(PS3) Silent Hill HD collection $21.10 on Amazon.com

I have the original PS2 versions... Is the PS3 version better?
Sadly no. From what I can recall, these are built from the Beta? versions due tot he fact that they lost the source code for the games[?] Again, I'm unsure of this. PS2 versions are the best release for these. For those that don't have a PS2, this is a decent price for these. SH3:HD from what I recall is the worst one. Check out the youtube review videos on this release. But yes, keep the hell away from the Xbox version.

Of SH2 (the best), I have all three versions. 

The PS3 HD  version is still great (after patch) for those that never played it.  Granted, the PS2 Greated Hits version of SH2 is better overall, due to the expansion being included, and being overall a more solid product (no bugs/issues from PS3 HD remaster).  This is even after the PS3's patch...though the issues that remain are slight, and unless you've played the original PS2 version, you won't notice.

Now....I also have SH2 on PC.  The original big box release (am I the only one that misses the PC big boxes?), and to me that is the definitive release for obvious reasons.  Graphics/texture resolutions are higher and loading times are shorter. 

But all in all, if you have no other choice, the PS3's HD versions (after patch) is still a great experience.  You get not only SH2 (including its expansion), but SH3 as well.  There are slight flaws here and there, but like I mentioned, if you haven't played the originals then you are golden and won't even notice anything missing/wrong.

Fiinal word...just get it.  Two of the best, arguably the best, in the survival horror genre. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you talking about? The hd version also includes the Born from a wish scenario found from the greatest hits version.

If it means anything this hd collection for PS3 once jumped to above $30 on Amazon. I thought it would out of print, but I guess they did another print.

If you really want to know why to avoid this port, even if it's cheap, watch this video: https://youtu.be/wya4XhTPMcc

The big issue I have with it is that some of the textures and sound FX are different from the original. They didn't use the original source material to create HD assets and things are just bad looking/sounding. PC is the best version, but  the original Xbox version of 2 wasn't bad either. It's probably best to just play the PS2 versions.

Sadly no. From what I can recall, these are built from the Beta? versions due tot he fact that they lost the source code for the games[?] Again, I'm unsure of this. PS2 versions are the best release for these. For those that don't have a PS2, this is a decent price for these. SH3:HD from what I recall is the worst one. Check out the youtube review videos on this release. But yes, keep the hell away from the Xbox version.
I thought the Xbox version was eventually patched, but the PS3 one wasn't. Was it the opposite? Or did they just never patch either of them? I remember Konami specifically putting out a statement that at least one of them wasn't going to be fixed.

Edit: Oh yeah, it was the Xbox one they left in the dust. I was thinking of Bayonetta, I think, since it was borked on launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fog is broken in this port too. Even after the patch. The fog is the most important part of the games! Avoid.

Just wanted to stress that the HD version is awful. Patch or no patch it is not the same game. Playing the PS2 version is the only way to go.

Since I already have all on PS2, I'll just get it when it drop to $10 just to satisfy my curiosity....and have wet dreams over Maria's lovely teeth eye :D/

Ya, Konami messed it up by handing it to an inexperienced developer, not working from the final code, and having their legal team flip out over the lack of voice acting contracts and legal worries (hence having the voice acting redone).  The fog isn't necessarily their fault as the original development team actually stated that the fog was rendered with some type of algorithm or hardware capability native to the ps2 and absent from the ps3...so they basically had to redo the fog from the ground up (and didn't do a great job, but it looks pretty good in the patched version).

Still, all that said, it's one of my favorite series (loved them on ps2), and I played both games in the collection pre-patch and still enjoyed them and actually liked the new HD coat of paint despite their flaws (SH2 actually played pretty much perfectly for me aside from one short outdoor area with slowdown and slowdown in Born from a Wish...while SH3 suffered from a lot of bad slowdown but wasn't anything close to "unplayable").  The patch fixed most of those major issues, but post-patch, I have run into bugs in both games (a weird issue in SH2 where an area didn't render fully, which was fixed with a reload...and some freezing in SH3).  And, nostalgia-goggles aside, the new voice acting is actually pretty good.

Definitely far from perfect...but, at least post-patch, they're still a solid way to experience these games...especially if you want to play in 720p with trophy support.

The HD collection is terrible

The textures are worse

The sound effects are more limited

The music plays incorrectly in certain cutscenes

Aspect ratio for cutscenes has been altered

Fog effect has been reduced in several areas, leading to visible stuff that shouldn't be visible (like the edge of the game map)

Voice acting was completely redone for both games, but SH3 doesn't even give the option of choosing original VA (which is superior)

Along with VA changes, the buffoons in charge of the HD edition decided to alter the script for the worse with no input from the original writers.

Even with the patch on PS3, it doesn't fix these problems. The patch was only to address slowdown and freezing issues (which are inexcusable as well...)

I have SH2D.C./3/4 on PC :D/ (I got SH2D.C. shipped to me from a guy in Greece with an assortment of other old horror games for $50)

first time i've seen somebody say that 2 or the orgiinal isn't the best
I see your confusion, and raise you another. Shattered Memories is my favorite SH. :shock:

3 is the only 'real' one I've ever finished though

1 I read a walkthrough the whole time and lost the funs

2 I couldn't get into at the time

3 was the first I played, rented it from a blockbuster originally ._____. I think I beat it later though

4 is...well 4

Origins I also beat...on psp

Downpour is in a tub full of 360 games I haven't played :joystick:

The textures are worse

Fog effect has been reduced in several areas, leading to visible stuff that shouldn't be visible (like the edge of the game map)

Voice acting was completely redone for both games, but SH3 doesn't even give the option of choosing original VA (which is superior)

Along with VA changes, the buffoons in charge of the HD edition decided to alter the script for the worse with no input from the original writers.

Even with the patch on PS3, it doesn't fix these problems. The patch was only to address slowdown and freezing issues (which are inexcusable as well...)
Actually, the patch did address some of those other issues like sound effects, etc. It VERY noticeably improved the fog and fixed the major parts people were complaining about where you could see the edge of the game map (amusingly enough, the fog in the games partially came about as a way for them to hide the poor draw distance in the original ps1 game).

Downpour is pretty cool. Don't know why it got so much hate besides people whining it's made my a new team.
it got hate because most didn't think the new team did a good job, it wasn't just because they were a new team

i actually liked homecoming a lot, i think i'm in the minority on that

The textures are worse

Most of what you said is wholey incorrect and at best is over exaggerated. Much like most posts in here its people just wantong to jump on the blind and uninformed bandwagon of bashing.

Like for instance yes silent hill 2 has new voice actors but anyone WHO ACTUALLY PLAYED IT knows the original voices are still in it. And yes 3 has it as well.

The lack of fog was addressed in the patch the problem is the more powerful hardware allowed for a increase in drawn distance where the games engine wasnt designed to go really. It still isnt an issue and only noticeable in a few places.

And well I wont continue because pointing out poor information in someone who is pbviously fuming without thinking is a pointless endeavor.

The ps3 collection is fine and the only gripes about it that are real dont even matter and not noticed by anyone trying to enjoy the game. Only nutballs with nothing better to do will pick it apart to find obscure stuff to point out no one cares about. Stay away from the 360 version though it sucked and konami never patched it.

I still have my unopened copy for 360 that I bought with Downpour 3 years ago that I glare at menacingly from time to time.  $21.20 seems to be on the wrong side of $15 for me to consider buying this again just to have the "better" version.

dunno how this is a deal... had to go look up my account on Amazon...February 23, 2014 was when I brought this PS3 version for $16.85 apparently o_O, but yea, if you can wait, I'd wait for it 2 go down again.  That was regular price too or whatever coz all I really wanted to buy was the Capcom Essentials pack for like $26.45 which was on sale at that time, but didn't have Prime so had to find something else to buy lolol

Most of what you said is wholey incorrect and at best is over exaggerated. Much like most posts in here its people just wantong to jump on the blind and uninformed bandwagon of bashing.

Like for instance yes silent hill 2 has new voice actors but anyone WHO ACTUALLY PLAYED IT knows the original voices are still in it. And yes 3 has it as well.

The lack of fog was addressed in the patch the problem is the more powerful hardware allowed for a increase in drawn distance where the games engine wasnt designed to go really. It still isnt an issue and only noticeable in a few places.

And well I wont continue because pointing out poor information in someone who is pbviously fuming without thinking is a pointless endeavor.

The ps3 collection is fine and the only gripes about it that are real dont even matter and not noticed by anyone trying to enjoy the game. Only nutballs with nothing better to do will pick it apart to find obscure stuff to point out no one cares about. Stay away from the 360 version though it sucked and konami never patched it.
I pretty much agree with what you're saying, but, just for the record, he's right about the original SH3 voices not being included (while the original SH2 voices are included as an option, SH3 only has the new voices).

If you really want to know why to avoid this port, even if it's cheap, watch this video: https://youtu.be/wya4XhTPMcc
That is ASTONISHING. They completely butchered every single piece of it. Clearly the company that did it is either incompetent, or wasn't given the time and/or budget to do it right.

The PS2 original looks and sounds WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better. Like IT looks like the enhanced version. And the PC version they mostly show is just miles and miles and miles past what this looks and sounds like.

Come to think of it, why the heck didn't they just port the PC version? Would avoid having to deal with the PS2's quirks/probably easier, AND it's actually enhanced rather than downgraded lol

bread's done
Back