CAGcast #404: Shipwreck Dreams of Cables

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang discusses the latest Star Wars game and movie trailers, lost iPhones, GameStop's retro gaming initiative, and probably more!

Download (1 hour 5 minutes) - iTunes - Stitcher - RSS
https://audioboom.com/boos/3114326-cagcast-404-shipwreck-dreams-of-cables

Stay tuned to learn how to win 1 of 3 PNY GeForce GTX 750ti cards from CAG and Newegg!

Newegg is a leading tech-focused e-retailer in the United States, with great deals daily on its entire catalog of more than 10 million products. Twenty five million registered users rely on Newegg for its huge selection of product and great prices, all backed by great customer service.

For more information, visit www.newegg.com and be sure to shop Newegg’s PNY Technologies Store for a great selection of video cards, storage products and other computing accessories.

Thanks, Newegg!

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Outro

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Staying tuned for contest, My daughter could use a newer card for her cheap gaming rig. Great to have newegg on board.

200.gif

With regards to the Apple Store and stolen devices, you guys are on the money. As someone who used to work there, they were very specific about not getting into speculating about if a device was stolen. If you got a phone that had been locked with Find My iPhone, like Cheepy's, all you could do really was give it back to the customer and tell they'll they'd have to have the previous owner unlock it. That's also why I'd always encourage people to use Find My iPhone because that was pretty much the only defense you'd have against someone reusing your lost or stolen phone.

Oh wow. I just hope he has enough money saved up lest he end up like a 1990s pop star.

Fantastic prize CheapyD, and this graphics card appears to work for anybody with a mid range computer from the past 6 years. Too bad one will need a powerful enough processor to run GTA V on normal.

Wombat, why doesn't Spicer only call you by your nickname? It is indeed a habit he should learn since you are arguably more famous. Although, CheapyD is the only person of the CAGcast I would call by his full name when needed, especially since he is the boss.

Shipwreck what is your favorite brand of gummy bears? I usually just buy whatever's cheap.

You need to stop with the first 15 minutes of the show where all you guys do is talk about your personal lives. I thought this was a gaming podcast and movie trailer??? Uh, Gaming podcast, remember? 

I do enjoy the show and I do like you Cheapy but you seem distant , like you have lost interest in doing the show. You could condense the gaming discussion to about 12 minutes, 8 minutes if you filter out Shipwrecks "likes". Perhaps you need new blood on the show. 

Personally, I think they are weighing you down and/or making you feel obligated to do something that you no longer enjoy doing. 

Never understood why a smaller title never took advantage of the pre E3 lull to announce their game. The gaming press would be all over them just to cover something. End with a "Come see us at E3."

You need to stop with the first 15 minutes of the show where all you guys do is talk about your personal lives. I thought this was a gaming podcast and movie trailer??? Uh, Gaming podcast, remember?

I do enjoy the show and I do like you Cheapy but you seem distant , like you have lost interest in doing the show. You could condense the gaming discussion to about 12 minutes, 8 minutes if you filter out Shipwrecks "likes". Perhaps you need new blood on the show.

Personally, I think they are weighing you down and/or making you feel obligated to do something that you no longer enjoy doing.
I think the CAGcast does a great mix of personal/games and really enjoy the personal/off topic discussion. Lots of laughs come out of it.

Anyway, good episode guys. And it's nice to see such a great giveaway.

Huh, I guess it is Thor in the pinball table. I figured it was Jarvis, since he's a big part of the movie.

Great show guys! Not a lot to talk about in the realm of gaming right now, so I welcome the banter between the hosts. I've been listening to the show since episode 1 and really enjoy hearing about the guys day to day lives and what they are up to. Nothing gaming wise to talk about aside from E3 rumors and Star Wars Battlefront right now. I listen to CAG for the hosts and the stories and I listen to Giant Bombcast for my gaming chatter. 

I picked up Evolve this week. It was on sale at BestBuy which stacked with my GCU and point certificiate. Gotta say it's probably the most fun game on the PS4 for me right now. You definitely get your moneyworth for the standard game. It'll probably rival my playtime in Destiny.

I wouldnt worry about the DLC for it. The season pass is basically just addition hunters you can play as. And then theres an additional monster to buy which is kinda steep but maybe itll go on sale later. But you get the new maps for free and you can play with people regardless of who has what. With the 12 hunters you get from the start, you'll get loads of playtime with the standard game alone. I dont feel bad about not having the dlc at all. I probably will drop the additional 25 bucks because this game is taking up alot of my time lately. But each hunter has so many tricks to learn to play them effectively that you'll want to keep using the same ones and master their playstyle before moving to the next one.

It feels infinitely replayable with all the random level effects. The lighting and pouring rain for example is one possible weather effect that looks really damn cool and i just love the atmosphere of being on the hunt for a giant elusive monster with friends. It's just the most fun thing to play if I want to play a coop game. I think you guys would like it if you got a chance to play together as a team. Playing as the monster is also really damn fun. It's like being the boss in a videogame.

The only thing i'm worried about in the new Star Wars movie is which character they are going to kill off. Lucas was the only one holding back Harrison Ford and the writer from Empire (who is now writing Ep7) from killing off Han Solo according to one of the documentaries and now he's out of the way. Also there was a youtube commment that mentioned how in Ep1 Qui-Gon Jinn dies in front of his apprentice Obi-Wan who then died in Ep4 in front of his apprentice Luke. So if the death pattern continues Luke would then die in Ep.7 in front of new guy/girl... I'm pretty convinced one of the main characters is going to die in the new Star Wars to accelerate the path of the new protagonist and I dont really want either to die. But I wouldnt hate on the movie if it happened.

I have faith the movie will be awesome because I really liked all the other stuff JJ has done and they are really making an effort to go oldschool with the practical effects. As long as we get some killer dialogue to accompany the action it'll be a classic. Good dialogue is what makes rewatching them so much fun because you can analyze the character progression. The character arc of Han Solo going from smuggler to rebel leader is just like one example. You can't have a good story without good character development and you cant have good character development without good dialogue. When you just have cgi action sequence after action sequence there's not as much draw to go back and rewatch the cardboard characters. Some of the interactions in 1-3 were really cringeworthy. So i also really like how they made an effort to get talented people without big names. 

Talking about Battlefront I played the original two alot on the original xbox. They were always heavily multiplayer focused, even back then when online console gaming hadn't really became this massive thing yet. I don't see why Battlefront 3 / 2015 should be any different. 

I think the problem arises when you know there's going to be a ton of DLC, season pass / premium and stuff for a game with "no single player" so average joe thinks not only is it missing a fundamental component (SP) and now they have to pay extra for all this stuff.

I am very excited personally, i've been waiting 10 years for a new BF game!! So I hope it lives up to expectations.

Great show as usual; would LOVE one of those 750Tis.

I don't see anything about it in the contest thread which you referred us to... anyone else?

Was listening to the Star Wars and Batman v Superman teasers discussion. Oh man, cynical central. lol

I completely disagree. The personal stuff is some of the best laughs. I think it's a perfect mix.

Was listening to the Star Wars and Batman v Superman teasers discussion. Oh man, cynical central. lol
I think there is cause for cynicism. Fans of both Batman and Superman have been burned plenty over the past decade or so.

With Superman we're all just starved for a decent live-action film. With Batman it's a matter of Bat-fatigue. Warner Brothers has been leaning on Batman so much for so long, and I'm more than a little worried that their Bat-crutch is about to snap.

Just thought I'd share a little personal experience on the cables subject.

My parents are building a new house, and I've been helping them out a bit with the audio-visual setup that they're planning on implementing. Their builder clued me in to an approach that a lot of professional builders are adopting for wiring a house for HDMI. They actually wire the house for CAT5 cable, and then use an adapter to handle conversion from CAT5 to HDMI. The CAT5 cables carry the video signal, and then it gets converted just before it goes into whatever device is using it.

Apparently there is a finite limit to the length of most HDMI cables, so this approach is commonly used when wiring for HDMI in distances exceeding 50 feet. Another possible benefit is that the standard nature of CAT5 makes it very easy to use for multiple different wiring standards. So if your technology goes obsolete in a few years, your wiring doesn't and can be re-purposed later.

I don't see any way to enter a contest for the PNY GeForce GTX 750ti, so I figure I would say "I'm in for the contest"

Please let me know if some kind of contest entry method shows up in the Forums under 'Contests'.

Thanks!

~Tony-C

Sucks about your phone Cheapy. My partner has lost 3 iphones and has had FindMyIphone enabled each time. Did it help? Did it hell.

Meanwhile i lost a phone in Beijing and the person went out of their way to find me despite her not speaking English. It was so sweet.

There actually was a single player mode in Battlefront II that was more than just playing vs. bots. SWBFII came out around the time that Episode III did, and there was a campaign that loosely followed the events of the movie. Additionally, there was a mode called Galactic Conquest (or something like that) where it was a bunch of battles vs. bots like you said, but they were stringed together via a board game-style metagame where the objective was to take control over the galaxy. So when you compare it to that, having no SP is kind of taking a chunk out of the game.

Personally I remember loving the Battlefront games (largely because I'm a huge Star Wars fan), but when I think about it, a large, large majority of my time with those games was playing couch split-screen with a friend against bots because it was before I started to really play online games normally. I only played the second game online on my PC a handful of times. So without that present, I don't know. Still going to get it, though, since I love Star Wars and all that.

I use Newegg quite a bit, so it's cool that they sponsor you guys now.

There actually was a single player mode in Battlefront II that was more than just playing vs. bots. SWBFII came out around the time that Episode III did, and there was a campaign that loosely followed the events of the movie. Additionally, there was a mode called Galactic Conquest (or something like that) where it was a bunch of battles vs. bots like you said, but they were stringed together via a board game-style metagame where the objective was to take control over the galaxy. So when you compare it to that, having no SP is kind of taking a chunk out of the game.

Personally I remember loving the Battlefront games (largely because I'm a huge Star Wars fan), but when I think about it, a large, large majority of my time with those games was playing couch split-screen with a friend against bots because it was before I started to really play online games normally. I only played the second game online on my PC a handful of times. So without that present, I don't know. Still going to get it, though, since I love Star Wars and all that.

I use Newegg quite a bit, so it's cool that they sponsor you guys now.
I loved Galactic Conquest and the kind of light strategy element of trying to take the planets while trying to defend others. I eventually started playing on the harder difficulty and it made it harder for me to actually hold certain planets so there would be the strategy of trying to build a fleet to sit on it so I would be able to try to defend it in a space battle vs a ground battle I have a good chance of losing. I also liked how it had different planets with different paths you could take depending on the time setting you were choosing. I also liked how you obtained credits and used them to unlock more unit types and buffs as you went along. So many fond memories of battlefront

Guys I own the iphone 6 plus as well, have a really thin case to it.  I don't see the problem with the size?  It's been my perfect phone, big enough to basically replace my ipad and with the Hearthstone release I now have the killer app from a gaming perspective.  To each his own, but I've never felt it's been some gigantic problem.

Another excellent show. I say if Wombat is having a bad week, then the day of the CAGCast recording, open a bottle of red wine and sipping away towards bliss; it work for last episode.

I wonder if a six-way from Ohio will do the trick to up lift the mood? It works for Shipwreck.

I like how you guys discuss all of your video game hobbies but between mega video game basement, LED lights all over near-4k gaming rigs, and 2-3 current gen consoles each (including PC PC PC) you guys are going to eventually have to change the name to Rich Ass Gamer.  But I guess RAGcast doesn't have the same ring to it.  I'm just heckling, you guys are great.

Hey CheapyD,

It sucks you lost your phone. One thing that might help is cargo pants and shorts. I use to work in aviation and needed to carry lots of tools and notepads. A small tote bag helped, but I needed to carry less with my hands. Cargo pants worked great in being more hand-free and remembered if I forget an item by the weight of my pants.

Garrett,

I respectfully disagree with your perspective. If the CAGCast used a rigid structure in reviewing video games only, the authenticity of the podcast would be diminished. The discussion about the personal lives of each offers a depth that shows like IGN and Penny Arcade lack. The reason why I enjoy the show is the synergy of the group is positive and shows the lives of older gamers, such as myself, juggling work and family responsibilities while still able to play some games. The true enigma is Shipwreck; how can the man work as an aviation engineer, care for a small child, and manage the renovation of a basement while finding time to play? Either he does not sleep or plays at work, who knows?

sorry you lost your phone but the alternative is being one of "those" guys who wears his phone on belt.  You made the right call

True, true. You don't want to be the guy with the phone belt. But, having the phone in a cargo pants pocket, one can say I got lots of junk in my pants.

I don't see tubes filled with gummie bears. All I see is hundreds, perhaps thousands bottles of wines and two ladies laughing at the poor people that don't live in Beverly Hills while sitting by the pool. Priceless!

bread's done
Back