New to 3ds

AzGoat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Ok guys i am new to the nintendo 3ds and i was able to pick up the new mm 3ds a few days ago. What i want to know is what is do i need to protect my system?  What screen protectors, protective case, storage carrying case for trips or any other accessories i need?  Thanks for the help!

I highly recommend the Hori screen protector. Went on super easy and seems to work well so far (others I've used in the past all worked well). I'm not a fan of the clear, full body cases but I'm sure you'll get good recommendations for those as well if you're interested. I did buy the Retro Mario Hori case and it serves its purpose - making a grown up man look like a child in public places.

I used to do screen protectors and as of the last year or so, I've given up on them.

When I got my 3DS XL I got a Zagg screen protector for it but they only had one for the top and they claimed that the bottom was some scratch resistant surface that didn't need protection. I was a little nervous but I went with it. It's 2 years later and the top screen has the protector on it but I don't think it ever really needed it and the bottom screen looks fine. No scratches.

The same thing happened to my iPhone 5s. I had a screen protector on my phones for years but when my Zagg Invisishield started peeling off of it and the local kiosk had closed, I decided to try going without a screen protector as I heard the glass was scratch resistant. I haven't had a problem with it for around a year.

With that being said I try to do a few common-sense things:

- My iPhone goes in my left front pocket all on it's own. It's not competing with keys or anything.

- I don't set the iPhone glass-down at a table or anything like that because it seems to me that a grain of salt really could scratch it up.

- The 3DS is normally closed which in and of itself is protecting the screen. The touch screen part seems durable enough for everyday use.

- I don't use my devices with dirty hands.

I'm not swearing you'll never get a scratch but just saying that manufacturers seem to have addressed the casual-scratching issues and that plus being somewhat aware and careful goes a long way.

For things to get:

- A case to keep it in

- A large SD card if you want to download games.

- I like the USB chargers (eBay).. It keeps my charging solutions simple

- a cradle charger is nice to just be able to set it down and it charge (Nintendo Online Store)

I'm not a fan of the clear, full body cases but I'm sure you'll get good recommendations for those as well if you're interested. I did buy the Retro Mario Hori case and it serves its purpose - making a grown up man look like a child in public places.
I assume you mean something like the Hori Duraflexi Protector? If so, I recommend it. I have one for my ALBW 3DS XL and love it. Makes me feel like I'm not gonna scratch it when I use it.

I also have the regular Hori case (like the Mario one without Mario on it). Serves its purpose as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
You really need a screen protecter being I treated my 3DS great and the edge of the bottom screen scratched the top screen to hell. Damn horrible design.

I used to do screen protectors and as of the last year or so, I've given up on them.

When I got my 3DS XL I got a Zagg screen protector for it but they only had one for the top and they claimed that the bottom was some scratch resistant surface that didn't need protection. I was a little nervous but I went with it. It's 2 years later and the top screen has the protector on it but I don't think it ever really needed it and the bottom screen looks fine. No scratches.
Yeah I've been using my 3DS without any screen protectors and it's been fine, no scratches. I just keep my 3DS closed when I'm not using it, and store it in one of those zip-up cases. No problem so far, though having a cover case that goes around the 3DS (instead of just a case to put it in) seems to be a good idea in case you fumble and drop it. I've heard good things about the Hori clear flex case.

bread's done
Back