Retron 5 $39.99 at Urban Outfitters

jgibbons83

CAGiversary!
Didn't see this posted yet. Sorry if it's old news. Just picked up a retron 5 for $40 at Urban Outfitters. It wasn't out on the floor. They had to get it from the back. I called first to make sure they had it. Thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the in-store SKU # for it, OP?
Yeah Shrike and I both need to check the only STL location of Urban Outfitters. :)

Edit: Website doesn't bring up anything with the SKU or search for Retron5 so like the OP did I guess you'll have to go by or call your local location.

Yeah Shrike and I both need to check the only STL location of Urban Outfitters. :)
Is the Galleria really the only STL location? I remember one time my out of town friend wanted to take us to a really cool store there, he took us into Urban Outfitters, which confused us, we got halfway up the stairs when he realized the store changed, so we walked right out kooking like jackasses. XD

For $40 this is a pretty good deal, although quite odd.

Yep Galleria is only STL location, just checked.

OP do you have a receipt with blackout out info or can anyone else confirm since it's not on their website?

I regret not buying one when they were listed on-site earlier this year. $40 is a great price; wish I could get to a store.  

Yea figures. I don't really do the whole social network thing so I don't have a flickr or Instagram. I only come on here for the awesome deals you guys post. If someone calls a store to confirm that would be great! I swear guys, I'm not making it up :)

I just called the store in SLC and they claimed the only video game systems they have in stock are Sega Genesis (AtGames) systems.

I'm bit of a Noob when it comes to the RetroN 5, but from what I read online seems like it is possible to play loaded rom's, is this correct? That would be the only selling point I would need to buy it! :)

called a bunch of SF bay area stores:

• Emeryville
  • Berkeley,
  • Union Sqare
  • Walnut Creek
  • Corte Madera
None of them have it.

I'm bit of a Noob when it comes to the RetroN 5, but from what I read online seems like it is possible to play loaded rom's, is this correct? That would be the only selling point I would need to buy it! :)
No, Retron 5 can't play roms, at least not that anyone has been able to figure out yet, only original cartridges.

watch amazon price match it, seems like they're price matching everything lately.
Highly doubt it since its not something that you can find everywhere, but you never know. If they have more than one in stock I'm picking up an extra and holding it just incase.

None in Minnesota but they were extremely knowledgeable about it and received calls in the past so knew exactly what I was talking about.

OVERVIEW

Estimated Difficulty: 7/10
    Offline Trophies: 4
    Online Trophies: 0
    Missable Trophies: None
    Approximate Time to 100%: 5-6 hours
    Minimum Number of Playthroughs Needed: 4
    Glitched Trophies: “Deputy Director”. Not actually glitched but the description is misleading.
    Do Cheats Affect Trophies?: Adjusting the table settings will disable trophies
    Difficulty Affects Trophies?: N/A
    Stackable Trophies?: No. Although Zen Pinball 2 is a cross buy title, trophies do not carry over between PS4, PS3, and Vita.

INTRODUCTION

The “Balls of Glory” DLC for Zen Pinball 2 features four tables from Archer, Family Guy, American Dad, and Bob’s Burgers. Each table has their own unique feel and flow to it, which comes as no surprise as each of the four tables were designed by different Zen Studios staff. The road map lays out the trophies from easiest to hardest, but feel free to switch things up if you prefer. Before attempting these trophies, I encourage you to learn some pinball techniques like the ‘Dead Flipper Pass’ and ‘Nudge Pass’ to get the ball from one flipper to another. Be careful not to tilt the table though.

Walkthrough

Step One: American Dad
Deputy Director. Easiest trophy of the four. Could take a few tries but very doable for novice/average players.
Step Two: Family Guy
A bit more of a challenge but obtainable for pinball players with average skills.
Step Three: Bob’s Burgers
This one will take some more skill, but is also probably the most enjoyable of the four. You will need to serve all 5 customers and start the table's Wizard Mode to obtain this achievement
Step Four: Archer
This trophy requires a lot of patience, as you will essentially be doing the same thing over and over again. However, if you miss a shot it could require some fast reflexes or a well timed nudge to save your ball from draining so you’ll want to be ready for that if this happens.

Deputy Director:
This trophy is easier if you can reduce your threat level (as indicated by the color of your ball). Hitting the ball through the threat level spinner multiple times will raise your threat level, while avoiding it and completing game modes will reduce it. Complete a few games modes will reduce your threat level to blue. For the sake of the trophy you’ll probably just want to start a game mode then hold the ball until the mode is complete to reduce your threat level. Once your threat level (and ball) is blue, you will be allotted more time to complete game modes and mission, albeit at the expense of a reduced score.
To start the necessary side mission, you need to hit the ball in the habitrail (steel frame ramp) three times to spell C-I-A. This will start a mini game where two holes will light up. Each time you shoot one of these holes, Bullock will grab the ball and throw it back on the table. The throws can vary a bit so keep both flippers up and be ready for them. After four hits to Bullock he will be knocked out.

Giggity Giggity Goo!:
This one requires a kind of trick y shot off the end of the left flipper. There’s a small drop target of Quagmire just above the right slingshot on the bottom of the table. First, you need to hit this drop target to expose a sink hole. You only have a small bit of time to get another shot in there so get the ball back and quickly get another shot off to lock a ball. Do this a total of three times (six shots total), and you’ll start the multiball.

Get That Party Started!
This trophy is fun to acquire and offers a bit of customization on how you go about it. What you need to do is serve all 5 customers in one game. You can serve between 1-3 customers in the ‘Order’ portion of the game at a time. To serve more than 1 customer at a time, you need to send the ball up the center ramp for the ‘Self-Promotion’ bonus. Once you have done this four times, Bob will ask if the kids to hand out flyers at the pier. This adds a second customer to the ‘Order’ portion. Send the ball up the ramp for more times, and you can serve a third customer.

Now that you’ve added a third customer, you can start the ‘Order’ game mode by putting the ball in the sink hole located in the left-center part of the table. Here’s where there is some risk-reward options. You can either choose to add just one thing to the order by hitting one of the lanes that are lit and then hold the ball, or you can try for multiple lanes. If you do multiple lanes you risk a drain, but will have more time at the end to actually “serve” the customer. I recommend trying to safely hit as many lanes as possible to allow more time at the end. After the timer runs out, part two of the ‘Order’ mode begins. It’s similar but now this time you can send the ball in any lane even if you’ve already sent it there before.

The last part of the ‘Order’ mode involves serving the customers. Depending on your Self-Promotion bonus, there will be 1-3 lanes lit. Hit these lanes to serve the customer. Now you will need to repeat all of this (Self-Promotion, starting and completing Order mode, and serving customers) until you have served all five. Once all customers are served the sink hole lights up to start Wizard mode.

As a tip, you want to ignore Night mode as much as you can for the sake of obtaining the trophy since serving customer is exclusive to Day. When in Night mode and without any missions going, hold the launch button for 3 seconds to switch back to Day mode.

Embezzlement
This trophy can be grindy, and requires some skill keeping your game going long enough to meet the requirements. The only way to make money is to send the ball through the spinner up top. A good shot nets you between 1300-1700. That means you’re looking at about 65-70 solid shots through the spinner. You don’t need to spend your 100,000 all at once, but there isn’t too many great price combinations to get you there very efficiently so you’ll almost certainly unlock this by purchasing the Extra Ball for 100K.
You can reach the spinner from three different spots: both flippers on the bottom and the upper flipper. Potentially you could send a ball up through the spinner and then catch it with the top flipper, then repeatedly send the ball through. Easier said then done though as it’s a tricky shot up top. When going for this trophy, it’s best to avoid all other game modes for the potential of a ball drain.

To actually spend your money and open up the Armory/Shop, you need to spell S-P-Y by hitting the lights scattered throughout the table. Once lit, send a ball up the right orbit.

Use the flippers to cycle through items and hit launch to purchase. You can purchase kickbacks and ball saves too and that will count towards your total, although as stated buying the Extra Ball will most likely be the end game here. If the store happens to be open ahead of acquiring 100K it isn’t a bad idea to purchase some kickbacks or balls saves since you will likely benefit from it and can make that money back with a few trips through the spinner.

From the "most helpful" review on Amazon:

"UPDATE (7/7/2014): It's back in Amazon's hands now. I was getting tired of using my Retron 5 in paranoia, checking the NES slot after each cartridge removal. I called Hyperkin, wanting to speak with Tech Support. First time I tried, they were out to lunch. Second time I tried, which was 3 hours later, they had left for the day. Instead, I was put in touch with the lead product developer himself, Chris Gallizzi.

I told him of my experience with the console & wanted to know if there was a set-in-stone recommended way to remove NES cartridges. He said the way he takes them out was the same method I'd been using--lift from one corner and remove. He wrote down a bunch of feedback from me and relayed some curious info. Evidently, MANY people are reporting the pin connector issue. Hyperkin made the connectors tight enough to ensure the best connection possible, but on hindsight, Chris admitted they made them TOO tight. They're only seeing the misshapen/popped pin issue with the mass produced consoles, NOT the beta units. They are looking into a possible hardware revision with a looser grip for all slots & stronger pins. With that, I thanked him for his help, and settled on holding onto the system for a bit longer.

Knowing that I was removing the NES cartridges the correct way from the product developer himself, I set my worries aside and had fun with it. First game of choice from my arsenal was Wrecking Crew. Inserting it felt a bit snug to me, but it played fine. After 30 min., I took the cart out, which was still a hassle. Checking the pins again, I noticed now there were two more pins popping up. I put in Dr. Mario, Othello, and Mega Man, all of them played fine with no pin trouble. Tried Wrecking Crew again, and after removal, another pin popped up. For whatever reason, my copy of Wrecking Crew was pulling the pins out. A fellow Retron 5 owner with my exact problem had theorized a week earlier on the Hyperkin Facebook page that the various sizes and thickness of NES cart PCBs could be a factor to why the Retron 5's NES slot pins were getting destroyed. Coupled with the unnecessary tightness, it seemed to be exactly right, in my case. I packed it up & returned it to Amazon for a complete refund.

Hyperkin is aware that it exists as a problem among mass-produced units. They haven't said anything publicly, and seem to be dealing with it on a case-by-case basis. With the product developer telling me they are possibly looking at a hardware revision with a looser grip & better pins, I cannot recommend the Retron 5 as it stands right now. I docked it a star after discovering the pins were still very much faulty on my "tested" refurb unit, leaving this as a one-star product in my eyes."

Seems to me like $40 is all its worth until it gets revised.

No, Retron 5 can't play roms, at least not that anyone has been able to figure out yet, only original cartridges.
its been figured out for quite sometime my friend. 2 different ways (either img or ips are the current ways) and a new custom rom will be released on top of it. Reason for this is Hyperkin stole the Retroarch code and stuffed it in here without permission so some of the guys are angry. Overall, Ouya still plays em better, but the ability to read you carts makes this one nice to have. Then again, doubt you cant find any of your cartridge roms out there! I still think the way to go for everyone will be the new Nvidia Shield Console, when it gets released it will be amazing!!

From the "most helpful" review on Amazon:

"UPDATE (7/7/2014): It's back in Amazon's hands now. I was getting tired of using my Retron 5 in paranoia, checking the NES slot after each cartridge removal. I called Hyperkin, wanting to speak with Tech Support. First time I tried, they were out to lunch. Second time I tried, which was 3 hours later, they had left for the day. Instead, I was put in touch with the lead product developer himself, Chris Gallizzi.

I told him of my experience with the console & wanted to know if there was a set-in-stone recommended way to remove NES cartridges. He said the way he takes them out was the same method I'd been using--lift from one corner and remove. He wrote down a bunch of feedback from me and relayed some curious info. Evidently, MANY people are reporting the pin connector issue. Hyperkin made the connectors tight enough to ensure the best connection possible, but on hindsight, Chris admitted they made them TOO tight. They're only seeing the misshapen/popped pin issue with the mass produced consoles, NOT the beta units. They are looking into a possible hardware revision with a looser grip for all slots & stronger pins. With that, I thanked him for his help, and settled on holding onto the system for a bit longer.

Knowing that I was removing the NES cartridges the correct way from the product developer himself, I set my worries aside and had fun with it. First game of choice from my arsenal was Wrecking Crew. Inserting it felt a bit snug to me, but it played fine. After 30 min., I took the cart out, which was still a hassle. Checking the pins again, I noticed now there were two more pins popping up. I put in Dr. Mario, Othello, and Mega Man, all of them played fine with no pin trouble. Tried Wrecking Crew again, and after removal, another pin popped up. For whatever reason, my copy of Wrecking Crew was pulling the pins out. A fellow Retron 5 owner with my exact problem had theorized a week earlier on the Hyperkin Facebook page that the various sizes and thickness of NES cart PCBs could be a factor to why the Retron 5's NES slot pins were getting destroyed. Coupled with the unnecessary tightness, it seemed to be exactly right, in my case. I packed it up & returned it to Amazon for a complete refund.

Hyperkin is aware that it exists as a problem among mass-produced units. They haven't said anything publicly, and seem to be dealing with it on a case-by-case basis. With the product developer telling me they are possibly looking at a hardware revision with a looser grip & better pins, I cannot recommend the Retron 5 as it stands right now. I docked it a star after discovering the pins were still very much faulty on my "tested" refurb unit, leaving this as a one-star product in my eyes."

Seems to me like $40 is all its worth until it gets revised.
That a old ass review of the launch models they did fix all those problems and released a new batch so that review total irrelevant now. I got mine in December for $75 and used it daily and not a single problem. All the problems were with the launch models only.

from what i read, it uses it's own database of roms based on which cartridge you insert.

meaning, put in super mario 64...It loads it's own super mario 64 rom, instead of playing your cartridge.

It's like having every old game installed on your PC, put you still need "disc 1"

I've probably made this more complicated.

You might see the way I'm acting like I'm somebody else,

if so, it may be getting you frustrated.

There are a few around NYC. I'm talking to a rep at the 44th and 5th location. Searching the name in the system wasn't getting her results; as retron kept defaulted to retribution as the clerk put it, lol. SKU also brought up nothing. This sales clerk is great and went to check floor and back stock. Unfortuantely they are not avaialbe. Bummer.

There are a few around NYC. I'm talking to a rep at the 44th and 5th location. Searching the name in the system wasn't getting her results; as retron kept defaulted to retribution as the clerk put it, lol. SKU also brought up nothing. This sales clerk is great and went to check floor and back stock. Unfortuantely they are not avaialbe. Bummer.
I'm going to be in the city this weekend, so my plan was to call closer to the weekend, I did see there were quite a few there too! phew!

To my mind, the Retron 5's signature feature is its ability to apply IPS patches to carts.

I don't have NES or Genesis cartridges to test, but I have experienced tightness with the SNES slot. Some games fit easily, but fitting and removing Star Ocean is a challenge. This is on a Retron 5 purchased in January.

Big nope in Old Town Pasadena according to the clerk on the phone, been on hold as she's "checking other stores in the district"...

from what i read, it uses it's own database of roms based on which cartridge you insert.

meaning, put in super mario 64...It loads it's own super mario 64 rom, instead of playing your cartridge.

It's like having every old game installed on your PC, put you still need "disc 1"

I've probably made this more complicated.

You might see the way I'm acting like I'm somebody else,

if so, it may be getting you frustrated.
Is this true? I find it difficult to believe anyone would create a system like that..

Yea figures. I don't really do the whole social network thing so I don't have a flickr or Instagram. I only come on here for the awesome deals you guys post. If someone calls a store to confirm that would be great! I swear guys, I'm not making it up :)
If you have an iPhone, take a picture, then have it sent to your email address. You can download the picture from your email, then upload it to CAG directly.

Is this true? I find it difficult to believe anyone would create a system like that..
The system doesn't have any ROMs contained within it... if it did, they'd get sued immediately.

What he (and others) likely confused it with is that the system, before it actually plays a game, dumps the cart data into a ROM, and then plays the files from the ROM, which allows for the application of all the neat features (like save states).

Yeah, that's weirdly random. If you could offer some proof of the price, it would be greatly appreciated. I called the store and they said they could sell it to me for $40, but they'd have to swipe my credit card and order it from the warehouse. I couldn't do it over the telephone and they can't find the product online either. (Auugh!)

Googling urban outfitters retron 5 shows some guy tweeted about scoring this deal back on March 20th, thus I don't doubt the veracity of this deal. But at this point I can't imagine many stores still having it.

bread's done
Back