPG's.

The XBOX wields a large arsenal of first person shooters and more exclusives that other consoles lack (but most end up on the PC). Games like Halo, Full Spectrum Warrior, Fable, KOTOR, and Morrowind GOTY are system sellers.

I prefer XBOX over PS2, but they are both excellent. Gamecube does have some good games, but it has nothing on the other two.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin'][quote name='CaseyRyback']personally I am more disappionted with my Xbox. The fact that every game is either out on PC or derived from a PC game bums me out.

ditto. only reason i got it was sega. only reason im keeping it is i dont get rid of things. ive always loved my gamecube. nintendo knows how to make a quality game. even if they lose all 3rd party support, id still get their system before microsofts. nintendo games are what matters.[/quote]

xbox games i want for whenever i get one:
ninja gaiden
otagi
panzer dragoon
jet set future (and prolly sega gt since its a cheap pack)
death row

thats IT, theres 3 other games i want

[quote name='punqsux']and shooters are like sports, pretty much ever (i know EVERYONE says shooters are for xbox, well name 5 top quality shooters that are not on another system...[/quote]
This is pretty much true. All the good shooters out for xbox are also out for pc. My choice would be PS2, it has the best library of software no matter what genre. But it would help to know if you have a pc or not.

[quote name='manofpeace20']The XBOX wields a large arsenal of first person shooters.[/quote]

proove it.

5 top notch fps's that no other console/pc has

Ninja Gaiden is very good from what I have played. Only reason for me to get rid of it was I wanted some more Saturn games and did not want to spend any more money.

Otogi is also pretty fun. I only played it like an hour but seemed worth it

Panzer is worth it. It was one of the few Xbox games I bought last year and truely enjoyed.

Jet Set is decent, but the music drives me off the wall (5 tracks on a loop)

Whats this doing here anyway? It's not asking for a toothpaste deal. It is gaming related and it's not even asking for a deal.

IDK, lately ive found myself just playing some old school games. At the current moment my favorite system is Super Nintendo :)

[quote name='CaseyRyback']personally I am more disappionted with my Xbox. The fact that every game is either out on PC or derived from a PC game bums me out.

I used to think the 'box was a poor purchase, but I have a few things that keep me interested. Fable, Jade Empire, and Halo 2 are probably going to be good enough reasons to own an Xbox.

I bought a Gamecube for the exclusive content. Period. I've ALWAYS enjoyed Nintendo games and will continue to buy their systems until they go bankrupt or their corporate headquarters are "A'Sploded". I also agree with the person who stated their favorite system is the SNES as it is, hands down, the greatest piece of hardware on the face of this earth for videogames. All others will be regarded as heretics......or....you know, people with different opinions......whichever.

I bought a Gamecube a few years ago, and while there are several titles I have enjoyed very much for the GC, I am quite disappointed with the upcoming selection of games for the system. I mean...digimon...give me a *^%$! break. While I am looking forward to a few games, such as Metroid Prime 2 and windwaker 2, I was considering buying a PS2 or XBox, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on which of the two systems might be a better choice. Also, will the PS3, Xbox 2, or Gamecube 2 be able to play discs from their previous systems? Any advice would be much appreciated. Take care cheapass gamers! :fridge:[/quote]

im really tired of this kinda view on tthe gamecube. and alot of people seem to have it. im not really sure why. nintendo makes fantastic games. so theres a digimon title? why is that reason to abandon a system. there are plenty of games geared toward the older player coming out for the system. and so what if there arent as long as you are having fun. the best games for the system have a rating of E. psone had the most digimon games of any system and ive never seen any topics dismissing that system as a kiddie system. and guess what? kids do play video games so why not make a digimon game? its gonna sell. if you buy a gamecube and dont like mario or the like then thats just retarded. im sorry i just had to say that.
but if i were to get another system id have to say ps2. i agre with most people here in that xbox had the least amount of interesting games.i only have about 15 xbox titles and most of them arent even exclusive.
halo can be had on pc.
deus ex invisible war is on pc.
max payne 1&2 are out for both pc and ps2.
jet set radio future is exclusive
breakdown is exclusive
house of the dead III is exclusive
splinter cell can be had on every platform
oddworld is exclusive
prince of persia can be had on every system
star wars knights is out on pc
ninja gaiden is exclusive
where as 90% of my ps2/gba/xbox games are exclusive titles.
as far as a broad range of fps'. sure xbox has em. but that doesnt mean they are exclusive or even good. i got xbox solely for the rumors of perfect dark sequel. i am trying to still wait patiently.

that was far too long of a post.

I'm getting by just fine without an Xbox. I've got mostly exclusives on the GC, and over 60 PS2 titles to choose from with many more on the horizon. I agree with the above posters who are disappointed with the BOX being mostly PC ports, and not quite as good at that. I thought about getting an Xbox last year just for KOTOR, but now that I have a newer PC there's no real reason for me to ever buy that huge monstrosity of a gaming system. Except for the HD output , I don't see anything appealing about the xBox as a gaming necessity. I may think twice when it goes to $99 or less, though.

personally i love the cube...dont know why people put it down so much. i just like the system itself for being unique and small. and its true most games can be found across all platforms. i guess its just your preference. the reason i like to play games on the cube i guess is because im spoiled by the wavebird and ofcourse cuz of pso!!

Beforce discrediting the xbox / pc ports, can your pc handle current gen games?

If it can, then go with the ps2. If it can't then just compare with what you wanna play from the named games that others have given for each system.

Yes, the size of the cube is practical. I'm able to take it, a slew og games and peripherals to family gatherings and holidays with ease. The Ps2 is also amazingly small especially considering the power transformer is inside the case. I just don't understand why they make the Xbox so huge. Along with the original controller, I must admit it's one of the reasons I passed on the box and got a gamecube instead.

[quote name='bmulligan']Yes, the size of the cube is practical. I'm able to take it, a slew og games and peripherals to family gatherings and holidays with ease. The Ps2 is also amazingly small especially considering the power transformer is inside the case. I just don't understand why they make the Xbox so huge. Along with the original controller, I must admit it's one of the reasons I passed on the box and got a gamecube instead.[/quote]

i used to take my ps2 with me to my other house but now its just a hassle with the adaptor and the hard drive makes it alot heavier.

[quote name='Theenternal']Beforce discrediting the xbox / pc ports, can your pc handle current gen games?

If it can, then go with the ps2. If it can't then just compare with what you wanna play from the named games that others have given for each system.[/quote]

Exactly. The reason I got an xbox a couple years ago was because I just HAD to play Morrowind (being a huge Daggerfall fan) and my PC couldn't handle it. I personally prefer Xbox games to PS2, since I'm not the biggest fan of Final Fantasy style games. Ninja Gaiden and Panzer Dragoon are two of the best games of the past couple years, both exclusives. Jade Empire, Fable, Halo 2 are great exclusives coming soon. And of course more PC ports such as Doom 3, but again if your PC can handle them this doesn't matter so much. It also has superior online play, but only if you want to pay for Live or have broadband to support it. The only real reason to have PS2 over it IMO is for Squaresoft games or maybe for the backwards compatibility with PS1 games.

Well, can't agree with your disappointment with GCN myself. I love the system and play it a lot more than my PS2. Anyway, as a second system it really depends what games you enjoy. There are a lot of games that are on both systems, but if you want to play Halo and Doom 3 get Xbox, Eyetoy stuff and things like Disgaea, La Pucelle and FF get PS2. Just depends on what you like I'd say. I went for a PS2 as my second system personally and I like it a lot more than Xbox, but that's because I've already tried and not liked many of Xbox's marquee games. So I'd suggest trying a few games in stores to see what you like more if you haven't already.

I hardly use my Gamecube anymore. The only thing I play on it is the exclusive first and second party stuff (Zelda, etc.), and exclusive third party stuff (Skies of Arcadia: Legends, ToS). I would not mind if Nintendo went third party so I would only have to buy two consoles next generation (though they should stay in the handheld buisness).

I love my cube, have played the others quite a bit, don't own a PS2 or xbox but my roomates do. Nintendo hasn't dissapointed me at all. Have played some great first party games on the cube like Metroid Prime and Pikmin, and some great third party games. In general I really like the action/adventure games Nintendo is known for. I guess it just comes down to different tastes. They all have their strong and weak points. I will probably eventually own all three.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I hardly use my Gamecube anymore. The only thing I play on it is the exclusive first and second party stuff (Zelda, etc.), and exclusive third party stuff (Skies of Arcadia: Legends, ToS). I would not mind if Nintendo went third party so I would only have to buy two consoles next generation (though they should stay in the handheld buisness).[/quote]

I would hate to see Nintendo go third party. I don't understand why people sort of expect "them" to go that way rather than the other companies. Why Gamecube and not Microsoft?

Thanks a lot for feedback everyone. To be honest, I really like the games I have for the gamecube, but I've literally run out of games I want to buy for the system; now, I'm putting games on my wishlist that I'm really not all that thrilled about. Getting back to the digimon comment I made at the beginning of the thread...I could care less if the games that Gamecube came out were for adults or kids. All I care about is if they kick ass. I'm kind of dissapointed to about Nintendo's attempt with connectivity for the GC too. I am definitely not going to buy a GBA, and I usually play most games alone anyway. I think I would eventually like to start connecting to the internet to play games with others, but I'll probably wait until the next generation of systems to come out. Anyway, thanks again for the info. One last question... Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles? Is it worth my money (taking into consideration that I will be playing it solo)?

I have a cube and a xbox...just recently I sold my ps2...a) because I cant find many games I truely want to KEEP playing b) The damn thing screws up so much it pisses me off c) online play blows...im sorry socom wont cut it, and im not paying 10$ more a month to play everquest d) its LOUD...I bought a psone with the screen and got all the old FF and got tekken and THPS2...all the classics, and I also bought a DC...There is no need for a ps2...So many quality games on GC and XBOX alone...KOTOR anyone? Viewtiful Joe?...not to mention XBL is AMAZING! Voice chat on almost every game...Like someone said before...If your PC cant handle Doom 3 or Halo or any other awesome games then Xbox is a must...I def. recomend Xbox to the fullest...AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD KEEP YOUR GC!!!!!!

[quote name='treybegood']Thanks a lot for feedback everyone. To be honest, I really like the games I have for the gamecube, but I've literally run out of games I want to buy for the system; now, I'm putting games on my wishlist that I'm really not all that thrilled about. Getting back to the digimon comment I made at the beginning of the thread...I could care less if the games that Gamecube came out were for adults or kids. All I care about is if they kick ass. I'm kind of dissapointed to about Nintendo's attempt with connectivity for the GC too. I am definitely not going to buy a GBA, and I usually play most games alone anyway. I think I would eventually like to start connecting to the internet to play games with others, but I'll probably wait until the next generation of systems to come out. Anyway, thanks again for the info. One last question... Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles? Is it worth my money (taking into consideration that I will be playing it solo)?[/quote]

I suggest that you get a GameBoy Player for your GC, that will open up a lot more games for you right there.

I must say that, between xbox and ps2, xbox wins hands down. I'm not the kind of guy that drops $300 on a videocard every 4 months, so PC games do nothing for me. It is in this regard that I like the PC ports on xbox. I get to play what all the PC gamers are playing for a fraction of the cost. The main reason I like Xbox is modding. I got a SmartXX and a WD 160 GB hard drive for $120. Now I can put all the games I want on my hard drive for free! Not to mention all the emulators and roms! Yo Ho, Yo Ho, a pirates life for me!

I love my cube, xbox, ps2 and gba. Even if I had only 5 games for each system, they all would be worth owning. I just like being able to pick up any game for any platform and play it. I can honesty say, if you are only able to have one system, not one of them is a bad choice. It know it sounds corny, but you just have to pick the one that's right for you. In trey's case, I would have to recommend the ps2 as I really feel it's the swiss army knife of the current consoles. It has something for everyone.

[quote name='treybegood'] One last question... Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles? Is it worth my money (taking into consideration that I will be playing it solo)?[/quote]

no

If you are on a budget, the Xbox is the system for you.

You dont need memory cards or an ethernet adapter, everything is set out of the box. For about $200 im sure you can come up with a handful of great titles or even Xbox live(broadband required) with an awesome game.

PS2 is a little more expensive to set up - $200 with network adapter(another $100 for the HD+FFXI), +$25 for Memory Card. The difference in price is the biggest selection of games, many great titles and alot more crap... But really the ps2 has something for everyone, where the GC and Xbox are sure to make some people feel left out at times.

Personally I just have an Xbox and am very happy. Sure, if you have a top notch computer and a PS2 there might not be much exclusive stuff to check out. But, I don't.

Many cross-platform games look best on the Xbox, and you don't have to deal with crappy memory cards.

There are some PS2 only games I would like to check out, but so far I haven't run out of Xbox games I want to get.

Personally I'm hoping PS3 will have a HDD and be backwards compatible. So I'll catch up with the PS2 games I'm missing when it comes out in a few years.

Bottom line, IMO either system is a good choice and has more than enough games out for all but the most voracious gamer.

I love my GC, reguardless of who wins or looses the system war, i think there will always be thedevoted buyers, much like apple computers.I know for myself i will be there on launch for the 4th time for a nintendo system :)

Nintendo game quality is hard to match on a consistent basis.

I hope, but truthfully speaking if nintndo did go third party, i think they be one of the few publishers to really clean house as far as game sales are concerned. With profits like EA it almost makes sense. And yeah they should stick to there handhelds reguardless.

If they dont i wouldnt mind seeing a sega/nintendo console :p

Xbox. The Xbox Live totally rocks and games like PGR2 and the Clancy games make it the system to own. Yeah you can get some of the games for the PS2, but you will sacrifice graphics. Take a look at Splinter Cell and Rainbow 6 for a good comparison. My PS2 has been collecting dust for the past 2 years since I bought my Xbox.

My 2 cents... everyone has different tastes and needs.

every system has its ups and downs....its called competition...their would be no fun if they were all the same....you either like it, hate it, or deal with it....i own all 3 consoles....and when my gc is lacking, my xbox makes up for it....when my xbox is lacking, my gc makes up for it...and if all else fails....sony always has one trick up its sleeve

I stopped trying to decide 'which' system to get years ago. Why choose? They are all so cheap now, you can own all of them. They all have their own benefits. If you are going to buy a system now, I'd recommend a refurb XBox for $129.99. It comes with the same factory warranty as a new unit. Wait for the PS2 to come down in price, then pick that up also. Starting a good collection of games for either system is very cost efffective.

Live sseems to be forgoten by many. Games liike pgr2 are incredibly addictive because you actually race people and its a great racing game with lots of cars and realistic physics. Games may not always be exclusive but why is exclusive so great when there are so few and not all are so good. A game like splinter cell pt looks nearly as good as the pc version and the online play actually has people talking. The pc version has the capability but noone seems to use it. The ps2 version just plain looks bad. This is usually the case.

I have to ask do any of you guys who said ps2 actually have an hdtv and surround sound setup? Then your choice would seem more reasonable because playing non 480p or higher games is miserable.

I also was having a hard time with my cube lately, but in restrospect it was due to my growing X box library, games like: Ninja Gaiden, Crimson Skies, PDO,PSO,Tenchu, Toca2, RTCW, XXXI, HALO, KoToR, links 2004, Top Spin, Doa VB, DOA III, Midtown Madness and more. While it doesnt have the RPG or tactical fest my PS2 has, my X gets lote of play due to XBL. Then I took a good look at the GC once more and saw the great games I could only play on it, so the hard time wasn't really with Nintendo or the cube, it was my change of venue. Luckily for gamers abroad all systems have tons of great games for all.

I agree that all 3 systems are winners, but its obvious that the cube is in 3rd place if you had to rank all 3 systems. If you own a PC and any one of the 3 systems, you are still going to have plenty of excellent games to play.
If all you do is play games for a living, then you better get all 3 game systems and a good PC 8) :lol:
But I'm just glad that GC still hasEA and Ubisoft as 3rd party game makers, because those companies are making some of the funnest 3rd party games on all 3 consoles. (thats probably what makes all gaming rigs winners.)
I love the exclusive titles, but I just want to play a variety of good games from most of the developers. Most of us have to get used to not playing everything that comes out! Only the rich can play it all!

bread's done
Back