- - - - -

How old does a game or console have to be to be called "Retro"?

retro games consoles

#31 SilentE  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:08 AM

Retro will depend on the person and their age. Retro to me would be PS2 and older as I'm only 29 and didn't really start gaming hardcore until the PS2 era. So nostalgia and other things come into factor as it seems like a long time ago for me.

#32 ChasinTheTrane  

ChasinTheTrane

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:09 AM

If it's normal to find the console at a thrift store it's probably retro. In any case, I think PS2 will be considered retro in a couple of years. I wonder how those games will stand the test of time, since 8/16-bit always looks good but that's not the case with 3-D.

#33 leelee_gayah   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   47 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

leelee_gayah

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:04 AM

2017 games today will be RETRO in the coming 2070 cuz at that point, people don't use PC's or controllers or things like that. In my perspective, VR will be applied in all expectations of gaming. 

#34 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4328 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:47 AM

2017 games today will be RETRO in the coming 2070 cuz at that point, people don't use PC's or controllers or things like that. In my perspective, VR will be applied in all expectations of gaming. 

I honestly don't think VR will ever fully catch on.. it feels to much like a gimmick.. like 3D TV.

There is no resistence, and moving about is cumbersome.

#35 leelee_gayah   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   47 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

leelee_gayah

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:54 AM

hmmmm.. if ever VR DID make it, I'd play the game called LIFE (Rick and Morty) XD 

#36 KillerRamen   OMG Lilac PSP! CAGiversary!   3649 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

VR has a place, but I'm not convinced that it's the future of gaming. They've tried it many times before and this current iteration is cool, but it's still not quite there yet. The biggest problem I see is motion sickness from prolonged play.

As a training and engineering tool, VR is great and I don't see it going anywhere.

#37 leelee_gayah   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   47 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

leelee_gayah

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:18 AM

VR has a place, but I'm not convinced that it's the future of gaming. They've tried it many times before and this current iteration is cool, but it's still not quite there yet. The biggest problem I see is motion sickness from prolonged play.

As a training and engineering tool, VR is great and I don't see it going anywhere.

Cheers to that, KillerRamen!  :-({|= :beer:   for your motion sickness, I think it's part of being immersive and such. Can you imagine that gaming became so real? :D I never thought that the day games became virtual reality.

#38 jbloggs  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:48 PM

Retro in my mind:

ZX Spectrum,

Commodore 64

Amiga

Tandy TRS-80 / Dragon 32/64

Atari 7800/800

SNES

Sega Genesis

#39 Strength&defiance   Dreamer, philosopher, poet - or an idiot as my partner calls me CAG Veteran   85 Posts   Joined 2.1 Years Ago  

Strength&defiance

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:52 PM

I honestly don't think VR will ever fully catch on.. it feels to much like a gimmick.. like 3D TV.

There is no resistence, and moving about is cumbersome.

You may be right that VR will never take off, but I think we are seeing a very nascent technology. If people had looked at Pong and thought that was all video games could be, we would all be a lot poorer for it. Give VR a few decades and I'm sure what we have now will seem primitive in comparison.

Here is an interesting press release from Varjo where it mentions that Chief Scientist Michael Abrash at Oculus predicts the effective resolution of the Oculus will increase from 1.2 MP to 16 MP in five years. Neat read!

http://www.varjo.com/press/19062017/

#40 Duaber   Banned Banned   52 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:38 PM

Usually I consider Genesis/SNES the retro cutoff but nowadays  I feel like PS1/Dreamcast is starting to show it's age