Has Microsoft screwed up with Directinput/Xinput?

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!
In researching my problems with Dead Rising 2, I've stumbled across some other issues that I'm not having, but seem to point to a weird problem Microsoft may have created with Windows controller support...

So Windows still has, and used to primarily use "DirectInput", part of DirectX, for controller input.  I think it's a generic API that any controller can tie in to.  Makes sense.

Now while it's still supported, it's been depreciated and apparently not updated since Direct X 8 (and doesn't work with "metro" apps)...apparently they want keyboard and mouse support done through something else, and they want developers using Xinput instead.

So I'd have assumed Xinput was just a direct replacement, but it's looking like it's literally ONLY for Xbox 360 controllers?  Like even third party 360 controllers don't work, I guess?  And One controllers don't work? 

I'm foggy on all this, but it sounds like maybe Microsoft went from a sensible "we support all controllers through our API" to a "hey, this Xbox 360 controller is it".  While I think pushing to get most/all games to support a 360 pad is a great idea, cutting out everything else stinks.  DR2 isn't working with One pads even, or third party 360 pads, though does work with Playstation 3/4 pads if they're running software to make the system think they're 360 pads...I guess.

I may have the issues confused, and frankly controller support on non-console systems is confusing generally (like what's up with iOS?)

Thanks!  No I was just pretty much wondering, but it sounds like Xinput DOES cover other controllers, not just the 360 pad.  Sounds like Dead Rising 2 specifically is screwed up only supporting 360 pads, but really the API should support anything that makes itself compatible. 

And that's awesome there's a way to get Playstation controllers working!  I like 'em so that's good to know.

(Argh, my 360 wireless receiver seems to be dying...I'd been doing well for a year and a half, but...)

Yes, I know that my Logitech pad has a switch on the back. It allows you to switch it from Direct-input mode to X-input mode. Because of the nature of X-Input, it's not unusual for other operating systems not to support it. So if I want to use a controller on a Linux box, I need one that supports Direct-input, instead of X.

It's going to be interesting to see what Valve is able to achieve with their new PC-focused controller. Microsoft has managed to keep the 360 controller fairly standard for PC gaming. But Valve has greater sway in that space than even Microsoft now. If the Steam controller is able to make any serious headway, it might supplant the 360 as the default PC gaming controller.

The important element for a shift like that would be to get the developers on board. And Valve is in a better position than Microsoft to make that happen.

Honestly controller set up was always a hassle with Directinput.  PC game controllers are/were inferior to the 360 controller, which ended up being a gold standard.  It was less choice, but it worked very very well.  XInput wrappers made it easy enough to get other controllers working.

Currently the best PC controller is the Dualshock 4 since you can get full xinput support as well as dinput easily.  Plus it can be wired or wireless via bluetooth.  The XOne controller can't even use wireless until a peripheral is released.  Also, the Dualshock 4 touchpad can be used as a mouse touchpad, which is very useful for playing games from the couch.  It works really well in Steam Big Picture mode and Windows 8.1.

Honestly controller set up was always a hassle with Directinput. PC game controllers are/were inferior to the 360 controller, which ended up being a gold standard. It was less choice, but it worked very very well. XInput wrappers made it easy enough to get other controllers working.

Currently the best PC controller is the Dualshock 4 since you can get full xinput support as well as dinput easily. Plus it can be wired or wireless via bluetooth. The XOne controller can't even use wireless until a peripheral is released. Also, the Dualshock 4 touchpad can be used as a mouse touchpad, which is very useful for playing games from the couch. It works really well in Steam Big Picture mode and Windows 8.1.
so would you saythe ps4 controller is better /offer more features than xbox 360 controllers? do you need to buy an adapter to use ps4 controller wireless.?

so would you saythe ps4 controller is better /offer more features than xbox 360 controllers? do you need to buy an adapter to use ps4 controller wireless.?
Yes it is much better than the 360 controller. You can plug it in with a microusb cable or if your computer has bluetooth/a bluetooth dongle it will be wireless.

360 controller you can either use a wired controller or wireless but you need to buy a wireless receiver.

Yes it is much better than the 360 controller. You can plug it in with a microusb cable or if your computer has bluetooth/a bluetooth dongle it will be wireless.

360 controller you can either use a wired controller or wireless but you need to buy a wireless receiver.
yeah, i have using the wireless controller for xbox 360, with the adapter. thanks for the advice. i might pick up a ps4 controller, if i see one for cheap.

bread's done
Back