Looking for handheld system recommendations

mjlgaard

CAGiversary!
It looks like I'm going to start a job that will include a fair amount of waiting so I'd like to get a handheld system. Some handheld games I've enjoyed include Dragon Quest IX, Puzzle Quest, and Scrabble. I'd appreciate any opinions on the current generation of systems.

New 3DS. Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Street Pass, Mario 3D Land, Xenoblade, Shin Megami Tensei, Zelda, Luigi's Mansion, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, Super Smash bros., and more.

Find something productive to do while you wait...

But if it's one where there is literally nothing to do it would help to know what your genre presences are. I would personally say 3ds but I am a huge fan of 1st party Nintendo games and SRPGs which thanks to backwards compatibility, it has a great library of.

On the other hand you might be better served by a tablet or a vita depending on tastes. I can't speak for the Vita library but I am sure there are great games. I do wonder how long Sony will remain committed with low sales and reported lack of interest in Playstation TV, but then I have wondered that for a long time so what do I know?

One thing to keep in mind with tablets, though, is an increasingly frustrating amount of games are requiring wifi to play even in offline single player mode. Most of the better full scale games don't. Also with tablets some real classics are starting to be ported. Most of the Bioware Infinity Engine games have been ported. Kotor too. A lot of big name classic and modern board games familar to those in the hobby have great virtual adaptations

Make sure to open any games you want to play immediately after downloading and installing because it is likely with many of the games that they will need to download an additional file after the initial installation. Obviously, the file can't be downloaded if you don't have wifi. Nothing worse than going to play a game and finding out you can't. Or having to wait for a gig of data to download.

Nvidia has a couple of interesting Android devices that work completely differently. I am mobile so I can't post a link but Google Nvidia shield for a tablet and an android device that has a controller built in. They can also make use of Nvidia's Grid system if ya have a good enough computer and network to stream pc games.

Finally, if you do choose a tablet that lends itself to other things such as an e-reader etc. But you may want the physical buttons. You can always use a Bluetooth controller but that holds its own unique conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate the replies. I love rpgs which makes me lean towards Nintendo. I've never owned a tablet so I'll need to do some research. 

New 3DS. Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Street Pass, Mario 3D Land, Xenoblade, Shin Megami Tensei, Zelda, Luigi's Mansion, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, Super Smash bros., and more.
Also, if he liked Puzzle Quest add in Puzzle and Dragons Mario Edition that will be out in a few weeks.

I appreciate the replies. I love rpgs which makes me lean towards Nintendo. I've never owned a tablet so I'll need to do some research.
There are a good number of quality RPGs on the 3DS (though, sadly, no Dragon Quest in English yet), so if you liked the DS's RPG library, you'll like the one for the 3DS.

Well... I personally say tablet for the classic bioware crpgs but there is a huge difference in price for one a good size to run it on at a suitable size and a 3ds. Though you might make that up in games.

Besides you probably mean jrpgs :) A 3ds probably has the higher quality library of jrpgs and certain larger scale experiences. Plus in my mind there is certainly no Zelda or Mario killer on a tablet. On the other hand unless you seriously get addicted to a free to pay the games don't go for $25 and up.

Thanks to all for the input. I will probably get a DSi since it's cheap and has a bunch of rpgs I haven't played.

I would greatly recommend a 3DS instead. OG models are pretty cheap and it is backwards compatible with all DS games. Plus, the 3DS has a ton of great games DSi can't play.

Ooh, ooh! PSP-3000. The screen looks gorgeous, and hacking opens it up to a world of emulators. Add a memory stick to SD Micro adapter and you've got yourself one helluva handheld for well under a hundred dollars. Plus, if you want RPGs, brother does the PSP have RPGs. Too many to count, but some notable titles include Disgaea and its sequel, Final Fantasy Tactics and Crisis Core, Star Ocean and its sequel, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, a handful of Ys games, and Valkyrie Profile Lenneth. The games are often stupid cheap if you're willing to get them on UMD.

Do you have PS plus?  Vita can be an outstanding value if you've been "banking" the free games every month.  I don't own one yet but I'm considering it for that reason.

I have a 3DS XL and love it.  Lots of great games you can sink hours into.  The obvious 1st-party Nintendo stuff, not to mention the Virtual Console which can be great depending on your tastes.  I love having some OG Game Boy games available at any time, not to mention having the original Super Mario Bros. 1-3 on hand is pretty rad.

IMO the eShop alone makes the 3DS worth it over a DSi.  Digital games work especially well on a portable system.  I'd say at least go for an original model 3DS if you're looking to save money and don't mind the smaller screen.  Don't forget, smaller screen also means the system itself is more portable!

bread's done
Back