Converting Videos

filmthedead

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Does anyone use MagicDVDRipper to convert videos from DVD format to PS Vita format? I notice that the preset on my version of the program (8.something) for PS Vita is not actually compatible with PS Vita. I changed the bitrate of the video to 1000kbps instead of 1500kbps, changed the framerate from 25.0 (PAL) to 29.97 (NTSC), and changed the codec from MP4 to AVC/H.264, thinking those changes might work. Won't know for a few hours. I was wondering if anyone else uses this program with the Vita preset, and if so what modifications they've had to make to get it working. Thanks!

I tried using Handbrake, but unfortunately it is TERRIBLY slow. My computer is a dinosaur, and Handbrake took over 8 hours to convert the last movie to PS Vita format. Also, the video and audio were not in sync at all.

The new settings with MagicDVDRipper worked fine (and only took half the time Handbrake would have taken). The file was kind of big (not big for a video file, but a bit more than I want to be storing on the Vita) so I am currently in the process of converting the DVD to a lower quality format (still 29.97 fps, but 600kbps video [vs 1000kbps] and 80kbps audio [vs 128kbps]). That's only 700mb vs 1.14gb, so a lot more feasible. Considering I eventually want to have 15 movies on my Vita, I think this lower quality format is the way to go. Especially where I mostly listen to the movies rather than actually watching them.

If they ever release a 128gb Vita memory card, I'll probably recode to the higher bitrates because why the Hell not. Might even go for 1500kbps for video.

How about for the PSP, any recommendations?  I want to put my DVD collection on my PSP for when I travel abroad on those several hour flights.

I use Freemake Video Converter. PSP is one of the default conversion options. Its been the quickest program I've personally ever used to convert videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, my dinosaur of a netbook is going to take about 8 hours to convert one episode of a television series.  DVD to PSP/MP4 doesn't seem worth it.  Wish there was a decent ISO to MP4 converter.  I can turn my DVD faster into an ISO than this process.

bread's done
Back