Boxing Discussion Thread: It ain't dead yet!

dohdough

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Gonna start this off with CAG's own Philly Kutz's reaction video to the announcement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ooyIcoZYcc

It's finally here!

Mayweather Vs Pacquiao

Official Announcement Press Conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL7EQk6C3jA

Showtime Profile focusing on Mayweather

Inside Mayweather Vs Pacquiao Ep 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiO6-5Qj4Zs

Inside Mayweather Vs Pacquiao Ep 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10nI8r22wcw

Inside Mayweather Vs Pacquiao Ep 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFF8NCWwddc

HBO Profile Focusing on Pacquiao

Mayweather/Pacquiao: At Last

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF76dlQt23c

No 24/7 or All Access for this fight.

We all know who these individuals are, so I'm not going to go into it. Personally, I see this going the way every Mayweather fight has gone, but with a mixed decision win. I'm actually a huge fan of both fighters and in my heart, I want Manny to win...I just don't see a knockout happening, which is the only way to beat Mayweather.

My first experience with Pacquiao was the famous De La Hoya fight. It was amazing! Especially with having an Pinoy fighter in a sport where there isn't a lot of Asian representation. He was fast as hell and packed a heavy punch. It was so different from watching Tyson fights in when I was in elementary school because Pacquiao is a tiny dude. It was love at first sight and I made sure to watch all of his fights.

In 2011, Pacquiao Vs Mosley was announced. All the stars were aligned and I bought tickets. They were not cheap...lolz. I was maybe 10 rows behind Press Row and watched most of the undercards with Mosley's son and gf a couple rows behind me. It was a great experience to be at the MGM. I thought I got seats by the entrance walks but was totally wrong...in a good way! We were sitting right by the exit walkway for all the fighters. I still think they had the best entrance walks ever with LL Cool J rapping Momma Said Knock You Out and Survivor's lead singer singing Eye of the Tiger LIVE. It was totally unexpected because they were doing sound checks with those songs throughout the undercard matches. Totally electrifying.

Bu Boy gave me the thumbs up after his figher's match, someone in Mosley's entourage threw Mosley's wrap as a souvenir, and Manny gave me a wave.

I started watching Mayweather after the Money got added to his moniker and I love all his fights...even the one with Ortiz. They're always entertaining. Never been to any of hit fights, so no fun stories.

*I'm wiki'ing this thread because if there are other fights coming up that others want to discuss, they can post videos and schedules when I can't. OP will always be a work in progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool another boxing fan. My first Pacquiao fight was Ricky Hatton, after that I was a fan. My current favorite fighter is Miguel Cotto. I was actually more hyped up for Cotto vs. Alveraz than Pacquiao and Mayweather. I guess the long wait for the fight just killed all the major hype I have years ago. Still watching the fight tonight though. I got Pacquiao, who are you going for?

Cool another boxing fan. My first Pacquiao fight was Ricky Hatton, after that I was a fan. My current favorite fighter is Miguel Cotto. I was actually more hyped up for Cotto vs. Alveraz than Pacquiao and Mayweather. I guess the long wait for the fight just killed all the major hype I have years ago. Still watching the fight tonight though. I got Pacquiao, who are you going for?
All great fighters there. Cotto vs Alveraz is a guaranteed better fight then Mayweather vs Pacquiao...haha. There's just no way to know how tonight's fight is going to play out. My heart says Pacquiao, but my brain says Mayweather.

I believe that all the undercards that aren't under the main event are streamed for free through Top Rank's site, which should start at 3:00 PST.

Gotta say, it kind of looked like the only thing either of them cared about was making a shit ton of money. Keep swinging those pillows, boys. ;)

They're already talking about a rematch, haha. $$$

Fight was boring, pretty sure the Compubox punches thrown numbers were made up.  Mayweather would be great on Dancing With The Stars.

I agree it wasn't as exciting as it should have been. But I mean what did anyone expect out of Flyod? I know I got exactly what I expected out of him, and can't complain. I thought it was a good fight, but it would've been a GREAT fight 5 years ago.

Maidana did a much better job with Mayweather the first time they fought than Pacquiao did tonight. Should have use his game plan of not respecting Mayweather and just smother him with punches. I don't think I would want to see a rematch of these two. Pacquiao never really did anything that putted Mayweather in real danger. Maybe if it was a close fight but it wasn't at all. If there's a rematch could they charge the same amount of money for PPV and would people actually pay for it?

after watching the fight just now, it was definitely a mayweather fight. counterpunched nicely, defense was on point & killing manny with the jab. manny needed to be more aggressive/take some risk but he didn't really. really interested in who they fight next.

Some people are trying to stir up that Pacquiao won because, on the official scorecard, the judges got the corners wrong.

original.jpg

Surprised no one mentioned The Burger King in Mayweather's entrance. I wonder how many millions he got paid for that.#jealous

Love the Hublot watch ad on his trunks too. All the hits to their site shut it down. :rofl:

I totally get that people are upset that they spent 100 bucks for that, but at the same time it's hard to have an extreme amount of sympathy. A LOT of Floyd's fights are like that. Very defensive and counter-punch based. Honestly (and not that I'm giving the fight any real credit here), but it was actually slightly better than I was expecting, considering how dull a lot of his fights are.

It's just annoying when I see Twitter blowing up with people who have probably never watched a boxing event in their lives so totally outraged. I'm not claiming to be a boxing encyclopedia at all, far from it. But I knew what I was probably going to be in for. Dropping 100 bucks and expecting the greatest event in sports history just because it was hyped is a blueprint recipe for disappointment. Heck, the HBO fight this weekend will probably be much, much better.

Surprised no one mentioned The Burger King in Mayweather's entrance. I wonder how many millions he got paid for that.#jealous

Love the Hublot watch ad on his trunks too. All the hits to their site shut it down. :rofl:
My favorite part was Jimmy Kimmel. It was also nice seeing all the Batmans there watching the fight too.

I totally get that people are upset that they spent 100 bucks for that, but at the same time it's hard to have an extreme amount of sympathy. A LOT of Floyd's fights are like that. Very defensive and counter-punch based. Honestly (and not that I'm giving the fight any real credit here), but it was actually slightly better than I was expecting, considering how dull a lot of his fights are.

It's just annoying when I see Twitter blowing up with people who have probably never watched a boxing event in their lives so totally outraged. I'm not claiming to be a boxing encyclopedia at all, far from it. But I knew what I was probably going to be in for. Dropping 100 bucks and expecting the greatest event in sports history just because it was hyped is a blueprint recipe for disappointment. Heck, the HBO fight this weekend will probably be much, much better.
Word.

Anyone that expected a slugfest never saw a Mayweather fight, but this was no Pacquiao from Pacquiao vs Clottey either. Clottey covered up the entire match, but at least Pacquiao put in the work and took some risks. I'm not saying either fighter should allow themselves to be tomato cans, it's just that Pacquiao has become a much more reserved fighter even before his KO by Marquez, so to expect the return of the Old Manny was wishful thinking.

Here's the post fight presser if anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzPUpvi_2NM

Word.

Anyone that expected a slugfest never saw a Mayweather fight, but this was no Pacquiao from Pacquiao vs Clottey either. Clottey covered up the entire match, but at least Pacquiao put in the work and took some risks. I'm not saying either fighter should allow themselves to be tomato cans, it's just that Pacquiao has become a much more reserved fighter even before his KO by Marquez, so to expect the return of the Old Manny was wishful thinking.

Here's the post fight presser if anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzPUpvi_2NM

Holy crap....this is great. :lol:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=177&v=pCVhyrgWSBY[/youtube]

This is my problem with Mayweather. He has basically constructed a system that is about as close to cheating as you can get without being penalized for it. He's got good speed, good movement, and almost always has a reach advantage over his opponent (the last time he didn't was against De La Hoya in 2007...where Mayweather took a split decision win).

Logically, this allows him to live on the outside and pick guys apart. It's smart. It makes sense. So, when you're going up against him, you think "Ok, how do I beat this guy? Well...I have to get inside his range and negate his strengths." That's what logic dictates.

But almost any time somebody is able to do that, Floyd just grabs on and waits for the referee to separate them...resetting the fight to Floyd's preferred distance. It's almost like playing tic-tac-toe where you always get to go first. You can just dictate what happens and ensure victory every single time.

Now, Mayweather can't take all the blame for this. After all, the ref allows him to do it and the sport of boxing doesn't have a problem with him doing it. Furthermore, for whatever reason, the judges see this tactic as a "strategy" rather than a stalling technique.

But for me, it's very much a lowest common denominator style of boxing and it's no coincidence that almost the entire world (even former boxers) were let down by the performance.

Oh boy looks like Pacquiao was really injured. Now there might be a consumer lawsuit. Most likely it won't go no where though. Too much money was at stake for him to pull out. He's going to get shoulder surgery that would put him out for 9 to 12 months. I don't know, when I heard the story I thought Pacquiao camp was being a sore loser but there were reporters that were questioning why they didn't see him spare a few weeks before the fight. Mayweather last fight is in Sept and I don't think there would be a rematch. Even if there is, I am not sure I would want to really watch it. Pacquiao could also face a fine and suspension for not disclosing his shoulder injury too.

What's funny is Dana White basically predicted this (maybe not exact circumstances...but close enough).

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/5/1/8531493/dana-white-floyd-mayweather-vs-manny-pacquiao-is-not-the-fight-of-the-century-boxing

As for a rematch, the only way that's at all interesting is if Manny entirely reworks his strategy. You can't let Floyd hug on you. You just can't. For anybody to have a shot against Mayweather, they have to get nasty. Get inside and bully the fuck out of him. When he clinches, brute force him off of you and drop bombs. If you just sit there and do what he's expecting you to do, it's just going to be a blueprint for another effort free win.

Of course, that strategy requires that the fighter have a willingness to get KTFO himself...which doesn't really seem to be a common attitude in boxing anymore. But it would get Mayweather out of his comfort zone and make him earn it. If a guy can't do that, they might as well not even get in the ring.

What's funny is Dana White basically predicted this (maybe not exact circumstances...but close enough).

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/5/1/8531493/dana-white-floyd-mayweather-vs-manny-pacquiao-is-not-the-fight-of-the-century-boxing

As for a rematch, the only way that's at all interesting is if Manny entirely reworks his strategy. You can't let Floyd hug on you. You just can't. For anybody to have a shot against Mayweather, they have to get nasty. Get inside and bully the fuck out of him. When he clinches, brute force him off of you and drop bombs. If you just sit there and do what he's expecting you to do, it's just going to be a blueprint for another effort free win.

Of course, that strategy requires that the fighter have a willingness to get KTFO himself...which doesn't really seem to be a common attitude in boxing anymore. But it would get Mayweather out of his comfort zone and make him earn it. If a guy can't do that, they might as well not even get in the ring.
Maidana did that in his first fight with Mayweather and it worked really well. He just couldn't keep it up.

Oh damn! Anybody watching the Canelo fight? It has more action in the first round than all 12 rounds of Mayweather and Pacquiao so far.

Edit: Damn that was brutal!

Ok, Thread is now wiki-ed.

Haven't been able to watch the Canelo fight yet, but I have no doubt that it was more entertaining in terms of boxers slugging it out.

Yeah I don't know what Kirkland was doing, he dropped both of his hands when Canelo connected with that punch.

Side note, I really hope Cotto wins next month. So we get Cotto vs. Alveraz.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jty6PhU4Zuk[/media]

quality isn't too good but makes its point

I am appalled that you guys ignored the Evander Holyfield vs Mitt Romney fight. I mean, seriously...Mayweather who? :lol:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzQboLwo6Tk[/youtube]

bread's done
Back