What's with the regional pricing difference on Clearance items?

Marbles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
What's with the regional pricing difference on Clearance items and sales?

I brought this up on the Target thread here, https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/344203-wolfenstein-the-new-order-on-ps4-1198-target-ymmv/?p=12637368

I'm from Michigan, from 2007 through 2013 I lived in Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor while I went to college. (Bachelors and Masters)

During that time period, I found numerous items on sale or clearance at various stores such as Target, Wal-Mart, etc etc.

Heck, I remember a couple times where I went to the Canton Walmart on Michigan Ave and was able to walk out with 10-20 games, each under $10... compared to what they were at other stores.

Target has a dedicated clearance rack for games and other such items.

When not talking about games, I was able to get massive discounts on multiple toys and house hold goods.

While since I moved to Massachusetts (40-60 minutes outside of Boston), I've yet to find a single clearance close to my time in MI.. and I look.. I look hard.

I've even done a test, when I went home to see my family I went to a couple Wal-Mart to see their clearance and they had FarCry 3 for the 360 for around $7-12 depending on store or location on clearance.

Here in my town in MA, the clearance price is $18... 10% off the base price.

Another was a single ear USB headset, it was marked down to $5 at the store in Ypsilanti MI (Ellsworth) while here even on clearance it's still $20.  ( Wii Headbanger Corder Chat Headset, this was a couple years ago. I had purchased it in MI and saw it here and wanted a 2nd.. only to find it was a substancial bit more on clearance)

This is overly common in my area and the local towns here in this state, where clearance prices seem to be at max 20% off an item, when where I am from upwards of 65% and more was a common sight as well. These discount discrepencies extend to all purchases, toys, living, games, everything.

I'm just curious as to what causes such a huge discrepency and why such discounts aren't applied.

The only small information I've gotten was a woman working on marking the clerance items at WalMart said they have to get permission to mark and item as clearance and have to ok the amount they put the item for.. but I don't know if this is true or not.

It's true. The local store manager ultimately decides on if they want to accept the discounted price or send them back to a warehouse. If they feel they will lose money for the company, they just send them back on the delivery truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's true. The local store manager ultimately decides on if they want to accept the discounted price or send them back to a warehouse. If they feel they will lose money for the company, they just send them back on the delivery truck.
Which makes me wonder why Michigan locations were so readily wanting to give such big discounts.

I remember getting a complete Sims 3 + Expansions for $12 (It was a combo pack of 2-3 games), $7 for Castlevania Lord of Shadows 1 PS3

Etc etc etc.

As I said though, do they set the discount or do they need permission from a higher up authority to put it at a certain level.. like what is the chain of command?

Last edited by a moderator:
You also have to consider the foot traffic disparity in different regions, mainly along the lines of major metropolitan area/city versus suburban and rural.  In a heavily populated area, you more than likely will be able to move product with a lesser discount, whereas in a sparser populated area it will more likely require more time and/or larger discounts.

bread's done
Back