Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro Blu-ray pre-order only $14.99 on Amazon!

I like how this one part of Lupin gets re-released like crazy because it's a Miyazaki film. What about the rest of the series, Japan?

Are you talking about blu-ray releases?

Discotek has actually re-released other parts of the series already, but have not yet gotten to doing a blu-ray release for the others.

You may want to take a look at their current catalog if you were looking for some of their re-releases of the series as they have been actively re-releasing many older series, such as Lupin, but just not for the blu-ray department as much since, well, it's a plus they're even re-releasing some of these series to begin with.

Squarehard I love the sig.  Even with it being a Studio Ghibli movie we're lucky the price is that low, considering it's not Disney.

Man, I remember when I bought the DVD for a mere $3-4 from Amazon brand new a while ago; of course, that was before people realized this was a Miyazaki film.  It's a solid piece of work, more in the vein of Castle in the Sky.  

All right, dumb question here but will this release have a slipcover? The preview image doesn't indicate that it will. I just want to make sure because if I buy it from BB (since I don't want to spend $35 at Amazon), I prefer to pick out my copy since the one BB's CS would pick for me would probably have a destroyed slipcover.

All right, dumb question here but will this release have a slipcover? The preview image doesn't indicate that it will. I just want to make sure because if I buy it from BB (since I don't want to spend $35 at Amazon), I prefer to pick out my copy since the one BB's CS would pick for me would probably have a destroyed slipcover.
I doubt that it will come with a slipcover. Jon-Roh was also released on BD by Discotek and it did not come with one.

I doubt that it will come with a slipcover. Jon-Roh was also released on BD by Discotek and it did not come with one.
actually i think it should come with a slipcover, the slip cover art is different from the cover art. heres a vid of the dvd so i think the blu should be the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM7KZUArz00

It's not a Ghibli film - it's a Miyazaki film.

Discotek has done an awesome job with Lupin, and I snatched this up ASAP.
Yep, this was Miyazaki's first feature-length film. Studio Ghibli wasn't even a thought back then. Lots of Lupin fans, however, dislike this film. Miyazaki is a family-friendly filmmaker and altered the personalities of a lot of the main characters to fit that aesthetic, none more so than Fujiko, who has transformed from a femme fatale who isn't afraid to use sex to get what she wants to a playful tomboy. It's also why Lupin doesn't even kiss the girl at the end.

I also remember this film (and Mystery of Mamo) were used to create an arcade game called Cliff Hanger. I was a huge fan of that as a kid, and it's what drew me to this film on DVD way back in 2000, and through it I discovered the rest of Miyazaki's work, and Studio Ghibli.

Last edited by a moderator:
Miyazaki's two second series episodes were something else - and I'm surprised Discotek hasn't at least licensed them for release. The first one was very un-Miyazaki with some CoC homages, while the final episode of the show was basically a mini-movie that happened to star the cast of Lupin III.

bread's done
Back