Why Playstation seems to have so many cut scenes?

MutantMike

CAGiversary!
Long time Xbox guy

Bought a PS4, it looks amazing.

I am not unhappy with it but for 4 weeks I have noticed that PS4 games seem to have a lot less gameplay and more cut scenes than the XBone.

My buddy said it has always been this way from the days of PS1.

Like playing Order 1886 it seems half the time I am watching a film instead of playing a game

I like games that have a story to tell.  I loved Metal Gear Solid because it felt like I was playing a movie.  The Xenosaga trilogy has several long cut scenes that I enjoyed.  I played a lot of JRPGs because I like the gameplay and the story telling.  It baffles me how a few people want to completely skip the story because it gets in the way of playing, then they will turn around and quit the game because they don't understand the story.  Different strokes for different folks.

I am not unhappy with it but for 4 weeks I have noticed that PS4 games seem to have a lot less gameplay and more cut scenes than the XBone.

Like playing Order 1886 it seems half the time I am watching a film instead of playing a game
The order *IS* a movie with a little gameplay.. thats why there is a ton of negativity over it.

Outside the order and maybe a few games that I can't think of right now.. I don't think that the PS4 is more cutscene intensive than the xbox ecosystem is.

The only games that would be more cutscene prone would be exclusive stuff, like the order was..

The PS4 *does* have more horsepower, so it's possible dev's would want to show off a little cutscene here or there. But in all honesty I don't see the PS4 having more cutscenes overall.

Japan style of game making tends to be much more story based, vs (rest of world really)

I have Sunset Overdrive, I have not played it a lot... but there are lots of cutscenes. (they may be smaller, but still there)

go look on youtube for game cutscenes.

ALL cutscenes from sunset OD put together... 2 hours 18 minutes....

The Order 1886........... 2 Hours 26 minutes. (Although some videos show 3-4 hours, *most* show 2:20-2:30 or so)

Mass Effect... 2+ hours

Mass Effect 2... 3+ hours..

Mass Effect 3 .. 8 hours................... :shock:

Ryse 2:10-2:30 (I admit I don't care to look too close now.. first few that popup i'm just averaging the time)

GAMES in general tend to have more cutscenes than they used to have, fact of gaming now. I wouldn't say one console has more than the other.

Long time Xbox guy

Bought a PS4, it looks amazing.

Yes the order has a lot of cutscenes but really aside from that game what are the other ps4 exclusive games have you playex with an overly large amount of cut scenes? Or did you just play one game and assume they are all like that?

And your friend is a moron for the most part. The reason why it may seem like sony has more cutscenes (im talking exclusive titles by the way) is because sony has always delievered on rpgs while microsoft goes limp on rpgs is because they focus more on action, shooting games because they appeal to the gamers that game like a 13 year old boy or a red bull chugging college frat boy which is why they constantly do big promotions with doritos and mountain dew. So ms exclusive titles tend to be less cerebral and more the bright lights and big sounds.

Not knocking microsoft really because they cater to their audience but at the end of the day they target the same people who love the mindless big budget huge special effect summer blockbuster movies and they want more flash than substance. They are less interested in stories, characters and cutscenes.

Mass Effect... 2+ hours
Mass Effect 2... 3+ hours..

Mass Effect 3 .. 8 hours................... :shock:

GAMES in general tend to have more cutscenes than they used to have, fact of gaming now. I wouldn't say one console has more than the other.
Those three examples up there, I have two gameplays on each one of those games with 55+ hours on each gameplay. For those three examples, there's far more gameplay than there is cutscenes, so those aren't good examples to pick, IMO.

I was just searching for games with large amounts of cutscenes. I just remember starting ME3 and ended up getting bored with all of them.

Now I did finally get to rent The Order 1886 last weekend. (Got my Platinum)

Does it deserve a lot of the hate for having a ton of cutscenes? probably. I said it in another thread, they should have made The Order an animated movie, and have a game tie in. (add Multiplayer/co-op and a few extra hours of actual gameplay) And the "hate" would have been much less.

now gameplay.. The stealth stuff IMO was crap, the rest of the game wasn't bad at all. and I enjoyed the story for the most part.

I'll say the game is a great rental/gamefly choice, but to own it? after one play through and multiple swearing sessions trying to figure out what  :censored:  :censored:  :censored:  :censored: photo I missed... I don't see any value left to the game. Now if they release some DLC that adds a bunch later.. different story.

I'd say maybe 6 total hours to beat the game, including all the cutscenes. And thats including at least 3 deaths before the stealth part.. And I don't want to remember how many at that point in the game.

I know at least 2 of the deaths/restarts were due to a button press (or more) needed *during* a cutscene.. And I had put the controller down while watching the cutscene. Nope.. didn't learn the lesson the first time, had to do it again later.  :censored:

Bottom line: don't get me wrong folks.. Yes I enjoyed playing The Order 1886. A few minor annoyances, and yes it was short. I would not recommend the purchase.. but 100% recommend you play it somehow. (rent/gamefly/borrow)

Are cut scenes even a bad thing?  It depends what you are looking for.  I love MGS because of the story and the massive cut scenes.  The beauty of it is after you beat the game the first time, you might as well just skip the cut scenes.

And that is where some games have massive issues.  They are full of beautiful cut scenes but the game play sucks.

It works quite well in MGS, because the game has a lot of great gameplay and extras.  So many easter eggs and things to mess around with.

I can understand the amount of cut scenes in a game not being your cup of tea, but it's usually a complaint masking the real issues with the game.  The cut scenes tend to end up as the STRONG point.

bread's done
Back