Expiring Xbox credit... argh... tips on how to spend it?

zohar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
So over a year ago, I bought some Xbox cards on sale, and of course, now they're going to expire due to Microsoft's "points to dollars" conversion a while back. I thought I'd have an Xbox One by now, but I see no reason to buy one yet since I have a PS4.

I do have 360, but I'm not sure there are any games worth buying at this point...

Any tips on what to spend it on? I have $70 in credit right now.

Keep a eye on the weekly sales leading up until expire date. If worse comes to worse you can buy digital Xbox One games through Xbox.com with your balance, even if you don't own one yet/ That way down the road when you get one you'll have some games q'd up, not the best option but better than nothing.

Give it to me.
Serious question, but is it possible to give points away?

I've got a minuscule amount (50 cents) that's expiring on 6/1 and I know I won't be using it. If someone is just a few cents/points away from something, I'd rather just let them have it.

Can't you use MS point/space bux to rent movies and shit? Save yourself a trip to Redbox and use that if you can't find something to buy.

Liquid-Swords, that like is for your avatar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get Pinball FX 2 and go nuts with the tables. Tables you purchase on the 360 are a free cross-buy on the One. The Star Wars tables are on sale this week to boot.

I have about $175 I need to spend that was converted from points that I assume would expire June 1st. I got an email from Microsoft saying I have $89.50 credit expiring June 1st. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm not sure why only some of it is saying it is going to expire. I'm afraid to take it at face value and spend that $89 and have the rest "expire". Such bullshit how these expire. Absolutely no reason for it.

If I could gift games or credit, I'd gladly do so! But it seems Xbox does not support this.

@Viva Las Vegas: The expiration dates are based on when you claimed the credits. So if you redeemed a 1600 pt card on one date, then another later, their expirations will be different.

I wonder what happens since $89.50 of my $175 credit is expiring, does that mean the next $89.50 I spend is taken from my expiring funds? Impossible to know since you can't get a clear answer anywhere. If anyone knows otherwise please fill me in. Thanks.  

I wonder what happens since $89.50 of my $175 credit is expiring, does that mean the next $89.50 I spend is taken from my expiring funds? Impossible to know since you can't get a clear answer anywhere. If anyone knows otherwise please fill me in. Thanks.
Microsoft will automatically spend your expiring, or "promotional" funds first. So anything you buy will go towards that $89.50 balance first, and then after that it will start using up the remaining $85.50 that doesn't expire.

Pinball Arcade just relaunched all their DLC (the actual title update to play them isn't out yet but will be shortly...weird I know).

It's the Rock Band of pinball games (Pinball FX2 is the Guitar Hero of pinball games). TPA is the pinball game you want. Better physics, real tables.

I have about $47 in credit to spend.

I'm thinking either The Witcher 3 (not sure how much I'll play it, seems hyped)

or State of Decay and Wolfenstein New Blood

Microsoft will automatically spend your expiring, or "promotional" funds first. So anything you buy will go towards that $89.50 balance first, and then after that it will start using up the remaining $85.50 that doesn't expire.
Thanks. Do you have any link where this is stated. Just wanna be 100% certain.

Does anyone know if expiring funds can be used on digital pre-orders, like Black Ops 3?  And I assume they use the funds immediately, instead of "holding" them and waiting til the game releases at which point the funds would've expired and I'd be screwed?

I was going to ask how you know some of it is expiring but I guess they sent an email (which I don't have). Still, is there a place on your account that shows this? I know I had a bunch converted at some point. But I think I've probably spent enough of it that I used that part up. I also probably still have old points codes to redeem. What happens to those when you redeem them? Are they only good for a year or something, or are they good forever if they were redeemed after the original conversion date? I know for sure I redeemed some cards a couple of months ago and have not spent that money yet.

I was going to ask how you know some of it is expiring but I guess they sent an email (which I don't have). Still, is there a place on your account that shows this? I know I had a bunch converted at some point. But I think I've probably spent enough of it that I used that part up. I also probably still have old points codes to redeem. What happens to those when you redeem them? Are they only good for a year or something, or are they good forever if they were redeemed after the original conversion date? I know for sure I redeemed some cards a couple of months ago and have not spent that money yet.
You can check how much (if any) is expiring and when they expire here: https://commerce.microsoft.com/PaymentHub

Basically any unused points you had back when they converted from points to cash will expire June 1 of this year. You can continue to redeem any point cards you own, and those points will expire one year after you redeem them.

More info here: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billing/microsoft-points/microsoft-points-retire-faq

I bought points years back when they were on sale, but I'm not big on downloadable titles so I still have a bit left. Rather than buy cheap crap that will just add to my backlog, thought I might just use it to pre-order BO3 if it works... I'll wait one more week though to see what next week's sales might be.

Thanks for the link. I actually used the online chat and called the 800# to try and be re-assured that the expiring credit on my account will be the credit that is used first. We'll, they didn't fill me with confidence. It took asking the same question about 10 times before they'd actually attempt to answer it. They would answer with shit like "yeah if you add a credit card to the account it will come from that"???? This is both the online chat and speaking to someone at the 800 #. When I pressed it seems like the expiring credit should be used first, but they sure had a hell of time saying it clearly. 

[attachment=14417:temp.jpg]

I couldn't get that link to work because Microsoft's own Internet Explorer won't ever load my Microsoft account (yeah, go Microsoft!). I have to use Firefox and can't cut-n-paste because of the CAG referral link. But I found where to go anyway and apparently I have nothing expiring June 1st but I do sometime this year. If only this displayed properly.  Yeah, it is just cut off like that.  I tried resizing, reloading, everything...

Why is it that web sites/browsers are so fuck ing broken these days!? I blame it on all the ads and flash crap. Web worked just fine in the 90's before corporations took it over.

bread's done
Back