Sony closing down PlayStation Mobile

Josh1billion

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
http://www.vitaplayer.co.uk/the-end-of-playstation-mobile/

Sony is closing PlayStation Mobile this year, and all of the Vita games in the PSM section of the PSN store will be taken down on July 15th.

To those who aren't familiar with PSM (I know I wasn't for a while after I bought my Vita): it used to be a place for cross-platform Vita/Android games, hence the "mobile," but it's now essentially just a separate section of the Vita's PSN store, because Sony dropped the Android support last year, making it Vita-focused.  The games don't support some features, most notably trophies, but are otherwise pretty much just more Vita games.  Becoming a PSM developer was a quicker and easier process than becoming a full PlayStation developer, so the quality varies a little bit from title to title, but there are still plenty of great games on the platform.

On a personal note, I developed and released a game on PlayStation Mobile last fall (a puzzle game called Super Blackout), and it was a great experience which soon encouraged me to apply for a full PlayStation developer license.  Just started working with the full PlayStation development suite a couple of weeks ago as a result.  PSM is/was a great stepping stone for developers looking to go from PC to PlayStation.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as the console platform wouldn't be affected I guess this is just okay. Sony wanting to concentrate on Sony is okay. Right?

As long as the console platform wouldn't be affected I guess this is just okay. Sony wanting to concentrate on Sony is okay. Right?
I guess the part that concerns me most is that users won't be able to download the games they previously purchased. PSM hasn't been around for long (just a few years, I think) and users already won't be able to download their digital games from that platform, as of later this year.

bread's done
Back