GameStop - gift cards now cash only?

Guerrilla

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Yesterday I stopped at my local GameStop to pick up a Steam gift card. At checkout the cashier said that they were no longer taking credit cards as gift card payment, company-wide effective noon PST on 4/4/15. Since I was paying cash and debit there wasn't a problem, but they were adamant that they won't take credit cards on future gift card purchases. Anyone know if this was truth or bull?

Yesterday I stopped at my local GameStop to pick up a Steam gift card. At checkout the cashier said that they were no longer taking credit cards as gift card payment, company-wide effective noon PST on 4/4/15. Since I was paying cash and debit there wasn't a problem, but they were adamant that they won't take credit cards on future gift card purchases. Anyone know if this was truth or bull?
That sounds like bull to me, but this is GS after all...

I read "cash only" in this thread title and thought it meant I couldn't use store credit to buy gift cards. Odd that they wouldn't let you use a credit card.

I think this is just bullshit, and they said that because their credit card processing systems were having trouble yesterday.

There may be a law in your individual state that prohibits using credit to pay for what is essentially cash in a different form.  It's probably the state's way to combat bankruptcy laws similar to why most states don't allow credit cards to be used in purchasing lottery tickets and such.

When I worked at a c-store our registers were set up to not take credit for gift card purchases.

Depends on the location and store policies, I think.

Rise From Your Graves!   No, not really. 

Anyway, a grocery store I would frequent told me that lots of people have been buying gift cards with stolen credit cards fairly recently.  So no more credit cards to buy gift cards, only cash there.

It doesn't really surprise me that Gamestop would do this.  I wonder if they'll let you use the Gamestop credit card to buy gift cards?

bread's done
Back