Cagcast transitioning from a videogame podcast to a 1%er playground..

Lord Jezo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
It's been happening slowly but with the Shipwreck basement extravaganza we have finally hit a point where common people can no longer relate to the show.  

Just think about it..

First we have Cheapy.  He went from one of the most expensive cities in the world to one of the most expensive cities in the world.  He throws around little things to let us all know how rich he is.  While most of us are having a hard time affording the Dollar Menu at McDonalds he is chowing down at elite Iron Chef restaurants.

Yeah, sure.  Then he has a MoMA pass.  Up to $12,000?  Look at how much is tax deductible.  He doesn't care about art, it's a tax shelter. 

Wombat.

He lives on Long Island.  Home of Howard Stern and famous for some of the largest parties in the United States.  You need to be a millionaire just to afford a basic house.  Works in Manhattan, shakes down poor honest hard working delivery people for cash in these crazy schemes, and feels good about himself while playing on our pity about bloody noses.

Shipwreck?  This guy is a war profiteer who designs helicopters while living in a massive compound in the midwest.  With a basement larger than what most people even called a home just a few years ago (double it for basement+at least one more floor and he's above what we all have today), he lives like a king.

So, the Cagcast.  I guess it's a good way to see how the upper crust live, a view into a life none of us will ever have, and at least Cheapy plays some good rap music sometimes.

3 friends, with families, and jobs (some more extravagant than others), playing games, and living their lives as the want and can. That's just life no matter your circumstances (unless you are dealing with a truly bad situation or you are beyond money).

I you are really hurting so bad for cash as you say, I hope you can direct your energy towards having more interesting and engaging jobs, they're usually also better paid.. instead of wasting it in spite and resent. 

Finally, if you can't look past those differences, the show just might not be for you... but not for the reasons you stated. 

PS: I'm definitively not a 1%er.

You are mad because someone else is more successful than you? If that's your outlook in life you are going to have a hard time.

Also, if you don't like the podcast hosts...don't listen to it.

Edit: Just noticed CheapyD liked the OP haha what a champ.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you continue to put as much effort forth as you did in this post, you'll be there soon enough yourself.

It's been happening slowly but with the Shipwreck basement extravaganza we have finally hit a point where common people can no longer relate to the show.

Just think about it..

First we have Cheapy. He went from one of the most expensive cities in the world to one of the most expensive cities in the world. He throws around little things to let us all know how rich he is. While most of us are having a hard time affording the Dollar Menu at McDonalds he is chowing down at elite Iron Chef restaurants.

Yeah, sure. Then he has a MoMA pass. Up to $12,000? Look at how much is tax deductible. He doesn't care about art, it's a tax shelter.

Wombat.

He lives on Long Island. Home of Howard Stern and famous for some of the largest parties in the United States. You need to be a millionaire just to afford a basic house. Works in Manhattan, shakes down poor honest hard working delivery people for cash in these crazy schemes, and feels good about himself while playing on our pity about bloody noses.

Shipwreck? This guy is a war profiteer who designs helicopters while living in a massive compound in the midwest. With a basement larger than what most people even called a home just a few years ago (double it for basement+at least one more floor and he's above what we all have today), he lives like a king.

So, the Cagcast. I guess it's a good way to see how the upper crust live, a view into a life none of us will ever have, and at least Cheapy plays some good rap music sometimes.

While what you say may be true, all 3 guys are still likeable people, and love games. How can you get made because they have more money than you?

I definitely get jealous at times because I work pretty hard, and probably will never even get the chance to step foot on a plane to japan ( lifelong dream) but it's not their fault. I would still hang out with them and play some games.

Just found out that Shipwrecks basement is bigger than my house, but his project is a dream that I had when I was 8 haha. More power to him. If anyone can point me in the direction of his powerpoint I would be greatful. He won't answer me on twitter!

The OP is totally right. Plus with the show being so infrequent, there will just be one day where Cheapy & the crew just stops doing it. Wombat is the most likeable and closest to the common man but he's still a pretentious asshole. They no longer desire or care to do the show anymore. It's getting more and more clear with weeks off and shorter episodes. Cheapy is just waiting for someone to make him an offer for the site and he will be out and he and Ship will have money fights on the train that yes Wombat could also afford. Breads done? More like the show is done. Turn off the lights.

Remember when Jeff Veasey told everyone that GameFAQs was "their site," before selling it to CBS Interactive? Ah, those were the days.

This thread is hilarious. I think the hosts of the CAGcast are definitely well off, but I would hardly call them rich, at least not by my definition. What they have they certainly earned it. I myself am not what you would call a 1%, well maybe I am by the OPs standards considering I have a good job and am able to buy just about anything I want when it comes to my hobby (gaming). If you put more effort into your life Lord Jezo and spent less time complaining about a podcast that you don't have to listen to. You could find yourself driving an Italian sports car and eating at a high end Iron Chef restaurant in one of the most expensive cities in the world! 

Wow, this thread is still up? Anyway, I thought about my previous post, OP and decided it wasn't very constructive, so I'll try again.

If you're still upset about a perceived disparity between your financial situation and those of the hosts of CAGcast, I think you should just cry about it. That's right. Cry it AAAALLLLLLLL out. Then, when you're done, cry some more.

That's all I've got. Hope it helps.

I seriously hope that the op said some of this in jest.  Living in Cincinnati, I'd hardly call it the mecca for the 1%ers.  If shipwreck never talked about owning shitty electronics I'd never buy, or Cheapy never discussed the merits of buying crappy watches I'm not sure I'd have a reason to listen.

Funny shit though, at least you had me laughing.

Yes, they can afford whatever videogames and Apple products they want, but why wouldn't they be able to? They're all in dual income marriages, with great careers. The Shipwreck's situation seems exaggerated because they live in an affordable city. A California or New York apartment rent probably costs the same as the Shipwreck Mansion mortgage.  :-({|=

1%'ers don't ask strangers for free lunch or compulsively shop the clearance section at Target. This thread is hilarious and Lord Jezo's post history is eye opening.

Wombat saves money by fueling his kids with pure poison. McDonalds, chicken nuggets, fries, soft drinks, etc. Try some fruit and vegetables sometime there corky.

I game, not rich but I know I've saved thousands of dollars because of Cheapy D. You cynical, jealous things... The podcasts make me laugh & Cheapy wrote back & gave me good advice on living abroad w/ a need for my Americana. To say you come across as pathetic & whiny is obvious as is any attempt to judge you since I don't truly know you. If you're looking for your cult leader, try that guy on Game of Thrones who will whip a queen for her excesses & debauchery. You should be grateful of the impact Cheapy D has made from what used to be a beautiful hobby to a merciless business. Many of us appreciate their honesty in checking & honoring trends in the industry w/ their eye for the gamer, for you.

dont hate. when it comes to video games, money doesnt matter. you dont need to be rich to play videogames.

hope things get better for you but its not their problem that youre unhappy you can't do something that theyve done. everyone has a limited amount of time to do stuff in life and we have video games in common.

they're entertaining. a little too much pcpcpc from cheapy sometimes but whatever.

their site has saved me a ton of money on games. more power to them as long as they stay honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is rather disheartening, I just started listening to the older podcasts. 

I'll admit it, I am jealous of their good fortune.  I'll also admit they earned it because they saved me and many others a lot of money. 

Holy shit...this isn't satire is it?
Cheapy is tax sheltering by purchasing a MoMa pass?And he lives in a city. What a 1% motherfucker.
Wombat in his Ivory Tower, living in a house with a family on Long Island driving his mini van that can transport food and kids.
And then the war profiteer Shipwreck. What asshole becomes a successful engineer and then saves up to convert their basement for their favourite hobby?

Cagcast, listen up you fuckers. Quit giving me a free hour of fun for free every week for years on end unless you all immediately agree to live in a cardboard box, eat cat food and huff paint to get to sleep at night.

Jesus...these guys are late 30's/40 - if you can't afford a minivan, dual gpu's in a PC every few years, or converting a basement every 10-15 years maybe you've not learnt how to be a cheap ass.

Yes, they can afford whatever videogames and Apple products they want, but why wouldn't they be able to? They're all in dual income marriages, with great careers. The Shipwreck's situation seems exaggerated because they live in an affordable city. A California or New York apartment rent probably costs the same as the Shipwreck Mansion mortgage. :-({|=

1%'ers don't ask strangers for free lunch or compulsively shop the clearance section at Target. This thread is hilarious and Lord Jezo's post history is eye opening.
I agree with your first paragraph but as far as the second one... 1%ers can be some of the cheapest people you will meet.

I was a waiter at one of the most expensive and exclusive restaurants in the city. Whenever the "regulars", the wealthy people who had more money then they knew what to do with, would come in and eat, they would generally split meals and tip at the bottom of the range. I personally know folks who earn 7 figures and clip coupons on a regular basis, wear Timex watches and drive 10 year old cars. There's always that rich guy who buys clothes at the goodwill or stockpiles supplies he can never really use up because it was a sale.

Also, people talk about an 1800 sq ft basement as large. If you have an 1800 sq ft ranch with a basement, you have an 1800 sq ft basement... It's not really that far-fetched, and pretty common even in a crappy area like where I live. Go out of the major metropolitan areas and you can have a very large and nice home for relatively cheap. You want to talk big, the Vanderbilt summer cottage in Newport was 63,000 square feet, now that was big.

The OP is totally right. Plus with the show being so infrequent, there will just be one day where Cheapy & the crew just stops doing it. Wombat is the most likeable and closest to the common man but he's still a pretentious asshole. They no longer desire or care to do the show anymore. It's getting more and more clear with weeks off and shorter episodes. Cheapy is just waiting for someone to make him an offer for the site and he will be out and he and Ship will have money fights on the train that yes Wombat could also afford. Breads done? More like the show is done. Turn off the lights.
It's been interesting to watch Cheapy's declining interest in running the site. He used to post regularly, run contest, have the annual CAG awards, have E3 meet ups, etc. That slowly declined over the last few years but at the time the podcast was still a regular weekly event. Now the podcast is pretty irregular and likely on its way out in priority.

I get it though, they're all getting busier with outside commitments, work, etc. I just think some of the newer CAGs would be surprised just how different this website was 5-6 years ago.

Cheapy doesn't even play games anymore and complains about how many are coming out.

Shipwreck is rapidly becoming an old man and subscribing to the "if I don't like it it sucks" mentality that comes along with that.

Wombat is too busy pumping his kids full of sugar and processed food and then wondering why they're awake at 11pm running through the halls to play games.

The shit is weak these days.

bread's done
Back